Chapter One: "I don't have to call you anything,"

To The Uncertain Me

 

This is coming along well...

Chapter One: “I don’t have to call you anything,”

 

Taemin observed the guy gazing at is cousin warily from the kitchen. Who the hell was he anyway? If he knew her then maybe he knew why Jae Hee had disappeared to there for a few months. Still, he seemed…cliché…ish. Mr. Tall-Dark-and Handsome type than would romance you and marry you and be a good father and all that.

“What am I saying…?” he grumbled, pulling the stranger a bottle of juice out of the fridge. He pulled out his phone and shot Kai a text:

To: Kai

From: Minnie

Some random guy from Korea just showed up and started holding Jay.

He headed back to the garden, intent on breaking up their little whispering session. Regardless of who he was, he was going to protect his cousin.

“…so if everyone knows than all of this will blow up in our faces and I’ll have to go back and-“ Tae Joon looked up at Taemin and swiftly caught the bottle tossed to him. “…Thanks,”

“What are you doing here?” the younger asked adamantly. “Don’t tell me you came all the way from Korea just to pop in,”

Tae Joon blinked. What was with him? He was younger and so he had to address him correctly. “I’m Choi Minho,” he started, “I went to the school Jae Hee attended while she was in Korea and before she left I promised I’d see her again,”

Jae Hee smiled at him but then gave Taemin a look, “Why are you acting like that? You’re usually so shy around people,”

Taemin stared at Minho. She was right, usually he’d just avoid their gaze, go inside and leave them be. But this person for some reason… “So you came all the way here to see her? Are you rich and lonely or something?”

The athlete shifted slightly. Rich…a little. Lonely… “Jae Hee and I are close,”

“It’s not like you’re dating though; she likes someone else,” he said firmly. Jae Hee gaped at him, wondering just why he was being so vicious. His phone beeped and he pulled it out as ‘Minho’ looked at her with wide, confused eyes. She whispered something to him as he read Kai’s text.

To: Minnie

From: Kai

Kill him. We’re coming soon to pick you up for practice.

“Everyone knows I have a thing for him,” Jae Hee was saying when he looked up. Minho had relaxed, and was even smiling. Taemin raised a brow. “Taemin let’s help him get along with everyone okay?”

Minho looked at him with slight annoyance and his own flared. “Whatever, D. O. and Kai are almost here, I’m getting changed.”

They watched him get up, his eyes lingering on Minho’s before turning and going back into the house. Tae Joon looked to Jae Hee anxiously. “Does he live with you?”

“No, he lives down the street. He came over because he said that his neighbor’s move in crew was really noisy.” She responded and then paused. Her face brightened, “Kang Tae Joon, did you move in down the street!?”

“Minho,” he corrected. “And yes I did. My father let me have it, but only until the end of the school year.”

Jae Hee clapped her hands together, glad that her friend would be close again. “Oh, I have to get changed too!”

Tae Joon raised a brow, “You dance?” He remembered that she could also sing. He had a strong urge to follow and watch her.

“Yeah, TAEMIN!” she called, jumping up and jogging to the house. Said boy came running back, eyes wild and ready for anything. When he saw her alright he calmed down a bit, which offended Tae Joon slightly. “taemin, I’m going to get dressed too, so can you walk Ta-…Minho back to his house?”

“I’m not walking him-“

“I don’t to be walked-“

Jae Hee slapped Taemin’s arm and pouted, “Aish, why you acting like this!? Just wait until I tell Key about you!”

“Jae Hee…” he pleaded, rubbing his arm. He glared over at Minho, who seemed amused by the attack, “Fine, but only to make sure he doesn’t do something improper to you,”

“What kind of person do you think I am you punk?” he flinched towards Taemin whose eyes widened and he put on the kicked puppy face. Minho froze and felt his throat tighten. Taemin’s lip curled.

“Works on them all,” he said sneered and turned away. “Let’s go,”

As he walked away Jae Hee grabbed Tae Joon’s arm, “He never acts like this. It’s really strange…”

He shrugged, “I guess I have to get used to how things work here. No more honorifics I guess.”

“I’ll call you Oppa still,” she promised as he started forward to follow Taemin. “I’m glad you’re back, Kang tae Joon,”

He turned around with a smile, walking backwards a few paces and then turning again to catch up to Taemin. She clasped her hands together, hoping that they wouldn’t fight on the way there. Why on Earth was Taemin acting so out of character? Usually he was quiet and quirky, saying funny things and being so…him. But the moment he saw Tae Joon he had become this strange, hostile person.

Jae Hee’s smile faded slightly. She didn’t know how to feel about him being here. He should be resting a bit before he started conditioning again. He’d be even better in the next Olympics if he did well. The thought made her frown again. She often wondered if thinking about Tae Joon the athlete more than Tae Joon the man was a bad thing. Well, now she could get all of her feelings sorted out. She’d send Eun Gyul a message later about him being here.

Further down the road the two walked in silence. For some strange reason, Tae Joon felt nervous all of a sudden. Taemin was being oddly quiet compared to the jabs he thought would be aimed at him. He was Jae Hee’s family so he didn’t want to be harsh, but he didn’t like being bothered.

“What happened in Korea?” Taemin asked suddenly. None of us know, and if you’re so close to Jae Hee and was with her while she was there, then you must know.”

Tae Joon sighed, “After all this time she still hasn’t said anything?”

He watched the younger shake his head, his long hair moving like a small waterfall. “John went to New York and Julien found this woman there named Se Ah and married her or something. We ask but she won’t spill.”

“”It’s for her to say then. There’s a reason, I guess.” He mumbled. So none of them knew about their relationship… No wonder he wasn’t warmly welcomed or anything. He felt awkward all of sudden, being a stranger who literally walks up and starts to be very forward with a female family member. Had something like this happened with Han Na he’d kick someone’s , and then leave the rest to her boyfriend…

There was silence for a while, one that was thick and familiar to Tae Joon. He had felt it when he was thinking of something, anything to say to Jae Hee to fill the silences between them. But Taemin spoke again.

“Are you an athlete? You kinda look like a model too,” he had shoved his hands into his pockets, tilting his head to peer at him. It was weird how he was acting now compared to before, but Tae Joon decided to go along with him.

“Yeah, I did some track…but why a model?”

“…your face…” the younger mumbled, then spoke up, “Your face looks like one’s,”

So slightly that he didn’t notice, blood swirled under his cheeks. “I get that sometimes. You look like one, too. You’re so skinny though…do you eat at all?”

Taemin laughed, “I eat a lot, Minho.” He responded automatically, but then paused. This was getting weird. He hated when guys mentioned things like that about him. Some leered at him and looked at him like a girl, and so he hated being looked at by them. But this jerk here who was stalking his cousin didn’t inspire disgust in him like usual. He decided to change the subject as they neared his house.

“Your move in crew was noisy,” he said, a slight whine in his voice. “Did you not pay them or something?”

Tae Joon developed a thoughtful look, “I kind of walked off…maybe they were upset or something.”

“So careless,”

“You punk…” he growled lightly, “It’s going take getting used to my juniors not addressing me properly…”

“I’m no calling you Hyung. I only call people Hyung if their special Hyungs.”

The medalist snorted, “How many ‘special Hyungs’ do you have?”

“About four…” he looked at him sharply, “What are you implying?”

Minho put up his hands defensively, “Nothing,” he smiled mischievously. Taemin punched his arm lightly and his eyes widened, “Yah, who do you think you’re hitting?”

“My cousin’s stalker,” he countered. Tae Joon grabbed the front of his shirt but was blinded my car lights on them. He heard a slam and suddenly someone was between him and Taemin.

“What do you think you’re doing to my cousin?” the person said, his face unclear until Tae Joon blocked out the headlights.

The guy was attractive, sharp features and a certain face that looked somewhat like Taemin’s. He was taller though, and darker. He had shoved the boy behind him and was glaring daggers at Tae Joon.

“Why are you upset with me? Your cousin is punk,”

“Kai, it’s not like that,” Taemin said, coming out from behind him. “This is the guy from Korea.”

Kai gave Tae Joon a once over before disregarding him entirely, “Why are you over here alone with him? You’re supposed to be getting ready for practice. Is Jae Hee ready?”

“Lee Taemin,” prompted a voice from the car. The headlights went out and a man was revealed sitting in the driver’s seat, older than all of them and looking a bit tired and curious. “Introduce us properly.”

“Oh,” he cleared his throat and flushed slightly, “This is Choi Minho, Jae Hee’s ‘friend’ from where ever she went to last year. You, this is Jae Hee’s and my cousin Kim Jong In, but call him Kai. That’s Do Kyung Soo Hyung, but call him D.O.” he gestured correctly and then proceeded to smirk at Minho, much to Kai’s surprise.

“One of your special Hyung’s?” Tae Joon said immediately.

“Bastard, I knew you’d say that,” he retorted. D.O. and Kai reeled back in shock as he punched Minho’s arm again. Tae Joon punched him back and flinched at him again. “I still don’t have to call you anything!” He said before darting behind Kai.

“Yah! What are you guys doing!?” called a voice. They looked up to see Jae Hee jogging up in sweat pants and a tank, making Tae Joon glance away nervously at her abundance of skin. “Taemin, why aren’t you dressed yet!?”

They stared at said person who looked to Minho accusingly. He shrugged and looked away. “I’ll go right now.”

The boy turned and jogged in his house, leaving one smug and three confused people outside. Kai turned to Jae Hee, “Did he drink a bunch of banana milk or something? He’s acting weird.”

“I know, I don’t know why…” she ran her fingers through her hair and shook her head. “It’s like the moment Kan--…Oppa came he’s been acting like this?”

Kai and D.O. looked at said person who was looking away from them all, particularly Jae Hee. “I’m heading in,” he said suddenly. “I’m coming to school tomorrow okay?”

He had spent the earlier part of the day registering, which was why he hadn’t gotten there until late. Why else would he have to drag his poor father all the way here?

Jae Hee clapped her hands together, “That’s right! Kai, help me with him getting along with the others, okay?”

Kai scratched the back of his head, “Er, yeah…?”

“Oppa,” she closed the distance between them and placed a hand on his arm. “We’ll be over tomorrow so that we can all go together, okay?”

Tae Joon nodded. This was his last day being Kang Tae Joon, Olympic High Jump Medalist for a while. Tomorrow he was going to be Choi Minho, Goo Jae Hee’s somewhat significant other.

------_

I’m trying to slowly get people to slowly get into the feeling of him not being Choi Minho who’s pretending to be Kang Tae Joon, but Kang Tae Joon who’s pretending to be Choi Minho. What a twist. Ahem, any who I’m going attempt to release a chapter a week so, please look forward to it. I think that this is going to be somewhat lengthy since we got the UNCERTAINTY To The Uncertain me tell you guys so the connection ‘cause if you don’t I will sob. Feel free to req the hell out of getting your OTPs into this fic, so long as they don’t make things difficult and strange…

Every review makes my heart beat faster. Aish…you guys know how to feels to get one yourself. Like…out there there’s someone who agrees with whatever it is that you’re trying to pull off.