Safe and Sound

Safe and Sound

 

Safe and Sound

 

Tears started streaming down his face when I said, “I’ll never let you go.”

“I must go,” Yongguk whispered. “I don’t want to, but I must.”

“You can’t possibly leave me to go fight in the war.”

“I must. It’s for our country.”

“What if you die in battle?”

He wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face in his chest. “I’ll make it out alive. I promise.”

“Don’t go,” I said, as tears started to flow down my face.

He kissed the top of my head. Then we stayed in that position for a long time.

It was the last time I’d be seeing him. I knew it.

“Okay, time’s up, say goodbye,” the sergeant said gruffly.

We pulled away and he gave me one last kiss on the lips. “I’ll see you soon, Eunyeol,” he said, with a small smile.

I wiped his tears away and pecked his lips once more before handing him over to the sergeants.

I watched him leave, to the battlefield. Then I fell on my knees and cried my heart out.

 

Somehow I ended up being a nurse.

Everyday, after a few hours of shouts, screams, gunshots and bombing, came in a stream of injured, but not fatally, soldiers. But never did I once saw him.

What if he died already? What if he was captured? What if he was being tortured right now?

Never did those thoughts leave my head. Not even once.

 

Almost a year had past.

One long, painful year, and the war was still raging on.

I never saw him for that one year. And so, I began to lose hope. What if he’s really dead? I couldn’t bear to think of that.

Every night, I cried myself to sleep. I couldn’t imagine life without him. I had grown up with him. Gradually, I fell in love with him. I just could not imagine my life without him. He was everything to me.

I wanted the perfect ending. Don’t everyone?

I wanted him to come back after the battle, unharmed. I wanted him to ask me to marry him. I wanted to live happily ever after, post-war.

I sighed and a silent tear fell from my eye.

“Are you okay?” my co-worker asked, her voice filled with concern.

“Yes, yes I am,” I whispered. No, no I’m not.

 

“DYING SOLDIER!” a loud voice shouted. I snapped out of my daze and looked up.

I shot up my seat and weaved through the crowd. My heart almost stopped at the sight. “Y-Yongguk,” I managed to stammer out.

“You know him?” someone asked in shock.

“Put him to sleep,” someone else muttered. “To lessen the suffering.”

“No,” a hoarse voice said. “Don’t put me to sleep. I need to say goodbye… To her.”

“Her?” someone questioned.

“Eu-Eun.” He coughed up blood. “Y-Yeol.”

 

“I can’t believe it. You’re finally here,” I said softly.

“I’m sorry,” he said hoarsely.

I blinked at him. “What for?”

“I promised you, that I’d make it out alive. Look at me now.” He gave me a sad smile. His breathing became ragged and his eyes started to flutter close. “No, I-I will not leave now.”

It hurt me to see him trying to stay alive for me. “Yongguk, it’s okay.”

“No, it’s not. I have not seen you… in a year… a-and now I’m here. I want to savor… this last moment with you.”

“Just close your eyes,” I whispered. “You’ll be alright… No one, no one can hurt you now.”

“You remembered,” he said softly.

 

I wrapped my arms around my knees and I cried. My parents were murdered in front of me. I was lucky they didn’t get me.

“Hey, are you okay?” someone asked. I raised my head and came face to face with Yongguk.

“No,” I whimpered before sobbing again. He wrapped his strong arms around me and said, ”Just close your eyes. You’ll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you’ll be safe and sound.” He kissed my forehead. “I’ll protect you, Eunyeol.”

 

“You and I’ll be safe and sound,” I finished.

I stood and placed a kiss on his lips. “I love you. I’ll never forget you.”

“I love… you… too,” he said with his final breath. Then his eyes flutter close, and a silent tear streamed down his face.

“Just close your eyes, you’ll be alright. You’ll be safe and sound,” I said softly as my tears fell onto his body.

 

2 years later

I padded across the barren grass field. I tightened my grip around the bouquet of roses. The tomb slowly came to view. I slowed down my pace as I walked towards it. I halted right in front of it and laid the roses on top of it.

“I miss you, Yongguk,” I whispered into the wind.

I climbed up the tomb and wrapped my arms around my knees. I let out a sigh.

Before I knew it, I started to cry.

I cried for Yongguk. I cried for my parents. I cried for my pitiful, lonely life.

I bury my face in my hands. “I miss you. I miss you…”

“Hey, are you alright?” a deep voice asked.

I looked up. The owner of the voice looked back at me with his feline-like eyes. He had sharp facial features and blonde hair that swept over one eye. He looked menacing but he didn’t seem to be one to hurt someone.

“Yes, I am,” I tried to say but tears took over and I started crying again.

“Hey, it’s alright,” he said. He walked over to me and cupped my cheek with his hands and wiped my tears with his thumb. “No one can hurt you now. You’ll be alright.”

I stared at him. You sound so much like Yongguk.

“What’s your name?” I asked softly.

“Kim Himchan. And we’ll protect you. Yongguk and me. He’s watching you from up there”

“How did you know…” I trailed off.

“I’m his best friend. I promised him.”

I gave him a small smile. “Promise…”

“I’ll be your guardian. You’ll be safe and sound with me.” He extended his arm out and I took his hand. He carried me off the tomb and put me down on the grass. “Let’s go home,” he said softly.
Thank you, Yongguk, for leaving me with Kim Himchan.

 


ide- 

This is short. Sorry. 

Really wasn't satisfied with this... But i hoep you guys like it