What Happens At The Airport...

Falling For Fate

Hey, everyone! Welcome to the first installment of Mai and I's rewrite of our first fanfic and it's sequel (An Unexpected Twist of Fate and I'd Like To Think That This Was Fate). I'm sorry it took me so long to finish the first chapter V.V but I got kinda inspired after getting my award ^^ so I wanted to write something.
The next chapter will be written by Mai.
Enjoy! Please tell me what you think of it!

Falling For Fate.

Written by Nona93
Edited by Mangooey

Nona’s POV

‘We are now beginning the descent, please remain in your seats and put your safety belts on.’

My eyes flew open, only to flinch away from the bright light of the world outside the airplane. It took several blinks and eye rubs for me to remember exactly why I was on a plane. It had something to do with Mai… OH YEA! I was going to San Francisco to meet up with her on the way to Seoul. The thought of my hilarious, Asian best friend spread a wide grin across my face.

The plane began to shake as though it were a badly designed rollercoaster, bringing back the unpleasant reality—before meeting Mai, I had to face a large airport… alone. I had always been terrified by airports. I think it stems from the fear of getting lost in their seemingly endless terminals and hallways, being cornered by a terrorist who would knock me out, place a bomb in my luggage, and then leaving me to explain the contents of my luggage to the scary overweight airport cop with powdered sugar still stuck to his lips… just a theory.

I tried not to dwell on the thoughts of bombs and powdered sugar as the vibrations from the plane’s tires against the runway began to work their way from my feet to my head. When I stepped out of the plane I began to think about where Mai and I had agreed to meet. Slowly it dawned on me that the reason I couldn’t remember was because we had never made any plans to meet up. My suppressed thoughts of being knocked out and framed for terrorism were suddenly back full force and I began scanning the crowd for cops who looked to be rabid fans of Dunkin’ Donuts.

I wandered aimlessly through the flow of people too caught up in my own thoughts and fears to notice anything. My heart rate increased, and my eyes began to well out of frustration. My cell phone was dead and I had no clue where my ride was, if my ride was even there. I began to run, more for cathartic reasons than a real desire for speed. Blinded by the fear of being forever lost in an airport terminal, I didn’t even see the person I had crashed into before we were both flat on our backs.

“Owwwwie.” I whined rubbing the elbow that had caught the brunt of my fall.

“Are you alright?” a masculine voice inquired from above me.

I looked up to see a very attractive Asian man with lens-less glasses and a very bright white smile.

“Yeah I’m fine. Kamsahamnida” I replied, taking his offered hand and standing upright.

His eyes widen to the size of coasters. “You speak Korean?” he asked in his interestingly accented English.

“Ye!” I replied in my probably equally accented Korean. “Do you?” I asked, without really thinking it through.

He grinned and replied in impeccable Korean ‘Yes, considering that I was born there.’

I felt my face grow hot and was very cognizant of the fact that it was a beet red color. It was clearly one of those days in which my brain, my mouth, and my body were in complete disagreement. There had to be some way to rectify my embarrassing behavior, plus I knew that if Maline really was in this airport there were two things that she would kill me for not sharing; one of them was iced coffee, the other was a gorgeous man. The man standing in front of me was definitely that, if I wasn’t such a skeptical person I would suspect him of being a famous actor something of that nature.

“Well Mr…”

“Bryan Trevor Kim”

“Mr. Kim, is there any way I could con you into getting an iced coffee with me?” I said with a bit of a tremble to my voice. At least I think that’s what I said, I wasn’t really thinking straight.

He smiled a rather blindingly white smile and nodded. He seemed overly pleased about something. I knew it couldn’t be me. Maybe he was just really fond of iced coffee?

After some rather awkward moments of walking, we arrived at a Starbucks. There was an oddly familiar person there. She had a mocha skin tone, silky black hair, and almond eyes that glinted with mischief. She was exactly like Maline. After she’d glomped me I discovered that that was because she was Maline.

“NONA~” Maline exclaimed, using my nickname.

“MAI~” I exclaimed, using hers.

I was so caught up in the excitement that I’d forgotten about the strange, all be it gorgeous, Korean man behind me until Maline froze and looked at me with confusion.

“Nona, when did you marry a hot Asian guy and why was I not invited?” she asked in a daze. She was awed by Mr. Kim’s visage and caught her breath visibly when he smiled at her assumption.

“I didn’t marry a hot Asian, Mai, this is Mr. Kim—he’s a victim of my Nona Condition.” I said somewhat sheepishly.

“Pleasure to meet you.” He said, bowing towards Maline.

“I would like to pleasure you—I mean NICE TO PLEASURE YOU TOO—wait no,”

Maline had always been kind of shy around boys she liked. However, I had never seen her quite so… awkward, and knowing Maline it meant that she was in a serious ‘Romeo and Juliet’ like infatuation.

Mr. Kim didn’t seem to mind though, his grin just got wider as Maline’s blush grew more evident.

Suddenly there was a shuffle of excitement near us in the airport. Mr. Kim looked up very quickly and froze as he saw a very excited group of teenage girls with cameras glue to their faces and signs in Korean. He looked back and Maline and I with wide eyes and said in a rush.

“I’ve gotta go catch the flight to Seoul. Bye.” He walked away very quickly, but looked back to smile and wave once. Maline and I exchanged a brief confused look before getting our iced coffee.

“Oh shoot!” I cried.

“What, what’s going on? Don’t shoot  I don’t wanna die!!” Maline proclaimed as she pretended to be in a panic.

I laughed at my friend’s crazy antics. I had missed them. “I won’t shoot, I promise. However, I did forget to buy Mr. Kim the iced coffee I’d promised him.”

“Well, if you ever run into him again you should get him an iced coffee… and his number.” Maline sighed.

“He did say he was going to Seoul—so you never know. Maybe someday I will get him and iced coffee, get his number, and put in a good word for you.” I smiled as I watched my friend blush again.

“It was just that stupid amazing smile.” Maline said looking at the ground, using her hair as a shield from the outside world.

“Yeah… You could use it as a 150 watt light bulb.” I said matter-of-factly.

Maline gave me a very stale look.

“What—it’d be good for the environment.” I tried to reason.

“You’re just crazy, Nona!” Maline laughed. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too.”  I smiled.