1-Final

Watching

"You're breaking up with me?" Soomi stuttered.

"We're from different worlds. We don't belong with each other." Kyungsoo started, before he could finish however Soomi cut in.

"No! I don't care. I love you—quirky, nerdy and all!" Soomi insisted, he was the best thing that's ever happened to her; she wasn't going to lose him.

"I'm sorry," he said as he pried her clawing hands off of his forearm an walked away.

Soomi watched Kyungsoo's retreating back before collapsing on the ground, sobbing.

(Five years later)

Soomi stepped out of her Mercedes and strutted into the building; instantly, a flock of girls came to her and reported what happened while she was gone and what needed to be done.

The purple folder, in her new intern's hand, caught her eye and she announced that she would be taking th client. The girls bowed in repsosnse and scurried off to their respective duties. She looked over the file when a name caught her eye--Jung Youngjoo. She whooped out loud and danced around in joy. She settled own and whipped out her phone to call Youngjoo.

"Hello?"

"Hi, this is Kim Soomi--your wedding planner?" Soomi inquired.

"Oh! yes! Ohmigod! You're our wedding planner? Ohmigod I can't believe it! I'm ecstatic!"

"Why, thank you. Hows about we set up a meeting for tomorrow at one for lunch?" Soomi said, whipping out her calender book.

"Yes! Of course, it's a date!' Youngjoo agreed.

"What's a date?" A male voice asked.

"The wedding planner I asked for took our wedding!" Youngjoo near screamed.

"Okay, well I'll see you tomorrow." Soomi said.

"Oh! Yes, okay!" Youngjoo piped.

Soomi sighed before setting the phone down and getting back to work.

 

Soomi sat at the cafe with her legs crossed while she waited for her clients. Youngjoo came scurrying in panting, she scanned the room before she saw Soomi and hurried over.

"I'm so sorry! I got caught in traffic. My fiancee couldn't come." Youngjoo apologized.

“It’s fine. I trust you can cover what we’re going to cover today with him.” Soomi assured.

They spent the rest of the afternoon planning out Youngjoo’s dream wedding. The next few weeks were hectic for Soomi, she needed to find a wedding venue, a wedding dress, and a catering service that all fit into Youngjoo’s standards. She was going over wedding venues when Youngjoo called her.

“Hi, did you need anything?”

“Yeah, I was wondering if we could meet up. My fiancée is free and he wanted to meet you.” Youngjoo said over the phone.

“Sure, when?”

“Dinner?”

“Okay I’ll be there.” Soomi said after getting the location of the restaurant that Youngjoo wanted to meet at.

 

Two hours later, Soomi pulled up to the restaurant and gave the valet her keys. She lilted inside and spotted Youngjoo waving at her from a corner table. As she drew closer she saw that the man sitting next to her was Kyungsoo; the boy who broke her heart and the boy she still loved. She slowed her pace and sat down across from the couple, plastering a fake smile across her face.

“Soomi! Glad you could come!” Youngjoo chittered.

“Of course; anything for my client.” Soomi replied.

“Soomi?” Kyungsoo asked with round eyes. He was dressed in a grey suit with a black tie; his hair was swept to the side and he had dumped his glasses. Soomi felt herself feeling nostalgic, she quickly shook the feeling away and greeted him.

“Hi Kyungsoo.” Soomi replied with a small smile.

“I didn’t know you were the wedding planner.”

“Yeah, well I’m pretty well known around this neck of the woods. And what about you? Mister Successful?” Soomi replied half-heartedly.

“Yeah well. School paid off.” Kyungsoo replied with a smile.

“Do you know each other?” Youngjoo asked with a look of surprise.

“Yeah we were classmates.” Soomi replied before Kyungsoo could say anything. He gave her a look while she gave a subtle shake of the head.

“Oh really? Cool!” Youngjoo exclaimed back to her bubbly self.

 

That night, Soomi brought out an old battered photo album. It was full of pictures of her and Kyungsoo: kissing, hugging, on dates, at prom, at the theme park, in bed. Soomi found herself sobbing; she couldn’t believe Kyungsoo broke up with her because they were from different worlds when Youngjoo was more out of his world than she was. She laughed bitterly and walked to her freezer; she tugged out a tub of chocolate ice cream and turned the television on. Everything was about love, romance, and happy ending. She scoffed and turned it to a sad movie; she watched the movie emotionlessly. In the end, the guy died in a car accident and the girl lived by herself for the rest of her life. That was what love was about, not the whole happy ending crap. Love like that wasn’t real; at least not for girls like her.

She fell asleep with the tub of ice cream still in her arms. When she woke up she felts a strange sticky substance on her and screamed. The ice cream melted all over her and the ice cream was now a dry, sticky puddle on her couch. She spent the day cleaning her couch and by three in the afternoon—she was beat. Just as she collapsed in bed, her phone rang.

“,” she cursed. “Hello?”

“Hi! Soomi, I chose a date for the wedding! This Saturday.” Youngjoo rambled.

“T-this S-Saturday? B-But isn’t that too soon? I mean you guys just got engaged and now you guys are getting married and I don’t understand.” Soomi ranted before Youngjoo cut her off.

“I know! But Kyungsoo wants to get this over with as soon as possible. Men right?” Youngjoo chuckled good-heartedly.

“Yeah….men. Hey, I got your message so I have to go now, alright?” Soomi said in haste before hanging up now bothering to wait for a reply.

Did Kyungsoo really hate her that much? He breaks up with her and has her hung up over him for five years—only to get married to another girl and when he sees her again he wants to move the wedding up? Soomi hadn’t felt more depressed in her life. She sighed and jumped when her phone rang. An unknown number popped on screen.

“Hello?” She answered warily.

“Soomi?” A sweet voice oozed from the phone.

“Oh, Kyungsoo…hi. I heard about the wedding, I’ll arrange everything for you guys.” Soomi said.

“Sure but we don’t need an engagement party. We had one a few months back.” Kyungsoo informed.

“Sure thing. Is there anything else you need? Because I’m going to go.” Soomi trailed off.

“Actually yeah. How are you? We haven’t seen each other in a while.”

“Yeah…we haven’t because last time we saw each other you broke my heart, Kyungsoo.”

“I’m sorry…”

“Look Kyungsoo. It hurts enough to watch you get married to someone else. Can you not try to make small talk with me? Let’s keep this professional.” Soomi murmured.

“Uh, yeah sure. Sorry, if I made you uncomfortable.”

“It’s fine. I’ll be scheduling your bachelor’s party and Youngjoo’s bachelorette. Call me if you need me.”

“Alright, thank you.”

“Sure.”

 

Two days later, both Kyungsoo’s and Youngjoo’s parties were in order. Soomi relaxed at home in two days’ time the love of her life was getting married to another girl and she had to watch. She threw an arm across her face and attempted sleep when her phone rang.

“Hello?” She mumbled.

“Soomi? I need you to come down here.” Kyungsoo’s voice drifted from the other side.

“Okay, I’ll be there soon.” Soomi replied.

Thirty minutes later, she pulled up in front of the thumping building. She strutted inside and glanced around, a hand tapped the small of her back and she squealed. She turned to find a grinning Kyungsoo.

“What did you need?” Soomi sighed.

“Can we talk outside?” Kyungsoo asked looking like a lost school boy.

“Yeah I guess.”

“What did you need?” Soomi asked as soon as they stepped out on the veranda.

“Am I doing the right thing?” Kyungsoo asked turning his head to gaze into her eyes. These were the eyes that she used to get lost in—that she was still getting lost in. The rich black almost tar like color of it—it moved almost like a black sea.

“What do you mean?”

“Am I making a mistake marrying Youngjoo?”

“W-w-what?” Soomi spluttered.

Kyungsoo was about to answer when a male’s voice screamed for Kyungsoo. He gave her an apologetic look before trudging back inside. Soomi drove home with her heart thumping; was he acknowledging old feeling? Or was he just being weird?

The next morning were rehearsals and she drove over to the venue only to find Kyungsoo standing at the alter by himself.

“Where’s Youngjoo?” Soomi demanded.

“She had a bit too much to drink and she’s a bit hung over.” Kyungsoo said.

“Um, okay. Here’s what we’ll do, I’ll step in as Youngjoo and we’ll rehearse and have fun. Okay!” Soomi clapped her hands.

As she got to the part where the groom had to kiss the bride, she panicked and she gave him a quick peck before announcing.

“See! That’s it! Okay, I’m going to go now!”

She stepped outside to find her lips still tingling. A noise from her right startled her and she gasped. Mira, her old boss, stood there with her arms crossed and a smirk on her lips.

“So this is who Youngjoo hired.”

“You were on this job?”

“Yeah, but apparently she felt that I wasn’t doing very well.”

“Wow.”

“Look, I have an offer for you. I need someone to head my offices in Tokyo. Will you do it? I can’t think of anyone else better.”

“I’ll get back to you on it.”

“You can’t. Plane leaves tomorrow noon.”  Mira said handing her a ticket.

“Can I have at least until tonight?” Soomi begged.

“Sure.”

Kyungsoo stepped out right after Mira drove away in her car.

“Who was that?”

“Oh! A friend.” Soomi replied.

“Ah, thanks for earlier.”

“You’re welcome.”

Silence fell between them before Soomi broke it.

“Did you mean it?”

“Mean what?”

“When you asked me whether or not you were making a mistake. Did you mean it?”

“Did I? Wow, I must have had one too many to drink. Wow, I can’t believe I said that.” Kyungsoo denied shaking his head chuckling.

Soomi stood speechless before she walked off, ignoring Kyungsoo’s calls to her. As she drove away her phone rang—Youngjoo’s name popped up on screen and she nearly sobbed.

“Hello?”

“Hi! I wanted to thank you for covering me!”

“Sure…”

“Can I treat you to dinner? I have an announcement I want to make.”

“Okay.”

That night, Soomi walked into the restaurant to find Kyungsoo and Youngjoo waving to her. She waved and sat down.

“What did you need to tell me?”

“There’s this house two doors down from yours. It was on sale and we put up an offer. We’re buying it!”

“Wait, you mean we’re going to be neighbors?”

“Yes! Isn’t it great?”

“Actually….”

“What is it?” Kyungsoo inquired.

“I got a job offering in Tokyo.”

“What? You mean we won’t be neighbors?” Youngjoo asked with a disappointed frown.

“Yeah and I won’t be there tomorrow either.”

“You won’t?” Kyungsoo asked with disappointment hiding in the crevices of his eyes.

“Yes. I leave tomorrow. I’m sorry.” Soomi said standing up to take her bags. “I have to go now and pack.”

“I’m so sad and happy at the same time.” Youngjoo said giving her a squeeze which Soomi replied to half-heartedly.

“Keep in touch.” Kyungsoo said.

“Sure…”

 

The next day, she got in her car as she was driving her phone rang.

“Hello?” She said through her Bluetooth.

“Soomi, hey. Long time no see. I heard you were heading off to Tokyo.” A deep voice resonated.

“Chanyeol?”

“Sure thing.”

“How are you?”

“I’m good and you? I heard you arranged baby Kyungsoo’s marriage. I can’t believe you did that for him. I’m proud. How are you holding up?”

“You were my best friend. You tell me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. He said something to me you know when he was drunk at his bachelor’s party.”

“Sweetie, I hate to break it to you. But he wasn’t drunk.”

“What do you mean? Yes he was. He told me.” Soomi insisted.

“No, he didn’t touch his drink. All he had was a few waters and a pina colada. Can you believe the guy? ? Geez, can he get anymore weird?”

“You mean? He lied?”

“Yup.”

“Ohmigod. Chan, I have to go.”

“Sure thing honey bun. Let’s make it a point to see each other soon.”

“Yeah sure.”

Soomi sped off towards the wedding venue. She honked, sped, and cut lanes all the way there. She parked in front of the venue and ran out. She burst through the doors and panted.

“Soomi?” Youngjoo’s voice floated.

“Yeah I’m sorry. You’re a great girl but Kyungsoo doesn’t belong with you. He belongs with me. I love him and I always have; I will continue to love him until I die and I know he loves me back. So I’m sorry.” Soomi said in a rush as she turned to look at Kyungsoo. He didn’t move, only gaped. A few minutes passed before Soomi nodded before running off.

 

She sat there sobbing—how stupid could she have been? For him to really love her? After he dumped her? She was delusional and a psycho . She just ruined someone’s wedding—someone who was sweet and kind. She couldn’t feel more disgusted. A pair of black dress shoes appeared in her peripheral vision and she looked up to find a solemn Kyungsoo.

“I’m  sorry.” She whispered, “I’m sorry I ruined your wedding. I’m sorry I’m keeping you from your wife. I’m sorry for reading the signs wrong. I’m sorry for loving you.”

“Shh, shh. It’s fine. Don’t cry,” he soothed.

“How can it be fine? I ruined your wedding. Youngjoo probably hates me I can’t believe I did that.”

“I didn’t marry her.”

“You didn’t?” Soomi looked up.

“No, I couldn’’t. And I know I shouldn’t have lied but I was scared. I broke up with you because I was a coward and I almost made a mistake because I was a coward. I love you. I do. And I wasn’t drunk that night.”

“Then why did you lie?” Soomi blubbered.

He gently thumbed her tears away before replying, “Because I’m a coward. I’m sorry. I didn’t know if you still loved me or not. But seeing you stop my wedding I knew. You were ready to risk everything for me.”

“Yes, because I love you.”

“I do too.” He said as he leaned closer to her. Their lips met and Soomi’s eyes fluttered closed. It was like their first kiss all over again. He pulled away and smiled leaning his forehead against hers. She sighed in content and laughed; she finally had her man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is! My first one-shot! Enjoy. LOL, the next one will be up tomorrow!

Word Count: 2,517