Chapter 2

Guitar Boy [EDITING]

Your POV

You’re busy painting the portrait of a woman’s daughter when the sweet, familiar strums of a guitar grace your ears. You stop painting to glance up at Guitar Boy. He stands a little closer to you today because some ahjussi selling ddeokbokki took his spot from yesterday. He looks - and sounds - even better from this distance.

Suddenly, his head swivels to look directly at you and the two of you lock eyes. Your cheeks heat up instantly; it’s like he’s singing just for you.

You quickly break the stare and return to the painting in front of you, your heart pounding uncontrollably in your chest. After a minute, you peek over the top of your easel to see if the handsome musician is still staring over at you.

He isn’t.

A small sigh of disappointment escapes your lips and you pout slightly. I want him to look back over here, you think to yourself shyly, watching him from the corners of your eyes.

“It’s beautiful!” the woman applauds, admiring your portrait of her daughter and interrupting your self-pity session.

You smile sweetly and nod your head in a small bow. “Thank you!”

She pays you well for your efforts before she and her daughter take their leave.

Once they’re gone, you chance another look over at Guitar Boy. He’s stopped singing momentarily to take a sip from his water bottle. His Adam’s apple bobs up and down as he drinks and you follow the motion with your eyes, unable to look away from the mesmerizing boy.

Feeling eyes on him, he turns to see you staring at him once again. You gasp but don’t avert your eyes like before. Instead, the two of you stare at one another for a long time until an elderly couple approaches your stand. Reluctantly, you break the stare in order to greet the couple and begin painting their portrait.

Guitar Boy doesn’t look your way for the rest of the afternoon.

*****

You’re packing up your art supplies when the music comes to a stop with the end of the song. You glance over in Guitar Boy’s direction to see him scooping money out of his guitar case and placing his instrument inside delicately.

The sun has set and evening is approaching fast, the lights around the fountain turning on to illuminate the large, circle sidewalk surrounding it.

Guitar Boy latches his case shut and stands, slinging it over his shoulder with ease. He begins to walk toward the park exit but, before walking through the large metal arches, turns to face you one last time. He catches you staring at him, yet again, and suddenly feels slightly nervous. Unsure of himself, he lifts his slender hand to give you a shy wave before quickly turning on his heel and exiting the park.

A large, dorky smile spreads across your face and your cheeks go hot. His back is to you now and you know he can’t possibly see you, but you wave back enthusiastically, the pounding of your heart matching up with each speedy step he takes.

*****

For the next couple of weeks, the two of you wave to one another every day without exchanging a word. Sometimes, you’ll nod to each other in greeting. Other times, you’ll meet each other’s eyes at a random moment and both smile before looking away shyly. It’s not much, but it’s enough to get your heart racing and cheeks burning every time.

It’s been three weeks since the first day Guitar Boy started playing in the park. By now, you’ve memorized all of his songs and even hum along when he plays your favorites. You’ve tried getting up the courage to talk to him, but every time you do, you’re either interrupted by a customer or chicken out entirely.

Hwayoung knows all about your little crush and constantly pesters you to go up and talk to him. Your summer break doesn’t last much longer and, once the semester starts back up, you won’t be in the park as often.

You know she’s right. It’s stupid that you won’t just go up and talk to him, but it’s more than the fact that you’re shy that’s keeping you from approaching him.

“What if he’s not as great as the Guitar Boy in my head?” you ask her one night at dinner.

She rolls her entire head and gives you a tired look. “Well, you’ll never know if you don’t talk to him.”

“You know why I can’t just do that! Help me, unnie!” You grab her arm and give her your best puppy eyes, hoping to soften her up and get some sympathy.

“It’s simple," she sighs, "grow a pair, and talk to him. It’s not like you’re asking the kid to marry you." She begins gathering her food items and stands from her chair abruptly, pointing a well-manicured finger at your face. "You’re eighteen, for God’s sake!” she shouts, stomping into the living room to eat her meal in peace.

You pout and call after her, “Mom would give me much better advice than you, pabo!”

“Then why don’t you ask her for advice?" Hwayoung retorts.

You cross your arms over your chest and glare at the wall. You can’t exactly call your mom, considering she’s away on a business venture in America.

Heaving a sigh, you grab your plate and trudge to the kitchen. After washing your dishes, you stomp through the living room obnoxiously in order to disturb HwayoungShe just scoffs and turns back to her drama while you slam the door to your room and throw yourself onto your bed.

You hug the giant stuffed bear and frown in the dark, annoyed and confused and frustrated. “Why am I so shy?!” You throw the bear away from you and sit up on your bed, clenching your hands into fists. “That’s it, I’m going to talk to him! This is the last week before school starts back up, so no more being a wimp! I’ll prove to unnie that I’m not some shy little kid!”

ing your fist in the air, you do a small ‘fighting!’ chant and begin to practice what you’re going to say to Guitar Boy tomorrow, trying to ignore the swarms of butterflies in your stomach. You have to talk to him, or your feelings are going to explode everywhere.

You will talk to him!

 


 

(A/N:) Sorry the first two chapters are so boring ^^;

But they'll get better from now on, I promise!

Next update Friday maybe? Hmmm

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!