Chapter two- Doing the Unthinkable

The Puppy and His Kitten

 

Great. Just poo-stinking great.

 

Key's senses had woken up completely, one by one. There was no denying the truth. It was staring Key in the face. A flail of elongated limbs. Arms as they were called. Key scoffed, eyeing himself. He stretched spying five limbs at the end of his arms. ‘Just like the toes on my paws, right?’ Key thought. He placed them onto the ground and used the power in his shoulder and chest to heave his brand new human face off the floor.

 

He noticed the fifth limb was shorter and stubbier than the others; it also stuck out at a right angle unlike the other four which faced forwards. A smile played on his lips. He knew what this limb was. His eyes shut momentarily as he remembered the words of his favourite author. ‘The only characteristic which prevents the spread of feline dominance over the human plague is the nonexistence of the Homo sapien’s fifth limb on a cat’s paw. If we were lucky enough to develop this feature due to a spontaneous mutation, we would be unstoppable.’- a quote from ‘Gangs of Cats With Disposable Thumbs’ by the blossoming ever-purring beauty Yoon Eun Hye. Key wondered what was so special about this ‘thumb’, could it shoot laser bolts- maybe it lit up to help humans see better in the dark or it helped their awful balance as they didn’t have any whiskers or a tail. All they had was beards and unsightly pubic hair, which wasn’t addictive to touch like Key’s fur.

 

With all these complaints running around his head chasing each other, he was really missing his kitten body. He guessed he wouldn’t be able to jump from great heights anymore as humans did not have a righting reflex (the action which ensures cats always land on their feet). He wondered if after he found the puppy who was the cause of his misfortune, instead of taking him back to Anulasia could he push him of a building. ‘Yes,’ Key thought staring into the distance at the tallest skyscraper his vigilant eyes could see, ‘that one is just the right size to cause major damage.’

 

He knew if he carried out such a plan, the Council would never reverse his punishment. But did he really care- Key was angry, livid at his so called best friend. He felt used and no one messes with Key without getting clawed. Since he couldn’t physically scratch him anymore with these human…nails are they called? Death would just have to do. First he would have to find that good for nothing canine. Even thinking about that douche made his mouth taste bitter.

 

Key decided finally to get himself out of the dark alleyway and into the busy street in front of him. He negotiated the path on all fours, as soon as he reached the opening which lead onto the main road, he looked left and then right. No he wasn’t checking for cars coming in either direction so he could cross the road like an elementary student would do. Key was observing. Cats had four legs, humans had two. ‘More is better,’ he thought smugly but he knew that if he walked onto the street on all fours Doojoon would have his head and Key would quite like to keep his head –he found it to be a useful part of his anatomy unlike these thumbs. Not only that, he needed to fit in, he could only imagine the reaction of the humans to sight of the him walking like an animal.

 

He was an alien and he knew it –they would probably cart him off to some sort of scientific testing facility, his body would be mutilated…he would never get to push that darn puppy off a high enough building. No. Key would have to succumb to acting like a lower being and walk on only two limbs. He knew he would have to take this nice and easy after all this was a new experience for him.

 

Key, still on all fours slowly leaned the side of his back against the brickwork of the alleyway. Using his hands he pawed his way higher until he was vertical, stretching his legs to full height. He fingers lay flat above his head, he brought them down to dangle below his hips whilst slowly forcing his full back against the wall for support. He yet again gazed out towards the street. He smirked, he was tall. It was dark in the alleyway so Key could see the humans but they couldn’t see him. He began counting as the humans walked passed him. “1, 2, 3, 4…oh there are two there…that makes it 6…7, 8-oh that guy is probably taller…9!” Key whispered punching the air in a silent victory. Nine out of the ten male humans that had just walked past him looked to be shorter than him.

 

If he was taller than ninety percent of the population that was something worth celebrating. Although, Key isn’t too keen on being human, he still wanted to be a better fake human than as many real humans as possible. He knows tall, dark, handsome males were at the top of the food chain. Key knew he was tall by definition, he couldn’t tell if he was dark as of yet but was pretty certain he was handsome. He was pretty beautiful as a kitten and that alone should make him handsome right? About being a male, he thought that was a no-brainer, the transformation would not have changed his - unless Doojoon was feeling particularly nasty. Key cringed at the thought, no way.

 

Well he’d worry about that later, since he had no idea how to check if he was male or not. It wasn’t something he thought he should have learnt, he never wanted to grow up and become a human doctor that helped human females deliver their children –‘Ugh…lazy es,’ he thought, after all his mum had given birth to several large litters throughout her life without any help.

 

For the last five minutes Key’s eyes never left the bottom of the street. He just needed a suitable human to imitate. Key was good at imitating; he was certain he could copy any walk perfectly- but finding the right person as a guide was difficult. He let his gaze fall on an elderly woman, her walk was painstakingly slow. It was like ever step was a challenge. He felt a strong urge to scoop her up in her arms & carry her home. He shook his head vigorously. "Key, snap out of it! Don’t demote yourself by even thinking of helping these...creatures!" he scolded himself.

 

The old lady is…well old and Key was confident that he was no way near her age. She had wrinkles and he doesn’t…does he? Doojoon wouldn’t have changed his age -unless he was feeling particularly nasty. Key cursed himself inwardly ‘Idiot! I shouldn’t have pushed him so far, why can’t I keep my mouth shut? Wait I know why, the words just fill my buccal cavity till it feels like my mouth will explode and then my stupid brain agrees to let all those emotions that should have been kept in roll out on my bloody tongue..UGH!’ Key smacked his forehead repeatedly, eventually balling his fists and staring deadpan at the ground trying to calm the rage he felt at himself. No matter how much he wanted to blame the worthless puppy it was his own fault that his punishment had been this severe. Him, his big mouth and his diva-sized ego.

 

A guy who was no older than twenty years was walking toward Key. Bag slung over his shoulder, shirt not tucked in. ‘Number 11,’ he thought still counting those males that he was taller than. He was the right age, but his shoulders were slumped. His heels were dragging on the floor as if he had no purpose to live anymore. Key shuddered. He was completely different to this guy, he exuded confidence and superiority. He wasn’t a loner like this guy. He was Key the guy everybody wanted to talk to, the guy that everyone wanted to be –Key was fine with admitting that, he’d want to be him too if he was someone else.

 

Key was just about to give up and invent his own diva-esque walk, when she came into view. ‘That is perfect…it is so me,’ he whispered as he eyed the beautiful sight in front of him. She was well dressed in very trendy clothes, her hips swayed to the side making everyone even females gawk at her rear & she was exuding high levels of confidence. At last he had finished shopping for his human walk. All that remained was for him to try it on.

 

Key was excited. It wasn’t like he did this every day. He pushed himself off the wall using the five limbs on the end of his arms; he swayed forwards but caught his balance just in time. “Everything is a lot harder without whiskers and a tail,” he moaned wishing one more time that he was still a capable feline. Key was getting impatient. If everything took this long to do then he’d never find that darn puppy. He wanted to find him and go home. Back to Anulasia.

 

With this new found confidence and determination. He made that leap. It maybe a small step for humankind but this was a gigantic leap for kitty kind. At first he felt unsteady but as soon as he took the second footing his imitation powers came to life. Although his actions were a little disorientated, his attempt was a little more than passable. Finally he walked out onto the street he had been eyeing for at least an hour now. His acute senses took in all the new sights, smells and sounds. ‘Isn’t it good to be alive even if I’m human…teehee I haven’t attempted to kill myself yet!’ Key thought positively. He was already half way down the street when because of his lack of walking skills he bumped into a female human who was walking in the opposite direction.

 

“Excuse, do you think you could watch where you are sticking your arms?” the lady exclaimed every syllable exuding upper class elitism. “No matter, It was probably the closest you’ll ever get to something as expensive as myself, don’t worry I’ll forgive your…” the lady was abruptly cut off by Key’s growling. He whipped his head around to face her faster than anyone would have thought it possible. His feline eyes were full of rage, hands shaking as he pointed at the woman and his face was turning a shade of red- if this was a cartoon, steam would have been erupting from his ear by the puff load.

 

Key didn’t want to blow up at her. In reality it was probably his fault since he was flailing his arms around a bit too much. He would have apologised…maybe if she hadn’t had said those words. He wanted to be like his friends: Mr. Green Man & Mr. Red Man. He wanted to control humans just by his presence, but Key had always been too vocal for that since birth. He opened his mouth to launch a verbal attack telling her exactly what was inferior about her race, but his mouth couldn’t form the words needed. He was in shock.

 

The lady who had just been making insulting remarks to him was eyeing him. She looked at his face, his chest, his waist, his legs, his arms and back to his face. She bit her lip and stared directly into his eyes. ‘No this girl isn’t just looking at me, she’s checking me out,’ Key smirked at the thought before briskly turning on his heel to leave as carefully as possible to avoiding falling flat on his face and embarrassing himself after such a victory. He turned the corner and raised his fist in the air. ‘Mr. Red Man, Mr. Green Man –I did it! I controlled her!” he said to himself. It was a good thing the street he had to wasn’t busy otherwise he’d have drawn attention to himself and not in a good way.

 

He turned his back on the road and found himself facing the shop window. He could see the reflection of his face for the first time. He placed both of his palms onto his cheeks, checking the reflection in window, was that really him? His hair was blonde and laid messily on his forehead. His high cheekbones, his perfect pink heart-shaped lips & those eyes were just breathtaking. They were feline in shape, brown in colour and the best thing was his eyes were lined with black just like they were yesterday when he was still a kitten. He was beautiful. He knew it; the lady sure knew it and he was going to make sure the rest of the human population knew it too. “Thank you Doojoon…” he sniffed as a tear rolled down his cheek. “Thank you for not making me ugly…” he brought his hand to his cheek to wipe away his tear but a much smaller hand got there first.

 

Key stared at the reflection. There on his shoulder where a moment ago there was nothing but thin air was a small white faced capuchin, the monkey wore the symbol of the Court of Anulasia around his neck. He knew exactly who this creature was.

 

“Yoseob…what do you want?” Key asked trying to feign an annoyed tone even though they both knew he was relieved to see a familiar face –even if it was Doojoon’s right hand man.

 

The capuchin removed his small hand and stared directly at Key. “I came to see how you were doing…you look even prettier with your eyes open,” Yoseob replied in a matter of fact tone leaning closer to Key’s face never breaking eye contact. Key blushed and observed his reflection as his cheeks tinted pink. He moved his precious face away from his friend, knowing full well if he made Yoseob angry and he was this close to his pride and joy, the monkey‘s rage could cause a lot of unthinkable damage.

 

“I’m doing fine.”

 

“Then what is with the tears?” Yoseob raised his brow inquiringly at Key.

 

“’Seobie you know me…just being thankful that Doojoon changed me into a beautiful human and not an ugly one!!,” Key’s mouth curved up in a smile that showed his cute dimples. He brought both his hands to his chest and spun around -spreading his arms out to help keep his balance. Yoseob held on as tightly as he could without digging his nails into his friend’s skin. He didn’t like to face Key’s wrath when he was a kitten and Doojoon was around. Facing Key’s wrath when he was bigger than he was and without his trusted Master by his side wasn’t an ideal situation. A smile appeared on Yoseob’s lips as the kitten-like human faced him once again. “So, what is the real reason you are here? The truth this time.”

 

“Well...” Yoseob began.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Wow, I wrote a lot more than this but this is all you are getting. I really love this story and I want to feel 100 percent happy with the updates I give. So if it is not perfect I won't post it...yet.

I made good on my promise to some of you guys! It is a lot longer :-3 I'm hoping to keep the chapters at this length. If you are interested this is around 2,500 words. Not much really happens, but I just wanted to present Key's personality to you guys as well as his adjustment from being a kitty to being human. The next chapter will include divaness, Jjong's short introduction and the events prior to Key turning human!

Aaah yes, I used Yoon Eun hye unnie as the author just because when I googled her a selca of her as a kitten came up and I like her so she got put into the story -will she be mentioned again? only I know for sure :-3 The title of the the book 'Gangs of Cats With Disposable Thumbs' is from an advert on television for Cravendale Milk! This is the one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6CcxJQq1x8

The information about cats like the righting reflex and that whiskers & tails help balance are all true. Yup showing off my feline knowledge :-3

Till next time and as always infinite love to my 11 subscribers! Thank you so much!

Also thanks to those silent readers, I don't bite...really I used to silently read, but after I started posting my own fanfiction you don't know how nice and amazing it feels to see those words in the left corner of your screen 'new subscribers' or 'new comments' :-3 I love you guys toooo!

                                                                                                                                                                                      Lollie

Psst: I started writing another fanfic, I was struggling with the flow of this one so I wrote something else to help me get back in to rhythm. You should go take a look!