Ch 3: Late Night Texting (+poll)

Unlike An Open Book

From now on, dialogue with bold lettering means the character is speaking in Chinese.

 

 

 

 

 

She left, didn’t she?

 

 

 

 

 

It was raining. Rain meant the fields are slippery. Rain also means no soccer practice. When Luhan got to school, he was soaking wet. He could care less about how his jacket was soaking through all his clothes or how he didn’t bring an umbrella. He leaned against his locker, eyes closed, not caring about what he looked like. He was lucky enough when Sehun had brought him a spare hoodie to replace what he was wearing now.

“Thanks,” Luhan said half-heartedly.

“You know,” Sehun started, “I have never seen you carry an umbrella ever since I met you.”

Luhan shrugged, “A hood works just as good.”

Sehun shook his head and leaned against the locker next to Luhan, “So are we just going to stay here?”

Luhan nodded and turned to the person who was opening their locker beside him. Byun Baekhyun. Sumin was tagging along with him. Luhan felt his heartbeat hike up. He didn’t realize he was staring until Sumin locked eye contact with him, causing him to quickly look away.

Jongin suddenly appeared, quite early, hair wet, and looking disheveled. He threw a quick greeting towards Luhan and Sehun before pulling a folder out his backpack, “Hey Sumin, did I do the assignment right? I lost the list but I think I drew all the mandatory items.”

Luhan remembered that Jongin and Sumin had the same art class. Sumin pulled out a half-sheet of paper from her folder in her arms, “You can have mine.” Jongin took the paper and Sumin was already turned around when Luhan spoke up.

“Sumin wait,” she turned around. Luhan gulped. Just say something. Anything. Compliment her on her hair or something.

Luhan visibly saw Jongin facepalm from his side view as he shook he head, “Hey Sumin, do you want to go to the movies this weekend?”

Luhan stares at Jongin as if he was crazy. “Isn’t that too awkward? I mean, we don’t really talk to each other out of class,” Sumin says.

“That will give us a perfect time to bond! Plus it won’t only be us, Luhan and Sehun will be coming, too.” Jongin grinned.

Sumin hummed and Luhan was one-hundred percent sure she was going to decline Jongin’s request. What type of girl agrees to go out to the movies with three guys she barely even knows–

“Okay.”

Luhan could hear Sehun’s silent chuckle and Jongin’s grin widened even more (if that was possible), “Here, why don’t you give me your number and I’ll text you the information later?” The two switched phones and Luhan’s heart is beating faster than ever.

He feels Sehun’s arms wrap around his shoulders, whispering something Luhan couldn’t understand at the moment.

Jongin thanked Sumin and they swapped phones again, “See you Saturday!”

Sumin nodded and was on her way with Baekhyun. Jongin turned to his friends, searching through his contacts until someone’s name popped up. His grin never left as he showed Luhan his phone. “Now you have a date with her and her number.”

The only thing Luhan could think of was the upcoming weekend and he didn’t know if he wants to choke or hug Jongin.

 

 

 

 

 

The three met up at Luhan’s place on the day the movie “date” was on an hour before they would meet Sumin. They only had had twenty minutes left and Luhan still has not chosen what to wear (he was in pajamas).

“Luhan hurry up. We need to leave soon,” Jongin groaned. It usually takes a good twenty-five minute ride on the train from where Luhan lives and it was a Saturday afternoon.

“This is my favorite striped tee. What if she doesn’t like stripes? I’ve met people like that...” Luhan looked between his friends.

Jongin fumbled with his phone, “I bet she doesn’t even care about what you wear. Look–this is what she’s wearing,” Jongin lifted his phone.

Luhan was biting his bottom lip, “Do you mind sending that to me–“

“That’s it.” Sehun got up from Luhan’s office chair and dug clothes out of Luhan’s drawers, ing them at Luhan. “Put those on so we can go.” He left before Luhan could say anything.

Jongin sighed and followed Sehun out.

 

 

 

 

 

Once the three finally reached the movie theater, Luhan almost immediately spotted Sumin with Baekhyun. He heard Sehun whisper; I knew she wasn’t coming alone.  Nevertheless, Sumin’s presence has not ever failed to stun Luhan.

“This is Baekhyun,” She said, gesturing over to the said man, but the only thing that was registered in Luhan’s mind was how good Sumin looked since he’s only seen her in her school uniform.  Luha thought she looked good in everything.

“Luhan,” Sehun pushed the male (out of his daydream). “What movie do you want to see?”

He shrugged, “Anything is fine with me.”

“We should watch that romance film,” Baekhyun suggested.

Sumin sighed, “You only read and watch things about love and relationships.” Baekhyun only smiled back.

“That’s perfect actually.” Jongin patted and whispered to Luhan, “Maybe you can even learn a little something from it.”

The five teenagers made their way to the line and paid for their tickets. Baekhyun and Sumin were always so close together, making Luhan wonder if they were really cousins.

In the line for food and drinks, Luhan moved beside Baekhyun, “Do you live with Sumin?” An awkward question to ask–as if the atmosphere wasn’t already awkward enough.

Baekhyun nodded, “Yup.” Silence. “We’re cousins,” he promptly added.

“But why do you live with your cousin?”

Baekhyun stared at Luhan with so much intensity, Luhan thought he was shrinking, “Honestly, it’s none of your business.”

Luhan stumbled with his words, “Oh–I–I’m sorry–I’ll just–“ He backed away, “–go.” He bumped into who he hoped was Jongin or Sehun, “I don’t think Baekhyun likes me,” he whispered as he turned around.

He bumped into Jongin, but Sumin was right next to him. “What? Baekhyun likes everyone,” Jongin said, Sumin nodding beside him.

Luhan suddenly didn’t want to be there anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

Terrible. Everything was just terrible. Luhan didn’t even get to sit next to Sumin during the movie. The seat order was Sumin, Baekhyun, Sehun, Jongin, Luhan and Luhan cursed himself for sitting next to Jongin because Jongin spilled his soda on him “accidentally.” He tried to clean it up in the bathroom, but that didn’t help as much. He ad to use his jacket to cover the area that was stained, and that was more embarrassing than his conversation with Baekhyun.

They were on the train. It was pretty full that day and Baekhyun managed to snag a seat after an old male left, patting his lap to make Sumin sit. She, as expected, obliged.

“We should take a group picture,” Jongin said, already unlocking his phone. He huddled everyone together to fit into the LCD screen, “One, two…” Click.

“What happened to three?” Luhan asked.

“Fine,” he held up his phone again and snapped another shot. “Three.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. His phone soon buzzed in his pocket; it was the two pictures taken not too long ago. He was standing next to Sumin, Baekhyun’s chin on her left shoulder. Luhan made a mental note to crop out the two of them and set it as his wallpaper when he gets home.

The train stopped and Sumin and Baehyun stood up, “See you guys on Monday,” Sumin chirped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Picture cropped, wallpaper set, and an uneasy feeling. He stared at his phone and wondered aloud, “Does this make me weird?” He sighed and opened the text messaging app. After a good ten minutes of debating whether to ask or not ask Jongin for Sumin’s number on the train, he thought it would be harmless and got her digits right away. It had only been two hours and he already knows Sumin’s number by heart. Creepy, Luhan concluded. He entered her name in the receiver’s box.

            Hey it’s Luhan.

He gawked at the message before deleting it.

            I had a fun time at the movies.

He rubbed the back of his neck. How can you have a fun time at the movies when all you do is sit?

            Don’t you think all romance movies are cliché? (It’s Luhan.)

He sighs.

            I think I like you.

His thumb hovers over the ‘send’ button and he rolls his eyes at the thought of actually sending the message.

            Hey it’s Luhan.

He finally presses send. Lame, he thinks, but satisfying. He slips his phone into his pajama pant’s pocket before walking to the kitchen. He was in the middle of pouring his milk in his cereal when his phone vibrated.

            Oh hey! I hope that soda washes off...

He accidentally drops his phone into his bowl. His father, who was watching TV on the couch at the moment suddenly spoke in a loud voice, “I’m not buying you a new phone if that one gets damaged.

Luhan instantly pulled it out and took off the case to wipe it with napkins. He brings his stuff to his room and sets the bowl on his desk, wondering if he should still eat it.

            Ah, yeah. It’s in the drying machine now. Thanks for worrying (?)

            I actually liked that shirt hehe.

Hehe. Luhan’s heart was basically exploding inside him.

            Wow you’re cute.

Why did I just send that?

            I know~

And they spent the rest of the night texting each other.

Little did he know, someone couldn't stand how Sumin was giggling at her phone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ohoho. Chapters are flying out like birds– /slapped. Poll for all you ies.