Under the Rain

Runningman Oneshot Story Collection (Not Accepting Requests - HIATUS)

It was 3:00 in the afternoon. Few people walked the street with the sun harshly beaming. It was almost summer and ice creams were being sold out on stores. Pools and beaches were packed, malls and parks had double the crowd and those who were too lazy endure the heat in their homes.

It was 3:30 in the afternoon when it suddenly got dark, making Ji hyo worried about the possibility of raining. It’s not even ten minutes yet that she’d been out of the house and rain pelted at her. Ji hyo ran to a nearby shed, dropping to sit on a bench. She only came out because of ice cream then she got greedy and wanted coffee. Now she is stuck in a shed without either coffee or the ice cream, waiting for the heavy rain to abate.

She checked her pockets in hopes that she miraculously brought her phone although she remembers well that it’s left charging at home. After double-checking her two pockets, the device was unfound. All she could do was wish that the rain would stop or by some twist of fate, a friend with an umbrella would pass by. She was just not ready to tackle the heavy rain and get sick, her manager would surely be mad at her.

It’s been 15 minutes and she was getting cold. She thought of risking it and running to her house, but something told her to stay. Although she was alone, it was actually not boring. Watching the rain fall seemed like some sort of magic. Things just looked so different under the rain. Then a familiar car approached, making her heart thump hard in her chest.

It can’t be… the rain’s making you see things Ji hyo-yah…

The car passed, splashing water all over her and her dryness, which she had protected so well, was no more. “Yah! You sick bastard! Are you in blind –” I must be dreaming, yeah right. it’s so hot that my brain is having delusions, I fell asleep and I’m dreaming. Right, this heavy rain isn’t possible. I’m at home and I am dreaming.

“Ji hyo… Ji hyo-yah… it’s really you, I’m really sorry.” Ji hyo wasn’t dreaming at all. It was really Jong kook’s car and now he was looking at her, worried and sorry. She walked closer to him as if in a trance, not minding the cold liquid drenching her.

Jong kook was happy to see her even if he didn’t expect her to be in that place. He tried to smile even though he was so worried that Ji hyo would get sick and it’s all his fault. By some magic spell, Ji hyo looked so dazzling to his eyes, but then, she had always been in his eyes. He didn’t know why, but under the rain, she looked so beautiful, just more than the usual.

She was walking to him until she was no more under the shed’s protection. Jong kook wanted to come out and put a coat or something to protect her from the rain, but he was frozen and enchanted. He only stared and hoped his smile was still on his face instead of a gaping mouth.

 “Jong kook oppa…” she said to the smiling man, Jong kook gulped and then she sneezed hard on his face.

 

-' ' ' ' '-

 

Ji hyo got inside Jong kook's car but she was dripping wet and she had already used up all his tissues. “I’m really sorry Ji hyo-yah… I was filming nearby and I thought I’d ask you to have some snacks but I can’t reach you so I was on the way to your place… did you bring your phone?” She shook her head and sneezed again.

 “Use my jacket, I used it already but it was just once. It’s still clean.”

“I am the one making a mess in your car oppa.”

“It was my fault anyway, I’m sorry.”

Ji hyo wore his jacket. It was the one he used in Running Man the other day. It smelled of Jong kook and she secretly took a deep breath inhaling the addicting scent. She turned to check if he saw her and she blushed a furious red when she found out that Jong kook was looking at her. He has a weird expression of amusement and surprise and something she couldn’t put into words. His lips were apart as if he wanted to say something. Ji hyo was positive he saw her sniffing his coat like a lunatic, and something inside of her died.

“Uh… your, umm oppa. Ah, I mean your perfume, it smells nice… a dongsaeng of mine… his birthday, I need to buy a gift.” She lied, while deep inside, she was melting into a poodle of embarrassment. Why am I acting like an idiot? It must be the rain… yes, it must be.

“Is that why you were out of your house?” he asked and Ji hyo quickly said yes, forgetting what she was wearing at that moment. Ji hyo lowered her head, cringing in embarrassment, when it hit her how she looked. She didn’t even have a purse. How could she lie that she was going shopping when all she wore was a simple shirt and cotton shorts with slippers? She was only supposed to go to a convenience store four blocks away from her apartment. Then it rained, so the poor rain was blamed again, the rain, which did nothing but to be present, when two souls fated together met.

Jong kook stifled a smile from spreading on his face. He knows Ji hyo enough to catch her lie. It was cute and adorable at the same time, and he rather liked that he was uncomfortable around him. He was glad he followed the little voice in his head and went there in her place that day, at that time. He was even thankful to the rain because if Ji hyo weren’t stranded in that place, he would’ve just stood in front of her apartment, staring at her unit from far away. Just like he always does.

Ji hyo wanted to hit herself in frustration. She was just sitting beside her Jong kook oppa so why was it so hard to just tell him the truth? Was it because he caught her sniffing his jacket? She could just have told him that he smelled nice, why was it so hard and awkward to say that? Now she couldn’t do anything but to go along with the lie.

 “Ji hyo,” his voice woke her up from her musings and she realized Jong kook had been waving his hand in front of her face. “Uh? Why oppa?”

“I’ll go and help you shop for that gift… where do we go now?”

“Umm I don’t really know where… I mean I don’t know where they sell that perfume you use. “She replied, totally going all out with her lie. She figured it wouldn’t be that bad and she could just give her brother that gift or take it home and smell it – Ji hyo! Just what were you thinking of?

 “Okay, I’ll take care of it Ji hyo-yah.” She thought it was only her imagination but Jong kook sounded glad, as if he was happy to be stuck there with her.

 

-' ' ' ' '-

 

“Oppa, are you sure this is okay? Am I really not disturbing you?” she asked while trying to dodge people, the hood of Jong kook’s jacket covering half her face. It was crowded in the mall that day and Ji hyo didn’t enjoy being squished by strangers but she couldn’t walk too close to Jong kook too. For some reasons, she felt as if a current passes through her whenever their bodies made contact and it was disturbing. Must be the rain… electricity flows in the water, right? It must be that…

The muscled man stopped and she bumped into his broad back making her catch her breath. “Are you okay?” Jong kook peered down on her and he raised the hoodie a little to look at her. Ji hyo could feel the blood rush to her face. She couldn’t explain it at all, Jong kook was different. He just felt so unlike the Jong kook she knows in Running Man.

Jong kook chuckled seeing Ji hyo act shyly around him. He can sense her embarrassment and it made him feel hopeful. Whatever her reason was to lie, he doesn’t mind it since he enjoyed being with her. He grabbed her hand, a plan forming in his head. “Come Ji hyo-yah… you can’t walk around like this or you’ll bump into posts.” Let me protect you Ji hyo-yah…

She doesn’t know why her heart suddenly thumped so hard she was afraid it would burst out of her chest or why she couldn't look at him directly. He was holding her hand tightly and she was worried that someone would recognize them. “Oppa, someone might see –”

“I am perfectly disguised. Don’t worry.” he said, lowering his cap and securing his shade.

Oppa still looked so handsome even when his face was half covered, Ji hyo thought but she was petrified at the things running inside her head, or the feelings running through her right there. She could feel so well his warm hand in hers and that little current was still there but it wasn’t a bad feeling at all. She felt so safe, so warm despite the crowd and the rain.

That rain and heat must have affected me so much… it must be the rain… yes, it must be…

 

-' ' ' ' '-

 

The pair found themselves in an exclusive boutique. The staffs seemed to know Jong kook and they rushed to serve him with a warm smile.

“Oppa, it seems like you bring a lot of women here. You looked good with Geun Young, even Ji min asked me about you. I can set you up with them and you can bring them here.” She teased, hoping he’d deny it. “Yup… I bring special women here… a lot of times.”

Ji hyo couldn’t believe what she heard. She never imagined Jong kook as the type who would do those things. Come on Ji hyo, did you actually believe that he is a man who would just stay and work out all the time?  She was a little bit disappointed or maybe greatly disappointed that he was able to see through her. He laughed seeing her shocked and he patted her head.

“Just joking Ji hyo-yah… actually I bring Soya and omma here a lot so the staffs know me. Now go and get fitted with something.”

“Why oppa? Do I look bad in my outfit?”

“Ji hyo… you look good in whatever you wear but I can’t let you get sick. You got wet a while ago so go get changed.” he explained and a woman escorted her to a private area.

 

 Ji hyo removed Jong kook’s jacket and the woman assisting her gasped.

“Ommo, I’m sorry… Song Ji hyo-ssi.” She was professional enough not to ask but Ji hyo knows the girl was dying to know if she was Jong kook’s girlfriend. It was obvious in the way she stole glances of her and Jong kook who was still outside and talking to a staff.

“I’m not oppa’s girlfriend. I just need some clothes and oppa took me here.” Ji hyo only got a nod from her and soon she was choosing from several caps, jeans, shirts and some accessories. Ji hyo tried one of the outfits in the fitting room. She checked herself and she looked the typical Ji hyo in Running Man.

“You look so pretty Song Ji hyo-ssi.” said the assistant and Ji hyo smiled to her then went out.

Jong kook was sitting in a corner and he didn’t say anything. He only looked at her but she couldn’t read him when he was wearing dark shades. It made Ji hyo feel ugly. Jong kook had never said she was pretty, not that she wanted him or required him to, but sometimes, she felt like he was a boy to him.

He might not have called you pretty but he had always made you feel like a woman Ji hyo… he would always protect you, never betray you unless he was a spy… he always had your back… and what about that one time he called you pretty – oh it was a mission… why am I thinking of this?!

Her thoughts chided her and she fought a hard internal battle. Logic tells her she is a woman to him but the woman in her want to hear it from him. It was childish but she couldn’t help it.

The assistant went to Jong kook and they talked for a while. Their voices weren’t loud enough for her to hear but she doesn’t care. She only wanted to go home.

 

“Song Ji hyo-ssi, I think Jong kook-ssi was really taken by you.”

“That’s not true… he won’t even smile or look at me properly.”

“Trust me ma’am, some men are like that. Why don’t you try this summer dress? It will match his outfit.”

“We are just here to buy something that would disguise me… but that is a pretty dress.” Ji hyo wasn’t able to do anything but try the dress and she was amazed at her own reflection. The assistant ushered her to the dresser, applied light make-up, and styled her hair.

“You are really good… can I hire you as my stylist?” The assistant politely declined but Ji hyo was very amazed by her skill. “But am I not too obvious? People could tell it’s me.” The girl gave her a chic hat and a dark glass. Ji hyo had transformed and she couldn't even recognize herself. She looked like a beautiful lady, elegant but casual.

“Now Ji hyo-ssi let me tell you that this was Jong kook-ssi’s idea but he said it’s a secret.”

“But why?” The assistant only winked at her.

 

Jong kook had to remind himself to breathe when Ji hyo went out of the fitting room. She walked slowly towards him and Jong kook thought it was the most beautiful catwalk he has ever seen. “You are… are you really Ji hyo?” he asked.

“Why oppa? Do I look weird?” Jong kook shook his head. He wanted to tell her she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen but all he did was stare at her. Tell her, tell her how beautiful she is… but those words only remained in his thoughts.

Jong kook paid for the clothes and they went out of the boutique. People stared at them and everyone thought they were a beautiful couple. Jong kook protectively stayed close to Ji hyo and later on, he found himself holding her hand. Neither of them minded it, in fact they both secretly liked it.

 

-' ' ' ' '-

 

“Oppa… when are we going to buy that perfume?” Ji hyo asked after they had spent more than an hour in the mall’s indoor aquarium. Ji hyo felt as if they were on a date but she didn’t dare ask. Dates are for lovers and they were just friends. Thinking of it made wish it really was a date but she couldn't admit that.

“Are you tired of me already?” he asked, his eyes looked sad and Ji hyo had the sudden urge to throw herself into his arms. The man was the most confusing thing that has ever happened to her. “No not at all… but I was really wondering.”

“What is it Ji hyo-yah?”

“Oppa… I don’t want to think of it… but I can’t help it. It’s so funny and embarrassing.”

“Tell me… I promise I won’t laugh or get mad.”

“Oppa… you… I saw you with Geun young and Ji min… it made me think that you are getting older and you probably need to date… find someone.” She stopped and checked his expression. She was scared to continue but she has already started and Jong kook wouldn’t let her cut it. “I know I am the only female and I was used to it already but… seeing you with them, I know it was just a show. But I didn’t like seeing you, with them… even if they’re my friends…” Ji hyo bit her lower lip. She wished she had just kept silent but it was too late. “And today oppa… this… it feels like a … date.”

“Ji hyo… I can’t understand.”

“I’m sorry oppa, I didn’t really mean that. I know many would want to marry you and I –”

“It’s okay... I do need to date or else my mom would drag me to blind dates. If this feels like a date to you… then can we just really call it… you know… a date?”

Jong kook looked at her, his eyes full of hope. She had not really noticed it before but Jong kook was really handsome. He made her feel like a woman even if he wouldn’t call her pretty, not that the other members treated her like a boy but with him, it was just different.

“About those episodes… you know that it was just Myuk Pd telling me to act like that, right? You were quite distant after it… that was why I was driving around your place. I can’t stand that feeling of you growing further from me… I thought I’d come to your apartment and just… just…”

“Oppa, do you like me?” she asked, surprising them both. Pabo! What if you just embarrass yourself? But he said date! Aissh Ji hyo, stop being a fool… it must be the rain making me like this… it really is the rain’s fault that everything’s happening so fast…

Ji hyo braced herself for his answer and she almost wanted to run away when Jong kook didn’t say anything.  Then Jong kook nodded and before Ji hyo could think of anything, he had encircled his arms around her.

“I do like you and if you’d let me, can this be our first date and then we’ll go out again the day after this and then next week and many more days until you fall for me. Then you’ll be my girlfriend and I’ll be really good to you… will you date me Cheon Seung Im?”

When a man tells you honestly that he likes you. When he makes your heart beat fast as if you had just finished a marathon. When he makes you blush everytime he is near, when you feel like you are going to explode whenever you two touch, even if it’s just your hands. When he acts so protective of you and he looks so jealous when someone else is beside you. When you suddenly realize those small things that made you so curious about him, losing sleep and thinking about him. When little acts that touched your heart suddenly felt like romantic acts that you craved but was so used to it that you didn’t see it before. When he wants to spend all his time with you… and never let you go and you don’t want to let go either, weren’t those reasons good enough to date him?

“Ji hyo? If you don’t feel the same way about me… I understand. I’m sorry but I hope we can still work together in Running Man. And… and I haven’t told you because I was… I was so mesmerized but you… really look so pretty in that dress –”

“Kim Jong kook-ssi… will you let me get drunk? Will you let me eat what I want and drink coffee? You won’t nag me to exercise or clean up and do things I don’t like?” Jong kook broke into a grin and he tightened his hug, not minding if people were already staring. “Of course Ji hyo-yah…”

“Then… what should we do next? This first date has to be really memorable and you only have 4 hours before you need to return me to my house.” Jong kook finally released her and he couldn’t contain his happiness that Ji hyo could feel it radiating from him. He looked so happy, so different and it was beautiful… she wondered how someone could like her like that.

 He really likes me… and it must not be just because of the rain... I must like this person too… I like him too…

 

-' ' ' ' '-

 

Jong kook brought her to a coffee shop and he ordered coffee. When their drinks arrived, Ji hyo chuckled at the hearts inside the mug. She was surprised to see that Jong kook also ordered coffee for himself.

She watched in amazement as Jong kook finished his drink. And he didn’t look like he was going to get sick or something even if she knows he detests it.

“Is this memorable enough Ji hyo? I haven’t drunk that stuff for 15 years.” Ji hyo raised her right thumb and approved of Jong kook making both of them laugh. Even if Jong kook didn’t do that, Ji hyo knows that their first date would always be memorable.

It must be because of the rain… yes, it must be or maybe because I like this man from the rain…

Why are you staring like that Ji hyo-yah?” he asked.

“Oppa, do you know secret garden?”

“Of course… you like that show a lot right?”

“Right… I had always liked this scene… let me make this day even more memorable…” Ji hyo stood up and leaned towards Jong kook, making the older one flustered. “Ji hyo—” She the foam off his lips then grinned. Jong kook almost dropped his cup and he was thankful they were in a booth and no one saw.

“Ji hyo-yah I –” She silenced him once more with her lips. Jong kook tasted of coffee but there was something more addicting to him than caffeine and she closed her eyes, drinking in his taste deeply. She felt him gently seek entrance to and he let her in, and it was magical. It was as if something between them exploded and it was just so right.

 He raised himself and they were kissing with a round table between them. But it didn’t matter, because they were floating in sensations they haven’t felt before. Then they stilled and stopped, unmoving, just feeling their soft, warm lips on each other’s. Jong kook didn’t dare move until Ji hyo finally sat down. His face felt so warm and he nervously gripped the armrest. He lowered his head and let out a sigh, Ji hyo had so much effect on her. He almost growled adjusting himself in his pants then he looked at her and she has foam on her lips, grinning and teasing him.

 

Outside the little coffee shop, the rain continued to pour. Everything looked so different under the rain. It felt different too. However, the two souls fated to meet that day knew, they knew that even after the rain… what they had found, it would always be beautiful.


This is in exchange for that request Aibhara... I tried to base in on Ep 114-115 but they were different episodes so it was hard... and you saif you liked behind the scenes anyway so here is a oneshot for you... and thanks to greenangel for the suggestions ^^

thanks for reading!