Baekhyun's Bench

Baekhyun's Bench

Author's Note: Hi! :) Like what I've said on the foreword (just in case you're not the type who reads forewords, he he), this is a spin-off to Naughty, Naughty Lu Han and not a sequel. We get to see HunHan, but only as supporting characters. Sorry! I've felt like finally closing those two lovebirds's chapter in a much bigger story.

 

 

“Lu Han won’t make it,” Chanyeol sighed as he sat down. “Apparently, he’s too busy canoodling with Sehun.”

“Uh-huh.” Baekhyun replied, clearly uninterested with Lu Han and Sehun. He was so engrossed with the new plant toxins the university had acquired for their study.

They were in the “Lab.” The board of directors gave it to them after they’ve bagged the district’s most prestigious science award. Every Thursday, Baekhyun, Lu Han, and Chanyeol would meet at this place and test new chemicals shipped from various parts of the globe for the university’s research.

“What if Lu’s like one of those people who forget their friends once they’ve snagged a boyfriend or a girlfriend?” Chanyeol asked.

“You know that is not true.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Yeah, it just feels good saying that.”

Baekhyun prepared all the plant samples, carefully extracting its fluids. When he did not reply, Chanyeol said. “I saw him again today in the gym. Wearing only sweatpants.”

“Saw who? I cannot remember Lu Han going shirtless, not since that incident on the beach.” Baekhyun asked, still not looking up from his beakers.

Chanyeol sighed. “Not Lu, you idiot. The Chinese guy, Kris, remember? Lu Han totally swore he did not grow up in China because he eats his noodles differently. I don’t know what it is with eating and Chinese people, but he’s right. He grew up in Canada, I confirmed from a source.”

“Ah.”

Chanyeol, totally used to his friend’s I-don’t-really-care demeanor, continued. “You know what, you guys should set me up with him. I mean, just like what we did with Lu and Sehun.”

Baekhyun poured a scarlet chemical from an Erlenmeyer flask into his beaker. “I am afraid that is not possible.”

“Excuse me?”

Baekhyun sighed impatiently. He put the empty Erlenmeyer flask down with extra force. “Because Sehun approached us, Chanyeol. He asked for our help. Now, unless Lu Han has been hiding it from me, no, I have not received any plea of help from this Kris guy.”

Chanyeol threw a lab towel at Baekhyun, who dodged it expertly. “COME ON. I don’t want to graduate from college single. It was hard enough experiencing this in high school.”

“Why are you so eager on getting into a commitment? I just do not get it.”

Chanyeol snorted. “Ha! Says the man who’d dated bazillions of guys.”

“That is exactly the point, Chanyeol. I have dated a lot of guys; I keep on hoping it will be worth it, but no. It is always a disappointment.”

“Yes, but that’s because you always say they’re below your intellect, you douche.”

“That is only a part of it. There are hundreds of reasons and factors.”

Baekhyun resumed working on his chemicals. He poured another liquid from a flask and a fizz erupted from the beaker. Baekhyun frowned.

“You guys have to help me with him. Seriously—you have to put in another strychnine, it won’t work without another ounce—I’m head over heels with this guy.” Chanyeol said.

“Another ounce of strychnine? Why? Wouldn’t that be dangerous?”

“You just don’t question me when it comes to Chemistry. Do it.”

Baekhyun did what Chanyeol told him to do and true enough it produced the effect he was trying to achieve. “Thanks.”

“So, are you going to help me with him?”

Baekhyun started to write his findings. “Okay, let us presume we agreed to help you—how, Chanyeol? How are we supposed to hook you up with a heteroual guy?”

Chanyeol laughed out loud. “My, my. What happened to your gaydar? He’s totally gay. Biual, maybe, but he likes guys.”

“Says who? Your ‘source’?” Baekhyun replied sarcastically. “How many times have I reminded you about the dangers of pegging down your crush’s gender preference? There is a high chance you will be biased—of course you would want him to be gay.”

“I know, I know. But are you serious? Can’t you tell he’s totally into guys? Even Lu agreed.”

“Yes, and we all know how extremely reliable Lu’s gaydar can be.” Baekhyun finished jotting down his observations. “Remember that quarterback he swore was a closeted gay—the one he asked out?”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol recalled. “I think that was Jongin or something.”

“Yes, well he is lucky his fist didn’t land on his face. The guy was mortified when Lu Han whispered on his ear.”

Chanyeol broke out into hysteria. “What did he say again? ‘Dude, I know you prefer guys, too. What do you say we go out tonight?’”

Baekhyun half-cringed, half-smirked. He remembered how depressed Lu Han was that day. “You know how destroyed Lu was after that incident. Do you seriously want that to happen to you, too?”

“But how will we know without even trying? Tell me, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol’s tone was serious. He was frustrated at how lightly Baekhyun thinks of the situation, even though he’s practically begging him for help. “Just help me, okay?”

A long pause. Then, “If you can come up with something plausible, something fool-proof—”

“Let’s go check your book!” Chanyeol cut in.

“What book?”

“The same book we used with Lu. I think the title is No, You Can’t—”

“You did not tell me you were this desperate, Chanyeol! Seriously, that book?”

“Come on, if it worked for Lu then—”

“ANYTHING WILL WORK EVEN IF IT IS NOT FROM THAT BOOK BECAUSE SEHUN LIKES LU HAN. He APPROACHED us, Chanyeol. He approached—”

“THEN WHY DID YOU EVEN BUY THAT STUPID BOOK IN THE FIRST PLACE?”

“BECAUSE IT IS NICE TO BE REMINDED ABOUT HOW CRAZY AND STUPID HUMANS CAN BE SOMETIMES, YOU IDIOT.”

Chanyeol was exhausted. They’re both breathing heavily, and although this kind of talk with Baekhyun happens on an almost daily basis, his friend’s tenacity on arguments never fails to amaze him. In a way, it can be treated as Baekhyun’s strongest—even iest—attribute. “Are you seriously not going to help me? Like, really?”

Baekhyun stared at him for a long time. Chanyeol already declared himself victorious. Baekhyun wouldn’t stare at you for this long if he weren’t going to say yes.

“No.”

Chanyeol let out a screaming sound akin to that of a velociraptor’s. He almost threw a Bunsen burner on his friend’s face. Baekhyun smiled triumphantly. He was quite fond of torturing Chanyeol like this.

“I HATE YOU. I SWEAR I’LL POUR PLANT TOXINS ON YOUR FACE WHILE YOU’RE SLEEPING—”

Baekhyun laughed. Chanyeol looked really cute when he’s all T-Rex-like. “All right, all right. Meet me later at my place.”

           

I cannot remember when and how it all started.

All I remember is that I woke up one morning, and he is the first thought that popped into my head. And then I smiled and, although it was raining, the day seemed bright and promising. I felt comforted.

It was then that I realized I am in love with Chanyeol.

Needless to say I screamed and tore through my sheets after that.

I have always been in control. I know it was a major no-no to fall in love with your friend—your best friend—and there is no other choice than to kill the feeling immediately should the first symptoms appear.

I have tried various methods. I have been through the immature and childish route—I ignored Chanyeol for weeks, hoping he would come and woo me, and he did approach me. He even apologized, even if he did not know what was going on. It felt awesome at the time, and I was half-hoping this would trigger any sleeping romantic feelings he had for me. But it did not. I ended up even more depressed.

I made up with him and tried another method—dating other guys. I am not really the effeminate type of gay (when you grow up in a family where homouals are always crucified, ridiculed and cursed by your father and brothers, you take extreme measures to hide the fact that you are one), and somehow other attractive, manly gays seemed to dig that. I got tired eventually—most of them are a bunch of stupid idiots who think about 24/7. And yes, I always compare them to Channie. They never made me laugh the way he did, never made me think the way he did. It is wrong to compare that often, I know, but I cannot help it.

And so here I am, loving this creepy, crazy guy without him knowing it all these years.

“Baekhyun, is it that hard configuring the settings of your DSLR?” Chanyeol, cutting through my thoughts, surprised me—I almost dropped the camera.

“I am almost done. Shut it, you idiot.”

We’ve browsed through the book for an hour until we’ve agreed to the lone, sensible dare in it. We are to put dashing pictures of him—I’ll be the photographer—on Kris’s stuff until he realizes he’s cute and worth asking out (the book suggested “y and daring,” but I told Chanyeol we do not want Kris to be put off). (Honestly, I am just scared I would not be able to control my feelings once Chanyeol undresses for the shoot.)

“Okay, I’m ready.” I said. Chanyeol immediately positioned himself to my windowsill. He is wearing a black sleeveless shirt and figure-flattering jeans, which he bought especially for the occasion.

“You look silly; do not grin like that.” Chanyeol quickly adjusted his face to a more toned down smile. He posed like those models you see on the magazines and for a moment there, I paused. I am sure my mouth dropped.

He looked hot. Really hot.

Chanyeol is now looking at me—okay I mean looking at the camera—with such an intense expression, I almost melted. For some reason, I just could not press the shutter. And when I finally did, he adjusted himself to a more ually frustrating pose, like I am not dying of his hotness or something.

Only Chanyeol can make me think like a lovesick girl. I feel like damaging his face right now.

Snap! Snap! Snap! It is like he studied posing overnight, or took some classes. He is really taking this seriously. And for what? For that Chinese guy?

I felt a pang of jealousy. It was so heavy; I had to stop taking pictures for a while.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, his innocent, I-have-just-sniffed-crack expression returning. Seriously, only Chanyeol can combine innocence and crack together.

“You know what, Channie? This is not working.”

What?!” His face was a mixture of disbelief and frustration. I do not know whether I should savor it or not.

“What if we go for the real you? Like, the funny, crazy Chanyeol?”

His eyes looked as if they were about to burst. “No freaking way. You guys always tell me I look high all the time! I’ve practiced these poses, Baekkie!”

“I know, but…” The truth is there is no way in hell am I going to share these hot pictures to that Kris guy. These are all mine to keep. “It seems like he will enjoy that side of you. Yes, he looks like he is that kind of guy.”

“You don’t even know him,” he pouted.

I walked over to the windowsill and tried to coax him even more. By the look of things, I may be hitting two birds with one stone: Kris will not have Chanyeol’s pictures, and the chances of them being together would be almost non-existent. Because let us face it, Chanyeol’s creepy smiles would send any other man running after his mother. “Look, all I am saying is that as your friend who had been through relationships before, I know that this is what guys like. It will make you look more attractive to their eyes. Especially the straight ones.”

Something flickered in his eyes. Hope, I think. “Really?”

“Yes,” I swallowed. “I have had a relationship with a straight-guy-turned-bi remember? I know these things.”

“Well, okay… How’s this?”

“Perfect.” Snap!

 

“So basically, what you’re saying is you’ve always been in love with Channie, and instead of helping him out with Kris, you actually messed things up?” Lu Han said. He is actually taking all these quite calmly, and it is starting to freak me out.

“I have not messed things up, okay? Yet.” Three days ago, we have inserted Chanyeol’s crazy-looking pictures inside Kris’s notebooks, locker, bag, car, mail box, etc., and so far there has been no response. We have been expecting him to find Chanyeol and punch the lights out off him, and we would have been grateful. At least he reacted.

The lack of reaction made Chanyeol sickeningly hopeful with the whole thing though, and when I woke up this morning, my conscience just could not take it. I had to tell someone. I had to tell Lu Han.

“Baekhyun, I am very disappointed in you.” Lu Han sipped his Salted Mocha Caramel frappe, and I noticed the necklace he is wearing—it has an underwear pendant, and surprise, surprise… the underwear has leopard prints

“I know, I know okay?  And right now, I really do not care. I need you to help me think of something to undo—”

“Do you even respect Chanyeol?”

The question hit me on the face. At first I did not get it—it seemed ridiculous. I love Chanyeol, and I have a great respect for him.  Or so I think.

“It isn’t his fault you’re chicken enough to admit your feelings,” Lu Han said with pained expression in his eyes.

I invited him—and Sehun because I had no choice, they are inseparable—to join me at the Starbucks near our university. Sehun returned to the table with our caramel waffles. He was there when I told Lu about my feelings for Channie and, so far, he did not give any of his opinions on the matter. I am very relieved to find out he is that kind of guy.

“And what makes you think no one would love Chanyeol’s cracked side? I love him for that. It’s what makes him adorable.”

I have told him about that bit too, and right now I feel too ashamed to have thought of Channie like that. Lu Han is right; I should not have underestimated his charisma. To be honest, it is one of the reasons why I fell for him. There is a certain charm to Chanyeol’s weirdness that I found refreshing.

I guess I am just too proud to admit it.

“You are right Lu… I did mess everything up.”

Lu Han placed his hand over mine. “It’s not too late, Baek.”

I looked at him and he winked at me.

He is right. It is not too late.

 

Chanyeol have been waiting for Baekhyun for 15 minutes already. He’s starting to get annoyed, but what can he expect from his friend? Baekhyun’s always late.

Chanyeol read his friend’s message for the umpteenth time, Chanyeol! Meet me at Boolsae Park in 10 minutes. I have something important to tell you. He knew whatever he’s going to say must be important, because Boolsae Park have always been the venue for dramatic announcements between the two of them (“Baekhyun, I’ve finally removed my braces!” “Chanyeol, I’ve finally bottomed!”) This is where they’ve first met, four years ago.

“Channie!” He saw Baekhyun running towards their bench. He smiled, knowing that it is going to be a fine day for both of them.

 

There he is, grinning at me like an idiot.

I have always imagined this place whenever I thought of admitting my feelings to Chanyeol.  Four years ago, when I found out about my love for him, I had carved something under our bench—the bench where we first met.

I love you, Chanyeol—creepiness and all.

I never thought I would be able to show him this carving after all—never in a million years. I never thought I would have this courage to finally own up to what I feel.

I’m ready. I will tell him today. Right now.

“Okay, this better be good, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said as I sat on the bench. He is still grinning at me like an idiot… but he is my idiot. I pinched his nose—I could not help it.

“Ow! What’s wrong with you?” Chanyeol massaged his nose while hitting me. I laughed because he looked like a bullied kid.

I am filled with a mixture of happiness and anxiety. Happy to finally let it all out, and anxious with how Chanyeol would react.

“Well, I have something to tell you too,” Chanyeol still looked sullen, and my giggles annoyed him.

“Okay, you first.”

Chanyeol held my hands, and smiled brightly. My heart almost melted. I could get used to this scene.

“Kris asked me out! Our plan worked, Baekkie!”

 

The end.