My Unnie

Not Again!
 • ~Flashback~
 
Tick Tock. Tick Tock. I sighed. Glancing at my watch, It was already five-fifty-two in the afternoon. School was over twenty-two minutes ago, but oppa still hasn't come out. I was standing at the front gate, tapping my shoes on the ground, as I waited for him.
 
"Where is he?" I asked aloud. It couldn't take long to say goodbye to his friends right? Or get his stuff from his locker, which is on the first floor. I waited for a little longer. No one was left at the school anymore, besides me and maybe oppa. It's getting dark, but the light from the fountain light up the front of the school. This going to sound strange and just plain ridiculous but, I was always dazzled by the beauty of that fountain. How the water shoots up while It change It's color because of the lights. I've seen many other fountains before, that is much more bigger and much more creative, but this is the most beautiful for me. I smiled as I watch  the shooting waters dance gracefully the air. It's really special for me, for most of my happiness started there, and also was my mom's.
 
Turning my attention to my watch, I made a face when I saw that It was already six o'clock. I sighed deeply again. 
 
Maybe he already went home. I my heel and started walking home. I can't believe he didn't wait for me.
 
I felt sad and hurt at the idea that he went home without me. He promised that he'll never go home without me, and he knows how I feel when someone breaks promises. But then, I remembered the memories of each and every day of my life. And each of those day's was always with him. How he was always protecting me. I felt guilty.
 
 
No, I can't blame him. And I shouldn't be. His been protecting me every day. I should let him relax and let him enjoy his life. Besides, maybe there was an emergency, maybe he~~~
 
Tap.Tap.Tap.
 
I stop walking. I heard foot steps behind me, and when I stop, It stop too. Fear swirled into me, a shiver climbed my spine. I became scared. Scared that whoever is behind me might be another one of those maniacs. My pulse beating wildly, I slowly turned my head. Waiting for what's coming to me. But then...
 
"Hey there,painter. Leaving without me?" That voice. That sweet,joyful voice. My head, along with my body turned completely. And I glowed in happiness as I look at the handsome male standing in front of me.
 
"OPPA!" I squealed. "I thought you already went home". He gave me a surprising/questioning look.
"Wuh? Me, go without you by my side? Never!". My cheeks reddened, I was so touched of what he said.
"R-really?" I asked, looking at him softly. He nodded.
"Nae! Why would I go home without you? I made a promise to aunty, to Suri noona, and especially, to you. I'll never leave you Yuri-ah! Never,ever,ever. Promise!" Then he gave me that beautiful and cheerful smile that any girl would just die for just to see. 
 
My lips quiver. Tears coming up. But I stayed in control. I can't believe I'm this lucky to have him. I took a step forward and wrapped my arms around him,and he did too. My head rested on his chest, I can smell the scent of his cologne. Hear his heart beat. He placed his chin on the top of my head, and I felt him smile. We stayed like that for a couple of minutes, then he pulled away, just enough to put an inch of space from us.
 
"So you ready to go home? Or go to the ice cream shop and then tell aunty that you and me had a project so that's why I brought you home late" He grinned. I couldn't stop myself from laughing about that.
"Your a bad influence, you know that?"
"I am? I never noticed" He landed his right arm on my shoulder, and I jumped a bit.
"You really should. I've been getting in a lot of trouble" I poked his stomach. I thought he as going to pout or do something cut, but I was wrong. He pulled my shoulder slowly while leaning closer to my face. He was so close, I can feel his breath.
"You like trouble" he grinned again, his voice turned quiet,slow,y, and seducing.
"N-no I don't" I choked. I flinched. And I turned crimson red. I never knew he has a side like this. A teasing side.
 
I guessed he meant to use that kind of voice just to see me turn red and shrink, because his expression was obviously satisfied. His face backed away, and he turned back to his old self. His cute, aegyo-maniac, smiley self.
 
"Then lets go to that shop and try not to go home that late so you cant get in any trouble. For now" we both laughed. We our heel, and started walking together. His arm still placed on my shoulder, I lightly blushed as we walk side by side and while we talked and laugh and just simply being with each other. Just me and him, together. 
 
~End~
 
 "I'll never leave you Yuri-ah! Never,ever,ever. Promise!" Those words echoed in my mind. Every time I remember those words of his, I become so hurt, It felt like I was gonna die. I never knew why, I always hated myself every time I become sad because of this memories. Why? Why would I feel sad If I know that It doesn't and will never matter? Why? I never knew the answer to this question of mine. I hope someday I can.   
 
"Yuri!" the voice of my unnie suddenly tore me from my thoughts.
I faced her, slightly surprised yet I didn't show It. "Nae?"
"Did you hear what I said?". Heard her? I didn't even noticed that she was just right there by my side. I was to busy remembering those stupid thoughts. How I wish It would just go away.
"Mianhae. But, no"
"Aish, I knew It. You just spaced out again"
"Sorry. Can you tell me again?"
 
She sighed, "Fine. I said what do you want for lunch? You do remember that were in the cafeteria?". I looked around, we were in the cafeteria. I didn't notice that too, but I don't want to tell her that, she'll know that something's wrong again and then we'll just go to another mushy talk that I always wanted to avoid, so I just nodded. Our cafeteria was like a buffet, were allowed by our own choice of combination of food that is served here. And now there serving bap, kalbi, tullbeoki, Kimchi, twigim, jiggae, and kimbap. 
 
"I'll just have sandwich and water" I reached out my hand to get one but unnie stopped me.
"What are you on a diet? Why only that?"
"I'm not hungry"
"Your always not hungry. Let's eat rice instead, nae?" She urged. I really was hungry, starving to be exact, but just not in the mood for now.
 
"Please! Eat rice with me" she clasped her hands together and turned her puppy eyes on me. Honestly, puppy eyes never work me. I just pretend It does.
 
This time, It was my turn to sigh. "Fine. But I'm only eating a few"
"Yey!" she hugged me quickly and started piling up her tray while I just took a small plate of bap, Kalbi and Kimchi, then we looked for available seat's. The cafeteria was jammed packed. It was filled of noises from clattering chopsticks and trays, and the chattering of all the students. All  high school classes, freshmen,juniors and seniors has all the same schedules for lunch, all eight hundred and fifty-three of us. But our cafeteria is really big, and half of the high schoolers are on the other building so there's a lot of space to move and little chances of bumping with each other.
 
Me and Suri unnie found a couple of seats at the middle and sat down. Unnie started eating while I just rested my head on my fist again and just poked my food. Stupid me! I just ruined my own appetite. Later on, I felt Suri unnie's eye's on me, as I look up, our eyes met.
 
"Is something wrong?" she asked, loosing the grip on her chopsticks. I sat up straight and shook my head.
"Is something bothering you?" she asked again while I continued shooking my head. 
"Are you sure?" 
 
I nodded. 
 
" You should eat something, even just a little. Maybe that will cheer you up"
"I'm alright" I said. I looked back at my food. But I can still sense that unnie was still staring at me. It felt weird and uncomfortable. She knows that I hate It when people stare at me, so she's using that to make me talk. I don't want to talk, I just want to be quiet for the rest of my life. But that won't help, so I stop playing with my food and picked up some Kimchi and put It In my mouth. Wow, that was good.
 
I saw her smile then went back to eating. We didn't say a word after that, we just kept eating our lunch.
 
I was glad that I took that bit of Kimchi, 'cause I wouldn't have started eating. My stomach was completely empty. The food tasted amazing even though It's taste never changed. I was so hungry that I wished I've gotten more. Then I just suddenly lost my appetite when, from the corner of my eye, I saw a tall, spiky-black haired guy with a slightly tan complexion and a flat face coming towards us. And behind him was a table full of guys high-fiving and grinning. I didn't bother to look up when he reached our table, but Suri unnie did.
 
" Hi my name is Jong Dong-sun. But you can just call me, oppa. And you are? Oh, wait. I already know who you are" He grinned. "Your Angel aren't you. And you came from heaven but then moved here into my heart" He even moved his hand over to his chest when he said that last part. Shees, talk about corny. And also this guy look's familiar, I just can't remember.
 
Still, I didn't bother to talk nor look at him straight, I just stayed in-focus on my delicious lunch. But unnie, she turned back to the mode I'd missed. The get-away-from my dongsaeng mode. She placed back her chopsticks on the table with a loud bang. So loud that flat-face jumped, and we earned a few glances from other tables. Especially the table from where this douche-bag came. She placed her elbows on the table and clasped her hands together, then she rested her chin on her hands. Looking at Dong-sun with a scary grin.
 
"Yeah, her name is Angel. How'd you know? She died a hundred years ago, and she flew up in heaven to find peace. But then, she came back here just so she can listen to some corny guy who looks like his face just hit the ground" She frowned, and held her gaze at him. While he just stood there looking so confused and scared. "What? No more lines? Oppa?" Her voice became a little more huskier, and her face turned really scary. Even I find It horrific sometimes. Now, he seems really frightened. He looked like that he was going to run,and I hope he will. But, un-lucky me, he kept his composure and managed to make a grin.
 
"Oh, I see what this is" he said arrogantly
"What?" unnie asked.
"I feel a little jelly coming out from you". Then silence. My chopsticks even stopped in front of my mouth.Clearly he hasn't heard of unnie yet.
"Isn't that the truth, cupcake? No need to hide It. Just tell me, and I'll be with you". Unnie laughed wildly. I wanted too, but I just closed my eyes and continued my eating. Ohmygod! What a complete douche-bag!.
 
"What? What the hell is so funny?" Flat-face stared at us, looking pissed.
"You" I said quietly.
"Huh?".
 
Meanwhile, unnie tried so hard to stop laughing. Students looked at her like she was crazy, and their kinda right. And flat-face just looked so confused. "What are you laughing at? Wait, I get It now. You do like me, and your just hiding It by laugh~" he never had the chance to continue, 'cause unnie suddenly stood up and banged her hands on the table. Flat-face, including his pals, jumped and he backed away a bit. Unnie's action made the whole cafeteria almost quiet, and many students faced us, whispering and pointing to our table. But I for one didn't flinched a bit, I know everything that unnie does to scare away guy's like this. I just kept eating and eating like nothing's happening. 
 
"Look" she glared him, completely standing up to her full height, which is a hundred and seventy-eight centimeters, tall isn't she? While I just stand at a hundred and seventy-six.
 
"I don't want to make a scene or anything, so stay away from me and especially, especially, my dongsaeng. Or else, angel boy, I'm going to pluck those little wings of your's and burn them along with you"
"Don't want to burst your bubble, cupcake, but I have no wings"
"No kiddin'. Only two logs on your head" I in.
 
But unnie only smirk and said, "Clearly you've forgotten what happened on the fourth grade. You know, the week before graduation?". And just like that, he slowly kept backing away from us. He was shaking and was even sweating.
"F-fourth grade? Y-you don't mean that, that was you? The Kicker?". 
"What'd you think?" she tilted her chin up, and started walking out of the table. 
"Jesus! That was the day I thought I was going to die... You, how, how did you even get in here?"
"Simple. I have talent" she grinned, walking towards him.
 
I finished up my lunch and drank my water, then I stood up as well. I glanced at the flat-face and unnie, flat-guy over there was sweating like a pig while his back was leaning over their table. And his pal's were also looking scared. While unnie was leaning over at him, her hands clasped behind her back. The scene was so hilarious! But I just cant start laughing here wildly, so I just kept my composure and walked towards them.
 
"Unnie" I tapped her shoulder.
"Hmm?"
"I'm done eating. Want to go back?" I wasn't even paying attention to the trembling guys in front of me. I just don't care for them.
"What time is it?"
"Almost one o'clock"
"Your not even going to stop this freak?" butted in one of the spiky guys. I looked at them coldly and said, "Were talking" then I place a finger on my lip and turned back to unnie.
" Okay, let's go. Let me just say goodbye to them" then she turned back to them.
"So, don't ever forget my warning to you, nae? To all of you" she patted flat-guy's head, and gave him a smile. "This was fun. Let's do this again someday, okay?"
 
She straightened up, and we walked away. Leaving the spiky-gang fanning their fainted Dong-Sun.
 
•  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  
 
 
We passed a friendly battle of dancing third year graders as we walked up at the stairs. "JJ Project's Bounce" is playing every where and at the school ground were some students singing along with the song "Heaven" by "Ailee".
 
We reached our floor and listened to the cheerful song change into a ballad, "2Pm's, Like a Movie"
 
"Unnie" I said.
"Nae?" she looked at me.
"Thank you". She smiled.
"No need to thank me. That douche-bag deserved It" she giggled and I chuckled a bit too.
"Still, thanks~ By the way, you looked a little angrier than I expected. Was there something personal about that?". She gave me a questioning look, then produced a cheerful smile.
"You really don't remember do you?"
"Remember what?"
"Fourth grade? The week before graduation? The day I got the nick name "The Kick"? Nothing rings a bell? Even that Dong-sun? You don't remember?"
 
I kept thinking and thinking, but nothing came in mind. So I just shook my head.
 
"Okay. As I said It was the weeks before graduation at our school"
"Nae, In Kyonggi elementary school''
"Uh-huh. And, remember, one of our classmates is Dong-sun". My eyes widened, I didn't know that.
"What?!"
"It's true, he was one of our classmates. He was the one who kept pulling girl's skirts just to see our under wear"
"You mean Dang-gi?" Dang-gi (pull in Korean), he was the noisy little kid who always pulls girls skirts just for fun. I always hated that kid. I never knew his real name, just his nick name. Now I know, and he turned out to be much worse than we were little.
 
"Yup! Dang-gi was what we called him. Any way, that whole month, he was always targeting you and just kept embarrassing you. Just five more days before graduation, we were practicing on the stage and our parents and some outsiders where watching us, when he suddenly pulled your skirt, revealing your underwear to so many people. And,well, you were so embarrassed that you ran to our room and couldn't stop crying in the bathroom. And he didn't even apologize he just laughed at you and teased you how ugly your were. So, I just snapped. While you were still at the room and  we had our break, I invited everyone to play kickball with me, and Dong-sun joined. We teamed up, boys versus girls and I waited so long to have the chance to get close to him. Finally, when he got the ball I'm the one who started running towards him, pretending to get the ball, then I lifted my foot and~" she grinned and kicked her right foot up like she's replying the scene of what happened, "~kicked his balls!" She satrted laughing again while I just stood there staring at her.
 
"You what?!" I never heard of this story before, I was so surprised that she did that.
"Yup! I kicked him In the balls so hard I almost thought I heard a crack" My eyes widened more, I didn't know what to say. But, I was even so surprise that I actually liked what happened.
"Then what happened?"
"Uhm, let's see. Well, he fell to his knees and I did too. And I pretended to say sorry, but what I actually did was lean over to his ear and whispered that If he did that to you or any other girl again, there will always be a payback, and that was It"
"Ommo. Unnie, you didn't get scolded did you?". She shook her head.
"Nope. The principal, and parents only thought of It as an accident. So no time-out or scolding for me. His parents even scolded Dong-sun about what he did to you and said  that It was karma that got to him. But the greatest news of all was that he stopped and I got a place at the soccer team the next year" she giggled.
"You were the strongest kicker on that team"
"Thus, having the nickname "The Kicker" for me" again, another giggle.
"And that was the reason when graduation came, he was walking like duck?"
"Yup!" she gave me a thumbs up.
"Why haven't I heard of this before?"
"Oh! That's right! The reason you don't remember was that I never told you" she smiled and scratched her cheek, that's always the sign that means she's embarrassed. "Sorry"
 
I looked at her. I looked at my unnie, who, ever since we were only so little was always protecting me. She would sacrifice herself just to make me safe and be happy. She would do anything just for me. Anything even her own life was in-danger. And, this is only the time I realized It. 
 
"Yuri?" she was looking at me. I took a step forward and hugged her. She tensed at first, because she knows that I'm not the hugging type. 
"Thank you. Thank you unnie" I said, tears almost spilling up. I felt her caressed my hair, and smile against my scalp.
"Your welcome, dongsaeng. Anything for you" we stayed that way for a while. She really is my unnie, and I loved her for that.
 
" C'mon. Let's go. I know you hate this" with that we separated, and I saw her smiling beautifully at me.
"Okay" I smiled too. And we continued to go to our room. While talking about how hilarious Dong-sun's face was when she told her she was "The Kicker" and how a douche-bag he was.
 
 
We were almost at the door when her phone suddenlyrang. When she looked at her phone, a huge smile form into her lips. She looked at me, her eyes were twinkling with joy.
"Wae?" I asked.
I need to take this. Can you wait for me?". I nodded. She turned around and answered the phone. I tried not to listen, but, she was only a foot away from me.
 
"Yeboseyo?" she waited for the other line to answer. "Yup. I'm doing well, You?"
"You are?!" she started squealing and jumping In place "Ommo! Oppa! That's amazing!" Pft. Oppa, my most hated word.
"Their going too?! WOW! Oppa, hurry up!.... Sure, no problem, I'll be handling all the paperworks... Okay, tell the others I miss them, annyeong oppa! Love you, bye!". She hang up, turned back to me and was looking so excited and happy.
 
"Who was that?" I asked
"No one" she placed back her phone into her pocket.
"No one? Sound special to me" I said and we went inside our room. 
"It was my cousin. Favorite cousin to be exact".
"A guy cousin?"
"Yup!"
"Why'd you seem so happy?"
She placed a finger on her lips. "Secret"
"Wae?" we found our seats and sat down.
"You'll find out soon" she winked.
 
And a couple of minutes later, class started.
 
 
•  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  
 
 
When school ended, me and unnie went to the office first before going. She said that she was going to talk to the principal, I didn't mind, but the only thing that concerns me was those transfer papers she was holding. We were almsost at the office, which was In the back of the school near the teacher lounge, and I couldn't hold It anymore so I just asked.
 
"Unnie. Are you going to transfer?" my pulse was beating crazily. I didn't want her to transfer, or leave me.
"No babo. Why would I transfer? And why on earth will I leave you behind?". I relaxed, my questions were answered perfectly.
 
"So why do you have those transfer paper works?"
She glanced at the papers, "That's because someone will be transferring here", she looked back at me.
"Someone? But why are there six pieces?"
 
"Well, six will be transferring" she winked at me.
"Six? Who are they?" she opened the office door and said "That Yuri,is another secret". She gave me a grin and we both entered the office.