Part II

Kindergarten Tales

 

After their naps Yunho supervised as they rolled up their mats and carefully placed them in a cupboard as they were handed to him one by one. Once everything was put away he had the children stand on the rug in a large circle to stretch and exercise using music with catchy lyrics that gave directions on how to dance, like the hokey pokey. “You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out, you put your left hand in and you shake it all around” played while all the children did as the song dictated. That was until Kibum stopped. Yunho noticed and walked over to the boy and asked him if everything was okay.Look at him as if he was in deep thought Kibum asked “What’s the point of putting your hand in then taking it out if you’re just going to put it back in? I mean couldn’t you just leave it in there in the first place?”

Yunho felt his sweat drop as he sighed and said “Because Kibum, the point is to follow what the song says to do. It’s like testing you to see if you know what body part is which and if you know your left from your right”. Kibum scrunched up his face and asked “Like a test?” “Yes, will you do the dance now?” Kibum nodded and proceeded to dance the song so seriously with an intense look of concentration that Yunho could barely hold back from laughing. When the song finished Yunho decided to just play a normal song for the kids to dance to.

 The sight that ensued was so endearing that he wished he’d brought his camera. Eunhyuk, Donghae, and Shindong got really into the dances and were doing a really good job at copying moves that he was sure they copied from stars on T.V. Henry and Kibum were dancing with them but they weren’t as extreme in their moves. Siwon and Kangin flat out refused to participate but were eventually coaxed into at least trying by Leeteuk. Ryeowook and Sungmin decided to dance with their stuffed animals. Ryeowook had a large soft looking pink bunny that she clutched to her chest as she slowly swayed next to Sungmin who had a large pink and yellow polka dotted snake. That he wrapped around his neck and moved with his hands to the music.

Heechul and Hangeng were dancing together, Heechul shaking her little rump and waving her hands before her in a similar manner while Hangeng did his best to copy her. (Like they did in SS2 Nanjing) But the one who really took the cake was Yesung who moved so awkwardly adorable with a giggling Kyuhyun who tried her best to show him the different dance steps she knew. When the song finished Yunho had the children return to their seats, which brought to many protest from the children who wanted to continue dancing. Yunho grinned and said “Didn’t you guys say you wanted to know who was a hyung and who was a dongsaeng?” Immediately the children ran to their seats. While they sat eagerly awaiting what was in store Yunho grinned at them. “Alright, I’ll call you up one by one okay? So the oldest one in our class…other than me of course…is Leeteuk! Leeteuk come up here please”.

Leeteuk smiled her dimpled smile and made her way to the front of the class as Yunho said “Everybody still sitting has to call her Nuna or Unnie okay?” When everybody nodded Kangin asked “Whose next?!” Behind him he heard a whimper so Hangeng turned and saw Heechul pouting, but before he could ask what was wrong Yunho called her up to the class. As Yunho repeated what they should call her, she was uncharacteristically quiet. Hangeng frowned but his name was called next so he quickly went to stand next to Heechul. While Yunho explained that they should call him hyung or oppa, Hangeng stared as Heechul pouted at her bright red sneakers. As Yunho introduced everyone else Hangeng found he couldn’t focus on anyone but the small girl next to him.

Since there was only 15 minutes left in class Yunho decided to let the class have the last minutes to play indoors as free time. And as the children ran to the different stations Hangeng lost sight of Heechul and so he stopped to look around the room. Ryeowook, Sungmin, Kyuhyun, and Yesung were playing house with stuffed animals as their children…but Kyuhyun said that her and Yesung’s baby was at school (She had after all forgotten Kyubear at home). Kangin and Shindong were animatedly talking about a wrestling match that they’d watched with their fathers the night before. Donghae had at some point insulted Eunhyuk by saying “You look like a monkey Eunhyukkie!” and was now being ignored by the girl as she tried to convince Siwon to join the game of house as her husband. Henry and Kibum had spread out the zoo books all over the floor and were looking through the pictures, with the unspoken challenge of who could find the coolest picture.

Suddenly he felt someone tugging at his shirt. He turned and saw Leeteuk smiling softly at him her dimple showing lightly. “Are you looking for Heechul-ah?” Hangeng nodded and said “Nuna do you know where she is?” She nodded and took his hand and led him to a corner that was covered by large blue charts that were hung on metal frames with wheels that held the flash cards Yunho had gone over with them earlier. Leeteuk nudged him and said “Go talk to her. I think she’s upset because she’s the second oldest” before giving him a “fighting” and walking off. Hangeng nodded before he pushed some of the charts away to reveal the small red head clutching her rag doll to her chest.

Hangeng sat in front of her and waited patiently for her to look at him. When she finally did she asked “What?!” Not fazed by her snapping he asked “Are you okay Nuna?” Instantly she frowned and hissed “Don’t call me that!” Hangeng blinked and said “But Yang sonsaengnim said to call you that. Don’t you want to be a Nuna?” Heechul sighed and said “I don’t mind being a Nuna…I Just wanted you to be my oppa…” Confused he questioned “Why?” She blushed lightly and turned away from him and whispered “I…wanted an oppa to take care of me”. Hangeng furrowed his eyebrows and said “I’m not your oppa but, I’ll still take care of you”.

 Heechul slowly faced him again and asked “Really?” “Of course! You said we are best friends, so it’s my duty to take care of you no matter what! Okay Nuna?” She smiled at him and extended her pinky and asked “Pinky promise?” Hangeng nodded and took her pinky and his. “Okay, but don’t call me Nuna! Since we’re equal you can call me Heechul okay?” Hangeng grinned and they sealed it. Just as they sealed their promise they heard Yunho cry “There you guys are!” as he moved the charts so that they could walk out. “Heechul your dad is here to pick you up”. She grinned as she saw her dad standing in the doorway.

“Daddy!” she cried running toward him but stopping halfway and running back to Hangeng to give him a quick hug and to say “Don’t forget the fan okay? Bye Hannie!” before running out to her dad and leaving. Soon afterwards Hangeng’s mom arrived and they left. As they drove home she asked “Did you have fun?” “Uh-huh” he replied as he stared out the window. “Did you make friends?” He quickly turned to her grinning as he replied “Yeah, I have a best friend ma!” His mother grinned at him through the rear view mirror and asked “Oh what’s his name?” He shook his head and said “It’s a girl and her name’s Heechul and she likes Chinese stuff ma! Oh! Can I take my fan to school tomorrow the dad bought at the last festival we went to?” Smiling she replied “Sure Geng. You really like this girl huh? So tell me. When can I meet my future daughter-in-law?” Hangeng blinked his child mind not understanding “Is Heechul going to be family?” A bright smile burst on his face before he nodded enthusiastically “That sounds like fun! When I can she join the family ma?”

A soft chuckle escaped his mother’s lips before she replied “Once you ask her parents for her hand.” Accepting her response Hangeng nodded and replied “I’ll ask Mr. Kim Tomorrow!”