Those Blithesome Moments That Might Be Ephemeral

Defying the Strings of Fate

S/N: Huang Zitao is 15. Wu Yifan is 18 and still the First Mate. Enjoy the chapter~


PART 1: Those Blithesome Moments That Might Be Ephemeral


{The night of Yixing's illegal stay onboard}

 

"Tao?" A deep, yet softened over the edges voice called him.

 

The once lonesome boy heard footsteps shuffling closer to him and eventually stopped beside him. He subtly peeked to his left as a companion had copied his position, leaning his elbows on the wooden rail.

 

"Hmm?" Tao hummed, a catlike smile tugging at his lips.

 

Over the year, he had grown fond of this man's presence although the thought of never being able to repay him back upset him. He owed him his most precious life. Who was he to deserve the kindness he emphatically showered him every day? Besides, Tao was a pirate's son, confusing him even more why he hadn't despised him instead.

 

"Is something the matter?" His savior worried, turning his head around to face his side profile.

 

"Nothing much." Tao longingly sighed, complying to stare at the dark waters underneath. "Really, Kris."

 

"Is that so?" Kris laughed off his awkwardness, feeling ashamed of always having trouble with words whenever the younger was around.

 

None of the men onboard or in the kingdom — not even his family — would suspect the almighty Wu Yifan, also known as Kris, to be troubled with affectionate emotions. The moment he had saved Zitao — from most likely drowning —, something within told him that he would be special. It happened to be true. Whenever Tao was close, Yifan would soften, getting rid of the cold facade as he unconditionally showed him warmth and protection. He wouldn't tolerate anyone hurting him, whether it be physically or verbally.

 

In fact, Huang Zitao was his sole weakness.

 

"Weren't you getting over excited about the mermaid?" Kris wondered, chuckling. "Where has all the enthusiasm gone to?"

 

"Well, I guess I won't be seeing one soon." Tao pursed his lips, showing his disappointment in this matter.

 

"Oh?" Kris cocked up an eyebrow in amusement before teasingly ruffling Tao's raven locks. "Are you that sad? I will ask Father—"

 

"Nah. No need." Tao refused before yanking his hand off. "And don't mess up my hairs!" He pulled a face.

 

"Have little Tao matured in a matter of a day?" The First Mate poked his puffed cheek.

 

When Tao didn't retort back, Kris found it odd. He seemed to be pondering over something, silently meditating if it was worth reporting or not. It lasted for moment before Tao gazed up, willing to fall under the starry canvas' enthralling charm. 

 

"I saw Prince Yixing set the mermaid free." Tao confessed, skittishly fiddling with his fingers when he lowered his head.  

 

"What?" Kris shouted, utterly astonished by the prince's wearisome behaviour. "Great! Not only did he had to sneak on this ship, he also had to wander around and..." He growled, eventually tiring himself as he scrunched the bridge of his nose. "Aish! He really knows how to mess up with my patience."

 

A giggle escaped from Tao's lips as he witnessed a distressed Kris.

 

"What?" Kris demanded, coming back to his former senses.

 

"You're funny." Tao blurted out, bringing a balled hand to his mouth as he always did when he tried to hold back a indiscreet laughter. 

 

At the sight of a naturally adorable Tao, Kris mentally pictured himself with his jaw hanging down to the floor. How he managed to survive over the year around such a loveable sailor defied his logic. He should have had an heart attack by now.

 

Maybe having his heartbeats growing wilder in his chest and his senses becoming numb could be considered as symptoms that would lead to one sooner or later?

 

Kris tickly swallowed down a lump of saliva as he grasped a hold of what was left of his sanity. He had efficiently hidden this infatuated side of his a tad too perfectly and he intended in keeping it up.

 

"Yah! How dare you laugh at me!" Kris snapped back, trapping Tao's neck around a strong arm and bringing his head under his chin.

 

"Let me go!" Tao faked a cry as he struggled in the restricting embrace.

 

Soon, light hearted hints of merriment had drifted over the darkened place, warming up the chilly night.

 

Yes, it was those spirited and worriless times that Wu Yifan enjoyed the most since no one was there to judge him or require him to do anything according to their desires.

 

It was no wonder why he intended to cherish those blithesome memories.

 

Sometimes, he wondered how this young man, Huang Zitao, had managed to change the course of his life and sneaked in his heart so easily.

 

**********

 

"So tired!" Kris yawned as he stretched his arms above his head.

 

Since dawn, piles of paperwork had heartlessly buried him alive, tiring his brain and hands from all the reading and writing. Why couldn't he get a day off? Exasperated, he ran a hand through his dyed hairs as he stared up at the ceiling.

 

Letting out a long sigh, he felt the heaviness welling upon his eyelids slowly tempting him to take a slumber. Maybe it was a wise option? It would be relaxing. I just need to wake up in a while so that no one would notice. Inwardly approving it, he dreamily smiled as he made himself comfortable on the armchair, contently stretching out his legs as his eyes—

 

"Report!" The door slung open, startling Kris and nearly having his heart knocked out as he sat up straight.

 

"Yes!" He demanded in a rather harsh tone.

 

No one could blame him, really. It was all due to shock. However, the other party wouldn't have possibly been aware of the well-merited rest the First Mate had planned to take. As a result, the intruder flinched at the booming voice, causing him to slightly back away as he feared an inevitable outburst over an impolite act.

 

"I-I'm so sorry!" The boy with ebony hairs apologized as he exaggeratedly bowed several times.

 

Recognizing the lovingly familiar voice, Kris flickered his eyes towards the figure standing near the entrance in mild surprise, dismissing the mist clouding his sleepy mind in a record time. 

 

"T-tao?" Kris stammered, drastically softening his voice as he mentally banged his head on a wall.

 

How could he? He had unintentionally shouted at Tao, the one he had sworn to never frighten in any way. No excuses accepted.

 

"Please, stop apologizing. I didn't mean to... hum... raise my voice." Kris battled with his words, praying he hadn't sounded too awkward.

 

"You're not mad?" Tao hesitantly wondered as he tickly gulped.

 

"No. Why would I be...?" He reassuringly smiled before sighing in relief when he noticed the other male had relaxed.

 

"Oh, really? Then, what were you about to do that made you sound so... annoyed?" Tao inquired, innocently blinking a few times as curiosity had started welling up within him.

 

"Hum..." Kris anxiously scratched the back of his neck, averting the other's gaze before avowing. "I was actually about to take a nap."

 

"Oh." Tao unconsciously brought a balled hand to his mouth, stifling a snicker as his eyes turned into crescents. "You should stop sleeping too much. I don't think I'm willing to serve a lazy First Mate."

 

"Yah!" Kris huffed in utter disapproval. "You better stick with me till the end." The nobleman reminded him while faking a stoic expression.

 

"I don't remember seeing it in the contract... if there's one to begin with." His companion teasingly hummed before clearing his throat.

 

At the youngster's acute switch from playful to serious, the First Mate cocked an eyebrow up in perplexity. Zitao inhaled a deep breath before looking straight in front of him with a stern face.

 

"Your Father desires your presence." The young boy transmitted the fatherly request as he was ordered to.

 

"Alright... I suppose I should..." The officer sighed, trailing off the last words and not even bothering about it.

 

Faintly noticing the conflicting emotions — worry, despise, sorrow, confusion — battling in his darkened pupils, Zitao assumed that the reason his father had solemnly wished his presence wasn't about the most pleasant topic. Yifan once again let out a long sigh in less than a minute as he stood up.

 

I do not want to discuss about this matter with Father, he silently muttered. 

 

Taking burdened steps, he rounded the imposing work table and slowly made his way towards the door. Tao had guiltily lowered his head, hiding his eyes behind ebony bangs when Kris brushed beside him against his smaller frame. The latter seemed to have tantalizingly slowed down his footsteps as if he was hoping for Tao to hold onto him — which he didn't believe it would happen — or speak up.

 

"Kris." Tao's soft voice froze him on the spot as he slowly turned around, not fully trusting his ears.

 

The young sailor still had his head hung low, nervously fiddling with his fingers. It was a question that had haunted his mind for several days already. However, he had never mustered up enough courage to straightforwardly ask the one who would give him a truthful answer. It would either confirm or wipe off the rumors ramming around the crew. 

 

"If... If I may wander in a indiscreet topic..." Tao bit on his bottom lip.

 

Kris nodded, eagerly awaiting his supposingly inappropriate question. The other seemed to have sensed his tacit approval although he wasn't able to see it.

 

"I... I've heard that you'll get married... soon." Tao whispered, afraid to sound too loud or worst, attract curious ears.

 

"No, Tao." Kris reassured him as he half-shut his lids, awkwardly forcing a smile. "It's just an arranged meeting. Nothing more."

 

Do not worry, Kris wanted to add, but refrained his mouth from uttering it. He was afraid it would sound too weird for the younger.

 

"I-I'm not personally affected or a-anything! I-I..." Tao clumsily cleared off misunderstandings that seemed to disturb his peace of mind. "I'm just concerned about you... as a friend." He whispered the last part of the statement in a nearly inaudible voice before practically rushing out.

 

He didn't dare to meet Kris' questioning gaze that he had judged to be too intense. You might be screaming why the latter hadn't tried to stop Tao.

 

You're partly wrong.

 

The First Mate had gripped his wrist in a haste, only to be coldly yanked away as if it was nothing. Yes, he had tried to stop the younger male, but had failed to. When the door unintentionally slammed in the background, its rash sound echoing the room, Kris hadn't move an inch. Something had retained him from running after Tao. 

 

Tears. Unshed ones. 

 

In the mist of confusion, Kris had perceived the droplets b at the corner of his eyes. He deliberately shook the image off his mind, hoping it would somehow dissipate in vain. One thing he was absolutely certain about himself was his flawless eyesight.

 

Wrapped in a tiresome silent, Kris blankly stared at the hand that had been so coldly shoved away, a dull gaze boring at the unmoving palm.

 

"I am such an idiot." He cursed under his breath as he clenched his teeth in frustration, banging his fist on the frightened wall that shuddered under the pressure.

 

I better make it up.


A/N: I am so sorry for not posting anything for so long. I've been so busy with school. T.T