Shopping Encounter

What Hurts The Most

“Goodmorning Paris!” She stretched her arms, closed her eyes, smiling from ear to ear. Everyone at the table gave her a questioning face. They were kind of used to seeing her weird acts everyday, but they think something about her is really strange right now.

 

She walked closely to an old woman dressed in all white and hugged her from behind. “Goodmorning Mother Superior…” She kissed her cheek softly.

 

“Goodmorning Lisa…how was your sleep?” The kind woman smiled back and led her to the seat right next to her.

 

“It was great…” Her cheeks blushed with thoughts of what happened in her dream last night. Jaejoong was a vampire in her dream. The hottest vampire she could ever see. It was creepy, but she smiled at the thoughts of him all of her blood until she laid her lifeless body in his arms. If only the nuns in the orphanage find out her filthy thoughts about him, they could have taken her inside the prayer room and lock her up ‘til she take those thoughts off her y mind.

 

Kidding aside, the nuns were the most kind-hearted persons she met in her life. They accepted her inside the orphanage though they weren’t aware of her family background or what she does before she decided to do volunteer activities. She’s been working there for about 6 months now as a volunteer teacher and a nanny for the abandoned kids. She considered them as her second family since her parents were always busy with work.

 

“Bonjour Teacher Lisa!” A cute little girl with blonde curly hair occupied the empty seat next to her.

 

“Emily! Why are you up so early?” She patted her head and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead.

 

“But I always wake up the same time each day to accompany you to the supermarket…don’t you remember?” She pouted her lips, with visible trace of milk between her upper lip and her nose.

 

Lisa wiped the liquid away off her lips. “Of course I didn’t forget…it’s just that…” Then she leaned forward close to her ear and whispered something.

 

“Sorry baby, but Unni feels really ecstatic today…that’s why I’m spacing out a lot…”

“Why?” The little girl whispered back. 

“Because I’m going to see my boyfriend …” She pulled away and gave her a wink.

“EH?? You mean that pretty guy on the big poster on your room?” Emily’s eyes brighten up.

“Ssshhhh…” she placed a finger on her cute lips. “It’s our secret…remember?”

The girl nodded happily and took another sip on her glass of milk.

 

“You guys shouldn’t be whispering in front of the table…” The resident chef came out of the kitchen and placed a plate full of baguette in front of her.

 

“Sorry about that…” She bowed her head and the nuns chuckled as she almost bumped her head on the wooden table. She’s always the clumsy type but they didn’t mind her craziness cause it adds up to the joyous environment of the institution. Then she lifted her hand to pick up a piece of bread but then a hand swatted hers before she could get hold of her first piece of food that day.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you that you need to wash your hands first before eating?” Sir Sebastian, the chubby chef in white apron, scolded her. He’s a man on his mid-50’s, a widower, with no children, a rock-solid and stern image on the outside but with a soft, caring heart on the inside. He prefers to be called Sir Sebastian with that perfect French accent and feels disgusted when people tells him that he has big, fat belly. ‘Chubby’ is the closest and gentler term to describe Sebastian’s physique just to avoid hurting his sensitive feelings.

 

“But I have washed it already before I came here…” She looked up and gave him her famous puppy dog eyes.

 

“Let her eat peacefully Sebastian…and if you’re done with the kitchen work, come and eat with us…” Mother Superior said calmly.

He took his apron off and sat quietly on one of the chairs. “By the way, here’s the list of the ingredients you have to buy…make sure to choose the freshest ones and use your charm to get discounts…” He handed me a piece of paper as I munched on a slice of bread on my other hand.

 

“Aish! When will you learn to eat without making any sounds?” He said, sort of irritated.

 

“Sorry…” Then I placed the list on my pocket and ate the gracious healthy foods set on the table.

 

****

“We’re leaving now….” She bowed her head and take Emily’s hand while they hopped and sang songs along the way. 

 

It was only 7am in the morning when they left. The market usually opens at around 8am while the walk from the institution to the market takes only around 30 minutes that is if she wouldn’t encounter a sick dog on the way or an old woman whom she’ll help to cross the street without thinking twice. That’s her daily routine. To do good deeds each day without asking for anything in return. But today was quite different cause she didn’t had the same encounter she has everyday. It was fortunate in a way since they have to make sure they’d be on the first ten of the line so they could get the freshest and cheapest goods right away.

 

As expected, few shoppers were already there when they came. She smiled as she and Emily squatted on the floor as they waited for the main entrance to open.

 

“Unni…so when is your boyfriend coming?” She asked out of the blue. Emily is her closest student and she treats her as her younger sister. Emily is pure-blooded French. That’s the only information they know about her. Her date of birth, place and even the identity of her real parents are still in question. If you’re wondering why she speaks Korean…Lisa is the one responsible to it. She taught her some Korean words and from then on, if they were alone together…she would call her Unni.

 

She’s 7 years of age, blonde hair, with sparkling blue eyes but speaks and thinks like an adult. She’s her accomplice whenever she sneaks out of some activities and watch the latest DBSK videos uploaded on the net. No one caught her in the act…and all thanks to the help of the little girl.

 

“I wonder if my hubby Yoochun oppa would be here too…” She mumbled. She calls Yoochun her husband, Junsu her boyfriend, Changmin her soulmate and Yunho as her Daddy…and for Jaejoong…hmmm…he’s off limits! The day when she saw Lisa marked his lips on the pc screen, she had given up the thought that Jaejoong could be his 2nd boyfriend cause she knows very well that her Unni fell head over heels with that pretty guy.

 

“The five of them will be here for sure…but if you ask me when could we see them? I would say, I don’t know but I wish we’re lucky today…” She messed her hair and the latter turned her head away.

 

“Do you really want to see him, Unni?”

 

“Yup, even from afar…I just want to have a glimpse of his face and see what he looks like in person…” She responded while checking the list given to her by Sebastian.

 

“And what would you do if you come face to face with him?”

 

“I don’t know…shake his hand, get his autograph, take a picture with him…” She paused for awhile. “Or maybe I would just stand there frozen…” She laughed at her own joke.

 

“BORING!! I would kiss Yoochun oppa on the lips when I see him…” She proudly uttered.

 

“EH???” Lisa’s eyes went wide open in shock. “Waeyo? I can kiss Yoochun oppa and girls wouldn’t get jealous of me cause they would only think I’m his little sister…” She playfully stuck her tongue out.

 

“Where did you learn those kissing stuffs, huh? You’re too young for it…”

 

“From someone who kisses Jaejoong Oppa’s poster before she goes to sleep and each waking mornings…”

Her cheeks blushed at the thought of kissing Jaejoong. It was true. She shower him with kisses every day and night and in the deepest section of her heart, she secretly wish that someday he will return those kisses. But she knew that it was not possible…so she decided to lock everything inside.

 

“YAH! That was…” She was about to defend herself from Emily’s teasing when the main entrance opened. Emily stood up first and held her hand out to help Lisa. But her legs that were crossed the whole time they were waiting became numb. As she tried to pull herself up, her legs were shaking and before she knew it, she lost her balance. She closed her eyes tight, anticipating for the pain that would hit her behind but it didn’t come. Then she felt arms wrapped around her waist.

 

He then pulled his hands away when he noticed that she already gain her balance back. “Thank you!” She uttered sheepishly as she turn around and face the man in red hoodie, stylish worn-out jeans, black Von-Dutch cap and a big sunglass that hid almost half of his face.

 

He nodded and walked away as if nothing happened. Another tall guy followed him from behind.

 

“UNNI! Are you okay?” She asked worriedly.

 

“Yup…Let’s go inside…”

***

“HYUNG!!! Why do we have to go here? It’s only 8am! We’re supposed to rest a bit more cause the next days we wouldn’t have time for leisure and sleep…it’s going to be work, work and work all day and night…” The younger male complained as the older seem to ignore his whining and started looking for ingredients on the fresh goods section.

 

“Will you stop complaining and make yourself useful? Get me four medium-sized cucumbers!” The older man yelled as he checked for zucchinis and carrots.

 

“Here you go…” He came back with four cucumbers on his hands and threw it carelessly on the shopping cart.

 

The latter smacked the younger’s head hard. “CHANGMIN~AH! Do that again or you will not eat breakfast today!”

“Sorry…” He apologized sincerely. “But Hyung, I need some rest…why didn’t you just wake Yoochun or Junsu Hyung up so they could come with you…” He muttered as he kept on yawning.

 

“Besides, you don’t have to cook…we could ask Manager Hyung to buy us food…”

 

“But I want to cook Bibimbap for breakfast! I hardly slept last night after the exhausting 12-hour flight…its kind of hard to adjust on the time difference…and the only thing that could keep my mind at peace right now is to cook Bibimbap! Now will you help me get the other ingredients so we can get home before the others wake up?”

 

“Sure Hyung…as if I have a choice, you owe me one…” Changmin sighed and walked to the other side to get fresh eggs.

 

“Carrots, cucumber, zucchini, soy bean sprouts, garlic, ground beef, Shiitake mushrooms, seasonings, Korean Chili Pepper paste and Changmin’s getting fresh eggs…did I forget something?” He mumbled to himself. “OH! SPINACH!”

 

***

“Emily, what’s the last thing written on the list?” She inquired.

 

“S-p-i-n-a-c-h…ewww…I hate it when Sir Sebastian put that green leaf veggie on the dish…”

 

“You know you should appreciate every dish Sir Sebastian cooks for us…he might be cold at times but he always make sure we eat healthy foods to keep our bodies strong…” I chuckled and dragged her to the green leafy veggies section.

 

“But Unni! Only Popeye gains strength from eating it! Besides, I don’t want to have muscles like that guy.” He pointed at the guy wearing a black sleeveless shirt with a red jacket wrapped around his waist.

“Sshhh…keep quiet! You know you’re being mean sometimes! Let’s go get the spinach!”

 

She stood at the spinach section and grabbed the last piece when a hand brushed on top of her hand.

 

“Sorry…” He pulled his hand out and lowered his head. “OH! Are you the guy who saved me awhile ago?”

 

***

‘Eh?? What did she say? Yoochun!! Where are you?’ He panicked. How could he answer her if his knowledge on English language wasn’t perfect? In fact he only knows a few words.

 

“Here you can have this last piece…a little appreciation for helping me!” She extended her hand and placed the spinach on his hand.

 

“Thank y-you…” He stuttered, not knowing what to say next.

 

“Are you an Asian?” She peeked a little under the cap but he pulled it down more.

“Yes…” He nodded.

“Korean?”

“Yes…”

“Oh…annyeong haseyo! I knew it…it’s alright I can speak fluent Korean language…I’m half-Korean…” She conversed in their mother language. Somehow, Jaejoong felt more at ease when she said she can understand Korean.

“You can take this…” He pushed the spinach back to her.

“Aniyo! You can have it…I knew someone who sells Spinach so I could get few pieces for myself…” She smiled sweetly. Suddenly, a hand pulled the hem of her skirt disrupting her conversation with the shy man.

“Let’s go home…I’m tired…”

“Oh sorry baby…okay, we’re leaving…” She patted a sweet kiss on her forehead.

“I’ll leave first…” She waved a hand at him and he did the same.

“Thank you for this!”

“No problem! And good luck with your Bibimbap!” She smiled.

“How’d you know that I’ll cook Bibimbap?”

“Intuition?” She shrugged. “It was nice meeting you…” She turned her back against him and walked away.

***

“Hyung, who’s that? A fan?” Changmin asked.

“Guess not, she didn’t recognize me but she’s Korean too…very nice and pretty…”

“Woah! Hyung! We’re not here to go girls’ hunting! We are here for WORK! Keep that in mind!” The younger patted Jaejoong’s back.

“I know…I know…but can’t you give Hyung a chance to enjoy my stay here? I mean it’s just two weeks…nobody’s going to find out that I’m dating if you keep your mouth shut…”

“Pathetic! Hyung, you’re hopeless! Stop toying with girls’ feelings! It makes you less of a man…” Changmin pushed the cart and get two bottles of fresh milk and two boxes of cereals.

“Whatever…just zip your mouth while I’m going to do my thing…Atleast my stay here wouldn’t be so boring…”

“Do your thing! I couldn’t care any less! Just remember that I won’t save your when they caught you red-handed!” He scoffed. “Besides…how can you invite her out on a date, when you didn’t even ask for her name, address or her mobile number?”

“OH SHOOT!!! I FORGOT!!!” He smacked his head hard.

“PABO HYUNG! PABO!!”

“I HEARD THAT CHANGMIN! NO BIBIMBAP FOR YOU TODAY!”

 

*End of Chapter*