The Contents Of My Heart

How Could You? I Miss You.

I don't know why, but I ended up at a small cafe with Soohyun hyung. What I didn't understand was why he was sitting next to me when he could have sat in the seat in front of me.

"Hyung?" I called out for his attention and his eyes reverted from his phone to me.

"Hmm? What's up?" He looked back to his phone and awaited my response.

"I apologize, but why the hell are you sitting next to me? You could just take the seat in front." Soohyun simply smiled at me and shook his head. After a moment or two, he spoke up.

"We're waiting for someone. That's why I'm sitting here. Plus, I don't believe that you want her sit next to you." My mouth formed into an 'o' shape and I stood up to go to the front counter to order a drink. "I'll be back, Hyung. Is there anything you want?"

He shook his head and handed me his credit card. Before I could asked why he gave me his card, he said, "I can't just let you pay yourself. It's alright. It's all on me." I nodded and proceded to the counter.

The cashier was a teenage girl with long, black hair. She looked a lot like Lin. I coughed and quickly ordered, "Just an espresso, please." The girl nodded and I hesitantly slid Soohyun's card to pay. Then, I took my seat next to Soohyun again.

"Who are we waiting for anyway?" I asked curiously.

"It's a surprise." He responded

Ring, Ring..."Welcome, ma'am."

We both stood up and I then realized that the person we were waiting for was...Lin's aunt. Soohyun looked over at me and patted my arm. "It'll be alright." 

"Good afternoon." Her voice was shaky and the two of us bowed down and greeted her back. Soohyun gestured us to sit and we followed. Soon after, the black haired girl from the counter came over with my espresso. I thanked her and looked down at the surface. I could feel a pair of eyes on me and I shifted around in my chair.

"Mrs. Choi, Baekhyun, you remember each other, right?" I nodded and looked up. She was fiddling around with her fingers nervously. "We do..." She looked at me.

Baekhyun started hesitantly, "Mrs. Choi," The woman's attention was on him. "Do you know why...she did it?"

She nodded solemnly. "Soohyun knows as well."

That's when Soohyun stood up after taking a look at his watch. "I've to go now. I'm late for work, and Mr. Lee already threatened he would fire me! Sorry, sorry. I'll see you later, Baekhyun-ah." I gave a nod and waved at him.

"I'm sorry." Mrs. Choi reached out and held my hand. "I wish I could have been a better aunt to her. Before, she used to visit me while I was in jail. She would talk about you all the time. You're what made her happy."

I could feel my eyes fill with tears.

"Last night...I was very touched when you answered those questions about your relations with Lin. I could tell that you two had a special relationship." I nodded. 

*flashback*

"Did you love her?" It wasn't the police officer who asked this, but the suitcase man with the suit. He had a small, solemn smile on his face. I looked straight at him and genuinely answered, "Yes, I did love her. I loved her a lot. I planned to confess to her. I planned to marry her. I had dreams of being with her together. Everything about her was perfect in my eyes. Her long, black, shiny hair was beautiful with her matching pair of black eyes. The way...the way that she always felt warm when you hugged her...I-I miss her..."

Then, I cried. I cried until I almost became dehydrated. It was the first time in my life that I ever felt this way for a person. It was the first time I confessed something like this.

*end flashback*

"Baekhyun, I have something to say in response to what you said last night." 

I felt her squeeze my hand tightly. I nodded. "Alright."

She took a deep breath and said, "During those days that she visited me, she would talk about you quite a lot like I've already told you. There was this one day...that she smiled really wide and I could see her eyes tearing up. She told me, 'Auntie, I have someone that I like.' I was extremely curious, and she continued, 'Remember that boy I was talking about?' I asked, 'Baekhyun?' and she nodded vigorously. I still remember the pink flush on her cheeks and her big smile. That's when she told me, 'Auntie, I think that I really love him...I can imagine myself with him forever. He makes me feel really happy...I can't explain how I feel when I'm with him. It's like fireworks.' It was the first time that she's ever been like that, you know." 

My tears were spilling out of my eyes quickly. Why couldn't she have told me her feelings earlier? I could've made her even happier. No, why couldn't I confess? I was an idiot. A true idiot.

Mrs. Choi's hand loosened and she stood up. "Baekhyun, don't blame yourself too much about not confessing. It's alright."

I nodded and bowed my head as she patted my shoulder. "Well, I'll be going now. Have a nice day."

Ring...Ring...

After I heard the doors, I sat there for a minute in complete and serene silence. Then, I stood up and left the cafe to go home.

My mind was exploding with thoughts. I clutched Lin's bag when I realized that I never did take a look at the contents. My heart tightened, and I ran for the dorms.


"Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo called out. "Where did you go earlier? We were worried that you might've been caught...Are you alright?" 

"I was just out...I'm alright." I headed upstairs and into my room, leaving my groupmate curious. Slowly, I closed my door and took a seat on my bed.

My fingers caressed the brown leather of the bag and then made their way to the golden buckles that enclosed it. I took a deep breath, and I undid the buckle and lifted the little flap.

Without looking in, I reached my hand in and picked up the first thing my hand touched. Then, I saw it. It was a white bow and there was a small note attached to it.

'Baek, remember this? You gave it to me when we first met!'

I remembered it well. It was just like yesterday that I saw that girl walking in the park alone as she wore a floral blue dress with her long black hair in a ponytail. I noticed that her hairclip was out of place, so I gave her a little bow which my mother gave to me to give to her.

I set it off to the side, and grabbed the next item, a small drawing book. I read the note on the cover. 

'This was the best present that I've ever gotten. Thank you for this. I've drawn a lot of good pictures!'

I flipped the pages and saw many sketches and finished drawings of the sort. I could feel a smile tug at my lips when I saw several drawings of myself. They're beautiful. 

I set the book by the bow and reached in again. This time it was a fairly familiar, small, black velvet box. There was no note in view which led me to open it. Again, there was a note. 

'Please, look further. It's your friendship bracelet. I never finished it until now, so I'm giving it to you even if it's too late. We'll still be connected by this.'

I temporarily removed the note from it's place and a little weaved bracelet with dark blue thread sat inside. I picked it up carefully and looked at it before fastening it onto my own wrist. I immediately felt connected to her somehow. I placed the note back inside and set the box down. 

I reached in and my fingers brushed against cold metal. I lost the feeling, but I quickly moved my hand around to regain the feeling. Once I did, I pulled up the metal, and it was a frame with a photograph mounted inside.

It was a photograph of Lin and me. 

Like the other keepsakes, this one also had a note attached, but this one seemed longer than the others.

'Baekhyun, keep fighting, okay? I know I'm gone already, and I know you might be questioning everythng still, but I had to do this. It was for my sake...for Eunhee's sake. I never confessed my feelings to you, and I slightly regret it, but I figured that if I did so, it would be harder to let go. I wouldn't be able to do it. I love you. I hope you know that. I've left you some of the most valuable things when I was in your care. The rest are in my apartment, which I've given to you in my will. Everything in that apartment is yours, so it won't be the last time you set foot in that building. I'll miss you a lot, but I know we'll meet again, right? If you continue trusting me, look deeper into the bag. You might hate me for it, but I've placed in something...that I've told you about only briefly.'

My breath was shaky and hard, and I shut my eyes tightly and grasped my chest. I could feel my heart beating faster, and I was in pain for some reason. My breathing subsided and the pain in my chest eased a little bit. I reached in. And I gradually pulled the object out.

I first saw a handle with pearl embedded in it. Then, I saw an intricate engraving on the cold metal that I had in hand. Once I fully pulled it out, I realized that in my hand...was a revolver. It wasn't just any revolver, though. Even without reading the note that was attached to it, I knew it was the same one she used to kill her family.

I quickly turned to the note, but only a few words were written.

'My dad's precious gun...Goodbye..'

I placed all of the items, except for the pistol and the bracelet on my wrist, in the first drawer of my nightstand. Then, I looked if there were any bullets left. I noted that there were three bullets inside.

That's when I raised the gun to the side of my head and placed my finger over the trigger. Tears ran down my cheeks and I shut my eyes tightly as I moved my finger more onto the trigger.

All of a sudden, my door flew open, and I quickly opened my eyes. In front of me was Sehun, standing in the door frame with his eyes widened. 

"Hyung...no. No! Yo-You're not going to do that! You...you can't..." I noticed him starting to cry. I lowered the gun and removed all of the bullets before throwing both things onto my bed.

"Sehun-ah...I'm sorry you had to see that..." 

He held onto me and mumbled words like, "You can't.." and "Don't leave us...please.."

I sighed deeply, and rubbed his back. "I won't do it again."


It was the next day, and Soohyun came around to the dorm to pick me up.

"Baekhyun-ah, come with me." I followed him without questioning, and he led me into his car.

"Hyung, where are we going?"

"Cemetary." He tried a small smile and I managed to smile back at him. 

The ride to the cemetary was about thirty minutes, but those minutes felt like long hours. 

We entered into the yard of tombstones and buried corpses. The place felt a lot colder than the outside of it, but it also felt a lot warmer than it did on another degree.

I followed Soohyun to where Lin was going to be buried, and all of my inner emotions faded away.

My knees lowered and I touched the tombstone where it read:

Lin Choi

July 1993 - November 2012

Gone, but never forgotten.

I again sobbed my eyes out.

Then, before leaving, I whispered out, "I'll miss you...a lot. We'll meet again, though. I'll come to your funeral. Goodbye for now."


Well, I'm finally done with this. I have to admit that I did cry a bit when I wrote this. I hope you all enjoyed this, though. Thanks a bunch to my subscribers! I appreciate every single one of you!