Chapter Four: “It freaks me out how comfortable you are,”

To The Uncertain Me

 

Chapter Four: “It freaks me out how comfortable you are,”

 

Cha Eun Gyul stared at his phone, his expression a mix of deep longing and hard somber. He was trying, honestly, he was…but Jae Hee would not leave his thoughts. He had tried everything. He had tried dating other girls until he had a small crisis believing that perhaps he actually was attracted to men.

He wasn’t.

He tried distracting himself with soccer. He spent more time on the field than anyone. He even helped the maintenance to keep himself busy. He studied hard. His grades were immaculate. But the moments in between is what got him. The girl who had captured is heart had managed to take it to America with her. He still couldn’t let go of her.

He accepted that Tae Joon had won…bastard hadn’t even wanted her as long as he did. He didn’t have to go through the emotional torment he did to get her. He just had jump over a damn bar to get her attention while he risked his future. He's only read ty love stories like that. He was officially ‘that other guy’. He was Shin Woo here, watching Tae Kyung whisk his girl away. Ji Hoo to Goo Jyun Pyo, Nakastu to-…wait a second-

“Cha Eun Gyul, dinner’s ready!” His mother called, snapping him out of his thoughts. With a last glance at his phone he stood and exited his room. He’d figure out what to say to her after he ate…

---

Jonghyun walked comfortably next to Minho. Considerately but to the older annoyance, he had slowed his long gait to a slower one. They walked in silence for a minute or so, Minho’s breathing evening out and his nerves calming.

“So…how did you get Taemin to open up like that?” he asked suddenly. “No offense, but he’s not even like that with Key.”

“What? What do you mean?”

“I mean…he’s snappy and kind of challenges you. He never does that. He barely talks as is.”

Minho remembered Jae Hee saying that Taemin didn’t talk much. He had a lot of trouble believing something like that. What on Earth made him any different? From the moment they had met Taemin seemed much more outgoing than what everyone was telling him.

“That’s…weird. I wonder why he’s different with me?”

“Because you’re weird.”

“We’ve known each other for fifteen minutes and you can just decide that?”

“Then why don’t you tell me what’s up? We’re all pretty curious about you: the guy Jae Hee drags back from Korea.”

Minho rolled his eyes very slightly. He had no idea how to feel about them thinking he was some lovesick puppy over Jae Hee. Frankly speaking she was the one who had faked her gender and dropped her whole life just to be in the same school as him. How could he not…? Well, she was a girl and…

After a moment of struggling with his thoughts he responded. “Do you guys honestly not know a single thing that happened in Korea? You don’t know why she went or came back?”

“No, and frankly it’s driving us all crazy. We shared with her what happened while she was away but still…the secrecy. Her brother and John won’t tell us anything either so you…” he leaned forward and locked eyes with Minho, “…are the only one who could tell us.”

He looked away uneasily. There was no way he was going to blurt out who he was and have them awe fawn over him and treat him differently. It would end up getting out and the media would show up and…”I can’t say anything right now. Partially for my own reasons, but also to protect Jae Hee.”

This startled Jonghyun. “Well, you’re definitely going to have to tell us, at least Key because once he hears that he’ll kill you unless you spill.”

“Keys seems…like a very important person,” he didn’t know what made him say that. It just sort of slipped out and now he felt embarrassed.

“He is.” Jonghyun said immediately, then chuckled, “He does give off that air though doesn’t he? You’ll see the more you hang with us. Sometimes everything will seem to revolve around him…but that’s because it actually does…” abruptly he paused and stared at Minho until he couldn’t take it.

“What?” he asked after a few seconds.

Jonghyun sorted, “I don’t like tall people.”

He almost kept his response to himself, but couldn’t stop himself. Jonghyun had been too random for him to collect himself. “Then you must hate everyone over the age of 15,” he cringed afterwards, wondering if he’d gone too far. What if Jonghyun and a height complex or something?

The older, however, looked to him and chuckled, “Key’s used that one already,” he pursed his lips before curling them into a smug smirk that made Minho raise a brow. “Last week, in fact,”

“Oh, sorry?” he was a little lost at the triumph in his eyes. He guessed that he and Key were best friends or something and he was laughing about an inside joke.

“Don’t be,” Jonghyun shook his head and stopped to look over his shoulder. “But anyway, you rap? How good are you?”

Minho stopped too, nearly tripping over himself. “Um, I’m…I don’t know really I just sort of do it sometimes.”

“Well, Taemin has awesome taste in music- he takes after me of course and if you sound good enough to wake him up then I’ll give you a shot. You got anything against bands?”

“Bands? Like…idol groups and-?”

“No, not like that!” he waved his hand impatiently before pulling out his phone and starting to text someone. “We have our own band and need a fifth member. You in?”

“Um,” he floundered for a moment. Right now he was more focused on school and Jae Hee. Actually, he didn’t know why he was hesitant. It was a great way to get closer to them but he wasn’t sure if he was…good. They had a band and…what if they were good and he ?

Jonghyun’s phone rang and he picked it up right away, “I was just sending you a text. Yeah, I’m with him right now. Yes…yeah I know. Oh, I got him to join the band, Key.” Minho’s eyes widened and he shook his head but Jonghyun smiled and turned away, starting to walk back the way they came.  “Hon, I’ll explain everything when we leave okay? Just trust me, I think he’s good enough. Okay…we’ll head back.”

The older paused and looked back to find that Minho hadn’t budged. Hey shared a good stare before he sighed and began to follow him. “Thanks for deciding for me.”

“I heard you weren’t jumping anymore. You’ll need something to do, right?”

“I guess.”

Their conversation tapered off for five minutes, the sound of their footsteps accompanied by Jonghyun humming something softly. It sounded good to Minho, making him wonder if he’d hear him sing anytime soon. Soon enough the humming wasn’t enough and he spoke again.

“How old are you?”

“Eighteen,”

“Oh,” he snorted, “I heard you tried to get Taemin to call you Hyung,”

Minho wondered just how the hell he knew that.

“You don’t have to call me or Onew Hyung, you know,” he teased. “But you and Key are the same age so…”

“What? Aren’t you guys in college?”

“Key and I are freshmen. Onew is a Sophomore. I’m nineteen though, and he’s twenty.”

“Oh, must be smart.”

“He is, but he did it to keep an eye on me. I didn’t want to go without him but he didn’t want me to wait so he just kicked it up and boycotted me for a year so he could graduate early. He’s studying fashion though. He wants to be a stylist.”

That explained the endless fabric. “What about you and Onew-Hyu…?” he cleared his throat and chose not to look at Jonghyun’s smile.

“Both of us are music majors. I want to be a song writer and stuff, but Onew wants to be a vocal instructor. Personally I think he should do musicals, but you’ll see once you hear him sing.”

“They’re in the band?”

“Yeah, it’s Onew, Me, Key, and Taemin.”

A strange feeling shot through him. “Taemin? He can sing too?”

“Key says he can, but we have yet to hear him sing above a whisper so far.”

Minho smirked, “Who is this person you all say he is? I’d like to meet him.”

They neared the park, and once they were in sight of the table Minho spotted Jae Hee and was startled by how easily he had forgotten how upset he was with her. He walked by her and sat next to Taemin who was getting his hair brushed by Key and eating a sandwich. He was given a scowl which Jonghyun caught and gawked at.

“Feeling better, Minho?” Onew asked around the chicken nuggets he was eating. His gaze looked with Minho’s and the athlete warmed under the genuine concern he saw.

“Yes, thanks.” He said, and wished to say more but couldn’t think of anything.

“Try not to run off dramatically from now on. This time was okay but it’s going to get old if you keep doing it.” Key said, boldly taping Minho’s head with the brush he was holding. He looked to Jonghyun who shrugged and smiled up at Key.

“Minho’s in the band, he said yes,”

“I didn’t say yes,”

“You’re still coming,”

“Good, me getting the rap and singing parts was too much,”

“Welcome,”

“Who invited you?”

Everyone turned to Taemin who was staring a hole into Minho’s face. Key tapped Taemin’s head, “Minnie what’s with you? We need a rapper and Minho raps.”

“Is it because his name fits in the thing?”

Key and Jonghyun snorted in unison. They stopped and looked at each other playfully, Key pointing his brush, Jonghyun his drink.

“What are you talking about?”

“We’ll explain that later Taemin, so hush. Minho, are you hungry?”

Minho looked up to Key with question in his eyes. “Yeah, but-“

“It’s the ‘I’ in your name. Jong In was supposed to be our rapper but he spends all his time with D.o. now so…we’ll settle for you,”

“Pretty snarky for a supposed mute,”

“Pretty stalker-ish for a supposed friend,”

“Jae Hee and I have nothing to do with you,”

“She’s my cousin,”

“She’s my friend,”

“Notice the lack of girl before friend,”

“Why do you care?”

“I just do.”

“Are you…jealous or something? Because that’s-“

Taemin scoffed, crossing his arms. “I’m not interested,”

“Of course not. She’s your cousin,”

“I meant you-“ he froze and stood suddenly, pulling his iPod out of his pocket. “Creep,”

Minho opened his mouth to shoot a response at his retreating back but Onew, Jonghyun, and Key all covered his mouth. Shocked, he looked up at their wide eyes and quieted. When Taemin had his buds in they spoke.

“Bummie, that’s almost scary,”

Onew raised a chicken nugget to his mouth, “It’s like he’s his old self or something,”

Key flopped down and cupped his cheeks, “What makes him like that? I mean, you didn’t even say anything out of the ordinary,”

They all looked to Minho and he raised his hands defensively, “As far as I know he’s always like that.”

There was silence until Luna came up behind Onew and wrapped her arms around his neck, “What’s wrong?”

“Taemin just told Minho off and left,”

Her brows furrowed, “Taeminnie?” They all glanced at the now dancing youth and looked back at Minho in confusion. “Does he…oh….” She grinned, “Maybe he likes-“

Onew covered and got up, carefully silencing her as they moved away from the table. Key began stuffing clothes into his bag. “Jjong, let’s go. I’ve decided on what everyone’s going to be.”

“Am I going to be Batman?” he asked eagerly only to pump his fist excitedly when Key nodded. “I’m Joker, of course and Minnie is going to be a geisha.”

“Jesus Key isn’t that-?”

“A challenge? Yes, but I saw this Kimono that I already have tailored and Luna can do his hair so…” he shrugged, shouldering his bag. “Onew and Lulu already agreed on the shining prince and princess thing.”

“She just wants to see him in white pants,”

“And she will. There’s a coat design with gold trim that’ll be perfect.” He looked thoughtful, “Your sister hasn’t said anything to me.”

“I don’t think she’s even thinking of Halloween yet considering it’s still September,”

“Then she’s on her own. Jae Hee is still on about being Dara from that group she adores, right?”

Jonghyun nodded, his gaze drifting to Minho. “Oi, Bummie…what about Minho?”

“What about me? Halloween…is-“

“Luffy, from One Piece.”

Minho shut his mouth and then opened it again, “I like One Piece.”

“Don’t we all?”

“Really?”

“Do you have any books with you?” Jonghyun perked, “Onew likes to keep his Korean up s if you have any…”

“I do.”

Key patted his shoulder, “Good, bring it tonight when you and Taemin come over.”

He choked slightly, “What?” Why did they think Taemin wanted to be near him? The others brushed him off and exited, making him fall behind them towards the cars. Taemin was dancing rather aggressively next to the cars; Jae Hee and Amber sat on the hood of her car watching him with slight interest. When she saw him she slid off and came over, pushing past Key and Jjong to get to him.

Minho’s lips thinned slightly at her look of pleading and shook his head before she could speak. “I’m not angry, but I don’t want to talk about it right now.”

Everyone watched them separate, something odd and distant forming in the ever expanding space between their backs.

It was the start of something dying.

--------------------

Let me apologize for taking so long. But I wanted to give you guys this for New Year’s! I will be posting a bit more frequently since I’m on break. In fact you can expect more within the next few days despite me being separated from the full outline of TTUM. I had finals and now I can find it…*cries*

If you followed me on tumblr then you know what’s in store…since I keep dropping bits like I don’t have people actually reading this…*sorry*.