Imaginary Angels

Chosen

There was soft sand underneath Sehun's bare feet, and a wide blue sea that filled the horizon in front of him. He recognized it as a beach he used to go to when he was a kid, still living in Korea. He curled his toes, marking the sand beneath them, and took a deep breath, the smell of salty water filling his nostrils.

Sehun looked around, but in every direction the beach just kept going, endless. Waves crashed gently, making the sand wet. He approached the water in lazy steps; it was refreshingly cold as it hit his ankles.

“I can't reach the others.”

He turned around quickly, looking for the owner of the voice. There was a boy sitting on the sand, head resting on his knees and a pout on his mouth. His hair was blond and curly, and he had child-like features that fit his delicate body perfectly. The first thought that came to Sehun's mind was that he looked like an angel.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Luhan. It's nice to finally meet you, Oh Sehun.” The boy smiled kindly, standing up. “Though I don't know if meeting this way counts.”

“What?” Sehun blinked.

“I'll explain it properly when the time comes. Now you have to wake up. Tao is worried about you.”

“Wait-”

“Don't worry.” Luhan interrupted him, placing a finger on the boy's lips. “Mother is watching for us.”

 

Sehun woke up to the sound of an annoying beep. He couldn't quite feel his body, just a general numbness. He looked at Zitao with clouded eyes, without really seeing him, but rather a blur that reminded him of his best friend.

“Sehun.” He called. “Sehun, how are you feeling?”

Sehun blinked, and eventually managed to focus his view on the other boy.

“Zitao?”

“I was so worried.” Zitao's eyes became watery, and he reached for Sehun's hand.

“What- what happened?”

“You don't remember?”

“I... I was walking and then... there was a car...”

“You got hit, but it's alright. You've been through a surgery, and the doctors said you'd be alright.” The grip on his hand tightened. “Oh, right, I should call them.” Zitao pressed a button on the wall to call a nurse.

“How long has it been?”

“Just a day. You weren't in a coma or anything, you were just sleeping.”

“Oh, right.”

“I came here yesterday, but they told me I should go home because you would only wake up the next day. Your mother spent the night here with you, she left just now to get something to eat, since I said I would be looking after you.”

“And my father?”

Zitao remained silent, and Sehun felt the grip tighten again.

“At work, huh...”

“I'm sorry.” Zitao grimaced.

“It's okay.” He shrugged.

Sehun felt glad that Zitao didn't try to comfort him like every one else did. They both knew his workaholic father didn't care much about anything other than his job. His mother somehow managed to keep the family together until now, but their situation was far from good. The boy didn't feel he had the right to complain about anything, though, since his father worked so hard to provide for their family, in a way. Normally, people would say things like 'Your father is busy, but I'm sure he would be with you if he could'. Sehun dreaded that, because it wasn't even close to the truth, and those were just empty words of false sympathy.

Zitao was the only friend he had in China. The other kids at school avoided the weird Korean kid who barely spoke intelligible phrases, whose nervous lisp made it even harder to understand what he was saying. Zitao was also avoided, because he had gotten in through a sports scholarship, and that was a rich kid's school, so they didn't want to get involved with 'peasants'.

At first, their friendship was born out of lack of options, but they got along very well. Although they were both quiet at first, Sehun learned Chinese quite fast, given the incentive of being able to talk freely with his new friend. Now he was even trying to teach Zitao some Korean.

They only knew each other for a year or so, but it already felt like they were as close as brothers. Sehun could say anything to Zitao, and vice-versa. The boys shared their most personal thoughts, happy or sad, and they understood each other. Sometimes Sehun felt like Zitao was the only one he could really trust.

A nurse came in, and Zitao tried to take his hand away, but Sehun didn't let go. The other boy stiffened at first, but then he relaxed, gripping his hand again, with a fond look in his eyes.

“Oh, you're up. Let me just call the doctor.”

 

This time his mother was the one holding his hand. Zitao stood by his bedside, close to the doctor.

“You're a lucky one, that's for sure.” He said, looking at some papers through the glasses that were almost falling off the tip of his nose. “It seems like your head barely got damaged, so there was no risk of internal bleeding or affection of the brain. Your legs and your arm, on the other hand...”

Sehun grimaced, looking at the plaster casts that covered his limbs.

“But that will heal just fine in a month or so, you just have to stay in here in the hospital. Not the best way to spend your vacation, I'm afraid. We'll run some other exams later, just to make sure there's nothing wrong with your head. After you get the plaster off, you'll have to come back for some physiotherapy. Now, Mrs. Oh, if I could have a word with you.”

“Alright.” She said, squeezing her son's hand one last time before letting go.

“Well, this .” Sehun sighed.

“You're alive, so shut up. Besides, I'll come see you everyday to make sure you don't get too bored.” Zitao smirked.

 

Zitao stayed as long as he could, but he eventually had to leave. Sehun's mother wanted to spend the night there again, but he told her he was fine, and that she should go hope and sleep properly on a bed.

At night, he had the same dream. A warm breeze caressed his face and blew his hair. This time Luhan was standing by the sea, letting the crashing waves wet his feet from time to time. His blond hair shined in the golden sunlight. He turned around with a melancholic look on his eyes, but cracked as smile as soon as he noticed Sehun.

“Hello. How are you feeling?”

“Fine... But I'm confused.”

“About what?” He inclined his head.

“What's this place, exactly?”

“What do you think it is?” Luhan smiled mysteriously.

“This beach... I remember it. I used to come here with my parents when I was a kid.”

“Do you like this place?”

“Yeah.”

“Could you perhaps say that it's your favorite place in the world?”

“I don't know. I think, rather than my favorite place, it's the place I miss the most.”

They stood in silence for a moment, Sehun thinking and Luhan jumping over the waves.

“But this- this is a dream, right?”

“Well, you are sleeping indeed, but this isn't quite a dream. You would forget it otherwise.”

“So where are we? And, who are you?”

“Haven't I told you my name already?”

“Yeah, but, who are you? Are you my inner conscience or something like that?”

“Not really. I guess you could say I'm a sort of guide...”

“Guide? What for?”

“Something I'd rather not be a guide for.” He said, with a melancholy that didn't fit his image.

Sehun felt scared, but he wasn't sure why.

“Anyways, tell me more about yourself, I've been watching you from afar for so long, but I don't really know that much.”

“Have you been spying on me?” Sehun asked, narrowing his eyes.

“Well, kind of, but that's just because I couldn't go and talk to you in person.”

“So, is this, like, my mind?”

“I guess you could say so. I'm not so sure how it works either.” He shrugged.

“And it's a beach, because that's where I wish I were right now.” Sehun concluded to himself. “Can I change it?”

“I guess. Why don't you try?”

“How?”

“Just concentrate on the place you want to be.” Luhan smiled kindly.

He thought about the park he used to go jogging with Zitao, but nothing happened.

“Details, think about the details.” Luhan advised.

Sehun his lips, unconsciously. He tried to think about the green trees and the blue sky, the birds tweeting and the wooden benches. The view started changing slowly.

He looked around, marveled. When he turned to search for Luhan, he found the other playing on the swing.

“This worked really well.” He said mid-swing, grinning cheerfully.

Sehun sat on the swing next to Luhan, but kept still.

“Come on, let's see who can go higher!”

“Alright.” Sehun couldn't help but smile.

 

“Thanks for the ride, but you didn't have to come all the way here with me.” Sehun turned his attention from the TV to the door as he heard Zitao's voice coming from the hallway.

“It's okay, I wanted to.” He was with someone that Sehun didn't know.

When Zitao opened the door revealing a tall blond men with striking features, Sehun realized it couldn't be anyone other than Kris, the model coworker Zitao had told him about.

“Besides, I have to make sure you don't punch anyone else on the way, Kung Fu panda.” He smirked.

“Don't call me that! And I'm not usually violent, that was an exception.” Zitao held the door half opened, and Sehun could only see his back.

“Alright, I'm just messing with you.” Kris poked his cheek.

“Now, go away.” Zitao smacked his hand away. “You still have another photoshoot, right, captain?” Sehun knew where the nickname had come from, unfortunately.

“Ok, you killjoy. Take care.”

Before he left, Kris' eyes met Sehun's gaze. Somehow, he looked unfriendly.

Zitao turned around and smiled, instantly making his way closer to the bedside.

“Hey, you're up. The nurse said you'd probably be sleeping now, but I came anyways.”

“I don't do much else.” He sighed. “Was that Kris?”

“Yeah, he gave me a lift. We've been doing lots of works together. He told me it's because out images make an interesting contrast or something.”

“He seems... nice?”

“He seems like a jerk, but once you get to know him, it gets better. Well, not exactly better, it's more like you become able to put up with him.”

“What was that about punching someone?”

“Erm, nothing.” He said, looking at the plastic cup in his hands instead of Sehun. “I brought you some bubble tea.” Zitao smiled, but it seemed a bit forceful.

“Like you could fool me.” Sehun rolled his eyes. “Spit it out.”

Zitao sighed and sat on the chair next to the bed.

“You know that Zhang Yixing who ran over you? Well, he was here and you still hadn't woken up, and I was just, really mad, you know, so I punched him, I didn't even think about it. But I already apologized properly. He was actually worried about you, and I felt pretty bad afterwards.”

“Wow. I feel bad for him too, but honestly, I can't help but feel kinda grateful for this.” He smiled. “As long as you know it was wrong.”

“I know, I know. I'll never do something like that again, I promise.”

“Now give me that bubble tea.”

“Alright.” Zitao laughed.

Sehun drank and Zitao watched in silence, half listening to the sound of the TV in the background. Zitao didn't like bubble tea, for reasons Sehun would never understand or accept.

“You know, I had some weird dreams.”

“What kind of dreams?”

“Well, they're really realistic, and I can remember everything afterwards. There's a guy who said he's my guide, and he said something about my mother, but I didn't really understand that. He said it's not a dream, and that we're actually inside my mind. And I could change things, like, the landscape.”

“That sounds like one of those lucid dreams. But who's that guy? Is he someone you know?”

“No.” Sehun shook his head. “I had never seen him before. He said his name is Luhan.”

“What does he look like?”

“He is a bit smaller than me, and his hair is blond and curly. To be honest, he kinda seems like an angel. But maybe it's just the medication, you know.” Sehun shrugged.

“Hm.”

“Anyways, how's the top model life?”

“Don't say it like that, it's embarrassing.”

“Maybe when I get out of here I'll try it too.” He said jokingly.

“Hey, stop it. I also have something to tell you.”

“What?”

“I thought it would be better if I didn't say anything because it's so weird. I mean, not even I can really believe it but, there isn't another explanation.” He sighed. “Just, please, promise you won't think I'm crazy or anything.”

“Not crazier than I already think you are.” Sehun smirked.

“Alright.” He laughed. “You remember how I first met Kris, right?”

“Yeah, you said he fell into your balcony.”

“Right. He was pretty drunk and I couldn't understand why he was wearing a military outfit or why he was skydiving without pants in the middle of the night.”

“Even now I just can't buy that story.”

“The thing is... I didn't tell you everything.” Zitao bit his lower lip.

“There's more?”

“Yeah. The whole skydiving thing just doesn't fit, you know? I mean, he didn't even have a parachute, dammit. And when I looked at his shadow, I saw- I saw a pair of wings. I don't know if I was just seeing things, but, it seemed that way. And, the thing I hadn't told you... Well...”

“Just say it already.”

“He was going to fall pretty hard on the balcony. He would have died, you know? But he didn't. And that's because, just before he hit the floor, he stopped falling. Like, as if time had stopped.”

“What...?”

“I don't know. I don't get it either. But, I just turned him around and landed him down, and after I got away from him he started moving again, but this time he was moving upwards. Then he finally fell on the floor.” Zitao shook his head. “This is crazy. I don't know what was that.”

“That's... pretty weird. I don't know what to say.”

“Have I gone crazy?” He tugged at his hair with both hands. “Argh, I don't even want to think about it. Just forget I ever said anything, alright? I was still kinda sleepy, maybe I was just daydreaming.”

“Okay. If you say so.”

 

“Hey there.” Luhan smiled brightly. Sehun should be used to it by now, but he still couldn't help feeling a bit awkward when someone was so kind to him.

“Hello.”

“So, what will we be doing today?”

“Er... I don't know.”

“Why don't we go to Paris? I'd love to see the Eiffel Tower.”

“Alright.” Sehun shrugged. He closed his eyes and tried to remember the pictures he'd seen.

“It's so pretty here.” Luhan giggled.

And it was indeed. Luhan walked in little jumps and swirled from time to time, going down the empty streets of their imaginary Paris. An imaginary Eiffel Tower stood in the horizon, a huge metal structure shining in the sunlight. They sat on a bench, admiring the view.

“Now all that's missing is bubble tea.” Luhan sighed.

“You like it too?”

“Are you kidding me? It's like, the best thing ever. I'd give anything to drink it again.”

Sehun wondered if he could make imaginary drinks as well. And then there were two cups in his hands, pleasantly cold against his palms.

“Wow.” Luhan was actually clapping, looking unbelievably cute with his mouth opened in a surprised 'o'.

“Here.” Sehun handed him one of the drinks, feeling embarrassed for reasons he didn't quite understand.

“Thanks.” Luhan's lips seemed soft, pressing around the straw of his drink.

Sehun mumbled something that sounded like 'you're welcome', before resuming to drinking his own bubble tea. It tasted better than usual. He wondered if it was because it was imaginary, or if it was because he was drinking it with someone else. And then he wondered if it was because that person was Luhan.

 

Zitao kept coming everyday, and half of the times he did, Kris tagged along until they reached the hallway. Sehun was grateful, but he couldn't say that meeting him was the most interesting part of his day.

Every night he met Luhan at the beach, and every time he did, he found the other boy more interesting. He seemed so child-like in some moments, and so mysterious in others. But they got along very well, and Sehun was glad to make a new friend.

Zitao stayed less time now. He was busy and tired, and he would have another ton of things to do the next day. Apart from the modeling, he couldn't leave Wu Shu aside, so he had to cope the two activities.

But then, there was a trip. Zitao was going to be in a fashion show in Korea, and he'd be gone for almost a whole week. Surprisingly, Sehun himself wasn't so bothered by that as Zitao was. He wouldn't be so lonely. Now, he felt that he had made a new friend, somehow.

 

Sehun dreamed, for the most part of the time. He dreamed even with opened eyes; dreams induced by the drops of morphine traveling through his veins.

Luhan was always there.

 

-------////--------

OMG, I can't believe it took me this long to update.  X_X

Sorry, I haven't had much time to write. ;-;

I'm lacking inspiration these days... And this chapter is so lame, argh.

I hope I can finish the next chapter sooner. I have my ideas, the problem is writing them down...

Anyways, thanks for reading.