Drinking Away The Thoughts of You

To Be, Or Not To Be

Jonghyun’s P.O.V

I had paid no attention to the roads, ran a stop light, swerved and almost hit another car, and yet I still ended up safely at Key’s workplace.

“What am I doing here? Onew said it’s best for him not to see me anymore.”

I didn't even know if he was in there. I parked and turned off the engine against my words. My mouth kept telling me not to, but my brain kept doing so.

I just wanted to talk to Key. I doubt there’s anything I can say to make him feel better. I doubt there’s anything that he wants to hear, but I just wanted to see Key. I wanted to explain.

 

I walked behind the crowd at the dance floor. The music was loud as always, the atmosphere was dark but bright colorful lights flashed everywhere.

“How the hell am I supposed to find Key this way?” The bar was full, maybe Key is over there.

I turned as I felt a hand grab mine. My excitement went away when I saw the face of just another blonde girl.

“Oppa, will you come dance with me? I’ll let you touch me wherever you like.”

I jerked my hand from her grip. As I turned back to make my way to the bar, she grabbed onto me again.

“Oppa! You want to drink? Drink with me then!”

Maybe she knows Key.

“Do you know if Key is working today?”

“What?!” The music was too loud.

“Is Key here?!”

She stomped her foot without answering, rolled her eyes, flipped her hair and spun around towards the other direction.

“Wait,” I grabbed her arm this time.

“Why the does everyone want Key?! Am I not ing good enough?!”

“So he is here?”

“NO!” She angrily strutted away. I walked back towards the bar.

I took a quick look at the faces around but none were as beautiful. None were sweet and bright. I plopped myself down on a chair at the far end of the bar.

I rubbed my face into my hands. “What the hell am I doing here?!” I closed my eyes for a while even with the chaos happening around me.

“Sir…Sir!” I unburied my face from my palm and looked up at the bar tender.

“This drink was ordered for you by those girls over there.” I looked over at the waving strippers. I didn’t want to drink it because it might invite the girls over but what the hell, I needed a drink to get my mind away from Key. I took it all in one shot.

“What the …” That was the hardest thing I’ve drunk in a while. It went straight to my head. I rested my forehead on my palms and the next thing I knew, the two girls had appeared at my side. I seriously am the worst drinker ever. My alcohol tolerance was very bad. I got woozy after that one drink. Things already started to get harder to interpret. My head hurt. I don’t remember much but I know one of the girls had forced another drink on me. I felt worse after the second drink. I hadn’t eaten since morning with Key. I was drinking on an empty stomach.

“Excuse me…” I lifted my hand and pushed the drink away. I almost fell as I got up from the seat. I shook my head a little to try to straighten up the moving room. It didn’t help.

“Key… I have to look for Key…”

 

Key’s P.O.V

“5…4…3…2…1…Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to our Key, happy birthday to you!” My coworker friends happily cheered and sang for me as the clock struck 12. They didn’t give a damn that I was not in the mood. They threw confetti and opened a few beers after they finished singing.

“Blow out the candles Key!” Sunny brought the cake up close to my face. I crossed my arms and stared at the bright tear drop shaped light. It hovered over the darkening string inside the wax candle.

Wouldn’t it be great if I just lit myself on fire or something…

“Come on Key! Blow it out!” a few more people cheered as I didn’t comply. I didn’t smile, my facial expression was dead.

Sunny blew out the candles. “Okay… So who wants some cake?!” The others cheered as she set down the cake. They all crowded around the little table as I took a seat down on the cushioned sofa. My boss entered the room.

“Where’s the music?! Someone start the karaoke machine! …Wait, there’s cake? Hey why don’t one of you cut your boss a slice?”

She approached me in her five inch stilettos. 

“Key baby, you see how much I care for you? All of us here wanted to make your birthday special. You won’t get paid for being here, but we were the first ones to wish you a happy birthday. We did it right when it turned 12!”

“You weren’t even here…” I replied in an uninterested monotone voice.

“Well I was a little late. But just in time for some cake.” Yoona handed her a plate with a small slice of cake on it.

“You called me in for work. What is all this for?”

“Key stop being a party pooper. Cheer up. Eat some cake, sing a song, drink some beer! I’ll have someone bring in some wine or some shot glasses or something! It’s your birthday! Give Ms. Lucy a smile.” She placed her cherry red nails on either side of my lips and stretched them. I pushed her hand off and gave her a serious look.

She laughed and stuffed with the cake.

“Let me go bring some more drinks,” she mumbled as a bit of cake flew out of .

 

One beer, two beers, three beers. I forced them down my throat. It left a cold and stinging sensation. The aftertaste lingered on my tongue.

“I’m going to just drink my life away.” I stared at the fourth bottle as I opened it with my bare hands. The cap left indents on my fingers and below my thumb on the inside of my palm.

I felt an arm throw across my shoulders.

“Hey there birthday boy, why don’t you sing a song with me?” I looked over and tried to focus my vision. I couldn’t tell who it was. Did he even work here?

He was drunk and all over me. Everyone was drunk. I didn’t even bother recognizing them. They were having a party of their own even though I was the main point. The music was on loud, this dude next to me was croaking like a frog, the girls were dancing, twerking, and grinding on the side with the few gays that worked here with me, but I didn’t pay any attention to anything except the glass bottle in my hand.

The guy still had his arms on me as he rocked side to side swaying me with him.

“Kim Jonghyun. you. And I was planning on spending my birthday with you too.” I felt sadder and sadder the more I thought about him. I felt a tear drop down my right cheek.

“I just have to drink. I have to drink more. If I’m drunk, I won’t remember anything. I won’t know anything.”

I downed my fourth bottle of beer. Apparently the annoying guy had finished singing his song.

“How was I, babe?” *hiccup* he continuously hiccupped as he swayed me closer to his face. “Here give me a kiss…” I pushed him away, but instead, he moved away from my hands and threw his face in.

Luckily, I turned my head in time as his wet and sloppy lips planted a slimy kiss next to my mouth.

“Damn you’re y.” I felt his hand fall from my shoulder as he made his way down my side stopping at my hips.

“Why the are you drinking beer?” He pulled up a half empty bottle of liquor from the table.

I stared blankly at the bottle. I was already starting to feel a little dizzy.

“Just drink it straight from the bottle.” He grabbed the back of my neck and shoved the bottle into my face. He was drunk. He missed my mouth.

I didn’t resist though. I grabbed the bottle and turning it upside-down in my mouth, I began to swallow as much as I could.

I could die of alcohol poisoning right now and I wouldn’t even care.

With my head lifted looking towards the ceiling, I felt something on my neck it was wet and roaming around from side to side and . By the time I had downed the rest of the bottle, I had knocked out.

 

I laughed. I actually let out a chuckle. “What’s…” I swallowed some spit “your name?”

I knew he was on me. “O-ppa. I want you…to call me oppa… do it…”

“Oppa? … You?” I pointed but poked something soft like an eyeball.

“I want…you…” Something dragged me up on my feet. “ me.”

“Jjong oppa!” I was walking as I was being dragged out. Left over right. Left, left, right, right foot first.

The music was softer. It then stopped completely.

“Where are the rooms?” *thud* Something hard hit my left arm. It felt like a large brick wall or something.

The firm grip around my shoulder had loosened.

“Jjong! Why don’t you love me?” *thud* *thud* The same thing hit my shoulder again as the excess weight on my shoulder had fallen off. I couldn’t stand straight. Everything was swirls. It was dark swirls. I took baby steps by myself but my right leg had tripped the other leg.

“Key.” My legs stopped working. I had fallen but I never reached the ground. I was so sleepy. The dark swirls all just turned into blackness. My eyelids closed.

 

 

 

 

----------------------

 

 

 

 

^^Key’s birthday was random. I had planned that to happen later but it’ll take too long for me to get there so I completely took out the in-between parts.

Key was supposed to be drunk so sorry if the last part of his pov was hard to understand. I triedXD

Thank you my wonderful subbies<3