Entwine

The Runaway.

[Chapter 2: Entwine]

 

[Dara’s POV]

 

I’m exhausted. My back’s aching really badly, and my neck feels like it’s gonna fall off anytime soon. I can’t wait to go home and lie down on my fluffy bed with a cup of hot chocolate in my hand. Sigh I really dislike working on Fridays – the crowd seems to be never ending. And whenever things get hectic, my nerves tend to act up. And when my nerves act up…

I end up breaking cups!!!

I’ve been breaking and dropping things very frequently lately. The manager’s really nice – he never asks me to pay for it (he doesn’t even scold me!), but he’s so nice that I can’t help feeling really really really bad. I sort of wish he could be a little meaner about it, at least that way, I wouldn’t feel so guilty.

Ahh whatever. I just want to get home and sleep right now.

“Hey there, pretty. You look lonely.”

I stopped in my tracks. Okay, bad move.

Some tall, burly guy appeared in front of me. I swear, he’s got one of the most hideous grins I’ve ever seen in my whole life.

“Are you dumb? Didn’t you mother teach you that it’s rude not to reply when someone’s talking to you?”

The nasal voice came from somewhere behind me. So the tall one’s not alone after all.

I must have been deaf not to have heard them sneaking up behind me. Should I run? But they’re surrounding me now…

Oh god there are four of them. How am I supposed to run away…

I smell alcohol – yes they’re obviously drunk. I could feel my breathing quicken – my heart’s beating really fast now.

Should I scream? But there’s no one around. Or should I run. I should, maybe I should…

Oh god I don’t know what to do.

Today’s really not my day.

 

[Jiyong’s POV]

 

Those four asses look like they’re about to eat her up. And what’s the girl doing walking alone at this time of the night anyway.

Seriously, I swear she doesn’t have much sense.

To hell with that. It’s got nothing to do with me anyway.

I wound the window up and stuck the key into the ignition. Just as I was about to step on the pedal, I heard a soft, muffled scream, followed by the sound of clothes ripping apart.

I closed my eyes and cursed inwardly as my fists clenched at my sides.

I really shouldn’t get involved.

She’s that murderer’s sister after all; the same dirty blood runs in them. Scums like that don’t deserve to be saved.

 

[Dara’s POV]

 

Hot tears are stinging my eyes now. I hate it, I hate the fact that I’m crying. It makes me feel so weak. I’ve been struggling to keep the tears in; I don’t want to give these bastards the benefit of seeing my tears. But I can’t seem to stop them from falling…

I’m scared. I really am.

I can feel their disgusting hands running all over my body. My shirt’s been ripped apart, exposing my bra. I feel exposed, and so . But I can’t do anything about it, not when my hands are held tight behind me like that.

I want to scream, to scream as loud as I can, but no sound seems to be coming out from my throat.

Don’t give up Dara… don’t stop fighting.

Breathing deeply, I yanked my right foot out of their hold and kicked the guy who was standing right I front of me with all the strength I could muster. I was proud of myself for a second, when I saw him stumble backwards in pain. But the grip on my hands instantly tightened from behind me, and my heart sank as I realized what was in store for me.

With a low growl, the one I kicked came towards me and gave me a tight slap. I gasped at the sudden pain.

He grabbed my neck with his hand. “.” He hissed in my face, as he tightened his fingers, choking me.

I couldn’t breathe. Gasping for air, I stretched my neck as much as I could, trying to get some air into my lungs. Just when I thought I was done for, he relaxed his hold on my neck – momentary relief flooded through me as I felt a sudden rush of air fill my lungs. But the relief was soon gone as he reached up to my bra and ripped it off me with one swift motion.  

My body shuddered in fear as a rough hand reached for my right and squeezed it. Another hand was slipping under my skirt, touching and kneading my inner thighs. They kept saying disgusting things in my ear, dirty things that I didn’t want to hear – I can feel myself shaking my head frantically. I don’t want to hear it, I don’t want to hear their disgusting voices.

I don’t want them to touch me.

Oh god please, please don’t let this happen to me.

I could see his ugly face coming closer to me now, and I could smell the strong stench of alcohol on his breath as he neared me. Tears streaming down my face in fear, I squeezed my eyes shut and turned my face away. There was no helping it now – this is it then.

Just then, I heard the sudden rush of footsteps – before I knew it, the hold on my hands disappeared, and I was free. I opened my eyes, not sure of what was happening…

And that’s when I saw him.

That tall, lean build, and that dark hair that seemed so soft to the touch. And those mysteriously dark eyes…

And that face. I’d know that face anywhere.

Kwon Jiyong.

The most sought-after guy in our school. It was impossible not to know who he is…

Especially since I used to be attracted to him back in my first year of school.

The four bastards were ganging up on him, trying to grab hold of him somehow – but he seemed to be a strong fighter. He was so agile, leaping and kicking them off as they surrounded him. His hands moved so deftly, throwing punches with every turn. It wasn’t long before the bastards were cowering in his presence, beaten up and sprawled on the ground in pain.

I’ve never seen anyone fight with such grace before.

“Leave.”

The cowards crawled to their feet at his command, and ran as fast as they could.

I breathed a sigh of relief when they vanished – a fresh round of tears was beginning to prick my eyes. My hands were still trembling from the shock, and they didn’t seem to be able to stop no matter how much I tried.

Just then, something soft hit me in the face, then fell to the floor. I blinked, and picked it up. It was a jacket.

It was only then that I realized the state that I was in. The front of my shirt’s been ripped apart so badly that it left most of my upper body exposed. I frantically hugged the jacket to my chest, trying my best to retain whatever’s left of my pride.

I looked up, and saw that he was walking away.

“Th-thank you…” I whispered.

I’m not sure if he heard me.

I hope he did.

 

[Narration]

 

Dara whistled softly to herself, her eyes scanning the cafeteria quickly as throngs of students began to mill in. Her fingers tightened around the little paper bag that she was holding as a familiar face appeared – he was finally here. It’s been three days since that night, and for the past three days, she had been waiting by the cafeteria or at the front gate whenever she could, hoping that she would be able to catch a glimpse of him.

“I didn’t get to thank him properly that night,” She mumbled softly to herself as he came into full view, flanked by his two good friends, TOP and Seungri. “I need to let him know how much it meant to me.”

Her lips were pressed into a thin line as she tried to calm her nerves. She wasn’t usually this uptight! For goodness sake, she was crowned ‘Miss Popular’ two years in a row for a reason – she’s always been the sunny, sociable one! This shouldn’t be feeling so difficult…

But then again, it’s Kwon Jiyong. Who wouldn’t be nervous around him?

"Okay Dara, you can do it!” She nodded to herself as she inhaled deeply and grinned, her eyes sparkling with newfound confidence. “Go girl!”

Taking quick strides, she walked over to the table at the far end of the cafeteria – there never was a spoken rule, but somehow the whole student community shared a common understanding that this side of the cafeteria belonged to Jiyong and his friends. No one dared to cross their territory – well, apart from some really daring love sick girls who tried confessing to Jiyong. But nothing good ever came out of that, so the very sight of Sandara Park standing by their table was shocking enough to gain the attention of the entire cafeteria. As well as the three guys in front of her who were currently watching her intently.

Okay make that two guys – Kwon Jiyong himself didn’t seem to notice, or probably simply didn’t bother to notice her presence. He was just staring out the window, seemingly lost in his own world.

Clearing , Dara smiled widely and gently placed the paper bag on their table. “Hi, I’m Sandara Park. This is your jacket… I’ve washed it already so you can have it back. And I never got to tell you that night, but I’m really very thankful. Thank you.”

Ripples of noisy murmurs and gasps instantly began to flow through the cafeteria, but Dara was oblivious to it all. Her mind was too preoccupied by the aloof guy before her, who hasn’t yet responded to her words. His silence was beginning to make her nervous, but she shook it all away and kept the smile on her face.

“Ya, what night is the girl talking about?” A playful voice emerged from the table. It was Seungri, who was currently nudging Jiyong teasingly. “Are you hiding something from us Hyung?

Jiyong’s silence didn’t waver even in the face of his friend’s teasing. Dara exhaled – to be honest, his attitude was getting to her. She was trying to show her gratitude, but he didn’t even seem to be the slightest bit interested.

Seungri flashed a smile at her. “Don’t be upset, Hyung’s always like that.”

Dara smiled back at him – she liked this guy, he seemed pretty nice. Definitely nicer than Kwon Jiyong, who was still giving her the cold shoulder. She sighed a little to herself; he was still her life-saver after all, it wasn’t very nice of her to think badly of him like that. If not for him, she would have been…

She shook the thoughts out of her head furiously. She didn’t want to think about that night anymore – it might have been over, but it was still haunting her. It’s been three nights full of nightmares so far. Somehow, the fear that had filled her that night was something that she couldn’t seem to shake off.

Her eyes fell on the silent guy once again. Her heart gave a sudden jolt of gratitude as she watched him. Just a simple word of thanks could never be enough to express her gratitude…

“I KNOW!” Dara exclaimed, jumping excitedly on her tiptoes.

Seungri jumped at her sudden outburst and stared at the girl, wide-eyed. Even the cool and collected TOP looked up at Dara in interest.

With a wide smile on her face, Dara leaned closer to Jiyong, not caring that he wasn’t even looking at her. “You can tell me to do anything you want okay! I can buy food for you, do your homework for you –oh don’t worry, I always get good grades-, clean and cook for you… anything! I can’t even describe how grateful I am, so this is the best way I can think of.”

Rummaging through her bag for a pen, Dara picked up the paper bag and scribbled on it. “Here’s my number. Feel free to call me if you need anything!”

With another bright smile and a wave, Dara turned and walked away amidst the chatter and constant murmurs that were flitting through the cafeteria crowd.

“She’s an interesting one.” TOP glanced at the paper bag and smirked.

Seungri nodded, with a silly grin on his face. “I like her! She’s nice.”

Jiyong didn’t answer his friends. He simply kept his eyes on the window – he wasn’t looking at anything in particular, just… thinking. TOP and Seungri didn’t know that girl’s identity, and he didn’t intend to let them know. His two friends were just like him – they were also from the clan, also orphans who had been taken in by their godfather. The only difference was that they weren’t the ones who were groomed to take over the clan.

And he understood why.

Godfather’s decision to groom him as his successor came only after his older brother’s death. At first, Jiyong thought it was simply a formality to receive the responsibility, since the original successor was no longer alive. But as he grew up, he realized the truth behind godfather’s decision.

It was no formality.

It was because he became cold.

TOP and Seungri were good people, and in godfather’s eyes, that was their flaw. They lacked the anger, and had too much emotion in them. In contrast, Jiyong was cold, unfeeling and detached from everyone around him since his brother’s death. He lived in a world of his own; one that didn’t have the space for anyone to enter, not even his two best friends. And most importantly, he had a thirst for revenge. And that thirst gave him the strength and anger that was necessary in a leader.

So yes, he didn’t intend to tell them about the girl. He knew what they would say – ‘let it go already’, ‘revenge is exhausting’… words that he has had enough of all these years. As close as they may be, this was the one thing that set them apart. TOP and Seungri… they could never understand how badly Jiyong wanted to hunt down his brother’s killer.

After all, they don’t know how it feels to watch a loved one die before your very eyes.

 

*** *** ***

 

Yay I managed to get two chapters out in one night!

Haha sorry this chapter is rather long, hope it didn't get too draggy. I got carried away haha.

Hope you like it! :)