A Trip to the Beach- Chapter One

A Trip to the Beach

 

Sunggyu had just moved out of his parents’ house a few weeks ago and all that he wanted to do this summer was to spend it inside his new apartment, making popcorn with his new popcorn machine that he got as a birthday present from his mom, and watching movies from his new TV while enjoying the cool air from his brand new air conditioner… He certainly did not plan to spend the summer driving a very not new van with a moody teenager in the passenger seat and five noisy kids at the back, but thanks to his stupid brother, that is exactly what he ended up doing.

His brother, Kyuhyun, works at Sapphire Angles Home for Boys, which belongs to his high school friend, Park Jungsoo. Every summer, one of the workers in the orphanage would take the boys to the beach, and this year, it is Kyuhyun’s turn to take them. Kyuhyun doesn’t mind taking the boys to the beach, in fact, he would love to do it, but due to some unfortunate circumstances, he had to pass this wonderful opportunity to his younger brother.

Flashback

“Sunggyu~ how are you today, dear brother? Do you want to buy some ice cream? I’ll pay!” Kyuhyun said cheerfully.

“Um… no thank you?” Sunggyu said suspiciously, Kyuhyun is not a bad brother, but he’s not a very generous one either, so it’s understandable for Sunggyu to be suspicious.

“Oh, don’t be so suspicious! I’m just trying to be nice!” Kyuhyun said.

“The last time you bought me an ice cream, I had to pretend to be a blind orphan that you ‘rescued from grave danger’ just because you wanted to impress Lee Sungmin,” Sunggyu said before rolling his eyes at his brother’s failed attempt at pouting. Lee Sungmin is the reason why his hyung had wanted to work at the orphanage. Kyuhyun has been madly in love with Sungmin ever since they met in high school and he had been stalking him ever since. Sungmin had been very persistent in rejecting Kyuhyun (you would too if you were the victim of his not-so-professional stalking!) but after Kyuhyun started working in Sapphire Angles Home for Boys, he finally, much to Sunggyu’s disbelief, agreed to date Kyuhyun.

“Don’t say it like it’s a bad thing! The plan actually worked, Sungmin finally agreed to go on a date with me!” Kyuhyun said with a smirk on his face,” this is just another proof that I am genius.”

“The only reason why Sungmin hyung agreed was because you wouldn’t leave him alone! And he probably felt sorry for you because seriously, who would want to date an evil stalker like you?” Sunggyu said as he rolled his eyes, even though it’s kind of pointless because no one can really see it.

“Aish! You’re lucky you’re my brother, I am THIS close to choking you with my bare hands!” Kyuhyun said as he squished his index finger and thumb together to emphasize his point.

“I have absolutely no idea what Sungmin hyung sees in you,” Sunggyu said as he once again rolled his not-so-visible eyes.

“Anyway, speaking of Sungminnie,” Kyuhyun said, deciding to ignore what his brother said, “We’re going on our first date tomorrow!”

Sunggyu smiled genuinely. Despite how he acted, he is really happy that Sungmin had agreed to date his hyung because a sad and desperate Kyuhyun is not a very happy sight.

                  “That’s great hyung! Where are you guys going to- hey wait a minute, I thought you have to take the boys to the beach tomorrow?” One look at his brother’s signature evil smirk instantly wiped the genuine smile off his face.

                  “OH HELL NO, HYUNG! I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER LOOKING AFTER STUPID LITTLE KIDS!” Sunggyu exclaimed. ‘I knew he wanted something!’ he thought to himself.

                  “Don’t be such a party pooper Gyu-gyu!” Kyuhyun begged, “This date might just be my chance to show Sungminnie what a great boyfriend I am! And those kids aren’t stupid! They all really look up to you. Don’t say that you don’t like them because I’ve seen you play with them, you love those kids! Especially that Woohyun kid,” his evil smirk returned to his face when he said that last point.

“Fine, I’ll do it, but only because I feel sorry for Sungmin hyung and the kids, NOT because I want to help you!” Sunggyu said as he slump his shoulders in defeat.

                  “THANK YOU SO MUCH GYU-GYU!!!!” Kyuhyun exclaimed as he hugged Sunggyu and jumped around like a fourteen year old fangirl that has been given free tickets to go to her favourite band’s concert. Once he realised what he was doing, he quickly stopped and Sunggyu tried not to burst out laughing at his brother’s red face.

                  “Ehm, pretend you didn’t see that,” Kyuhyun said as he fixed his shirt.

End of flashback

And that is how Sunggyu ended up in this unfortunate situation.

                  “SUNGGYU HYUUUUUUUUNG, ARE WE THERE YET?” shouted a very hyper Woohyun, earning a soft punch and a ‘SHHHH!’ from Sungyeol who was sitting next to him, he would have hit him harder if his favourite dongsaeng, Myungsoo, wasn’t sleeping soundly with his head on his shoulder.

                  “Almost, Woohyunnie,” Sunggyu said as he smiled. He absolutely adores all of the boys and he thinks of all of them as his little brothers, but he has a soft spot for little Woohyunnie.

                  “YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!” Woohyun shouted excitedly, which earned him a harder punch from a very irritated Sungyeol.

                  “SHUT UP WOOHYUN! CAN’T YOU SEE THAT MY POOR LITTLE MYUNGIE IS TRYING TO SLEEP?”

                  “YOU DIDN’T CALL ME HYUNG! YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO CALL ME HYUNG!” Woohyun exclaimed, “SUNNGYU HYUNG, SUNGYEOLLIE DIDN’T CALL ME HYUNG!”

                  “YOU’RE ONLY A FEW MONTHS OLDER THAN ME! AND WHY WOULD I WANT TO CALL YOU HYUNG? YOU’RE TOO CHILDISH!”

                  “SAYS YOU, YOU ACT LIKE YOU’RE A STUPID EIGHT YEAR OLD!”

                  “I AM EIGHT YEARS OLD!”

Before the two chodings could continue fighting, Sunggyu stopped the van and turned around to face them with a stern glare.

                  “If you two are gonna keep arguing, I’m just gonna stop this stupid van right here and we’ll have to spend the whole day here, staring at these boring trees instead of spending the day at the beach,” Sunggyu said, a hint of annoyance in his voice, “And look what you guys did! Poor Myungsoo and Sungjong are awake now!”

The two culprits looked at the two little kids who are wide awake now. Myungsoo just looked at Sungyeol with a confused face while Sungjong was pouting cutely.

                  “OMO, I’m sooooo sorry Myungie! You can go back to sleep now, I’ll cover your ears so that you won’t hear this stupid annoying tree,” Sungyeol said pulled Myungsoo closer to him to let him sleep.

                  “You’re shouting too, choding! And everyone knows that trees can’t talk, stupid!” Woohyun shouted back, more quietly, but still quite loud.

                  “Shut up hyung! I’m trying to sleep here!” Shouted the angry maknae.                  

                  “Oh my god! Even the maknae is disrespecting me now! SUNGGYU HYUUUUNG, EVERYONE’S BEING MEAN TO ME!” Woohyun said. The sleepy Sungjong just muttered “at least I called you hyung” before he leaned back into Hoya who has been asleep throughout the whole ordeal.

                  “SHHHHHHH!”

Everyone (who are awake) instantly closed their mouths and looked with wide eyes at Myungsoo who looked very irritated.

After everyone recovered from their shock, Sungjong went back to trying to sleep, Woohyun just kept staring at Myungsoo and Sungyeol smiled brightly and ruffled Myungsoo’s hair while Myungsoo just went back to sleep.

Sunggyu couldn’t help but chuckle a bit at the cute sight. It is very rare to see Myungsoo express any sort of emotion. He was the last one of the six kids to join the orphanage, and when he first came, he barely spoke anything and he was very expressionless. Sungyeol, who had instantly taken a liking to Myungsoo once he saw him, took Myungsoo under his wing and decided that it was his duty to teach the quiet boy how to express himself.

                  “Can we go now, hyung?” asked Woohyun, who had finally decided to lower his voice.

Sunggyu smiled sweetly at the boy before turning around and starting the van.

                  “Finally…” muttered the grumpy teenager who was sitting in the passenger seat.

Sunggyu turned his head to face Dongwoo before turning his gaze back to the seemingly never ending road.

                  “Don’t be so grumpy, Dongwoo. We’re gonna have fun today!” Sunggyu said in a quiet voice because all of the kids (including Woohyun) have fallen asleep.

                  “But I didn’t want to go!” Dongwoo said in a rather loud voice, but he quickly covered his mouth when Hoya groaned a bit from the back seat, “I was supposed to go on a sleepover at my friend’s house and we were going to watch Jurassic Park together but now I can’t go because of this stupid yearly ritual!”

                  “You know how important this is to the other kids, and it’s important to you too,” Sunggyu said. Dongwoo just kept on sulking, “and besides, I’m sure you can go on a sleepover with your friends some other time, and if you are that desperate to watch dinosaurs, just look in the mirror.”

Sunggyu glanced at Dongwoo again and he was relieved to see Dongwoo pressing his hand into his mouth, trying to contain his laughter. Most people would probably be offended if they were said to look like a dinosaur, but not Dongwoo, he has a very… peculiar sense of humour.

Sunggyu has more than once suspected that the teenager is bipolar. He can change from being the grumpiest Mr grumpy into the happiest human being on earth in just one second.

                  “When are we gonna get there, hyung?” Dongwoo asked after he calmed down, a smile still plastered in his face.

                  “Soon, but not quite, just go to sleep like the others.” Sunggyu answered

                  “No! You’ll get lonely if I fall asleep, I’ll tell you a funny story that Donghae hyung told us yesterday in the house,” Dongwoo said. Donghae is one of the carers in the orphanage, or as the kids like to refer to it, ‘the house’.

And so, Sunggyu spent the rest of the drive to the beach listening to Dongwoo retelling Donghae hyung’s so-lame-it’s-funny story.

 

~Author's note~

I hate grammar and grammar hates me... I'm sorry