School Play

The Bubble Tea Store

 

It didn’t take long for Jieun to reach the top of the social ladder. She was highly regarded by teachers because of the level of intelligence she showed in class. However, one class that she managed to fail horribly at was gym. Today we were going to learn how to play volleyball.

I watched as Jieun attempted to untangle the large net and attach it to the poles. She tiptoed and tried to reach the top as best as she could but her height failed her. Just then, Sehun walked up to her to offer some help.

“Let me get that for you,” Sehun grabbed the net and effortlessly tied it up.

“Why couldn’t it be basketball today?” Jieun sighed.

“You’d at that sport too,” Sehun laughed.

“Hyemi, help,” I heard Kai huff behind the heavy stack of boxes he was carrying. I quickly grabbed the box that was hiding his face.

“Didn’t want to make two trips, huh?” I asked as I put it down and took another box from him.

“This is my third trip!” Kai said as he carefully placed the equipments down. “Sehun was supposed to help me! He just disappeared.”

“He’s helping Jieun instead of you,” I informed.

Kai shook his head, “Rude.”

“Look at him trying to be a gentleman,” I clicked my tongue as I watched him make fun of her.

The sound of a whistle echoed in the gym. Our gym teacher went over the rules of volleyball before we began a game.

“Okay, Jieun. You serve,” our coach said as he tossed the ball over to her.

Jieun looked nervous, eyeing the ball like it was the first time she ever saw one. By now, everyone knew that she wasn’t the best at playing sports.

Jieun shook off her nerves and served the ball clumsily. Everyone was stunned when they witnessed the ball fly straight to Kai's head, creating a loud thoud as it bounced off. She immediately gasp and cupped in shock.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry, Kai!" she quickly apologised. We all tried to hold in our laughter.

"It's okay. You're just warming up," Kai brushed it off as he reached down for the ball and passed it back to her.

Embarrassed, Jieun looked at our coach with pleading eyes, hoping he’d choose someone else to serve.

"Go on. Try again," our coach encouraged her.

She hesitated to do another serve but seeing that she had no choice, she clumsily tossed the ball in the air for the second time and hit it. Once again, the ball smacked the same spot on the back of Kai's head. Jieun let out another gasp and Kai stood there in shock.

"I'm so sorry, Kai!" Jieun apologised again. A wave of laughter echoed in the gym.

Kai faced our coach, "I'd like to switch teams."

Chuckling, Sehun picked the ball up and returned it to Jieun, "Third time's a charm."

Kai glared at Jieun before she attempted another serve. He stayed rooted to his spot, not fearing being hit by the ball a third time. In fact, he waited in anticipation for the ball to smack his head again, having no confidence in Jieun's volleyball skills. However, she proved us all wrong when the ball flew over the net and onto our side of the court. The game finally started.

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

After changing out of my gym clothes, I closed my locker and walked out of the girls’ locker room. I spotted Baekhyun standing in front of the Drama room handing out flyers while Sehun stood next to him, examining the piece of paper. Curious, I walked up to them.

“Hey, Baekhyun. What do you have there?” I asked.

“We’re doing a school play and everyone’s invited to audition,” he said.

“Oh, what’s the play?”

“Romeo and Juliet.”

I gasped, “I love that play!”

“Are you thinking of auditioning, Hyemi?” Sehun ask me.

“I don’t know. I’m not really good at acting,” I frowned.

Baekhyun nodded, “Yeah, you’re really not.”

I gave him a glare.

“You guys should write your names down if you’re interested,” Baekhyun pointed at the audition sign-up sheet pinned on the wall.

I observed the list and noticed Jieun’s name already written.

“Hyemi, you should sign up,” Sehun encouraged. “That way I can be your Romeo.”

“You’re going to audition?” I asked him in surprise.

“Only if you do.”

I pondered for a moment. Considering that this was my favourite play it wouldn’t hurt to participate.

“Okay!” I grinned.

“Auditions will be held tomorrow and you’ll find out which part you got the day after,” Baekhyun informed.

“What’s going on here?” Kai popped out of nowhere. He took a sip of his chocolate frappuccino.

“Just the school play. Where did you get that drink from?” I asked.

“Jieun made it for me as an apology for bruising my head,” he replied.

“That Jieun girl is hot,” Baekhyun said. The boys nodded in agreement.

“Did you know a seal can play volleyball better than her?” Kai quipped.

Jieun is going to be dropping by my store after school to work on our pair's assignment that got assigned to us this morning.

“I’d appreciate it if you guys left me and Jieun alone today,” I told them.

“Hyemi, you know we never listen to you,” Kai responded.

The bell rang and school finished.

I headed straight to my store and climbed upstairs to get ready for my study session with Jieun. Fifteen minutes passed and she still hasn’t shown up. Not wanting to waste time, I grabbed a pen and began working on the assignment alone.

An hour passed and Jieun still wasn’t here.

Impatient, I went downstairs to make myself a drink. When Sehun saw me, he walked over and sat on the stool by the counter.

“How’s the assignment going?” he asked.

“Not so well. Jieun is a no-show,” I replied as I began pouring milk in a cup.

“Really? That’s odd,” Sehun looked confused. “I remember her telling me she was going to be here.”

“Yeah, that’s what I thought too.”

“Does that mean you’re done studying?” he asked. I finished making my drink and took out a straw.

“Yeah. I think I’m just going to relax upstairs before I start work,” I replied.

“Oh, good. I need some relaxing too,” Sehun stood up and quickly started to make his way upstairs.

“Sehun! I meant alone!” I shouted as I followed him.

He grabbed the remote and turned the tv on before getting comfortable on the couch.

“I haven’t relaxed up here in a while,” he said.

“You were here this morning before school!” I said matter-of-factly.

Sehun flipped through all the channels but couldn’t find a decent show to watch. I took a seat next to him as I drank my bubble tea.

“Let’s put a movie on,” he suggested.

“I can’t. I have to work soon,” I answered.

“Who said anything about watching it though,” Sehun had a smirk playing on his lips.

I stood up, “Actually, I think I’ll start my shift now.”

“I’m kidding!”

I placed a hand on my hip, “You know, you’ve been doing a good job distracting me lately. You need to stop that.”

“Make me,” Sehun challenged.

“From now on I won’t give you any attention.”

“Then start tomorrow,” he pulled me down next to him and placed an arm around my shoulder.

With that, Sehun played a random movie which neither of us bothered to watch...

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

The auditions concluded and as much as I wanted to say that the part for Juliet would be mine, I couldn’t. I didn’t realize how many students at school were great performers. I would be lucky enough to even be considered for the part.

The following day, the list was posted and the actors for the school play were announced.

“Wow, I can’t believe I actually got the part for Romeo,” Sehun’s eyes widened in awe as he saw his name in bold letters.

“And I’ll be your understudy!” Kai excitedly said, hi-fiving Sehun.

I looked for my name and just as I suspected, I didn't get the part for Juliet.

“Well done, Jieun!” the girls surrounded Jieun and cheered for her. “Congrats on getting the part for Juliet!”

Overwhelmed by all of the attention, Jieun shyly thanked the girls. She then made her way over to me.

“Great job, Jieun!” I praised her wholeheartedly.

“Thanks, Hyemi,” she grinned. “Listen. I’m sorry for not showing up the other day to work on our assignment.”

“Oh, that’s okay. Don’t worry about it,” I brushed it off.

“The café has been so busy these past couple of days that my dad wanted me to take up extra shifts,” she explained.

It must be nice to have a busy business and constantly have customers.

“I wish I understood what that was like,” I joked, making Jieun chuckle.

“If you’re not busy today we can do the assignment at the café,” she offered.

“Yeah, sure,” I agreed.

“By the way, good job becoming an understudy,” Jieun said.

Although I didn’t get the main role I managed to be an understudy for Jieun as Juliet.

After school, I met Jieun at the café. She was sweet enough to have an iced coffee ready for me when I arrived.

For the next couple of hours all we did was work on the assignment. But after a while, I grew restless. I put my pen down and rested my back on the chair. The table we sat at was positioned in a way that Jieun was sitting across from me and I was facing my store.

I perked up when I saw Sehun across the street making his way to the store. Through the glass windows I noticed him go upstairs. I knew Exo-K was already there after I saw them go in an hour ago.

“Before I forget,” Jieun spoke up and reached for something inside her bag, “Here’s a copy of the script for the play.”

I flipped through the pages and looked at some lines. Despite not actually being in the play I was still very much interested in it.

“This school play is going to be a lot of fun,” Jieun expressed her excitement. “I can’t wait to start rehearsing.”

“I bet Sehun is just as excited,” I said.

“Sehun couldn’t have been more perfect for the role,” she replied.

At that moment, Sehun came into view as he stepped out on the balcony. He took out his phone and leaned on the railing, unaware that I was sitting here. Without thinking, I grabbed my phone and looked at it. My screen suddenly flashed when I received a text message from him, asking where I was.

How predictable.

“Hey, Hyemi,” Jieun called for my attention.

“Yeah?” I replied without looking away from my phone.

“Do you think I'm Sehun’s type?"

My fingers stopped typing. My eyes immediately looked up at her.

“What?” I asked.

“Do you think Sehun would like me?”

My brows furrowed at her question, “Why do you ask?”

“Just wondering,” she shrugged.

I secretly turned my attention to Sehun. He has now noticed me. His arms were crossed and were casually resting on the railing as he watched us.

I looked back at Jieun, “No, really. Why do you ask?”

“I just think he’s an interesting guy,” Jieun responded nonchalantly.

“Yeah, he is I guess,” I nodded slowly.

“He’s not seeing anyone at the moment, is he?”

I was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with the questions she was asking about him.

“Not that I know of,” I answered. She nodded without a reply and continued looking at the script.

I just stared at her, not wanting to accept where this conversation was really going.

“Jieun,” I began, hesitating to ask, "Do you…like Sehun?"

Her cheeks turned to a light shade of pink. "Yeah. I do."

I was at a loss for words. I felt my stomach tie in a knot.

“O-Oh…” I didn’t know how to reply.

The idea of them being together made me feel uneasy. The thought of Sehun giving another girl attention didn't sit well with me at all.

"That's not a problem, is it?" Jieun asked when she noticed the startled look on my face.

"N-Not at all!" I managed to choke out.

"I hope that by the end of this school play Sehun and I will become real lovers."

I looked at her with a fake smile, trying to hide my displeasure.

I hated the sound of that idea.