Walking Down the Road of Reminiscence

Defying the Strings of Fate

PART 2: Walking Down the Road of Reminiscence


"Fresh apples! Fresh apples!"

 

Traders' boisterous voice boomed around the place, confusing your ears as they seemed to be thrown at you from every and any corner.

 

"Travelers! Come! You ought to be interested!"

 

Entertainers eagerly executed swift gestures at the crowd, attempting to attract passer-bys' or more precisely daredevil souls for a mind-tricking game.

 

Light hearted cries filled the air as carefree children ran past the unlikely visitor, playfully sticking their tongues out at their friends. Middle aged women exchanged the latest rumors concerning the prospective marriage of a certain nobleman between them in excited and hushed voices. It was just like any other late afternoon. The Plaza had always been as lively as right now, brightening the youngster's mood up even at the rare days he felt like being chained at the bottom of a pit.

 

"Show off your skills with the bow! You may win a prize!" A man loudly shouted on his left, clapping his hands in wild anticipation.

 

His feet abruptly came to a halt as his head snapped to the side. This one stand especially caught his attention as a heart-warming memory slowly flowed in his mind. Despite his saddened mood,  the young man couldn't help his lips from slightly curling up as he approached the once challenging game. A series of pictures from a pleasant day had entranced his soul as his fingertips longingly grazed upon the wooden craft.                                         

 

"Woah! The string is stiffer than I thought!" The boy with ebony hairs exclaimed, his eyes sparkling in excitement and his mouth agape in awe.

 

A small hand indulgently tugged at the rigid looking string before seizing the bow with a stronger and more confident grip than the first time. He handily grabbed an arrow, unwaveringly holding its feathery end against the stiff string as his eyes skillfully aimed for the targeted circle.

 

"No, Tao." The elder man chuckled at the younger's inadequate act. "Not like that." He wrapped his arms around him, gently pressing his chest against the other's back as he traveled his hands to his'. "You have to hold it like this..." The more experienced one slightly squeezed the younger's hands as he showed him the appropriate manner to hold an arrow and a bow. "And then, when you have mentally aim for the target, release the arrow in a swift, yet smooth motion... like this." He huskily whispered near his ear, his hot breath tickling his sensitive skin.

 

His lips drawing up into a satisfied smile, the young male loosened his strong grasp, letting the arrow briskly pierces through the air in a faint and brief swooshing sound.

 

Tao's nearly always present grin grew wider when the arrow landed in the outermost circle, his blazing aura of utter bliss momentarily blinding the teacher.

 

"Woah! I did it! I really did it!" The boy with raven locks shouted, shoving his arms in the air as he jumped in bewilderment. 

 

He whirled around, facing the older man with a eye-blinding smile before tackling him into a warm embrace as an approach to show him his thankfulness. The latter scoffed a laugh in mild amusement, ruffling Tao's hairs lovingly.

 

"You're the best, Kris!" Tao beamed, staring up with sparkles glowing in his dark pupils. "I love you!" He giggled as innocent and oblivious as ever to these words' effect upon Kris.

 

Lowering down the emptied bow, Tao dully stared at the arrow oh so precisely pinned right on the bull's eye. Fragments from the treasured memory that recalled him of the moment he had been introduced to archery slowly dissipated like the foam aimlessly lingering upon the ocean. 

 

"Woah! You've improved so much, Tao!" The stand's owner exclaimed, clapping in awe.

 

"Thank you, Joon-sshi!" Tao bowed, having properly drawn a define line between memories and reality. 

 

"Aish! When will you stop being formal around me?" Joon exasperatedly complained, dropping his arms on the counter in a dramatic manner.

 

"No can do." The young sailor smiled apologetically as he put the bow back to its former place.  

 

"Well, I'll just have to wait a bit." Joon coolly laughed it off as he reached for the prizes. "Congrats, Tao! You hit the jackpot!"

 

"Oh..." The winner mused, half-heartily gazing upon the panda pillow he had envied others to own.

 

He should be soaring to the ninth cloud and jumping around insanely, but... instead, he was rather feeling... melancholic? A bitter sensation blent with nostalgia, slowly spouting within him. His dark orbs wistfully trailed towards a peculiar object lying amongst many similar ones, slowly drowning in loneliness.     

 

Ah, it was you back then, right?

 

"Joon-sshi. Just give me this." Tao requested, pointing the lamest-looking price among the offers.

 

The older male raised an eyebrow, skeptical and sensing that something might be off. That was when he noticed the lost and blank gaze that had glazed his usually sparkling pupils.

 

"Tao, are you sure?" Joon inquired as he hesitantly exchanged the most-desired panda pillow for the consolation prize. "I thought... I thought you loved everything related to pandas..."      

 

"Hmmm." Tao mindlessly nodded, reaching out his hands to cup the bibelot as if it was an inestimable artifact.

 

"Tao, is something the matter?" Joon worried, comfortingly reaching out a hand to pat his head. "You can tell me."

 

However, it was futile. Tao meekly shook his head, purposefully avoiding the friendly touch. A surge of unknown feelings clouding his mind, the youngster turned his back to the warm individual. He took a step forward, then another, and from this point onwards, he could no longer control his feet as they effortlessly led him towards a place his subconscious had chosen.

 

Simply wishing to escape from reality, Tao sealed his eyelids as an invisible path drew itself before the young man. The deafening voices from the merchants were becoming hoarse after being abused for an entire day. Giggles and sighs sneaked in the engrossing chatting between the ladies as more precise tidings was revealed on the ading rumors, making them wonder in astonishment if they might perhaps hold more truth than they thought. Carefree laughter enhanced the effervescent atmosphere as children enjoyed their playtime with one another, occasionally pulling out harmless pranks. Overwrought clamor arose from a crowd that had gathered around a few awe-inspiring artists, impressed by the newly-mastered stunning performance. A chariot passed by the young man, the faint rattling sound from its wheels adding to the background track. The voices and loud uproar eventually faded away as the youngster silently strolled along a rarely used road.

 

The carpet of stiff pebbles scattered on his path gradually softened as he walked farther away from the town. Soon, the sprightly chirping from the birds reached his ears, inviting him to hear their modest, yet entrancing melody. A soothing breeze gently welcomed him, a salty, yet refreshing scent wafting to his nose. A pleased smile graced his features as he heard the familiar swashing sound of waves tumbling upon the smooth sand.

 

He opened his eyes, his hand seizing the small object tighter.

 

He was facing the ocean, where everything had started.         

 

**********

 

Hues of warm colors adorned the celestial canvas, slowly stretching upon a sleepy land as the mighty star drew nearer to the skyline. In the approach of nightfall, restless voices echoed from a far, beckoning our attention towards the animated area of the kingdom. In the midst of rushed stir, a tall man made his way among the oppressing crowd. He quietly apologized as he swiftly walked past them since most of the people were settling their furniture or displays. He occasionally stopped, frantically looking around as his eyes anxiously searched for any sign of the raven-haired boy. He loosened the collar of his shirt, huffing out fiery breaths from madly ransacking the entire town. Beads of sweat had appeared on his forehead and temples from being exposed under a blazing sun.      

 

"Yah, Kris!" Someone shouted his name, sounding quite annoyed.

 

Recognizing the voice despite himself, he span around, facing a fellow acquaintance whose eyes seemed to pierce his body with deadly daggers.

 

"Oh, Joon, have seen Tao?" Kris asked nonetheless, opting to simply ignore the other's unknown wrath.

 

"Wu Yifan, you're one charming idiot." Joon told him, putting his hands on his hips.  

 

"What have I done?"

 

"That's what I would like to know." The accuser demanded, his tone stoic. "Tao wasn't acting like himself." He sighed, letting the other aware of Tao's unusual behaviour. "And I'm 100% sure that you're the culprit. Like always." Joon snapped, pointing an accusing finger towards the taller man.    

 

"Fine. I'll just be honest. I messed up." Kris admitted, displeased by the turn of events.   

 

"Dear almighty First Mate, why are you still standing here then?" The stand's owner deadpanned, looking straight in his eyes.  

 

"What?"

 

"Find Tao and sort out your relationship for God's sake!" Joon threw his hands in the air in an overly dramatic way as if it was the most obvious thing to do.  

 

Well, he was right for once. Whereas the nobleman wanted to thank him for his implied support, the urge to tease even a little bit was bound to be rather entertaining.   

 

"Tch, like you are one to talk." Kris playfully retorted, subtly casting his gaze towards a younger-looking stranger —hopefully not for too long. "How long are you going to wait for something to happen between Bang Cheolyong and you when you don't even dare to make a move?"

 

"Wh-who?" Joon stammered, seemingly flustered by the unforeseen words as he hastily averted the other's eyes.   

 

"Please, you thought that I haven't noticed the way you have been eyeing the apple seller across the street?" The First Mate deliberately scoffed, a smirk tugging his lips up.  

 

"Oh God, shut up!" His love-struck friend growled, hiding an embarrassed face behind his hands. "Wait." He almost instantly lifted his head up, something having clicked in his brain. "What did you say his name was? Bang Cheol Yong?"

 

"Lee Chang Sun, you are one pathetic idiot." Kris shook his head, expressing his disappointment in the one he thought was a sweet talker.

 

Leaving him in his dreamy trance over finding his love interest's name, he turned around, processing to walk away. Still wearing a goofy smile, Chang Sun noticed his friend's tacit departure. Suddenly remembering something — crucial according to the latter, he hurriedly rushed to his archery stand and ran back in a record time, trapping a large cushion under in one of his arm.  

 

"Yah!" Joon yelled, loud enough to make the other turn around. "Take this with you." He said, nonchalantly handing him the panda pillow after approaching him.

 

Skeptically accepting the present that'll more likely enliven Tao, Kris furrowed his eyebrows in mild confusion as he questioned the giver with his eyes.

 

"He forgot it." Joon replied, having fathomed his gaze. "You've taught him well. He won the first prize."  

 

The First Mate nodded in understanding before switching back to his former self.

 

"You should worry about yourself now." Kris smirked, stirring his chin towards a certain individual. "He's about to leave." He reminded him, inwardly satisfied with the priceless expression on Joon's face.

 

**********

 

Seagulls let out shriek cries as they flew upon the crystalline waters, the tip of their feathers brushing against the wavering ripples. Waves idly collapsed on the shore, embracing the smooth sand before quietly retreating back to their homeland. Formerly strolling along the beach, a crestfallen boy sat down, settling in a place far enough to not be disturbed by wetness. Several sighs escaped from his mouth, a saddened gaze lingering beyond the skyline and morosely contemplating the sunset.  

 

"You seem troubled, youngster." A voice softly stated in his left, sounding awfully close.

 

He feared that his soul had jumped out of his body for a split second when he heard an unfamiliar voice addressing him. The youngster abruptly snapped his head towards its owner, later wondering how he hadn't broken his neck. Speechless, he just stared at the young lady sitting beside him with a pair of scarily widened eyes, his brain slowly registering the woman's heavenly features. She had long silken-like hairs that framed a lovely face, the fine tips resting about her waist. Her milky skin was flawless, uncannily unaffected and disgraced by the rough seasons. She slightly tilted her head, wondering why he had remained silent.            

 

"Wha-what! Wh-who are you?" The boy screamed after the passing shock, his heart thumping loudly in his chest.

 

"Hmm?" The young woman hummed, hints of mirth showing in her tone. "I have been given many names, though I tend to prefer to be called the Dimensional Witch." 

 

The Dimensional Witch? The boy pondered over this strange situation for a few seconds as he suspiciously examined the lady blessed with a inhuman beauty. Was he supposed to believe such a thing or what? Oh well, she didn't look like someone with obscure intentions or who might lie or who would harm him.   

 

"What brought you here?" He finally managed to ask, appeasing his uneasy heartbeats.   

 

"You." She brought up a slender hand, pointing him. "You are lost. It intrigued me."

 

"Lost...?" He wondered, somewhat confused.

 

"There is a conflict within you, Huang Zitao." She told him in a mellow tone, reaching out her fragile-looking hand. "Confusion. Sadness. Deny. And fear?" She mystifyingly whispered, tenderly his cheek. 

 

"I guess you're right..." Tao sorrowfully conceded, averting her sincere gaze.  

 

Her hand dropped as if she felt guilty to have made him sink in sadness. She hadn't intended to do so. She was simply there out of curiosity. It had been so long since the last time she had approached a mortal and engrossed herself in their emotional problems.

 

"Do you mind if I tell you a story?" The lady proposed, faintly smiling in a way she wished it could comfort him.    

 

Arousing his innate curiosity, Tao momentarily tossed aside the melancholic thoughts. Sparkles had started to shine in his pupils as he turned his head, facing the young woman. He quietly nodded, growing impatient to hear what kind of story she could tell someone she barely knew. Sensing his eagerness, she chuckled, delighted.   

 

"There was once that girl. She wasn't the smartest nor the fairest. In fact, she bore a horrible scar that disgraced half of her face. However, her heart was the purest. Thus, she captivated the prince's heart. Soon, love blossomed between the two of them." She started, half-sealing her lids as if it could refresh her memories. "But, one day, sickness plagued the prince, his health worsening with each day that agonizingly slipped by. Tears were shed as she prayed every day, pleading the Heavens to spare her loved one's life. Touched by her sincerity, her prayers were answered... but at a cost." She paused, a passing shadow glazing her eyes.

 

"What happened to her?" Tao timidly asked when a tad too long silence fell upon them.

 

"The next morning, the prince recovered." She told him, forcing on an apologetic smile while her gaze drown in sadness. "But, not once did he call her name. Not once did anyone wonder about her whereabouts." She continued, her hand meekly gathering up some milky powdery and letting it fall down between her slim fingers. "For she had become a lost memory." She whispered the last sentence.  

 

"Did she die?" The raven-haired boy hesitantly wondered, biting on his lower lip.     

 

"She now lingers in the deepest parts of an everlasting ocean, vowing protection upon her love's offspring and people." She weakly shook her head, letting out a softened snicker.        

 

Discomfort welling up within him, Tao chose to remain quiet, musing over the mournful tale. Why did it feel like he had unintentionally poured salt on forgotten wounds? His heart sank at the possibility.

 

"Love is scary, isn't?" She broke the distressing silent, reassuringly smiling at him.  

 

To be honest, he didn't know what to say. This feeling called love had never really crossed his mind before.  

 

"I feel sad for her." He admitted instead, lowering his head.  

 

"Oh, you shouldn't."  

 

"In the end, she couldn't be with the prince and he even forgot about her. That's... tragic."

 

"Despite being scary, love is also mystifying." She said in apprehension, wiping off any sign of sorrow from her features. "After claiming the throne, he had never desired a Queen. It was enough for her."

 

"Wait. That sounds familiar..." He blinked a few times, his eyes widening when he realized something. "Oh! I think that I've read about a King like this in one of the history book!" He said, coming across the similarities. "Don't tell me—Huh? Where did she go?" He anxiously peered around him, scratching his head in confusion when he suddenly found himself alone.        

 

He simply shrugged it off. He might have dreamed about it after all. Now that he thought about it, the encounter was too far-fetched and odd to have actually occurred. He nodded in approval with himself before jumping on his feet. Straightening his clothing, he his heels, proceeding to leave the peaceful place after noticing that the night was drawing near.  

 

If I were you, I wouldn't leave right away.

 

A woman's voice softly whispered, its message lingering in his mind.

 

" Huh?"

 

 Startled, he peeked over his shoulder, deliriously searching for the slender figure. Did he imagine it? Was he too tired for his own good? Just when he was about to take a step forward, someone shouted his name, freezing him right on the spot.    

 

"Tao!"

 

He would recognize this deep, yet caring voice anywhere.

 

"Kr-kris?" Tao stuttered, tickly gulping down a lump of saliva as he awkwardly glanced at the approaching man.  

 

"So, you were here..." Kris sighed out of relief, running a hand in his dyed hairs.  

 

"I don't think there's any reason to be worried. I merely took the day off." Tao shyly told the older man, pursing his lips.  

 

"It's your first time... Asking for a day off." Kris clumsily came up with a lame excuse.

 

A suffocating silence engulfed the two of them when none of them knew what else to say. Casting his gaze everywhere but the other's eyes, Tao came to notice a familiar panda pillow trapped in Kris's arm. Following his stunned gaze, the latter remembered what he had been holding for quite a while now.  

 

"Here." Kris grasped the pillow, literally stuffing it in Tao's bewildered arms. "You forgot it at Joon's stand." He simply added.

 

"I told him that I won't have it. After all, I took something else." Tao said, reluctantly resting his chin on the soft pillow as he hugged him tighter.

 

To be honest, he had wanted to have it for so long. He mentally banged his head on a wall. What was he thinking back then? Oblivious to younger male's inner rant, Kris squinted his eyes, noticing a new accessory around his wrist.     

 

"Huh? Isn't that...?"

 

Snapped back to reality, Tao tentatively hid his hand from his acute sight. However, he was too slow. Kris grabbed his wrist, confirming his assumptions now that he had a clear view of the bracelets.   

 

"Isn't that the consolation prize? The same as the one that you have won the first time?" Kris realized in consternation, locking eyes with Tao as if to find the truth in his pupils.    

 

"The one that you have made me win." Tao reminded him, vainly trying to free his hand from the strong grasp. "What are you doing?"

 

The First Mate had tugged at one of the braided bracelet, easily snatching it away in a swift motion.    

 

"You already have one, don't you?" Kris remarked, releasing his grip on Tao's wrist. "You might as well give it to me as a thank-you gift since I'm the one who had taught you the art of wielding a bow." He flashed the younger man's a smirk as he tied it around his wrist.      

 

"B-but like this... It's as if we're wearing matching bracelets..." Tao nervously mumbled, feeling his cheeks heating up at the realization.

 

"Is there something to be ashamed of?" Kris cocked up an eyebrow, definitely not having the same worries as Tao's. "Let the people misunderstand! I don't care!" He blatantly said. "Because this is between you and me." He added, unconsciously smiting Tao's still innocent heart.

 

An unknown sensation overwhelmed him, obliging Tao to lower his head. In other hand, it could also be seen as shyness.

 

"I'm sorry for today. It won't happen again. I made it clear to my father that I will be the one to choose my partner." Kris apologized, letting out a tired sigh as he recalled the conversation. "So, you don't need to be scared anymore. I won't leave you alone. I won't let you feel lonely." Kris reassured him, his voice softer than usual.     

 

"Kris..." Tao whispered, shooting his head up as he was surprised that Kris would utter such words.   

 

"It seems like I'll have to wait for another three years." Kris teasingly grumbled, wondering if Tao would get it.    

 

"Why is that?" The youngster innocently inquired, blinking his eyes.    

 

"I'll keep the reason as a secret for now." Kris chuckled, not surprised at all of the other's ignorance.

 

Well, it was part of his charms.  

 

"You're not funny! Tell me!" Tao whined, oblivious to its hidden meaning, which wasn't all that complicated.  

 

With that, their story had just begun and shall prevail. ♥ 


A/N: Hope you all enjoyed reading this~ For those who didn't get the years mention, Tao is 15 here so will be legal in 3 years.