Promise

First Love Turns Second

Jun Ho’S POV

 

“You’re not kidding right? I mean… you’re just messing with me right? We’re going somewhere else right? Jun Ho?” So Eun had repeated many questions ever since I met her downstairs at the lobby of my dorm.

 

I smiled at her dorkiness, “Look, So Eun. I don’t know which question to answer. One at a time. In conclusion, yes, I’m not kidding. I am bringing you to my dorm and in case you’re not fully awake, we’re already in the lift, going up to my dorm.”

 

“But… But…” She stammered and tugged my shirt. She never does. She must be really nervous to be tugging my shirt. Again, she continued, “You’re sure the other guys are not at home? What if they came back before I leave?”

 

“I’m sure. Taec’s out for a photo-shoot. Jun Su’s probably in the studio. Chan Sung is definitely in the gym. Nichkhun’s out for a CF shoot and Woo Young is doing his promotions at Music Bank!” I was amazed at myself, I could memorise their entire schedule.

 

We reached the doorstep and I opened the door to let her in. I frowned after seeing all the clutter in front of us, “Hey, I told them to organise their shoes!” I kicked all of their shoes to the side to make way for So Eun to go in.

 

She giggled at my attempt to do so and told me it was alright. She made her way in and saw the two mattresses laid on the floor, “Ah, so you’re not bluffing me. Chan Sung and Woo Young really sleep on the floor.”

 

I grinned and took her hand after putting her bag down on the sofa, “This is our kitchen… And that’s Nichkhun and Chan Sung’s room, Jun Su and ¼ of Taec’s room and there’s the first bathroom…” I continued as I brought her around the small dorm which did not need ten steps before reaching another room.

 

Moving to the last room, I smiled at her and opened the door, “Last but not least, this is my room.”

 

She walked into the room and glanced around quietly. Without hesitation, she pointed at the left bed and raised her eyebrows, “That must be your bed.”

 

“How did you know?”

 

She sat down on the bed and reached out the soft toy that was sitting at the corner of the bed, resting against the wall. She squeezed it and giggled, “Isn’t this Little Giant you had since you were a baby? I remember him!”

 

“Yah!” I tried to snatch the black cat soft toy with obvious pink cheeks and long tail away from her and pouted, “You promise to never tease me about him anymore.”

 

“I can’t believe you brought it to the dorm!”

 

“Little Giant has been with me since I was a baby, how could I ever leave him alone at home? Of course I’ll bring him whenever I go.” I explained as if it was not an embarrassing thing to do.

 

So Eun rolled her eyes and teased, “If only you were that loyal to me back then.”

 

My expression stiffened at the thought of their past. I tried to control my facial expressions but who could ever hide the pain of divorcing my ever so loving wife, misunderstanding her actions and the loss of our baby?

 

So Eun seemed to read my face and tried to lighten the situation, “Hey, hey, Jun Ho. I was just kidding. Don’t take it to heart.”

 

I knew she did not want any more apologies. I knew she was alright from all the past events since I was with her again. However, the burden could not be lifted off my chest. I touched her face briefly and said, “I have something to show you.”

 

From my bed, I could reach out to my drawer nearby and took out a box. It was sort of my treasure box filled with things reminding me of So Eun. It had a lock to it so I had to search for the key which was hiding in the midst of my clutter on the table. She seemed interested and I was nervous to show it to her.

 

I unlocked the box and it revealed many things given by So Eun. That included polaroids of us, our old couple rings (we changed couple rings almost every month thanks to So Eun’s fickle mind), candies she offered me but I never ate it.

 

She stared at the box and took out one of the couple rings that was too loose for her, “You kept all of these?”

 

“Yes.”

 

That was not the point. I was going to show her another thing. At the bottom of my treasure items, I took out a photo and gave it to her. She looked at me for a while and revealed the photo by turning it over. She covered and I could sense the tears coming out.

 

 “I thought… I thought I had lost this…” She whispered and gripped it tightly, “Why is it with you?”

 

It was an ultrasound scan of our baby at the clinic’s when So Eun did not have the miscarriage yet. I remembered we went there to go for the doctor’s appointment. I remembered how the doctor nodded and smiled saying we raised the baby very healthily and it was going to be a very smart and chubby baby. I remembered holding onto So Eun’s hand and touching the surface of her tummy, as if I could feel the heartbeat of our own kid.

 

I sighed and had my arm around her waist, “I found this in our room before I packed up and left the house, hiding in the midst of the books. I almost tore this apart but I couldn’t do it. It was the last memory of our child.”

 

So Eun just stared at me.

 

“I was so sure that you aborted the child so I was infuriated. I wanted the last memory of our child, thinking you don’t appreciate it, I took it away from you secretly and kept it with me since.” I told her truthfully and apologised, “I’m sorry for taking it without permission.”

 

So Eun took it and placed it near her heart, “I flipped over the whole room just to find this photo. I thought I lost it. I told myself how bad I am as a mother to even lose the ultrasound scan of my own child. I hated myself.”

 

Without a word, I gently placed my lips on hers and hugged her in my embrace. My heart hurt when I heard that from her. I had caused her so much pain and trauma. I expressed my desperation and guilt through this kiss and she compiled. She deepened the kiss and I did not hesitate to do the same.

 

After some time, she broke away from the kiss and we caught our breaths. I kissed her forehead this time and laid my forehead to hers, with our noses touching each other’s. I gulped and soothed her by caressing her back, “So Eun, let’s start anew.”

 

“Anew?”

 

“We may have lost everything in the past. However, I can promise we will start anew. This doesn’t mean we have to forget about the past. We learn our mistakes and start again.” I explained and cupped her face, “I still want to start a family with you.”

 

Her mood seemed to brighten up as soon as I said that. She blushed and stood up from the bed. She moved towards my bookshelf and randomly took out one book and flipped it, “Who says I want to start a family with you?”

 

“Who else do you want to start it with?” I asked in disbelief and ran over to give her a back hug. I smelt the fragrance of her hair and buried my head into her long hair, “I can imagine it already.”

 

“Imagine what?”

 

“Our family,” I said, “We will live in a house where we can call our home. Our first child will be a girl…”

 

She interrupted me and frowned, “Why a girl first?”

 

“Because I like girls…” I said cheekily and tightened the hug around her.

 

“Oh bother.”

 

“So our first child will be a girl and she will have your beautiful eyes while she can have my cute smile. I really pray she won’t get my eyes. I hate my small eyes.” I lamented and grumbled as she laughed at it.

 

She shook her head and faced me with my hands still around her, “But that’s what compliments your smile, isn’t it? Your smile is cute because of your eyes.”

 

“Oh, you think so?”

 

“Cheeky.”

 

“Oh I’m cheeky?” I smirked and started tickling her, “Maybe you like me because of my cheekiness?”

 

“Yah, Lee Jun Ho! Stop… Stop!” So Eun was laughing really hard but at the same time, she started to fidget and get away from me, “No!”

 

“Wait till you see what I’m capable of!”

 

Suddenly, I heard the door slammed very loudly and shuffles of footsteps outside my room. We both froze in position and looked at each other questionably. So Eun covered and hissed, “Who’s that? I thought nobody is supposed to be home this early!”

 

Before I could reach my room’s door, someone opened it.

 

“Hey! Jun Ho, you’re back home…” Woo Young showed me the boxes of fried chicken he bought back home and smiled until he saw So Eun hiding behind me, “Back home with a woman.”

 

I shut my eyes and So Eun did the same.

 

I had loads of explaining to do.