Chapter Three

Orphan Hut

Dongwoo grinned as he stuck his head into the kitchen. No one was inside, so he turned to his best friend, Hoya, and waved him over. The two of them tiptoed into the kitchen, grinning mischievously. Hoya ran over to the cupboard and dug through it, finding the red cylinder he was looking for. Smiling widely, he tossed it to Dongwoo, who caught it smoothly.

 

“Nice catch, hyung,” Hoya whispered as they moved on to the huge pot, boiling some kind of brown substance that was supposed to be soup. “It looks like poison. I think the orphanage is trying to kill us.”

 

Dongwoo nodded his head in agreement as he unscrewed the lid on the cylinder. He poured the red powder that was inside into the pot, making sure nothing was left in the cylinder. Hoya grabbed the wooden spoon and started stirring.

 

“That's why you add in some cinnamon to give it some flavor,” Dongwoo stated, picking up a spoon and scooping up some of the 'soup' and pointing the spoon in Hoya's face. “You lost the best, so you have to eat this.”

 

“Wait, what bet?” Hoya asked, startled. He looked at the older boy with wide eyes. Dongwoo rolled his eyes and face palmed himself, causing the younger boy to be even more confused.

 

“Remember? We bet on who would finish the big jawbreakers first. Sandeul was my vote and

your's was Baro. Sandeul won. He finished it this morning. Baro still has his. So, I won. Since you lost, you have to eat this,” Dongwoo stated, pushing the spoon into the boy's mouth.

 

Hoya pouted, letting Dongwoo feed him the death trap. “If I die, I'll haunt you for the rest of your lonely life,” Hoya told him. He coughed after swallowing the soup. He couldn't stop coughing, so he ran to the sink and spit into it. “That's horrible!”

 

“Who's in here?” a voice cried. The two boys looked at each other and ducked behind the small island in the kitchen. They watched as the orphanage's chef walked in, searching around the kitchen. Dongwoo pulled Hoya's sleeve and they quietly escaped out the back door. Hoya felt someone grab the back of his shirt, but Dongwoo pulled him away and they ran all the way to their shared room.

 

Once they were closed in the room, they collapsed onto the floor, breathing heavily. “That was so close,” Dongwoo breathed, looking at Hoya. “Are you okay? They almost got you!” Hoya smiled and nodded.

 

“Thanks for saving me, hyung,” Hoya told him. Dongwoo smiled and hugged him, just as the door burst open. The owner of the orphanage, Jung Yunho, came walking in. He glared at the two boys, who broke away from their hug.

 

“Why aren't you outside with the rest of the kids?” he asked them. The two looked at each other, but didn't answer. “Why were you in the kitchen?”

 

Still no answer, so Yunho took the two of them and pulled them out of the room. He set them inside their social worker's office and walked out of the room. The two avoided eye contact with each other and stared at the floor. After a few minutes, another man, Shim Changmin, walked in.

 

“Stand up,” the social worker ordered, who glared at the boys who were already sitting. They boys nodded and shot up, bowing to him. “You guys cause too much trouble. Explain to me why this was by the soup.” Changmin held up the empty cinnamon container, frowning when the boys made no response. “Hoya, we're transferring you to Tokyo, Japan tomorrow. Dongwoo, you're going to New York. It's time to separate you two.”

 

“But if you separate us, what will you do? You're a social worker to both of us. And Sandeul and Baro,” Dongwoo stated, staring at Changmin.

 

“Yunho is bringing two people who have been waiting to get a job as social workers. This is the perfect case for just them.”

 

“How long were you planning on transferring us?”

 

“For a few weeks now. Luckily, they arrived today.”

 

“This is like the tenth time you transferred us! What are we? Pieces of candy you can just throw away anytime you wish?” Hoya exploded, stepping up to him. Dongwoo grabbed his hand to calm him down. Before Changmin could continue, Yunho walked in with two other men. The two boys bowed respectively, yet the glare was still evident on their faces.

 

“Boys, this is Kim Junsu and Park Yoochun. They'll be your new social workers,” Yunho told them. He then turned to the two said men. “Yoochun, you'll be assigned to Dongwoo. You're leaving tomorrow for New York. Junsu, you'll be with Hoya. You'll go to Tokyo tomorrow.”

 

“Don't separate me and Hoya, please!” Dongwoo cried, tears forming in his eyes. Dongwoo and Hoya grew up together. Their parents were childhood friends. The two of them have never been separated and did everything together. Hoya was pretty much his younger brother. “Please don't take Hoya away from me.” Dongwoo dropped to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks.

 

“Don't worry, Dongwoo. I'll make sure to take really good care of Hoya,” Junsu said, crouching down next to the boy and placing his hands on his shoulders.

 

“I can't live with out Hoya. Don't let him leave me,” Dongwoo told him. “He's very fragile and shy. He needs me to keep him support and company. Never ever, since he was born, have we been apart. I promised his father I would keep Hoya safe. We can't separate.”

 

Junsu pulled the boy into a hug, his hair. “I'm sorry, Dongwoo. I'm really sorry. I'll make sure to keep him safe.” Dongwoo shook his head and pulled away from him.

 

“No no no! That's not good enough! I need to stay by Hoya's side. Forever. He only has me!” Junsu sighed and stood up, looking at the other men. Hoya took Junsu's place, pulling the older into a hug.

 

“Okay, go pack. You two don't get to eat tonight, since you ruined tonight's dinner,” Yunho said. The two boys stayed in their position, not caring about anything but each other.

 

Yoochun walked over to them, setting his hands on their shoulders. “Let's go, boys. I'll help you,” he told them, helping the two boys up. They quietly followed him out of the office, muttering the directions to their room. When they arrived inside, Junsu popped up behind them and closed the door. “Look, boys...”

 

Dongwoo turned away and plopped down on the bed, burrying his face in his pillow. “Please don't separate us,” he mumbled into the pile of pillows on his bed.

 

“How close are you two?” Junsu asked, sitting on the edge of Dongwoo's bed. Yoochun stood in the corner with his arms crossed.

 

“Our parents were childhood friends. They died when I was 5, so Hoya was 4. From what I heard, they died in a plane accident while flying back to Korea from China. That was four years ago. When I was 3, I promised Hoya's dad that I would always be by Hoya's side and I would protect him, no matter what happened. I can't be separated from him. It would mean disowning his father. I can't do that,” Dongwoo cried.

 

Junsu sighed and patted Dongwoo's back. Everyone was lost for words as the two boys grieved over leaving each other. “A-are you crying, Junsu?” Yoochun asked, joining Hoya on his bed. Dongwoo flipped around to see the older man in tears.

 

“Yes, hyung, I am. I feel so bad for them,” Junsu replied. He then reached over and pulled Dongwoo into a hug. “I wish there was something I could do.”

 

“But there is,” Yoochun told him.

 

Everyone looked up at him with shook and excitement. Yoochun grinned and pulled Hoya up. The two of them joined Dongwoo and Junsu in a tight circle on Dongwoo's bed. “this will be REALLY risky, but since we're now your social workers, we can do what we choose to do. Changmin's being really harsh on the two of you.”

 

“Hyung, this better not be another one of your crazy ideas. We better not get in trouble,” Junsu told him. At the word 'trouble', Dongwoo and Hoya suddenly perked up. They wondered what Yoochun could be planning.

 

“Junsu, trouble is my middle name. Besides, you should be glad crazy Jaejoong hyung isn't here. Who knows what he would think up,” Yoochun stated, looking at Junsu.

 

“Your ideas are worse than his. Aish, why do I have such crazy hyungs?”

 

“Well, anyway, you two want to stay together, right?” The man Hoya and Dongwoo, who was now listening carefully to the conversation going on between the two of them.

Dongwoo looked at the man and nodded.

 

“I do,” he answered. “We do. Forever. That's all I want.”

 

“And you'll protect Hoya with everything you have?” Dongwoo nodded his head, repeatedly. “Okay. Here's what you'll do. You two have to be REALLY careful. I mean it. You can't get caught. This is the only chance we have of keeping the two of you together,” Yoochun told them.

 

“Hyung, what are you planning? This better not be dangerous.”

 

“It's very dangerous.”

 

“Hyung~”

 

“No no, don't worry. I trust these boys. They're really capable, I think.”

 

“What do we have to do, Yoochun sshi?” Hoya asked, bouncing on the bed while clinging on to Dongwoo's hand. Dongwoo could tell he was excited, which made him happy.

 

“You can just call me hyung, Hoya. You too, Dongwoo,” Yoochun stated. The two nodded but kept staring at him, waiting for him to continue talking. “You guys need to make sure not to get caught. I can't stress this enough. It's very risky. Don't. Get. Caught.”

 

“We won't, hyung. I'll do anything to make sure we don't get caught.”

 

“Okay, good. Now, there's the cruise ship that is going to Australia tomorrow... We'll sneak you on in the morning. We'll then meet you on the beach in Australia where this thing lands. After we

get you on, everything's up to you two.”

 

“Oh, okay. I got it! Cool!” Hoya cried, continuing his bouncing. Dongwoo grinned and joined in, tightening his hold on Hoya's hand. Seconds later, the door opened and their other roommates, Sandeul and Baro, walked in, followed by their three best friends.

 

“We'll see you tomorrow morning. Remember to pack everything. We don't want Yunho to have any trouble,” Yoochun told them as he and Junsu left the room.

 

“Who are they?” Baro asked as soon as they were gone. “Are you two leaving?”

 

“Yeah,” Dongwoo answered as they got off the bed, walking over to their cupboards. “They're our new social workers, we're being transferred tomorrow.”

 

“Are you going together? Why aren't me and Sandeul going? We've been together since the four of us entered the orphanage four years ago!”

 

“Nope. Hoya's going to Japan. I'm going to America. You two are staying with Changmin here in Seoul.”

 

“What?! You guys are being sent to separate places?!” their friend, Dongwoo (known as CNU because he doesn't want to be mixed up with Dongwoo), cried.

 

“But you two have always been together!” their friend, Jinyoung, added.

 

“Why are they separating you?” Sandeul asked. Hoya and Dongwoo stayed quiet as they started packing everything up. They couldn't tell the two their news, so they kept as quiet as they could.

 

“Why weren't you at dinner, hyungs?” the last boy, Gongchan, asked. The two continued to keep quiet, so the other five left the room.

 

The two looked at each other and smiled, hugging each other. “We get to stay together, hyung!” Hoya whispered into Dongwoo's ear. The older boy nodded happily as they broke apart. They got into their own beds and fell asleep shortly after.



 

“Dongwoo, Hoya, get up,” a voice said into the dark room. Dongwoo yawned and slowly sat up, looking at the tall figure standing between his and Hoya's bed. “We need to go.”

 

“But it's too early,” Hoya whined, rubbing his eyes.

 

“That's the point.” It was Yoochun speaking. The two of them stood up and walked over to their luggage. The boys picked up their backpacks and Yoochun grabbed their suitcases. “Junsu and I will keep these with us.”

 

“Okay,” the boys answered, following the man out of the room. When they made it outside, they found a black car waiting outside. It was still dark. The back door opened, revealing Junsu.

 

“Come on, get in,” Junsu told them. The two nodded and jumped in, finding a man in the front.

 

“Jaejoong,” Yoochun stated, getting in on the passanger's side. “Thanks for helping us.”

 

“I love a bit of adventure,” the man answered. He reached down by Yoochun's feet and grabbed two, large, clear backpacks. He handed them to Hoya and Dongwoo. “There's six meals and four containers of snacks in there for you two. You'll be in the boat for a day and a half, so it's more than enough. Also, there's six water bottles each. Use them wisely.”

 

“Yes sir!” the boys said together. Yoochun took their backpacks so they could replace it with the food. Junsu then handed them some red been-paste pastries for breakfast. The boys grinned and took them happily.

 

“Kamsahamnida!” Dongwoo cried.

 

The three older men watched as they drove off towards the docks. After two hours of driving, they arrived, and Dongwoo had to shake Hoya awake. The younger boy had fallen asleep on his lap. “Howon-ah, it's time to go,” Dongwoo told him. The younger boy sat up, rubbing his eyes. They both stumbled out of the car, clinging onto their clear bags. The sun was barely rising over the horizon.

 

“Okay, Jae is going to sneak you in. Once you get in, find a good hiding space. We can't take you to Australia since you don't have passports. We don't have money to get you on the boat, and they probably don't have any space left, either,” Yoochun said.

 

“Neh, hyung,” the boys cried, nodding their heads in understanding.

 

“So stay in your hiding space and keep away of everything going on around you. You have two hours before anyone comes out and gets on board. Jae will help you find a hiding place.”

 

They nodded and the two men pulled them into a hug. “Be careful. I hope to see you safe and sound after the trip,” Junsu told them. They nodded again and the men let them go. Jae then took their hands and the two bowed to Yoochun and Junsu.

 

“Thank you, hyungs,” Dongwoo told them as Jae pulled them away. They then walked up to the boat. Jae looked around and found an open window. He waved the kids over.

 

“Okay, boys. I'm tall enough to let you guys in, but I can't pull myself in. So, Dongwoo... That's your name, right?” Jae asked, looking at Dongwoo. The older boy nodded and Jae went on.

 

“Okay, Dongwoo. I want you to go in first and then you'll help Hoya get in.”

 

“Wait, shouldn't I go in first?” Hoya asked. “I'm taller.”

 

“I guess you're right. Okay, Hoya, you'll go first. Now. Last warning. Don't get caught. If you do, run. If you have to, take a lifeboat. Now please, stay safe. Hope to see you in Australia.” They nodded once again and Jae lifted Hoya up. The little boy grabbed the window sill and pulled himself up. He then pulled Dongwoo up. They then waved to Jae and started their search for a hinding place. Their new adventure has begun.