Chapter 2

Her Sister's Secret

 

Mir willed himself to run even faster but his body didn’t want to cooperate. His lungs were starting to burn and his legs were slowly giving in. The rain showed no signs of stopping, making it much harder for him to maneuver the streets. He scanned the crowd hoping to find his girlfriend among the sea of people but luck didn’t seem to be on his side.

As he came to a busy intersection, Mir decided to pause for a breather; his body could only take so much. Bringing his hands to his knees, Mir took in long sharp breaths in an attempt to quell the panic inside him. Where could’ve Nana run to?

As soon as Mir broke the news to her, Nana instantly froze. Whatever she was feeling, Mir couldn’t tell - her face was devoid of any emotion. After what seemed like hours, Nana pulled her hand out of his hold, quietly excused herself, and rushed straight out of the café leaving behind her purse and a very worried Mir. He expected her to be shocked or overwhelmed, but he certainly didn’t expect her to speed off like that.

He straightened himself and headed for the nearest shelter. He was deep in thought, trying to figure out where her girlfriend could be. She definitely won’t be heading home; her keys were in the purse she left in her haste. Certainly she wouldn’t have gone far. Nana hated being drenched by the rain. He decided to go back to the streets surrounding the café; she might have headed for an alley close by.

Was the shock far too much for Nana to handle? After all, her sister had been missing for seven long years. She must’ve been waiting to hear this news all this time. To say that Mir was bothered was a gross understatement. He constantly turned from left to right, scouring every street in the café’s vicinity. Finally, he found an almost deserted alley save for the lone figure who stood against a brick wall, shielded from the rain.

A sigh of relief escaped from Mir’s lips as he slowly approached his girlfriend. He was mentally kicking himself for being so stupid. How could he have missed this alley a mere three blocks down the café? But what really bothered Mir was that he had no idea how to tell Nana the rest of the story. Nana had reacted so violently towards his revelation; he couldn’t even begin to imagine how she would react to the next part of it.

Nana heard the footsteps slowly coming her way, knowing full well who they belonged to, but didn’t attempt to move a muscle. She needed all the time she could have to compose herself. Her boyfriend deserved an explanation Nana wasn’t sure she could give. Her mind was big mess of memories, all vying for a chance to reemerge, which made it impossible for her to think straight. She tried her best to suppress them but she knew she was fighting a losing battle.

 


 

A thirteen year old Nana was sprawled over the carpeted floor of a tiny apartment with heaps of paper scattered all around her. Her hair was held up in a messy bun, all greasy and unruly. She scratched her head for the nth time, completely at a loss. Math really wasn’t her thing and boy did she know it. She racked her brain, desperate to get at least one question right, only to have her train of thought interrupted by the sound of an opening door.

“Eonni!”  she called out.

Sure enough, a tall black haired girl soon emerged, closing the door behind her.

“Jinah, why are you still up?” she said, as she collapsed on the nearest chair. She stretched her long limbs, easing the tension in her joints.

Nana rose from her pile of sheets and pulled a chair beside her sister. “Math. Are you okay?”

Her sister smiled as she nodded. “Just a little tired from work,” she said, punctuating her sentence with a yawn. “Do you need help?”

Nana shook her head. “It isn’t due ‘til next week, I just wanted to get a head start.”

“My little sister sure is smart! You’re lucky you didn’t take after me.” The raven haired girl broke into another yawn and gently rested her head on the table, using her arms as a pillow.

Nana observed her sister, spotting bruises on the older girl’s arms. Nana also noticed that she had thick make-up on – something odd for someone who had a strong dislike for cosmetic products. She wanted to ask what was going on but decided against it when she heard soft snoring from the other.

Nana was incredibly grateful towards her sister, but at the same time, she felt bad for her. Her sister had to stop school so that she could provide for the two of them. Sometimes, she thought it would’ve been better for everyone if she just stayed in the orphanage. At least, she wouldn’t have to work herself to death to keep them both alive. But the older girl frowned upon the idea, often reprimanding Nana for thinking such foolish thoughts. “You aren’t an orphan,” she would say. “What am I? Chopped liver?”

Nana quietly stood from her seat, headed for their shared bed and took the blanket from it. Gently, she draped the cover on her sister’s sleeping form.

“Eonni, I’m sorry,” she whispered, before she went back to her thick mound of homework.

The next day, Nana woke up to an empty apartment. Her sister left a note on the fridge, telling her that she found a new job and that she would be out for the rest of the morning. Nana was concerned for her sister, she was sure she had at least three jobs at the moment, how could she manage four?

 She tried to look for a part-time job herself once, to help her sister out a little. But she got mad at Nana when she found it. She ordered Nana to focus on her studies instead and to leave everything else to her. And that’s exactly what Nana did; she earned honors left and right which made her sister incredibly happy. It was the only way Nana could give back to her sister so she made sure to never disappoint.

Before leaving for school, she made some soup for her sister, just in case she came back some time in the afternoon. After writing a note, she packed her things and left for school.

 


 

Before she knew it, Nana found herself locked in Mir’s embrace. He was cold and wet from running around in the rain but she didn’t mind. Instead, she wrapped her arms around the lanky male and buried her head into his chest. Almost immediately, the tears started to spill down her cheeks. She had no idea how she deserved a man like him, but she was so thankful to have him in her life

Mir held tightly unto her, occasionally kissing the top of her head as he whispered words of comfort. He didn’t press her for answers and she greatly appreciated that.

Nana began sniffing, slowly pulling away from Mir’s embrace. She looked up to her lover’s eyes and opened to speak, but darkness overcame her before she could even say a word.



---------------



A/N: I'm back with another update! Hope you guys enjoy this one. I kept on typing out "her sister" after, like, each line, I was sick of the phrase before I even finished this chapter. LOL. Anyway, I was watching Eru's White Tears MV a while ago, and I noticed the stark difference between blonde Nana and brunette Nana. Try it out yourselves. Watch In The Night Sky, then watch Eru's MV.

And for all Mir-Nana shippers out there, a little treat for you.



(I DO NOT OWN THE GIF ABOVE, FULL CREDITS TO WHOEVER MADE THIS ONE. IF THIS IS YOUR WORK, TELL ME SO I COULD CREDIT YOU OR SO I COULD TAKE IT DOWN IF YOU WANT ME TO. )

I can't wait to get my hands on my cousin's Adobe suite. I have to get started on the poster or this thing. And maybe make a zillion gifs from Idol Army. LOL.



PS: I'm thinking of writing another story. Mir-Jiyeon, maybe? I ship the weirdest couples. But it works in my head. I blame Invincible Youth for this one. Will you guys be reading that?