My Patient, My Love

My Patient, My Love (one-shot)

 

Xiumin is a nurse at Seoul General Hospital. He had been working there since he was 22, and at the age of 26, he still has this passion of taking care of people. It’s different feeling for him; to be the first and last to witness the beginning and end of life. It’s a different kind of feeling to be the one to open the eyes of a newborn and close the eyes of a dying man. He loves his work as much as he loves his patients.

“Good boy.” He complimented as Sehun, one of his patients, took his medicine. Sehun is a 7-year-old boy with a weak immune system. He practically lived in the hospital since he turned three and Xiumin feels very sad for him. Sometimes he would see Sehun cry because he’s not allowed to go and play outside like other kids and it would break Xiumin’s heart whenever Sehun is sad. So one day, he brought his nephew, Luhan, over and he felt as if he could jump off a cliff when he saw how happy Sehun –and Luhan –is.

“Hyung, when is Luhan-gege coming over?” Sehun asked. He calls Luhan ‘gege’ because the boy is Chinese. Xiumin is half-Korean and half-Chinese. His father is from Beijing and his father’s sister is the mother of Luhan.

“Soon Sehun-a, Luhan told me that he’ll visit you today as soon as he’s dismissed from school.” He beamed. “I have to go now Sehun-a, rest well and just wait for your Luhan-gege, arasso?”

Sehun shot him an adorable questioning look. “My Luhan-gege?”

“Neh, Sehun-a. Yours.” He replied and his heart skipped a beat when a shade of pink colored Sehun’s cheeks. ‘How adorable.’ He thought. He said his goodbye and left the room.

Time to go to his next patient, Kim Jongdae.

Out of all his patients, Jongdae is the most mysterious one. Apart from his name, age, and the reason why he's here at the hospital, he knew nothing more about him. Wait... there's another thing. Kim Jongdae is the one and only son of a rich, businessman. He actually felt bad for Jongdae because apart from him, he doesn't have any other visitors. His father would come by but only to check on his condition. The longest he had stayed was 30 minutes. 'He must be a very busy man." Xiumin thought once.

"Annyeong Jondae-a!" He chirped as soon as he stpped inside the ivory room. But as always, he didn't get a reply. He had been taking care of him for more than a hundred days but never once did he get a reply. And Xiumin practically knows the reason why. Jongdae got in a car accident and had been in comatose since.

Xiumin could feel his heart breaking everytime he steps inside and finds him still not yet awake. He prays and hope for Jongdae to finally open his eyes agian. Sometimes when he has free time, he would stay in Jongdae's room and he would tell him stories; as if he's concsious and listening. He had practically told him everything about himself; his family, friends, his non-existent love-life, his obsessions with Baozi, and sometimes his problems.

"You know... he prompted as he reached for a needle and took a doze of Jongdae's daily medicine, half filling the tube. "I think Sehunnie likes Luhan." He reached for Jongdae's limp arm and gently flicked it several times fot the veins to bulge out. He positioned the needle and inserted it accurately in the vein. "He blushed when I told him that Luhan is his." He pulled it out and covered the area that he pricked with an alcohol-damped cotton. "They're so cute!"

Silence.

He pulled out a monoblock chair and sat beside the bed. He propped his elbow on the matress and placed his chind over his hand. He stretched his free arm out and Jongdae's hair. "Jongdae-a, wake up soon, okay? So that I could share my Baozi with you, hn?"

He yawned. He was tired. His shift today started at 6 am. With tired eyes he glanced at the digital wall clock. 5:50 pm. It read. 10 minutes more and his shift will finally end. But he was too tired to go home. He laid his head on the bed and he feels his eyes closing. Moments later, sleep conquered him.

Xiumin awoke to a light poke on his cheek. He groggily opened his eyes. Poke. He felt it again. Poke. And again. Poke. Poke. Poke. He straighthened himself up and looked at the man lying on the bed. Looking at him. Looking at him. Looking.

"You're awake!.. You're awake!!..." He chanted. It was the only thing that his mind can register as a huge grin creeps on his face. He reached for Jongdae's hands and squeezed it between his own. "You're finally awake Jongdae-a. I'm so happy!" he said. He felit like crying. He heard a muffled sound and realized that Jongdae was tring to say something.

His mouth was slightly opened but no words were coming out, only faint sounds.

"Are you hurt, anywhere? Hungry?...Thirsty?" He inquired.

At the last word, Jongdae barely managed to nod his head but Xiumin caught it. He reached for a cup on the side table and fetched him a cup of water from the dispenser. He went back to him and s his arm around his neck, guiding him up. He placed the cup in front of Jongdae's mouth and he drank. He laid him down again. He called for Jongdae's doctor then he turned back to him.

Jongdae opened his mouth to speak. "Ba-.."

Xiumin leaned in closer since he cannot make out the word, until their faces are inches apart. "What is it Jongdae-a?"

"Ba..o..zi..."

His eyes widened in shock. So he had been listening! He can't explain what he's feeling at the moment. He wanted to jump and shout and dance. Jongdae's first words in 6 months is Baozi. His favorite food. It feels as if his heart would explode in joy. He gave Jongdae a quick peck on the lips. 

He pulled away, his mouth agape, bewildered at his previous aciton. He was about to say something when the door opened. It was Jongdae's doctor.

"I'll... I'll take my leave now." He said. He glanced at the digital clock agian. 9:28 pm. He slept for three hours. he was about to turn around when Jongdae's delicate fingers circled around his thumb, lightly tugging at it. (A/N: idk, I find this action so cute :DD) He gazed at him and his eyes were pleading. Pleading for him to stay.

 

 3 weeks later....

"Annyeong hyung!" Sehun and Luhan chorused as they stepped inside the ivory room.

"Hello Sehun and Luhan!" Chen replied, beaming. He looked at the older man behind the two children.

"Hey!" Xiumin greeted Chen as he strode towards him. Sehun and Luhan settled themselves ont he couch and cuddled with each other. The two older male chuckled at their cuteness. "How are you feeling?" Xiumin asked.

"I'm feeling better, thanks to you. But I want to be able to walk again." Chen's face fell. Most of his lower limbs were still numb and weak because of the accident and partially because he was in coma for months.

"Don't worry, you will Chen. You will." He said to lift his spirit up but failed. He hates it when Chen is sad. Since Chen woke up, he had been extra watchful of him. He sleeps inside the room most of the time and accompanies him even if he isn't on duty. It didn't take long for the both of them to confess their feelings to one another. Chen hesitated at first because he feels as if he's a burden to Xiumin but Xiumin insists, saying that he loves him no matter what. Surprisingly but not surprisingly, Chen remembers every story that Xiumin had told him when he was in coma. It made his heart swell in joy and love.

He glanced at Sehun and Luhan who were now munching on the Baozi that he brought. A smile graze his lips as he turned to Chen again.

"Wae?" Chen asked, noticing the creepy grin on HIS nurse's face.

Xiumin reached for his hand and interwined their fingers. "Don't lose hope, hm? You'll be albe to walk again, and when that happens, I'll take you out on a date. How does that sound?"

Chen flashed him a heartwarming smile. "Chinja?"

"Chinja!" He smiled back and kissed him.

"Lu-gege, I want a kiss too!" Sehun whined then pouted. "Ke yi ma?"

"Of course Sehunnie!" Luhan leaned in and kissed Sehun. "Wo ai ni Sehunnie!"

"Wo ai ni Lulu-gege!" Sehun replied and they hugged.

"Aigoo... these kids."

"They're so cute." Chen commented.

"Saranghae, Chen.."

"Nado saranghae...."

 

 

A/N HunHan is so effin adorableeeeeeeeeeeee. OMG.