The Little Merman

The Little Merman

Credits to miyounglim12 for the poster @Tokki Beats Poster Shop

Simple and Clean ~ Utada Hikaru


A/N: Ugh, my head... Here I am with a worth 13,000+ words chapter. I'm sorry if it becomes ter (does this word even exist?) towards the end... I was just so tired... Anyway, enjoy!

 

WARNING: 47 pages on Word ahead. Remember to blink and drink water.


To avoid any confusion in the story:

 

Yixing: Prince, the King's and the Queen's son, 20

Yifan: Captain, 22

Zitao: First Mate, 19

Jongin: Yixing's cousin, Prince, 18

Hyoyeon: Jongin's older sister, Princess, 19

Lu Han: Yixing's caretaker, 22

Joonmyun: Youngest son, Prince, has five older sisters, 18


The once haughty sun was drawing near the skyline, eventually forced to give up his astral throne to his nocturnal sister. The lively ripples had tired themselves out, quietly retreating from the playground. A carefree sea gull let out a shrill cry as its feathers brushed against the watery surface before soaring towards the clear sky, its figure gradually growing smaller.

 

The ones who would dare to dive into the shallowly known underwater kingdom would be rewarded by a picturesque sight, literally taking your breath away. Shoals of countless fishes freely wandered around, reflecting hues of dazzling colors as their bodies curled with ease. Where the saltwater wasn't quite deep, jewel-like corals were covering the bottom, tacitly wishing to decorate their precious homes. A few crustaceans would shyly poke out from their secret hideout, eager to take a glance at their surroundings before disappearing from outsiders' curious eyes.

 

This is, however, merely the doorway leading to a fabled land, inaccessible to human beings.

 

Deeper in the ocean, existed an astounding castle, crystalline walls protecting it from outer disturbances. There, it was another kind of living beings' own world, cohabiting in peace with their neighbors and remaining unknown to humans.

 

"Father!" A male voice echoed throughout the palace.

 

The fatherly figure sighed before turning around. "What is the matter?"

 

"Father!" His youngest and sole son swiftly swam closer and clung to his arms. "Please, let me go to the surface!" He begged with a pout.

 

"Joonmyun..." His father frowned, exhaustedly scrunching the bridge of his nose.

 

"Please! Can you not forgive me now?" Joonmyun whined, showing his puppy eyes. "It has been four years already!"

 

"Joonmyun!" The old man snapped out, exasperated.

 

The young man shrank back, pursing his lips.

 

"What you have done four years ago cannot be considered as a mere mistake." His father solemnly reminded him. "You have broken our overriding law!"

 

"But—"

 

"There is no excuse." He waved him off. "You were supposed to go to the surface at fifteen, not one year earlier! Do you not remember how you nearly died?"

 

"I got saved." The young prince bit on his lower lip.

 

"Luck is not something you can toy with."

 

"But—"

 

"This is what you deserve as a punishment—"

 

"What is this ruckus about?" An elderly woman spoke up as she gracefully made her way in the place.

 

"Mother." The once slightly angered king drastically softened his voice.

 

"Grand mother!" Joonmyun literally dashed to her side, lovingly hugging her arm. "Please, let me go to the surface. I am eighteen already."

 

Sweetly smiling, the wise woman tenderly patted his head before sternly staring at her son.

 

"What happened?" She made sure to emphasize the two words, making them sound scary.

 

"I simply did what had to be done." The mighty King said, trying to not sound too harsh in front of his mother.

 

"Well, it has lasted long enough." She warmly wrapped her arm around her precious grandson's shoulders. "I am certain Joonmyun has learnt his lesson."

 

Joonmyun frantically nodded, showing his approval.

 

"Go now." She whispered as she stirred her chin, pointing outside.

 

"Thank you!" Joonmyun exclaimed, sparkles glowing brightly in his pupils as he quickly swam away. "I will be back soon!"

 

As the elders watched the prince's figure slowly fading away in their eyesight, the King let out a sigh and shook his head. 

 

"You need to stop spoiling him."

 

"And you need to be honest with yourself." She chuckled.

 

**********

 

I am going to see this beautiful person again!

 

Just thinking about it made Joonmyun smile dreamily.

 

Ah, I wonder if she remembers me.

 

He held back a squeal as he curled his fish-like tail up and down, heading towards the surface, towards the sky. Soon, a dazzling dot loomed before him, making him increase his pace.

 

Finally! I will finally meet the one who has saved me four years ago!

 

Nearing the borderline separating the two worlds, the merman held up his breath in anticipation as his head sprang up from under the thin layer of foam. The blazing sun momentarily blinded him as he gasped, inhaling gushes of fresh air for the first time in years. The piercing rays forced him to bring the back of his hand before his poor eyes. Squinting, he slowly turned his head around.

 

Within a few seconds, his sight had adjusted to his new environment. Blinking a few times, Joonmyun gaped at the view before him. The sky looked so eerily azure with white fuzzy clouds randomly drawn over the celestial painting. He lifted his arm up; grasping the astral orb between his slender fingers as he lazily lied down on his back, peacefully floating among the shy waves. He sealed his eyelids, letting his mind drift away for a moment. He remained like this, tenderly being rocked by the cool water and blessed under the warm sunlight, for a while before deciding to approach the land occupied by the human beings.

 

The closer he got, the clearer he saw the majestic castle near the seaside. Suddenly growing cautious, the young merman hid himself behind a half-emerged rock, practically gluing his palms on the stiff, yet bald surface. He curiously peered over the seemingly soulless beach when a strangely familiar melody caught his attention.

 

Soundlessly diving in the chilly water, Joonmyun followed the smooth voice as if it was calling for him, remaining a few inches under the surface. Sensing it was close when a balcony came into view, he coyly peeped out his head out and once again thoughtfully chose a spot behind a boulder. He peeked over from the side, careful to remain unseen by the owner of the voice.

 

The moment his eyes dared to settle themselves down on the person, Joonmyun felt his entire body frozen on the spot. His lips slightly parted away in a round form, in awe before the beauty. Her elbows leant on the edge; she seemed to be blankly staring over the everlasting ocean. She had long auburn hairs, its fragile tips brushing against her slim waist. Her eyes shone like a pair of dark onyx under the longing sun rays, making her paler skin stand out.

 

She must be the princess!

 

He nodded to himself, proud of his clever assumption.

 

The merman had somehow found a rock with merely the tip poking out from under the water. He placed his arms on it, resting his left cheek on the back of his hands. Half-closing his lids, he gladly lost himself under the mellow humming’s softness, soothing his ears with its wordless verses as he rocked his head sideways. A smile tugged at his lips as he felt oddly attracted to the music.

 

That was when obviousness struck upon him.

 

He flustered open his eyes. That melody was from the song I have sung that night on the ship. The only human being who may know it shall be my savior. He looked, his eyes locking on the woman's slender figure as a dreamy grin made its way to his face.

 

I found you!

 

He wanted to scream of joy, but refrained himself from doing such a childish act.

 

"Sis!"

 

The humming abruptly came to a halt as she spun around while keeping a dab of elegancy, facing the newcomer.

 

"Jongin?" She inquired, smiling warmly at her younger brother. "Is something the matter?"

 

"Sis, Father has arranged you another meeting…" The prince had stayed inside, his figure seeming blurry to an outsider like Joonmyun.

 

"Another potential husband?" She scoffed a laugh, though with hints of sorrow in her voice. "He needs to stop. I wish to choose my own future."

 

"Then, maybe, we should tell—?" Jongin tried to brighten her mood up a little.

 

She had raised a hand, putting an end to his brother’s pointless comfort before letting out a sigh.

 

"Who is it this time?" She wondered out loud, unconsciously fiddling with her fingers.

 

"I have heard it is Yixing—" He muttered, half lost in roaming his mind when his sister once again cut him off.

 

"Yixing?" She nearly screamed, slamming her hand on in order to prevent an unladylike act.

 

A pinkish tint had slowly painted on her cheeks as a pleased smile tugged on her thin lips. She walked in and teasingly ruffled her sibling’s hairs.

 

"Why did you not tell me earlier?" She warmly wrapped her arms around his brother. "It is finally someone I wish to marry." The princess whispered to herself.

 

From this point on, Joonmyun was too far away to hear the voices. The moment he had heard the word “marriage”, the saddened merman had silently swam away.

 

Just like a coward.

 

He hadn’t gotten the opportunity to thank his savior and she had to prepare for a prospective marriage. He sighed as he idly let himself being carried away by the sketchy ripples.

 

If only he could do something… For that, he would still need to be human.

 

Human.

 

He widened his eyes when the sinful word that would lead to a likely unfortunate fate crossed his mind.

 

Human...

 

If I become human, will I stand a chance?

 


"Yixing!" A quite tall young man loudly swung open the door leading to the prince's room.

 

Disappointment could be red on his face as he frowned. Pursing his lips, he reluctantly left the soulless place to wander around, hoping to find the one he was looking for.   

 

"Where has he gone to?" He mumbled to himself as he dragged his feet in the hall.

 

"Prince Jongin?" A sweetly soft and familiar voice sounded behind him.

 

His slight annoyance momentarily dissipated into thin air. Curling his lips up into a grin, he spun around, delighted to be welcomed by the sight of his cousin's personal caretaker.

 

"Lu Hannie!" He shouted out — a tad too happy — as he literally ran towards the older man and hugged him lovingly without a second thought.

 

"Prince Jongin!" Lu Han choked out as he struggled in the tight embrace. "Please, watch your behaviour! We are in the palace!" He finally managed to escape from Jongin's strong arms, straightening his clothing.

 

"But, Lu Hannie, I've missed you so much!" The youngster wined, cutely pouting. "Did you not?"

 

As a response, Lu Han simply sighed at the childishness. He would never get used to it and somehow, it has always sent waves of shivers down his spine. Openly showing this usually hidden side of his was never a good sign. Never.

 

"Did you come for Prince Yixing?" Lu Han asked, wearing his most stern face as he blatantly ignored the younger prince's question.

 

"Yep."

 

"He is at his private pavilion." The servant told him with a dull look. "It will be wise to not disturb him. I suppose I do not need to specify the reason, am I right, Prince Jongin?" He made sure to emphasize his warning.

 

An image flashed in Jongin's mind, freshening his memory of the first — and hopefully the last — time he had dared to have lightly taken this "trivial" warning. The outcome had made his nights filled of nightmares for weeks. An angry Yixing was the Satan himself. He shivered at the thought of it.

 

Better not try again.  

 

"Prince Jongin?" Lu Han raised an eyebrow at the sudden quietness, incredulous. "Are you alright?"

 

"Perfectly fine." Jongin muttered, snapped out of his trance. "I will just come back another time then." He shrugged.

 

"Well," Lu Han politely bowed. "If my presence is no longer needed, I shall now go back to my daily duties." He his heels and started to walk away before a luscious voice echoed in his back.

 

"Lu Han, now that I am eighteen, how about we get married?" Jongin shouted, half smirking as he eagerly expected a reaction from the older man.   

 

Hearing this absurd and blunt proposal, Lu Han nearly tripped on air. Nearly.

 

"Ha-have you no shame?" Lu Han stammered despite his efforts of keeping his composure. "Please, do not spout nonsense! What if someone were to misunderstand?" The servant quickly scolded him even though his face was bright red.

 

He silently thanked the Heavens to have had mercy on him, hiding the mess that had become his face from Jongin. Otherwise, he would have died of embarrassment.

 

"Oh, there is no need to be shy."

 

That voice made his heart skip a beat as muscles seemed to have tensed up. He found his feet shamefully frozen on the floor. Lu Han knew this other side of Prince Jongin a tad too well to his taste. Now, he had a reason to not turn around and meet his eyes.

 

"Lu Han, one day, you will become mine. It is only a matter of time." Jongin had his signature smirk plastered on his face, the one that will make any woman fall to his feet.

 

Biting on his bottom lip, Lu Han felt his lungs waking up as he quickened his pace and disappeared behind a corner, finally loosening up a little. 

 

This man is dangerous!

 


It was getting late. The lordly star, commonly known as the Sun by the mortals, had settled itself beneath the ever so blue ocean, painting the world with its warm colors. The playful waves splattering upon the smooth sand had calmed down, letting a well-earned serenity embrace the seaside. Birds had altered their once cheerful symphony to a mellifluous lullaby.

 

There, by the waterside and surrounded by a ticklish, yet fresh scent, a pavilion had been built under the kingdom first prince’s command and strictly kept private. Coated with a thin layer of pale golden paint and supported by strong balusters by the edge, a circular wooden rooftop protected the lonesome one from the rain. A light brown wooden staircase descended to the fluid surface that was saltwater. The place was rather simple with a bamboo armchair and a small table. The prince had specifically stated his refusal to let anyone in unless under his consent. 

 

Well, there was an exception, but we’ll know about it below.       

 

"Yixing." A deep voice snapped him out of his trance.

 

Sighing, Yixing closed the novel he was actually half-heartedly reading and put it on the table before him. He could instantly recognize this voice anywhere. Wearing a slightly annoyed facial expression for being disturbed, he turned around to face the intruder.

 

An intruder he knew all too well.

 

When even the King and the Queen weren't allowed to enter the prince's self-proclaimed private place, this intruder could. He dared to. He wasn't a tad bit afraid to ignore the prince's warning.

 

"What is it, Yifan?" Yixing inquired, sounding rather cold.

 

In fact, if Yixing was Satan, Yifan would be Satan's Father.

 

His footsteps stopped a few meters away from where the prince was comfortably sitting.

 

"I have heard a quite interesting rumor." Yifan smirked, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

"May I know what it is, oh mighty Captain Yifan?" The prince rolled his eyes as he stared up.

 

This time, it wasn't a joke.

 

In four years, Yifan had managed to climb up to the rank of Captain, claiming his father's title. He was now considered the youngest Captain this kingdom had ever witnessed in its history, boosting up his pride even more.

 

It was a regretful promotion. That was at least what Yixing thought.

 

"About you marrying your lovely cousin." Kris — the name Yifan went by among the seas — bluntly told him without restricting himself, secretly awaiting a memorable reaction.

 

It started with disbelief, and then it twisted into a whole new feeling that could be depicted as complete and utter shock. Caught off-guard, Yixing's eyes literally bulged out of the skin as he nearly fell over the wooden balustrade behind him. Nearly. Instead, he jumped on his feet, his back straightened and stiffened from what he had just heard. His hands were weakly shaking from the overwhelming emotion.

 

"No, no, no!" The prince ran a hand through his dark brown locks in frustration. "This is not happening! You hear me? Not happening!"

 

"You are well aware that I do not have a word in this. I am merely delivering a message." Yifan pointed out, feeling a sudden surge of guilt welling up within him at the sight of his friend's dismay.

 

"Yifan." Yixing uttered in a whisper, having grasped a hold of his self-control. "I cannot marry her or anyone. You are the only one who knows the reason." He confessed in an almost inaudible voice.

 

Yifan let out a sigh before his lips curled up in a barely noticeable smile.

 

"I know." He lowly muttered.

 

Tacitly loving someone and only being able to hope is an awful feeling. Yifan comprehended it too well. 

 

"I am going for a walk." Yixing simply stated, casually leaping over the balustrade.

 

Yifan stared at the prince's lonely figure wandering down by the seaside and sorrowfully shook his head.

 

You need to move on, Zhang Yixing. The dream has lasted long enough. 

 


There is a legend about a shape shifter living in the abyssal seas who holds the power to grant your deepest wish.

 

Joonmyun's grandmother wise voice echoed in his head as he dove deeper in the ocean. The water surrounding him had gradually turned into a darker shade of blue as the sunlight grew weaker and soon negligible. The place had quieted down, sending shivers down his spine. Clenching his fists, the merman tossed this meaningless fear in the back of his mind as he bravely kept heading forwards.

 

The credulous merman expected to be welcomed by a gloomy scenery, whereas his wild imagination had been completely deceived in a matter of seconds. Pure white bubbles-shaped ornaments seemed to float around in the soulless depth, eerily sparkling in the darkness. Lost in pure admiration, Joonmyun gripped on an uncannily well-sculpted rock that happened to have unconsciously caught his attention. He glimpsed around, defeat welling up within him as no one was in sight.

 

"Are you lost?" A woman's voice sounded from the unknown, startling Joonmyun as he furtively span around.

 

His heart was unsteadily beating in his chest.

 

"A-are you the shape shifter?" He stammered, anxiously glancing around him in vain.

 

"Oh, the shape shifter?" A mischievous laugh was heard, echoing among the place. "I go by many names..."

 

The unthinkable happened right before eyes, making them widen in confusion. Water twisted, squirmed, and laced as a figure slowly materialized in the once empty spot, becoming more precise with each second that went by. Slim legs were soon drawn after the completion of the upper body. It started with mere shades of blue, and then colors were added to the artwork. Soon, a woman was revealed, possessing long curly ebony hairs that seemed to have kept its tips blurred.

 

"But, mostly known as the Dimensional Witch." She ended her introduction with a faint smile.

 

"I-I—" Joonmyun's voice had somehow ended up struck in his throat.

 

"I know who you are, little merman." She softly whispered, fondling his left cheek. "Though, you seem to be incomplete."

 

Joonmyun looked up straight in her emotionless pupils in utter surprise. What did she mean? Was this statement meant to confirm his cursory reasoning?

 

"Is that why you came here?" She pondered, slightly cocking her head to the right.

 

"Yes!" Joonmyun exclaimed, determined to make himself heard. "Please, I want to become human." He confessed his wish.

 

As a response, the Dimensional Witch chuckled in mild amusement.

 

"Human?" She muttered, closing her eyes as long eyelashes brushed against a doll-like skin.

 

Humans live at least three times less longer than us, his Grandmother had once told him.

 

"What do you seek?" She inquired, half-opening her lids. "Love?"

 

Upon hearing her conjecture, Joonmyun hardly gulped down a knot of saliva. She knows so much. He shyly nodded, sinking teeth on his lower lip in embarrassment.

 

"I will grant your wish..."

 

Joonmyun grinned.

 

"If you present me an equivalent price."

 

His smile dropped as fast as it appeared. An equivalent price? He had to sacrifice something as important as his wish to seek love? Bitter tears started to damp the corner of his crescent eyes. He knew what to give up, but it was so hard. Was losing it worth it?

 

"M-my voice." Joonmyun proposed, quivering at the loss.

 

It had always been his precious treasure for all those years. The youngest and sole Prince was known for having a crystal clear voice that could soothe any living being. It was a gift from the Heavens.

 

"Have you no regrets for your choice?" She seemingly worried, saddened by his offer.

 

"No." He shook his head, swallowing back his unshed tears.

 

"Then, I shall give you this." The Witch smoothly stirred her slender fingers as a small bottle took form almost instantly.

 

She longingly caressed the tiny containing, gently shaking the liquid, before handing it to the merman.

 

"Drink this when you are nearing the land."

 

Joonmyun hesitantly grasped the bottle that would change his fate.

 

"You will feel great pain as if a sword is piercing through you entire being, but you must restrain from screaming." 

 

Her legs started to fade away.

 

"When you wake up, you will have lost your voice."

 

Her figure slowly grew blurrier.

 

"A true love kiss will undo the curse."

 

Her body gradually vanished into foam.

 

"Though, if the one your heart has chosen gets married, you will become foam at dawn by the following day."

 

The warning echoed among the ghostly place as the Witch's presence had completely disappeared.

 

You must trust your heart instead of your head, she lastly whispered in his mind.

 

Then, only silence remained by Joonmyun's side. Bringing the bottle before his face, he let out a chocked cry, his last cry.

 

Farewell.

 


A few palish dots had adorned the celestial canvas, shyly sparkling while awaiting the upcoming darkness to fully show their dazzling beauties to the sleepy world. Weakened sea gulls' shrieks could be heard, echoing from a distant place. A late breeze tenderly caressed the watery surface as waves occasionally ended its short lifespan upon the beach with a soft swashing sound.

 

A sorrow soul was strolling by the seaside, its bare feet leaving sketchy prints on the smooth sand behind him. His expensive shoes had been left somewhere along the way. The prince slowed down his pace as he raised his head, facing the still moonless sky. Letting out a sigh, he eventually stopped his aimless walk. Pursing his lips in a thin line, he turned his head to his right, half-heartedly staring upon the ocean. A snort left his mouth as he shook his head, pitying himself to have turned into such a pathetic man in four years.

 

Did he really believe in something from a fairy tale? Yes, he did.

 

Did he really believe in something as cheesy as having found his soul mate? Yes he did.

 

Did he really waste four years of his life in waiting for a fateful meeting that never occurred? Yes, he did.

 

All of these made him so pathetic. That thought had only crossed his mind today. Still, it wasn't an excuse to accept an arranged marriage with open arms. There were no feelings involved and he despised that. It was his future and he didn't intent in letting anyone plan it for him. As if being aware of his inner wish, a star dashed across the darkened sky, leaving a trail of sparkly dust behind.

 

"God, can't you just give me someone to love?" Yixing shouted, throwing both his arms in the air in a desperate manner.

 

The second those words had left his lips, something rather big bumped in his legs. Caught off-guard, Yixing chocked out a yelp out of surprise as he lost his balance, harshly falling down on the sand. After a moment of deadly silence, Yixing weakly lifted himself up on his knees. his neck and mumbling a series of cursing words, he shook his head in order to somewhat rekindle his mind as he turned around, fuming at whatever had caused his unmanly fall.

 

Instead of angered words, he widened his eyes in complete and pure disbelief with his mouth agape.

 

"S-su-suho?" He stammered, still recovering from the shock the sight of the familiar figure before him .  

 

Was he dreaming? He pinched his cheek, earning a hiss of discomfort.

 

No.

 

Was it a hallucination made by his wild imagination in an attempt to solace his on-the-edge-of-breaking heart? Hesitant at first, he reached out his hand and hesitantly poked the motionless being's shoulder. His fingers touched smooth skin.

 

No.

 

Then, he's real? Upon realizing it could only lead to this assumption, Yixing nearly screamed out of overwhelming emotions that no words could describe. It was so tempting, yet he had to keep his princely image. Even in the early night. He took a deep breath as he grasped a hold of his sanity.

 

No time for that, Yixing.

 

Still kneeled on the sand, he noticed that the unearthly being hadn't minded to move an inch or show a sign of life. The young man was curled up in a foetal position, having instinctively brought his knees close to his face as if wanting to wrap himself in a somewhat feeling of protection. Even though his back was facing Yixing, the latter could still get a glimpse of his facial features under the weak moonlight. That was when Yixing realized the other was .

 

, meaning not wearing anything.

 

Yixing could feel the blood rushing to his face as he squeezed his eyes shut. Oh dear God, please, believe me; I am not a ert! Well, it depends— No! I have done nothing to be considered as erted… yet! Yixing, calm down and take a deep breath. He is a man, just like you. No need to feel embarrassed when we are both males. Praying his cheeks had retrieved its normal tint, Yixing flustered open his eyelids, swallowing down a lump of saliva.

 

Now, what should he do? The prince bit on his lower lip. What if he was dead? Despite his will to keep his cool, he couldn't help, but—

 

Wait a minute.

 

Suho was a merman, right? He had a fish-like tail instead of legs, right?

 

Then, why was the one in front of him blessed with a pair of slim legs?

 

Dumbfounded, Yixing blinked once, twice, thrice until his brain processed the fact over and over again. He was human! How could it be? Was the merman Suho from four years ago the same person as the humanoid who shockingly looked just like him in front of him? It seemed like he would have to wait until he woke up to know the answer to his questions. Now, he had other priorities in hand.

 

Like anybody would surely have, Yixing took off his blazer and threw it on the body, covering its private parts. It was starting to make Yixing uncomfortably awkward. Relieved, Yixing sneaked an arm under his knees and the other one around his thin waist, making sure to roughly wrap the silken fabric around his small frame. Ensuring a firm grip on the soft skin, he pulled the fragile-looking man in a warm embrace as his head idly rested in the crook of Yixing's neck. Puffing out a huff of air as his heart skipped a beat, he slowly lifted the unconscious man up, protectively pulling him closer to his chest.

 

Milky skin. Long eyelashes. Beautifully drawn lips. Silky caramel locks.

 

He reminded him so much of the merman from four years ago. The sole difference was that he had grown up and became a human being. They must be the same person. Something within him kept telling Yixing to believe it.

 

A genuine smile creeping on his face, Yixing walked towards the castle, keeping a slow pace. 

 


S/N: Everything in italics will be Joonmyun's thoughts.

Reminder: Joonmyun is Suho and vice versa. Hope you won't be confused.

 

Joonmyun shifted under the warm sheets, slowly awaking his clouded mind. Squeezing his eyes, he instinctively brought his forearm before his sight, wishing to stay in dreamland a little bit longer.

 

"Hnn..." A weak wince escaped from Joonmyun's lips.

 

Complying with his defeat, his arm lazily fell back beside him. He flustered his tired eyelids open, only to be blessed by blazing sun rays that had sneaked in from behind drawn curtains. With his lips parted away, he kindly welcomed the lukewarm light after growing fond of its intrusion. Was it morning?

 

His fingertips gently fondled the smooth fabric under them. What was that? He then noticed it had been draped over his body, molding in its shape. A hand grasped the sheet and eagerly brought it to his nose. He inhaled the scent. Such a faint, yet soothing one.

 

Putting the concept of this cloth aside, his curious eyes trailed down to two slender limbs that had replaced his fish-like tail. He gleefully smiled when the legs moved according to his will, stirring the lungs up and down as he squealed in mild excitement.

 

I did it! I'm human now!

 

From someone else's perspective, he might look like a child at the moment.

 

Lifting himself up in a sitting position, he brought his fascinating legs closer to his chest and lovingly hugged them, resting his cheek on his knees. A dreamy smile had made its way to his face, spreading his inner happiness across the room.

 

I suppose it was worth it.

 

Finally questioning his whereabouts, Joonmyun let his gaze shift around the quiet room without much success in gathering information on its owner. Though, he had to admit it. Everything in this room — from the unknown paintings hanging on the walls to the nicely folded tissue on the nightstand — seemed to strangely have the word "expensive" engraved on them. He blinked a few times before looking around, seemingly lost.

 

Where am I?    

 

"Oh, you are awake?" A voice suddenly sounded across the room, slightly startling Joonmyun.

 

The latter spun his head towards the voice in a hasty movement, his eyes falling on a luxuriously dressed man standing by the doorframe with his arms neatly crossed. Showing a smile meant to put him in ease, the prince slowly made his way towards the king sized bed.

 

"Do you mind if I sit?" Yixing inquired, randomly pointing at a spot on the bed.

 

A shook of the head was enough of a reply as Yixing flopped down on the edge, rustling the sheets. He slightly turned his upper body to face the nameless one. Yixing roamed his eyes over his flawless face, silently studying his features which he concluded to be heavenly just as he recalled. Unknown to the other, Joonmyun was as well letting his gaze wandering upon the stranger's figure, unconsciously registering its every detail in his mind.

 

He is handsome.   

 

Joonmyun nearly choked on this misplaced thought.

 

What am I thinking? Joonmyun, get a hold of your mind. You are supposed to only think of the princess. This is the reason why you came here.

 

"I almost forget." The older one awkwardly coughed. "I am Yixing. What about you?" He nervously scratched the back of his neck.

 

I am Joonmyun.

 

Despite his wish to tell him his real name, Joonmyun couldn't. He could no longer utter a word nor did he know to write. It was something their kind had classified as useless for them. Sheepish, Joonmyun pursed his lips and lowered his head, hoping Yixing would understand his constraint. The latter furrowed his eyebrows at the other's wordless response.

 

"Is something wrong?"

 

Except the loss of my voice, nothing is wrong.

 

A shook of the head.

 

"You do not wish to tell me your name?"

 

A frenetic shook of the head with a move of the hands to express the contrary.

 

"Then, why do you not talk—" Yixing gasped as he finally realized what had ticked him off.

 

Resting his hands on the sheets, he leant his face closer to the quiet one. Joonmyun bit on his lower lip as he became a tad too self-conscious of the closeness of their faces, hardly gulping down a knot that had gotten stuck in his throat. 

 

Why am I nervous? I will admit that he looks even more handsome up close, but that is not an excuse.

 

"You..." Yixing muttered, growing awfully attracted to someone's lips. "Are you perhaps mute?" He inquired as he went back to his initial place, nervously clutching the piece of cloth.

 

Yes.

 

The remembrance of the equivalent exchange and the pain he had went through afterwards casted a gloom over Joonmyun as he sadly nodded. Yixing seemed to have sensed the sudden surge of sorrow growing within the younger man.  

 

"I am sorry. Did I say something that I should not have?" Yixing deeply apologized for his indiscretion.

 

No. You have done nothing wrong.

 

Joonmyun looked up, locking eyes with him as he shyly smiled, shaking his head to assure him. The effect of this simple act on Yixing remained unknown to Joonmyun. He would never know how the latter's heart had skipped a beat, almost jumping out of his ribcage.

 

They both turned their heads towards the door when a gentle knock was heard.

 

"Prince Yixing." Lu Han spoke up from the other side. "Your Father has summoned you. He has an important matter to speak with you."

 

"I understand. You may leave." Yixing sighed in slight annoyance as he waved him off even though his caretaker wouldn't see.

 

Standing up, Yixing straightened his clothing and made his way towards the closed door. He peeked behind over his shoulder as his hand squeezed the knob.

 

"These are clean clothes. You may wear them." He gestured to the footboard. "I will be back." He whispered before unlocking the door and disappearing behind.

 

Joonmyun hadn't even had a second to himself when the door opened once again as Yixing's figure poked in.

 

"Hum..." Yixing wondered if it would be adequate to say it. "Since you cannot tell me your name, can I call you Suho?" Yixing remained silent, nervously waiting for a response.

 

Suho? As for guardian?

 

Wearing a thankful smile, Joonmyun nodded in approval. He liked the name, making Yixing jump of joy inwardly.

 

"I am glad you like it, Suho." Yixing said, unable to hide the glint of effervescence in his pupils as he left the room.

 

Joonmyun puffed a gush of air in mild amusement.

 

He looks funny.

 

Tilting his head sideways in merriment — the first day as a human was much more delighting than he thought —, he kicked the silken sheets off, slightly shuddering at the sudden loss of warmth. He shifted his unaccustomed limbs so he was sitting on the edge of the heavenly soft mattress, merrily swinging his legs back and forth. Lifting his arms up, he cocked his head to the left at the sight of ample sleeves.

 

Did Yixing make me wear this for the night?

 

Concerned at what he was wearing, Joonmyun finally casted a look at the oversized white shirt. The only layer of cloth covering his body.

 

body?

 

Suddenly growing aware of it, he shyly brought a balled hand up to his rosy lips, feeling his cheeks heat up at the possibility that Yixing might have found him .

 

Why am I blushing?

 

He frantically shook his head, slightly confused.

 

It must be from embarrassment. Nothing much.

 

Satisfied with his elucidation, Joonmyun jumped on his feet without thinking and only realized it in the harsh way when gravity unfriendly reminded him. When his newborn feet touched the floor, his legs felt flaccid, lacking a balanced posture. Almost instantly, he felt heavily fell on the floor with nothing to prevent it. He hissed in pain as he managed to lift himself up on a kneeled position, using his hands.

 

I can’t stand. What to do?

 

He pursed his lips in defeat before something popped up in his mind.

 

Oh, I need clothes.

 

He looked up, searching for the clothes Yixing had prepared for him. He silently reckoned the short distance separating him from them.

 

You can do it, Joonmyun.

 

Taking a deep breath, the young man proceeded to crawl towards his goal, laboriously trailing his inept limbs behind as his smooth skin uncomfortably rubbed against the stiff surface. He bit on his lower lip, forbidding himself from letting out sounds of soreness.

 

Just a little bit more…      

 

**********

 

"Yixing!" A voice boomed between the four walls as the door swung open.

 

A young man dashed in, furtively glancing around the room.

 

"Yixing! Where are—" His voice abruptly dropped when he noticed a stranger kneeled beside the footboard, battling with the last buttons of an expensive-looking shirt.

 

The stranger shot up his head, revealing a shocked expression on his face. They locked eyes for what seemed to be longer than necessary in one of the most tensing silence. The noble man clenched his fists as he stomped towards the one he had self-proclaimed an intruder. Joonmyun shrunk in fear as he dangerously reduced the distance between them. The seemingly taller one grabbed his collar with his two hands and pulled him up, harshly pushing Joonmyun onto the footboard. The latter gaped, not quite sure how he had offended the other.

 

"Who are you?" He hissed between his teeth, skeptically looking straight in his eyes.

 

Who is he? What does he want?

 

Joonmyun pondered as his pupils shuddered in fear. His hands clumsily grasped the other's wrists, attempting to free himself as he weakly struggled in vain.

 

He looks scary.

 

"Answer me!" He tightened his grip on the fabric, causing a chocked gasp to escape from Joonmyun's lips. "Why are you in Yixing's room?"

 

Joonmyun squeezed his eyes shut as if it could appease his discomfort. That was when he heard his savior's voice.

 

"Prince Jongin!" Someone yelled, utterly sickened by his behavior. "What are you doing?" A black haired man shrieked as he rushed in. "Release him! Let go of him!" He gestured hysterically.

 

Wow! He is even taller than my aggressor.

 

"Why should I listen to the Captain's bi—" Jongin scoffed a laugh, slightly loosening the grip.

 

"Don't." The aura around the one with raven locks suddenly switched to something fearful as he stomped towards Jongin. "You." A piercing gaze. "Dare." A strong punch in the stomach. "Tarnish." A strong grab on the arm. "The Captain's." A cold shove to the side. "Title!" A skilled and forceful throw on the floor, resulting with a loud thump.

 

A tense silence followed the quite impressive move, engulfing the three of them. Somewhere between the punch and the loosening of the grip, Joonmyun had idly fallen on the floor, coughing and gasping for air. Though, he was relieved and thankful to the one who had saved him.    

 

Wait! Did he call my aggressor a "Prince"?

 

His shifted his eyes around and rested on the coolly wearing black's figure, growing worried.

 

Will he be in trouble by saving me?

 

As if he had heard his worries, the man with raven locks turned around, facing Joonmyun with a faint smile. Letting out a tiresome sigh, he walked towards the former merman, his facial features softening with each step. When he was a few inches before Joonmyun, he had come back to his lovable former self. Crouching down, he tilted his head to left, a smile tugging on his lips.

 

"Oh, hi." He shyly waved. "Are you alright?" He reached out his hand, softly patting Joonmyun's head.

 

Thank you.

 

A nod.

 

Joonmyun flashed him a gleeful smile, wishing to thank him back someday.

 

"Oh, then..." He averted his eyes, feeling ashamed of his lacking skill in conversing properly. "I-I'm Zitao! Though, you can call me Tao! I’m the First Mate under Captain Kris’ command. What's your—"

 

His eyes widened upon realizing something concerning Joonmyun's identity. A glimpse of excitement glowed brightly in his dark pupils as his smile grew wider.

 

"Are you Suho?" He exclaimed, joyfully savoring the moment it would be revealed.

 

Yes. It is the name Yixing has given me.

 

Another nod.

 

"Oh God!" He squealed, cupping Joonmyun's face. "I've always wanted to meet you! Kris keeps complaining that Prince Yixing keeps talking about you, but I don't think it's annoying. Your existence means that mermaid really do exist and that—"

 

Woah! He is actually kind of adorable. I wonder how old he is.

 

"Hum! Hum!" A cough, followed by a groan of pain, behind Tao interrupted his blabbering. Hissing in slight annoyance, Tao cocked his head to the side, glaring over his shoulder.

 

"What?" Zitao snapped at Jongin who was still mimicking a corpse.

 

"Is that the way you treat a Prince?" Jongin snarled back as he sat up, cursing under his breath from his sore muscles.

 

"You won't die." Tao rolled his eyes.

 

"Damn!" Jongin cried, massaging the back of his neck. "It hurts!"

 

"You deserved it." The First Mate stuck out his tongue.

 

"What have I done?" The noble man whined. "I was in the middle of a questioning session!"

 

"It looked more like a murder from my point of view."

 

"But, this man may be Yixing's lover!" Jongin pointed an accusing finger at Suho, startling the mute man.

 

L-l-lover?

 

Joonmyun felt his cheeks turning bright red at the thought of it before shaking his head.

 

Don’t be silly.

 

"Huh? Where did you get that?" Tao raised an eyebrow in confusion.

 

"What else could he be? He was in my cousin's room and was putting on clothes! Yixing would have never let anyone spend the night in his room unless... unless he is his lover!" He gaped, in gushes of air.

 

So, this Jongin is Yixing's cousin?

 

"So, what?" This time, Tao had completely turned his body around in order to face Yixing's cousin. "It's the Prince's private life. You've no right to—"

 

"I have!" Jongin shouted, mischievously smiling as he stared into Suho's eyes. "He is my sister's fiancé. I suppose it is enough of a reason to have the right to know." 

 

Upon hearing the news about the marriage, Tao had frozen on the spot, stunned and slowly processing the information in his brain. He wasn't the only one shocked. Joonmyun was as well.

 

Why does my heart hurt?

 

Joonmyun clutched the silken fabric of the clothing, squeezing it.

 

It must be because Yixing is surely marrying the princess I wish to encounter. She will be the one I love.

 

"Tao? Prince Jongin?" A deep voice broke the tension, coming from the door.

 

The moment those words had been uttered, Tao instantly came back to his senses as he jumped up on his feet. A smile growing wider on his face, he spun around and ran towards the owner of the husky voice while the latter had just barely stepped in the room.

 

"Kris!" Tao cried in an adorable way.

 

Kris? The one Tao had mentioned?

 

"Tao, I have been looking for you! Did I not tell you to stay near me?" The mature-looking man half-seriously scolded Tao.

 

Inwardly, he knew that he had flinched at the sight of an adorable-looking Tao.

 

"But—" Tao pouted as he pointed at Jongin. "I had to save Suho from a murderer."

 

"Yah!" Jongin snapped back, groaning in pain as he moved his back too hastily. 

 

"Suho?" Kris muttered, his eyes lingering upon the said man and roughly getting an idea of the circumstances. "But, why are you on the floor, Prince Jongin?" Kris asked, a frown drawing out.

 

"Ha!" Jongin let out a sarcastic laugh. "How about you ask your filt—"

 

A crackle of knuckles from Tao.

 

"Oh mighty First Mate Zitao might know the reason." Jongin smirked as he hardly stood up, pulling a face.

 

"Tao? Do not tell..." Kris widened his eyes in stupor.

 

"Kris, I flipped him on the floor because..." Tao bit on his lower lip, lowering his head in embarrassment.

 

"Because?" The Captain urged him to continue.

 

"Because he dared to insult you!" Tao had balled his fists, turning his knuckles whitish in frustration.

 

"It is not a reason to injure Prince Jongin." Kris sighed, ruffling Tao's raven locks in order to appease his anger.

 

The younger male relaxed his fists, pursing his lips as he looked up. Kris hardly gulped at the sight of a lamb-like Tao. It was his sole weakness and he intended to hide it.

 

"Good Heavens! I am gone for a moment and so much happen?" Yixing complained as he walked in the picture, throwing his arms in the air. "Is my room a gathering area—"

 

"But, Prince Jongin said that I was your !" Tao blurted out, startling everyone in the room — well except Joonmyun who didn't get it — and stiffening them.

 

"I'm not a girl and only a beautiful woman would suit to Kris. Also..." Tao inhaled a deep breath. "Also… Also, I'm in a relationship with my panda plushie!" He confessed, heartily smiling.

 

The first one to react happened to be Jongin. The latter busted out into laughter — an unstoppable one — as he rolled on the floor, clutching onto his stomach.

 

"Did he really say that? So, Yifan's number one rival is a panda plushie? This is the best I have ever heard!"

 

The second one to react happened to be Yixing. The latter shamefully tripped over nothingness, heavily falling on the floor. He blamed it to the shock.

 

The third one to react was Kris. However, he didn't show it. He remained stoic while his heart sank inside. He knew that he shouldn't set his hopes too high, but it still awfully hurt to hear it from Tao's mouth. Did it mean he could only be second in his heart?

 

"What's so funny? What 'rival'?" Tao blinked in slight confusion.

 

"Tao, let's just... go back."

 

Without even letting a time for the younger to react, he had already grabbed his arm and dragged him out of the room.

 

It only left Jongin as a potential intrusion for Yixing's precious alone time with Joonmyun. He sent his younger cousin a glare out of the corner of his eyes.

 

"What?"

 

"Get. Out." Yixing hissed, making sure to emphasize each word.

 

"Fine." Jongin shrugged as he made his way towards the door.

 

Before stepping out, he cocked his head, glancing over his shoulder.

 

"Yixing, you are getting married to my sister. Please, do not do anything foolish. Remember that."

 

Then, he left, his words ghostly hovering in the room.

 

Getting married...? Marriage! If I don't meet the princess, I'll become foam!

 

**********

 

"Suho, are you alright?" Prince Yixing had crouched down and gently squeezed his shoulders, compelling him to look up.

 

Alas, Suho averted his gaze. There were two reasons. One concerned his wish to not trouble the other more than he had already had while the second concerned a foreign feeling welling within him caused by the closeness.

 

Noticing his unwillingness to show a response, Yixing sighed before removing his hands from Suho's fragile shoulders. He stared up at the ceiling, feeling awkward.

 

"Uh... You look good in those clothes." Yixing confessed, tried his best to not sound too self-conscious of the compliment.

 

Actually, Yixing wanted to tell Joonmyun that he was breathtakingly beautiful. That, he wouldn’t dare to utter out loud.   

 

Y-you think?

 

Joonmyun felt relieved as he shyly smiled.

 

"Ahem!" Yixing scratched the back of his neck. "Are you hungry?" He asked, ashamed to have nearly forgotten about breakfast.

 

Finally deciding his heart could endure it, Joonmyun locked eyes with the prince, nodding a tad too cheerfully. 

 

I am curious on what humans might be eating.

 

"Oh, then, I will lead you to the dining hall..." Yixing proposed before remembering something else. "Or perhaps, you will prefer to eat here?" The prince added, pointing at a dining table at the other side of the spacious room.

 

We can eat here since I do not seem to know how to walk properly yet. 

 

"Then... I will call for Lu—" Yixing had stood up, tidying his clothing, when he found it odd that Suho hadn't moved.

 

Instead, the latter had lowered his head, biting on his lower lip while thinking on what he should do. He didn't want to bother Yixing for such a trivial matter.

 

Shall I try standing up again?

 

He inwardly tossed the idea aside, fearing he would fail once again.

 

He will find my ineptitude in standing rather odd since it is common knowledge among humans.  

 

"Suho... Can you stand?" Yixing inquired, sincerely caring for his well being.

 

I have to be honest I suppose.

 

Slowly, Joonmyun resolved in shaking his head, giving off the feeling as if he didn't wanted to admit it. Yixing chuckled at his shyness.

 

Is there something funny—

 

He let out a gasp out of surprise as a pair of strong arms lifted him up bridal style without any sort of warning. Instinctively, Joonmyun clutched onto Yixing's shirt, his slender fingers digging into the fabric. He had nuzzled his head under the prince's chin, seeking safeness in his warmth. He pursed his lips as he felt nothingness under his feet. He was somewhat afraid to fall, but he knew that Yixing would be here to catch him.

 

Why do I feel so safe with him?

 

The latter suddenly found breathing as the hardest task when he grew aware of Joonmyun's innocent acts. Puffing a gush of itching air, he proceeded to walk towards the table.

 

Something tickled his skin, causing Joonmyun to look up only to be graced by the sight of Yixing's face from a new angle.

 

He looks handsome.

 

Letting out a muffled chuckle, Joonmyun poked Yixing's cheek bone in mild wonderment.

 

"What are you doing? It tickles." Yixing let out a laugh. "Well, I will let you sit down on the armchair now—"

 

Regretting afterwards, Yixing had slightly lowered his head down as his gaze trailed down to Joonmyun's flawless face. Time seemed to have slowed down for a moment while they remained motionless. When they both realized they had been staring at the other's lips, they hastily averted eyes.

 

What is wrong with me?

 

"H-here." Yixing carefully put him down on the armchair. "Sit for now. I will call for Lu Han."

 

That said, he stormed out, desperately hiding the blush threatening to invade his cheeks. Seemingly blind to such ambiguous details, Joonmyun was too busy caressing the coverings with exalted fingers and awing over the sewed patterns.  

 

It is so soft!

 

**********

 

"How is it?" Yixing asked, watching Suho savoring a dish with a dreamy smile plastered on his face.

 

It is so heavenly delicious!

 

Suho beamed as the starchy treat ever so naturally melted on his tongue after crunching in it. Still wearing his dazzling smile, he pointed at the beige food in the plate, using his questioning look to seek its name.

 

"Potato." Yixing told him.

 

Potato? Potato. Potato!

 

He giggled to himself, feeling lucky to have undiscovered this tasteful potato. Sensing Yixing's somewhat intense gaze upon him, he jabbed his fork on one of the piece and lifted it up. He was thankful to the Prince who had teached him earlier how to hold this utensil. He guided the mouthful of potato towards Yixing's mouth, leaning over the table in the process.

 

Yixing curiously blinked before slowly parting his lips away. He leant closer to the delectable piece of crop, accepting the treat. It was indeed delicious, Yixing admitted while relishing the cooked potato. 

 

I fed him!

 

Joonmyun's smile grew wider as his eyes sparkled in bemusement. He innocently tilted his head sideways as he softly hummed a melody, the one that reminisced him of that fateful night four years ago. Turning a blind eye to his surroundings — blame it on the potato —, he hadn't noticed the sudden change in Yixing. Upon hearing the wordless melody, his facial expression had tensed up, recognizing the familiar sound in astoundment.

 

He couldn't believe his ears. Yes, it was true that he held doubts on the merman he had saved and this human as being the same person. This Suho perfectly knowing this melody couldn't merely be a coincidence, right?

 

Yixing hadn't had time to ponder on this matter any longer as Suho stopped humming and concentrated on eating instead once again. He was staring quite intensely on a leaf of lettuce, poking it with the tips of the silver fork. His hands nervously balled into fists, Yixing cleared his throat, readying himself to confront the truth.

 

As he had anticipated, Suho temporarily lost interest in the dish, fluttering his eyes up to meet his gaze.

 

Is something the matter?

 

"Hum, I... You... What you just hummed... It..." Yixing struggled with his words, clumsily choosing the right ones. "That—"

 

A knock on the door cut him off, picking a mental quarrel with his patience. 

 

"Prince Yixing." A female voice softly called from the other side. "May I enter?"

 

"Who is it?" Yixing demanded, cocking up an eyebrow. 

 

"It is your cousin, Kim Hyoyeon." She replied in the same soothing tone. "May I?"

 

Who is she?

 

"Do as you please." The prince sighed, putting an elbow on the table and resting his chin on his palm.

 

Why is he bothered?

 

The door opened in a faint creaking sound as a feminine figure loomed up. She faintly smiled, stepping in, and politely bowed her head.

 

It is her!

 

Mouth agape and eyes widened, Joonmyun dropped his fork. A sharp sound echoed in the room from its hit with the china plate, unnecessarily drawing attention. The elegantly dressed woman followed the source of the sound, settling her eyes on Yixing's unknown friend.

 

She is looking at me! 

 

"And who may he be...?" She inquired the prince, still keeping a curious look on him.

 

"He is Suho." Yixing dully told her. "Suho, she is my cousin, Lady Hyoyeon."

 

Hyoyeon... Does he not like her?

 

"Ah, I did not know you have made a friend." Hyoyeon lightly laughed, the sweet voice engraving in Joonmyun's mind.

 

She is as beautiful as I have seen her last time. Maybe even more?

 

By now, Joonmyun had loosened up, his lips slowly curling up as he kept on silently being smitten by her beauty. As keen as he was, Yixing had noticed the way Suho was looking at his cousin, not appreciating one bit of each second of it. In the other hand, Hyoyeon hadn't paid much attention — completely blind to it actually — on the former merman's tacit admiration as she was too busy studying the latter's features. She wasn't too fond of him. His face was unearthly flawless, his skin fairer than most women, and his caramel locks silken. She would never admit that she had grown jealous of someone's appearance — nonetheless of the opposite gender — at their first meeting.

 

What is wrong? Why is no one talking?

 

Joonmyun wondered, still wearing a dreamy smile. This thought had been wiped off of his mind as quickly as it had crossed it, aware of the princess’ presence.

 

I am glad to have met you again. Luck may be in my favor.

 

Though, something seemed off. Even though Joonmyun was facing the desire of his heart, none of the commonly known love struck symptoms manifested within him, which he found odd.

 

"You will feel your heart beat faster." His grandmother had once told him. 

 

Then, why isn’t my heart beating faster than usual?

 

Feeling sick of the oppressing silence, the prince resolved in breaking it.

 

"Why are you here for, Princess Hyoyeon?" Yixing asked, sounding quite bored.

 

Tossing the surge of jealousy aside considered as trivial, she tidied her clothing, partly aware of the hollow curiosity of the other party.

 

"I am here to discuss with you on a quite important matter." She sighed before approaching Yixing. "You do know what I am implying, am I right?" She had stopped merely an inch before him, bringing her hand up to fondle his cheek. "Our marriage." She softly whispered.

 

Do not touch him!

 

Overwhelmed by a dreadful emotion, Joonmyun hadn't thought much when he suddenly shot up, slamming his hands on the table. The porcelain tableware shivered under the sudden disturbance.

 

I do not like it!

 

While doing so, he had unconsciously clenched his teeth. However, he had forgotten something, being blinded by the conflicting emotions. The heavy fall on the floor that occurred almost instantly afterwards reminded him. He was still unstable on his limbs.

 

I am such an idiot!

 

Yixing flickered his eyes on Suho once again in a matter of mere seconds. His orbs bulged out of the skin in terror at the sight of Suho helplessly falling down. The loud thud that followed shattered any sort of self-control he had built in front of Hyoyeon. Without thinking, he had rushed to Suho's side in a split second.

 

"Suho!" Yixing shouted, the worry in his voice booming in the room. 

 

The prince had hastily fallen on his knees as he roamed his hands on Suho's shoulders.

 

"Are you hurt somewhere? Do I have to—" Yixing worried.

 

The latter had placed a hand on Yixing's mouth, preventing him from blabbering. He shook his head as he managed to lift himself up on his knees, letting out a faint groan out of pain.

 

Do not worry about me.

 

"I am relieved then." Yixing smiled, pulling him in an embrace.

 

Joonmyun gasped at the sudden form of affection. Unused to this kind of closeness, he didn't know how to react, still stunned. He remained motionless like an awkward idiot before slowly, hesitantly moving his arms up as his hands grasped on his back. Yixing nuzzled his nose in Joonmyun's neck, blissfully grinning when the latter fully accepted the embrace.  

 

 It is warm.

 

"Prince Yixing!" Hyoyeon interrupted his short moment of happiness.

 

Although she didn't show it openly — in fact, it would be unladylike —, the princess pondered if she should either be boiling of jealousy or be stunned. Never had she witnessed Yixing being so wholeheartedly caring towards someone, let alone someone from the opposite gender.  

 

"Yes?" Yixing asked, cocking up an eyebrow.

 

"Never mind." Hyoyeon forced on an apologetic smile. "I shall take my leave now. Take care of yourself..." She shifted her gaze to Suho. "And of your friend."

 

She politely bowed before stepping out of the room, her hands subtly balled into fists. She hated to admit it, but the way Yixing was looking at Suho was enough to make her boil in rage. It was so sincerely longing.

 

Suho, you better not steal Yixing away from me.

 

**********

 

For the rest of the day, Yixing had been patiently imparting Suho the art of walking. How he remained calm and gentle despite the several failed attempts would remain a mystery... Or perhaps not entirely? If we reviewed the whole teaching lesson from Yixing's point of view, it was actually enjoyable for the latter.

 

In the beginning, Joonmyun would lean on Yixing as the latter stayed behind him, glued to his student as he manually guided his movements. The prince had rested his head on his shoulder, having a fresh scent delighting his nostrils. Suho's scent.

 

Every time Suho would stagger, Yixing would affectionally wrap an arm around his waist in order to prevent a fall. When it happened, Suho would unconditionally flash him a sweet smile, thanking him for his concern as he struggled to stand up on his own. Clueless as always, Joonmyun wouldn't notice the blush painting on the prince's cheeks and how his heart thumped loudly in his chest.

 

Somewhere around the sun set, Joonmyun had succeeded in mastering the art of walking. The former merman merrily frolicked around the room, occasionally jumping in pure bliss. Then, he joyfully paced towards Yixing and hugged him, nuzzling his face in the loveable warmth when the prince wrapped his arms around him.

 

Thank you, Yixing.

 

It was always in these moments of closeness with Yixing that his heart felt the most at ease. He closed his eyes, wishing to let the foreign feeling stay a little bit longer.

 

I am somehow afraid to know this feeling's name. I am afraid that it will tear me apart.

 

**********

 

In the next following weeks, Yixing had ended up teaching Suho the art of writing since it would convenient for both parties to have a reply with expressions more complex than a simple 'yes' or 'no'. That explained why the Prince Yixing had requested an alphabet table as well as heaps of sheets and a dip pen, leaving his caretaker slightly confused.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yixing placed his hand on his hips, wearing an air of determination. He had to start from the basics with Suho. By 'basics', he meant 'how to hold a pen properly' because it seemed pretty obvious that it was the first time the former merman had seen a so-called nip pen.

 

The way Joonmyun oh so faithfully cherished it in his palms as if Yixing had handed him an expensive jewelry amused the latter, withholding from letting out a snicker. That day, Joonmyun spent nearly half of the lesson in staring at the pen with a dreamy smile and dazed eyes. Each time Yixing caught him not paying attention, he couldn't help, but sigh in bewilderment before teasingly pinching his cheek. Joonmyun would snap out of his trance, fondling the barely bruised skin as his lips formed an adorable pout.  

 

Do not do that. It is embarrassing.

 

Due to an unsteady grip on the pencil, his first attempts of handwriting came out as sketchy. Yixing chuckled as he reviewed them, bringing a hand to his mouth in order to suppress his amusement as much as possible. Noticing it out of the corner of his eyes, Joonmyun meekly smacked his forearm as he furrowed his thin-drawn eyebrows and let out a hiss.

 

"You are cute." Yixing sniggered, scrunching Suho's nose. "Now, how about you improve that marvellous handwriting of yours?"

 

Joonmyun swiftly scribbled few simple words before shoving the message in front of the mocking prince's face.

 

I will. Watch.

 

That done, Joonmyun loudly slammed the sheet on the table, puffing his chest at the self-claimed challenge.

 

I swear I will write better than you in no times!

 

Eager to know the outcome, Yixing flopped on an armchair before him as he rested his forearms on the table separating them. He straightened one up and casually placed his chin on the palm.

 

"Sure." The prince smirked. "I shall reward you the day you deserve my respect."

 

A reward?

 

Upon hearing this word, Joonmyun had intensely stared at him in disbelief. It quickly switched to exult as a dazzling glint had nested in the depths of his pupils. Swiftly grabbing a pencil, he scribbled something with his most defined handwriting he had mastered today, proudly showing the piece of paper to Yixing.

 

What?

 

Yixing curiously motioned Suho to lean closer if he wishes to know. Suho did as requested only to regret it afterwards. He didn't have time to counter when Yixing suddenly grasped his chin and pulling their faces even closer. His lips brushed against Suho's earlobe as his breath lingered upon his skin.    

 

"How about a kiss?" Yixing whispered in his ear, mercilessly turning Suho's cheeks bright red.

 

The latter backed away almost instantly, gasping as his back harshly collided on the chair's surface. He lowered his head, avoiding his gaze while Yixing curved up his lips in triumph.  

 

Idiot. Stop teasing me.

 

The innocent-minded man was uncomfortably shifting in the chair, fiddling with his slim fingers when he felt a pair of soft lips pressing on his left cheek. Upon realizing, Yixing had kissed him before going back to his former position on the armchair, wearing a fond smile. 

 

H-he kissed me!

 

Even though it was merely considered a peck — moreover on the cheek —, Joonmyun bit on his lower lip as he lowered his head in shyness, a crimson blush spreading across his face.

 

I am not supposed to fall for you.

 

**********

 

Weeks and then months had slipped by. Without realizing, it had come to the day of Yixing's inevitable marriage.

 

"I do not feel like doing anything today." Yixing gloomy grumbled after he got out of bed.

 

"Prince Yixing!" Lu Han exasperatedly shouted as he handed him formal clothes. "Today is a once in a lifetime event. How can you negligee it?" He sighed. "You must smile."

 

"How can I?" The prince rolled his eyes in annoyance as he stepped behind a pane to change. "Even if I do, it will not be sincere."

 

"Why?" Lu Han cocked up an eyebrow. "Lady Hyoyeon is beautiful and talented—"

 

"That is not the issue." Yixing snapped out as he stepped out, tidying his clothing.

 

A silence fell down in the room, the shy chirping of early birds being the sole soundtrack. His personal caretaker let out a long sigh before longingly gazing outside the window.

 

"Prince Yixing, I have been by your side for years now." He uttered in a low voice. "Do you think I have not noticed the way you look at Suho?" He sweetly smiled.

 

"W-what?" Yixing scratched the back of his neck as he turned his head away.

 

"I may be slow sometimes, but certainly not blind, my Prince." Lu Han teasingly hummed.

 

"So, what?" Yixing mumbled as he had gathered up enough courage to face the older man. "Are you about to scold me?"

 

"I am in no position to be against it." Lu Han assured him as he spun on his heels, heading towards the door. "Prince Yixing." He softly whispered, a hand resting on the doorframe. "Can I tell you something as a... friend?"

 

"Go ahead." Yixing nodded, neatly folding his arms over his chest.

 

"Even though the Heavens might have bind you to their proclaimed fate, and love the people with whom they have brought you together, please, do so with your heart. No one is prisoners of fate." Lu Han wisely told him, faintly smiling as he closed the door.

 

Yixing stood there in silence for a moment, Lu Han's words hovering in his mind before his lips curved up in a genuine smile.

 

"I suppose I need to thank him someday." The prince muttered to himself.

 

**********

 

The overly spacious place before the dock had been rearranged to embrace a momentous and festive event. A soaring ship was anchored; a flag adorning the royal crest prideful undulated in the wind. It had been decided that the married couple would take on a sejour upon the ocean for their sweet moon night. The security would be provided by a team strictly selected by Wu Yifan, meaning the latter would be present — as well as the First Mate.

 

On the land, tables had been elegantly dressed with stylishly ornamented tablecloth as an exquisite buffet was offered to all, its tantalizing aroma wafting in the air. Light hearted words were exchanged among the people as sharp sounds from toasting glasses were heard here and there.

 

Not only were noblemen invited, the common people's presence was much welcomed as well. However, the two distinct groups seemed to have drawn an invisible line between them, avoiding physical contact. Prince Yixing sighed, disappointed in their behaviour.

 

Prince Yixing, the one considered lucky to be Lady Hyoyeon's groom, easily flashed fake smile to the numerous high-ranking guests as they warmly shook hands and exchanged a few blessing words. Though, Yixing didn't care much about what they had been blabbing as his mind was madly concocting a plan. As you had surely guessed, the prince didn't want to get married at all. Well, he didn't want to get married with Lady Hyoyeon. Not that she was repellent or annoying. He simply had someone else in his heart.

 

Finally loosening up after encountering a quite talkative noble, he sighed as his gaze shifted upon the guests, searching for a potential sacrifice. He had long pondered if it was the wisest choice. He nodded to himself in agreement. What else could he do otherwise? His eyes widened as they landed on a familiar young man consuming the sweets' buffet.

 

He didn't forget to make a self-note to thank him afterwards if he did accept to follow his request. Taking a deep breath, he straightened his blazer and casually paced towards the young man with raven locks. He gently patted his shoulder as the latter spun around with a spoonful of cakes stuffed in his mouth.      

 

"P-plinche Yiching?" The First Mate managed to utter with a grin plastered on his face. "Arhe chou haffy—"

 

"Stop." Yixing held up a hand before him. "I do not understand what you are saying, Tao."

 

"Oh." He swallowed down his sweet treat and showed an apologetic smile. "Sorry." He slightly bowed his head.

 

"Never mind." The prince shrugged it off. "What were you trying to say?"

 

"Oh, I was wondering if you're happy!" Tao remembered with a wide smile.

 

"Who knows?" Yixing mysteriously responded, seemingly looking elsewhere.

 

"I don't get it." Tao innocently tilted his head to the left. "I mean... You're getting married! Shouldn't you be happy?"

 

"I suppose I should be..." Yixing bitterly smiled. "Though, it was not my decision."

 

"Oh." The one with ebony hairs shyly nodded in comprehension. "I can somehow relate to what you must be feeling..." He muttered under his breath.

 

"Did you say something?" Yixing raised an eyebrow in slight confusion.

 

"Nothing much!" Tao chirped as he jabbed his fork in a different piece of cake than the one he had just eaten. "Though... Can I ask something that may be indiscreet?" Zitao cautiously inquired, caring about his dessert more than the question actually.

 

"Go ahead and I shall see."

 

"Will you be happier with Suho?" Tao blurted out without thinking twice as he gleefully devoured the piece of cake.

 

"What do you think?" Yixing chuckled, slightly caught off-guard.

 

He didn’t think someone as naïve as Tao would have noticed.

 

"I guess yes." Tao looked up from the plate, staring at Yixing with the most sincere pair of eyes.

 

"Then, will you help me?" The prince asked, hiding a mischievous smile.

 

"Depends." He pursed his lips in a thin line. "What do I gain?"

 

"Tao..." Yixing purred as the other cluelessly blinked a few times. "You do know that huge panda plushie that only sells in limited quantities, am I right?"

 

"Hum..." Tao roamed his brain in search of a certain memory. "Oh! I know!" A glint glowed in his pupils as he recalled it.

 

"Do you want it—"

 

"Kris bought it for me!"

 

Yixing scoffed in disbelief. Since when was Yifan buying anything to anyone? Oh well, it was Huang Zitao we were talking about after all. He clenched his hands as a blaze of determination shone in his eyes. He wasn't about to give up.

 

"A panda pillow."

 

"Kris won one for me!"

 

"A panda bandana!"

 

"Kris gave one to me!"

 

"Panda socks!"

 

"Kris made a pair for me!"

 

"A panda—What?" Yixing nearly shouted in utter disbelief, his eyes bulging out of the skin. "Oh my, just forget it!" The prince exasperatedly raged before ransacking his pockets.

 

"What?"

 

"Here!" Yixing shoved a V.V.I.P card in his hand.

 

Tao gaped in awe as he red the contents on the precious card. It was a free-for-all V.V.I.P card for the most renowned pastry chief in the kingdom, Do Kyungsoo. He never dared to approach his most beloved idol's pastry house since he knew that everything was too expensive. He looked up at Yixing with doe’s eyes, getting damp from the emotion.

 

"I-is it for real?" Tao asked, clutching the card on his chest.

 

"Only if you do me a favor." Yixing stated matter-of-factly.

 

"I will!" Tao beamed. "I'll do anything! Just let me get whatever I want there for free!"

 

"That's more what I wanted." Yixing mumbled to himself.

 


The lively chattering drifting away from the ceremonial reception had been reduced to hollow background sounds, muffled by the gentle waves crashing upon the shoreline. Here, nature had a strong grasp on the breath-taking landscape, occasionally welcoming a few visitors. Most of them were either conflicted with their feelings, seeking peace of mind or simply enthralled by its beauty. The two first possibilities resumed what was troubling the lone soul's mind that had settled down on the comfortably soft layer of milky powdery.

 

His lips slightly parted away, he casted an unwavering, yet glossy gaze upon the everlasting waters. A late breeze skittishly ruffled his caramel hairs, the locks reflecting gleaming hues of brown under the sun light. He might seem calm from an outsider's view, however his heart was far from it. He thought humming would make him forget its reckless longing, but it didn't last long enough.  

 

Yes, he was the sole person who hadn't attended Prince Yixing and Princess Hyoyeon's wedding reception, Kim Joonmyun. He feared his heart to not be strong enough to bear the sight of Yixing becoming someone else's partner.

  

Grasping a tiny rock, Joonmyun threw it towards the ocean, releasing his hidden frustration. A plopping sound echoed in the rather quiet place. Having wrapped his arms around his legs, Joonmyun lifted up his head, facing a starless sky with hints of fall's colors painting an unearthly canvas.

 

I wonder if Yixing will be happy.

 

"What is bothering you, young mortal?" A familiar voice sounded near him, startling him as he nearly fell backwards.

 

Instead, he anxiously peered around him and blinked a few times when he saw no one.

 

Did I imagine it?

 

As he had managed to appease his heart, he widened his eyes in shock when the saltwater before him started to build up. Soon enough, they twirled, condensed together, and formed a woman's figure before colors faintly appeared on the lovely drawn body. Silken-like hairs floated in the air, framing a flawless face.   

 

Th-the Dimensional Witch!

 

"You have a quite good memory." She praised him, letting out a chuckle.        

 

You can hear me?

 

Joonmyun shot up on his feet, his eyes widened.

 

"Yes." She nodded. "You may sit down."

 

Oh. Sure.

 

Joonmyun slightly bowed before settling down on the smooth sand.

 

"There is a marriage." She stated, blankly staring beyond the land.

 

So?

 

Joonmyun rolled his eyes, trying to hide his despair.

 

"Aren't you going to stop it?" She inquired, slightly worried.

 

He sadly shook his head.

 

If it can make them happy, I have no right to interfere.

 

"You seem to have matured since last time." She remarked, reaching out a slender hand to caress his cheek. "Was it worth it?"

 

Yes. I do not regret.

 

"You do remember what awaits you at dawn, youngster?" She bitterly smiled.

 

Sealing his eyelids, Joonmyun took a deep breath and nodded.

 

"It is regretful to end such a precious life." She whispered, her fingers softly grazing on his milky skin. 

 

This is the fate I have chosen.

 

"Oh?" She sweetly smiled as if she had seen a delighting revelation. "It may not be the end yet, Kim Joonmyun."

 

What?

 

"Suho!"

 

As if everything had been created from his wild imagination, the Dimensional Witch vanished into thin air, leaving no remains of her eerily presence. Joonmyun slowly brought his hand to his cheek, the place she had ever so softly fondled. It felt so real to be a mere dream.

 

"Suho!" The same manly voice called him again.

 

Joonmyun cocked his head towards its familiar owner as he greeted him with a wide smile across his face. Before he could stand up, the older man had fallen to his knees beside him and embraced him in his comforting warmth.

 

Yixing.

 

"Suho." Yixing nuzzled his nose in the crook of his neck. "Suho." He lovingly whispered.

 

Yixing.

 

In the brink of shedding tears, Joonmyun wrapped his arms around him, his fingers digging on the fabric of his shirt. This is the one Joonmyun had wished to forget before disappearing from the world. Having him so close, yet about to leave so soon shattered his heart into countless pieces that might not be put back together anymore.   

 

A broken sob.

 

Huh? Why am I crying? Is… Is that what humans call "sadness"

 

Coming to his senses, Yixing slowly pulled away from the hug and held him by the shoulders.

 

 "W-why are you crying?" Yixing worried as he cupped his saddened face.

 

Because I am so happy to see you one last time.

 

Because I do not wish to leave you.

 

Because it hurts to know that I cannot be with you.

 

Because I do not deserve your kindness.

 

So many thoughts and fragments of memories had rushed in his mind, making him a hiccupping mess as he tried to quiet down his cries. The sight of the overflowing tears had momentarily casted an opaque mist in Yixing's brain as he followed his instincts instead of his reason.

 

That was the excuse he came up with as he pushed Suho backwards, pinning him on the smooth sand in a muffled sound. Taken aback, Joonmyun had shot up his eyelids open, the orbs shuddering from the after-shock. They remained silent for a moment, engrossed in the other's sincere gaze.

 

Yixing slowly loosened his grip on the other's wrists and traveled his hands towards his cheeks. With his thumb, he fondly wiped away tears that threatened to slide down from the corner of his eyes. Joonmyun sniffed, swallowing back his outburst of sobs.

 

"See?" Yixing mused as his thumbs the trails of bitter tears. "You have stopped crying."

 

Only because it is you.

 

Bitting on his lower lip, Joonmyun falteringly pointed over the cliff towering the beach, implying the place the prince’s wedding reception had to take place. 

 

"Oh." Yixing mused as his eyes dully followed his finger. "It does not matter anymore…"He trailed off, reverting to his loving gaze upon the man beneath him.

 

Why?

 

"Because I love you." He wholeheartedly confessed in a whisper. "Can I court you?"

 

I love you.

 

The three simple, yet sincere words sank in his brain, endlessly echoing and spreading its sweetness throughout all his nerves as they nested in the deepest part of his soul. The reason why he didn’t show any sort of response wasn’t because he loathed the cheesy sentence. In fact, he was infatuated. He had been for a while. It all happened of this man’s existence. Zhang Yixing had stolen his heart.

 

I am not dreaming…?    

 

Feeling rather embarrassed to be the one receiving the confession, he remained speechless for a moment before slowly stirring his head sideways. 

 

"Oh." Yixing shrunk back, dejected by what he assumed to be a rejection. "I am sorry—"

 

He didn’t manage to finish his apology as Suho had placed a finger over his mouth.

 

"You do not need to." Joonmyun mouthed, emphasizing each word so Yixing would fathom his message.

 

You do not have any rival anywhere. 

 

"Then, does that mean…?" Yixing asked, a delighted smile gracing his facial features.

 

Joonmyun skittishly nodded as he mustered up his courage to lean his face closer to Yixing’s, his small nose softly grazing on the other's. Yixing didn’t hesitate a second as he grasped the moment of intimacy, pressing his lips onto Suho's. The latter gasped at the sudden contact, causing his eyes to widen. Though, he soon relaxed as he parted his lips away and wrapped his arms around his neck. Yixing smiled in relief in the kiss, melting in the sweetness of the other's feverish lips. They reluctantly backed away, seeking for air.

 

So, this is how a kiss feels like...

 

Joonmyun felt an embarrassingly bright tint of red painting over his cheeks as he covered them with his hands, his lids fluttering in an attempt to avert Yixing's gaze upon him. Huffing out a chuckle, the prince fondly Suho's silken hairs. Aware of the act of affection, Joonmyun nervously bit on his lower lip, inwardly fidgeting uncontrollably.

 

"I love you." Yixing confessed once again in a soothing whisper.

 

Slowly poking out of the wall his hands had built up, Joonmyun opened his mouth, willing to do the same... in the silent way.

 

I love you.

 

"I-I love you too." A heavenly soft, crystal-clear voice pierced through the air, reaching Yixing's ears.

 

The prince froze on the spot, registering what he had just heard. What mostly caused his present state was the fact that Suho had obviously spoke up. This... It was the voice that had mesmerized him four years ago. It was the voice that belonged to his one and only soul mate, the one that had made him fall deeply in love. When he found out Suho could no longer utter a single word, his heart had sunk a little.

 

Now...

 

Now, Suho had granted him everything he seeked: his love and his voice. He wished to hear it — the confession — once more, treasuring it in his mind.

 

"Wh-what did you just say?" Yixing incredulously faked a question, his lips curving into a smirk.

 

Oh. My. God.

 

"I-I—" Joonmyun stammered, becoming sentient of the return of his most cherished voice and his confession that had ended up out loud.

 

As a reflex, Joonmyun forcefully yanked him off on top of him, catching him off-guard. He sat up straight, his back stiffening as he racked his brain in a way to lessen his embarrassment. Yixing had fallen on the side, landing on the sand. He scoffed out a laugh as he propped himself up on his knees, scratching the back of his neck.

 

"I-I can talk." Joonmyun muttered, his eyes getting damp from the overwhelming emotions.

 

This... Do-does this mean that Prince Yixing and I were meant to be...?

 

"Yes. You can now apparently." Yixing confirmed his doubts. "Now, will you mind to repeat the first three words you had said?" He smirked in anticipation.

 

The "I love—"? Ah! No! I cannot do it again! Once was embarrassing enough! I need to distract him. "Oh, do you want to know my real name?"

 

"Huh, yes—Yah! Do not try to avoid my question!"

 

That was how a prince and a merman had found their fates intertwined. The prince had met someone to love. The merman had fathomed the feeling of love. A true love kiss had lifted off a misfortune, opening the gates to a hopefully propitious future.

 

All's well that ends well.

 

(It should be appropriate to wrap up their story with a cliché catch phrase, right?)


A/N: *stretchs out my arms* Woah. I'm finally down this story! What the hell have I written!? *hides in shame* Anyway, what's done is done. I hope you enjoyed reading it till the end. ^_^

 

Though, I don't know how it happened, but I ended up being so inspired with the Taoris part of this story! So, if you want to read the Taoris spin-off story... Here it is! 

 

ღ˚ •。* ♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。 Defying the Strings of Fate ღ˚ •。* ♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。