III

My Sunshine is the Smile on Your Face

The summer house. It... it wasn't a house, in Eunhyuk's opinion. It was a shack. A piece of . Of course, he didn't voice out his opinion, but he was sure at least one of his family members must've noticed the grimace on his face upon seeing the... 'house'. It was on top of a hill, surrounded by field and forest, there were a few other shacks like it around the area, and smoke was rising from their chimneys, so people were apparently spending time there as well. It was tiny, only two rooms, then a separate building for the bathroom. Oh, and there was no electricity anywhere. A gas stove, heating was by a fireplace, and a cellar to hold their food. They also had a barbeque kind of thing outside, and Eunhyuk was sure they'd be using it a lot. They also had a radio that worked with batteries.

"It's... interesting," Eunhyuk tried to smile, but his face was telling he was obviously lying.

"You can tell if you don't like it," his mother sighed. "I know you're used to a different kind of living now."

"Well, yeah," Eunhyuk shrugged. Sunny beside him elbowed his side, trying to imply something Eunhyuk didn't quite catch. "It's nice!"

His mother looked at him up and down, and then left inside. Sunny laughed, but Eunhyuk wasn't even sure why. He took his luggage and carried them inside as well. He would be sleeping with Sungmin and Sunny on the kitchen room floor, and the smaller room would be for their parents together. It was quite different to the king size bed, that Eunhyuk suddenly found himself missing greatly. Everything was different, and the culture shock was still affecting his views of his home. Anyone would feel out of place after changing from downtown of New York to countryside of South Korea.

It was already pretty much night, and after unpacking the necessary things, they decided to hit the bed. As Eunhyuk laid there, between his snoring siblings, he couldn't think about whether or not leaving New York was a good thing or not.

 

"He lives next door!" Sunny's bright voice woke Eunhyuk up from his peaceful slumber. His back ached immediately, the thing mattress between him and the floor did close to no help.

"Who lives?" Sungmin asked. He was sitting next to Eunhyuk, his feet on the other's stomach. He was eating something from a bowl, probably his breakfast cereal. Sunny plopped down next to them, grinning and opening to receive a spoonful of Sungmin's soggy treat.

"The guy," she winked, and Eunhyuk groaned. Of course. "That guy. Sweetie guy."

"Sweetie guy," Eunhyuk repeated. "Are you serious?"

Sunny smiled, then stood up, and pointed out of the window. Eunhyuk crawled up, dropping Sungmin's feet off of him in process and looked out of the small window as well. There he was, on the field, digging something. Sweating. Shirtless.

"Oooh," Sunny squaled. "Damn, if it wasn't for Kyuhyun, I'd get that."

"Don't let him stop you," Sungmin winked, but got a kick in return. Eunhyuk laughed at the fighting idiots, and Sunny pulled him into their wrestling as well. Magically, no one got cereal on them, as the room was filled with giggles and various shouts of ow.

"I don't understand what you have against Kyuhyun," Sunny pouted later. Sungmin chuckled, shaking his head.

"It's just that you're my sister," he petted Sunny's hair. "And he's an idiot."

"Yah, shut up! He's my idiot," Sunny giggled. Then, suddenly, she stood up and dusted herself off, straightening her top and shorts. "Which reminds me, I need to call my idiot."

Sungmin shrugged and decided that now it was a good time to go back to sleep. Eunhyuk wasn't so sleepy anymore, so he stood up and ventured outside to the bathroom. On the way there, he saw his parents outside, doing gardening work together. He smiled at the sight, and thought for a while of offering his help. He decided against it when he remembered the manicure he had a few days back. He took care of his business in the bathroom, and as he was washing his hands on the dish filled with well water, something caught his attention behind the table. A dog, a cute little white dog was wagging its tail at him, tongue hanging out.

"Hi, little buddy," Eunhyuk smiled and bent down to scratch its ear. It barked happily and sat onto the ground, and Eunhyuk petted its little head. He wondered who it belonged to, until he heard a shout.

"Bada!"

It sounded scarily similar to the same man he had been talking to yesterday. Eunhyuk picked up the dog, and walked with it to the other side of the house, where he saw the working man shouting. The dog was very small and light, so he raised it up as much as he could, but still kept it secured so it wouldn't fall.

"Is.. is this your dog?" he shouted as well, and the man instantly turned around and squinted towards Eunhyuk in the sunlight. "Is this Bada?"

Even from that far, Eunhyuk could see the man's face turning into a grin as he shouted yes. Eunhyuk smiled as well.

"Do you want me to bring him to you?"

"Stop shouting!"

Sungmin's voice echoed from the open window, and Eunhyuk could hear Sunny laughing somewhere. He didn't want to bother Sungmin anymore, so he started walking trough the field, trying his best not to step on anything gross with his expensive sneakers. They were a bit old, but that didn't mean he wanted them to get messed up. The man was also walking towards him, and they met on the middle of the field. Eunhyuk gave Bada carefully to the other's arms.

"Thanks," the man nodded. "He's a little rascal."

"He's cute though," Eunhyuk bit his lip. Like his owner, he almost added. "Weird to see you here."

"Same goes to you, I just thought you were passing by to get into a big city, you don't look like country people," the man petted his dog at the same time as talking to Eunhyuk, but still kept his eyes locked on the other man's.

"I'm not," Eunhyuk laughed. "On a holiday. I'm Eun- I'm Hyukjae."

"Donghae. I'd shake your hand but...," he lifted up the dog, who barked at Eunhyuk, looking as happy as ever.

"You live here?" Eunhyuk glanced behind Donghae, towards the slightly bigger house than theirs.

"It was my late father's. Me and my family spend our summers here," a sad smile graced Donghae's face, and Eunhyuk didn't want to poke around in the father subject anymore. "You?"

"I officially live in the States, here for... I don't know. For some time," Eunhyuk shrugged. Donghae's eyebrows raised.

"States? Wow," he looked genuinely amazed. "I've always wanted to visit. You work there?"

"I work all over, but mostly, yeah."

Donghae smiled. He seemingly didn't know what to say next, and frankly, Eunhyuk didn't either. Awkward silence followed, and Eunhyuk used the chance to study Donghae's face. He was quite cute, and there was something innocent in his boyish looks. At the same time, he looked very mature, very manly. His brown hair was short, sticking everywhere since he had probably been brushing it out of his face while working. Eunhyuk couldn't disregard the fact that he was shirtless, and his tan skin was glistening with sweat. His eyes accidentally traveled too south, because Donghae coughed above him.

"I'm sorry," Eunhyuk shot back up. "I'm- I'm need to go. See you."

He rushed back, almost tripping over in the tall grass. He heard Donghae laughing behind him, and he turned to look over his shoulder to glare at him.

 

The next few days were nothing but implications and hints from Sunny, who had apparently seen the exchange between the two on the field.  She kept winking and saying suggestive things at Eunhyuk, and earned a lot of weird looks from the rest of the family. The time she wasn't spending on teasing Eunhyuk, she kept talking about Kyuhyun, who was apparently coming for a visit tomorrow. Of course, he would be welcomed with open arms, everyone else except for Sungmin and Eunhyuk thought he was a very sweet boy. Eunhyuk because he didn't know Kyuhyun, Sungmin because... well, Eunhyuk didn't know why, but he probably had his reasons.

Even if he was still getting used to the life on the countryside, so far it wasn't as bad as he first imagined. He did miss the internet and his own bed, and he missed the huge fridge in his house, and he kind of missed Leeteuk fussing over him more than his own mother did. Leeteuk probably didn't miss him as much, he had Sehun to work over, and Kangin to keep him company. At least they were happy, he thought. He didn't really care whether or not they were together or not, if it didn't affect on his career in negative way, it was all okay.

It was kind of sad, though, because if they were, that meant two of the closest people to him back in New York were a couple, and that meant they were two, and he was one, and they would no longer be three. They would have their own things together, their own jokes and own fights, own problems and own sorrows, own hills to climb and would no longer be there to help Eunhyuk with his. It was selfish to think that way, but he had always needed someone to be there, be behind him to catch him if he fell. He sighed, poking the food on his plate. Sungmin caught this little action. They were together on the table, eating yesterday's leftovers, since Sunny and the parents had gone to fetch Kyuhyun from the city.

"What's wrong?" Sungmin set his own fork down, getting a better seat on his chair so he could look at Eunhyuk fully.

"Nothing," Eunhyuk looked up, smiling a bit.

"Don't lie to me, please," Sungmin puffed out his cheeks and pouted, and Eunhyuk couldn't help but laugh. Sungmin had the weirdest ways to get people talk. Eunhyuk set his chin onto his palm and let a breath out.

"I'm kind of lonely," he admitted, and he heard as Sungmin clicked his tongue.

"It's okay, you're with us now. And you won't be lonely forever," he shrugged. "Love has... it has unpredictable ways. You never know when it comes. Or where it comes. It just kind of, hits you in the face, you know. Sometimes other people see it before you do yourself."

"That's what happened to you?" Eunhyuk's question made Sungmin blush slightly.

"Well, kind of. It wasn't love on the first sight, it just... grew. We were together a lot, and before I knew it, I was head over heels. And the same happened to him," Sungmin scratched his cheek. "It's not like in the movies, it's just a feeling. It's a strong feeling, and it might take over your life for a second, but it's not world-shattering, nothing like that. It's a warm feeling all over, kind of like the first sip of hot cocoa, but it's all the time. Am I making any sense?"

"Not really," Eunhyuk burst into laughter over his brother's mushy acting. "Kind of. I don't know. I'll tell you when I fall in love. Which is never."

"Don't be like that," Sungmin reached over the table to pat Eunhyuk's head. "It'll come to you someday."

 

Kyuhyun was nice, nicer than Sungmin let Eunhyuk believe. He seemed to be very nervous, meeting Eunhyuk and Sunny's parents, and he was clearly frightened by Sungmin. Sunny tried her best to make Kyuhyun comfortable, but the young boy was stiff as a stick for the most part of the first day he was there. On the second, and the third, he started getting looser, and Eunhyuk found it easy to talk to him. Kyuhyun recognized Eunhyk almost immediately, telling that he had seen him in many magazines, and it was weird that he was suddenly in front of him in flesh. Eunhyuk found it a bit uncomfortable, he didn't want Sunny's spouse to treat him like a celebrity, but more like family instead.

Kyuhyun was snarky and sarcastic once you got to know him. He could be a little mean, but never to Sunny. Who clearly had him whipped, by the way. But Kyuhyun seemed to be as happy as ever to be with Sunny, and even if Sunny did often tell him to do things, she loved him just as much. They were such a sweet couple, and the height difference just made them a tad bit cuter. Only downside to them was that Kyuhyun had to stuff himself into the mattress the siblings shared, and apparenlty Sunny and Kyuhyun couldn't keep their hands off of each other, even if her two brothers were inches away. Sungmin was deep in slumber, snoring softly, but Eunhyuk could hear everything, every little breath and quiet moan, every little whisper, every little rustle of the sheets, so he politely crawled towards the door and exited the whole house before he witnessed any more. 

It was night, of course, but not too dark. Eunhyuk glanced upwards and saw why. There were countless of stars adoring the black sky, a sight that left him breathless. There were no starry skies like this in the big city, but here, were there was no unauthentic light ruining the view, everything was visible, and it was beautiful. The moon was almost full, and it was huge, creating even more of the magical glow around the area. Eunhyuk sniffed, it was so stunning. He walked off the porch and towards the field, hoping to get even a better view. He was walking with his face towards the sky, so he didn't notice he walked into someone laying on the ground. At first he thought it was either murdered or a corpse, but he looked down, and only came to see Donghae, with his eyes staring up at Eunhyuk.

"Well, hi there," Donghae smiled and sat up. Eunhyuk stared at him for a while, just completely quiet.

"Hi. Why are you here?" he blurted out. 

"Couldn't sleep. Why are you here?"

"My sister's future husband came to visit," Eunhyuk chuckled, and sat down. 

"You don't like him?" Donghae questioned, not quite understanding Eunhyuk's drift.

"No, I do. I just... don't want to listen to them, you know...," he blushed a bit, but of course it went unnoticed in the darkness.

"Ah. I understand," Donghae grinned, then laid back down. "It's beautiful. The view."

"Yeah. I think so too. I've never quite seen anything like this. It's so different from the lights of the city," Eunhyuk sighed.

"Dad always used to take me here when I was little. Kinda reminds me of him," Donghae went completely quiet after this. Eunhyuk, who had been staring at the sky, looked back down at Donghae. A tear was rolling down his cheek and onto the ground, the moonlight reflecting on the drop.

"Don't cry," Eunhyuk tried. He didn't like when people cried, because it often made him cry as well.

"Sorry," Donghae sniffed, and reached his hand to wipe away the tears falling.

"Don't be sorry either," Eunhyuk choked out. "You can cry. I'm probably going to cry as well."

Donghae gave a half-sob, half-chuckle as he sat up again. His eyes were glistening with tears, but so were Eunhyuk's.