Responsibilities

Rich poor

 

“I’d look to buy these radishes please.” “Do you have leeks?” “How much is it for a kilogram of oranges?”

“That’ll be 5000 won please.” “Leeks? What is that?” “A kilogram of oranges? How much is that?”

“A-haa~ I’m so tired.”

“What give up already? It’s just 9:30 in the morning; more customers will in the afternoon.”

“What?!”

He raised an eyebrow. “Aren’t you the one who said who wanted to a normal person earning her own money?”

“Araso! I’m just warming up.” I forced a smile. It’s hard. It’s really hard earning your own money. I kind of appreciate now parents for always working me. I appreciate how nothing is easily given in this world, that everything must be earned.

Zico still helped me with the work I’ve been struggling and having difficulties. He’s really patient and really knows his stuff. I admired his hard work.

The day went by pretty fast because I was caught up with the demands and all. Now it’s over. Yes!

“You did great.” He said handing me a drink. “It was your first time working right? How was it? Are you still planning on continuing the bet?” He smiled evilly.

“Of course I will! I’m not a quitter!” He laughed. His laugh was so sweet and pure that it made me smile.

“As a treat I’ll take you to the place that always takes my stress away and that always cheers me up.”

-          - - -

“The Han River. Just in time to see the sunset.” We sat down near the river bank.

 “Waa~ Kireii na~ So beautiful~!”

“Isn’t it?” He was smiling proudly. “This is where I first went when I ran away from home… ”

I looked at him. There was a bit of regret in his eyes.

“I ran away because I was always pressured by my parents. I couldn’t take it anymore so I ran away. But my parents said that if I could live on my own for half a year, they said I could come back and not be pressured anymore. That I could what I like… There’s only a week left ‘til it’s already been 6 months.”

“So what are you gonna do after then? After you got your freedom?”

“I don’t know. I kind of like living like this but at the same I miss my old life back.” I ‘m really curious to what was his life like before. But I don’t want to be insensitive when he wants to keep it at that.

“You know, I admire you Maki,” he turned to me.

“Why is that?”

“You never give up even though you were having difficulties, but I did,” he turned back his gaze to the setting sun.

“Well nothing’s really easy in life. You just have to try your best to live to the fullest,” I smiled. “You could face the challenges head on or you could wait a bit and face it when the time’s right.”

“You’re right,” he chuckled, then he smiled at me. His smile that always made me feel warm and happy. A smile that I always wanted to see. I want to tell him how I feel but I’m scared what his response will be.

“Then I’ll try to face my problems once again,” he hugged. He was so warm. I hugged him back. “Thank you.” I want to stay like that for a long time. But he pulled away. “I’ll go back take on the responsibilities trusted on me.” He became one of the reason I wanted to stay here.

-          - - -

I went to work again but Zico wasn’t there. I asked ajhumma. “Ano.. Where is Zico?”

“Didn’t you hear he’s getting married, he said something about taking responsibility and facing it head on.”