Loss

Born From A Rose

"Go outside!" Minho pointed at the door.

 

"What's happening?" the young boy cried. He stared up at his brother with tear blurred eyes. 

 

"He can stay." their mother's weak voice spoke. 

 

"Mother..." Minho knelt by the bed and held her hand gently. 

 

"My Taemin." the woman looked past her eldest son into the confused eyes of her baby boy.

 

"Mama." Taemin pattered over beside his brother.

 

"You're so handsome, did you know that?" the woman smiled weakly then began to cough.

 

"Mother!" Minho's eyes widened as he tightened his grip on her hand. 

 

"I'm okay, my child." she turned her gaze back to Taemin. "My baby..."

 

"Yes mama." Taemin smiled.

 

"Will you do something for me?"

 

"Anything mama!" Taemin nodded. 

 

"Look under the bed and take the wooden box with the moon carved on the lid." Taemin ducked under the bed, looking around.

 

"I don't see-" his eyes lit up as he placed his hand on the top of a small wooden box. He curled his fingers around the corners and slid it against the wooden floorboards towards him. "I found it!" he giggled.

 

"Good." his mother smiled sweetly. "Don't open it yet though sweety." 

 

"Why not?" Taemin pouted. 

 

"Mother what is this nonsense? You should be resting!" Minho cried out. 

 

"Shhh." she smiled. "Now Taemin, listen to me."

 

"Yes!" Taemin leaned closer. 

 

"You will not open that box until your sixteenth birthday, do you understand?"

 

"I do...but that's a long time to wait!" he looked down at the box. 

 

"But you can do it. I know you can. Now go take that to your room and hide it away." 

 

"Mama..." Taemin stood.

 

"It's okay. Go hide it so no one can ever find it but you." she smiled dimly and closed her eyes. "Go now, my baby." Taemin nodded and left the room, holding the box tightly to his chest.

 

"Mother..." Minho bit his lip.

 

"Don't worry." the woman opened her eyes again. "Minho, listen to me."

 

"Of course, mother." 

 

"Take care of Taemin. Don't let anything happen to him." 

 

"What...no. You can't leave us!" Minho tried his hardest to hold back his tears.

 

"It's time I join your father now." 

 

"No! He can wait a few more years. Please!" Minho lowered his head against his mother's side. "Please..." 

 

"Don't be afraid." the boy's mother softly his hair.

 

"It's my fault you're ill..."

 

"Now Minho...." she began to cough again. 

 

"Stop talking." Minho lifted his head and placed a hand on his mother's forehead. 

 

"I must go now..." she closed her eyes, breathing slowly. 

 

"Please, mother." he stared down at her pale face. "Mother..." he blinked. "Mother?" he leaned closer. "...Mom?" his lips quivered. "Mom.." he touched her cheek and her head dropped to the side. "Mommy..." his eyes drowned in tears and he dropped his head. 

 

"Minho! Mama! I hid the box!" Minho heard his brother's cheerful voice call out from his room. The older brother turned his attention back to his mother's cold body.

 

"Please rest well..." he pulled the sheet over her face and sighed. "Coming, Taemin!" he called out as deeply as he could, trying to hide his sadness and fear.