A Day Without You

A Day Without You

 

"I don't think you should go like this" was what Sehun said after a long silence in which Luhan packed his bags.

"Sehun" was the short answer Luhan shot without looking at the younger.

"You need to-"

"Sehun"

Sehun left silent as he looked at Luhan from his and Lay's shared room entrance.

"Look," Luhan rose up from his kneeling position, "It's going to be fine, really"

"No it's not" Sehun's voice shook a little. "What are you going to do a whole day all by yourself in China? Where are you going to stay?"

Luhan smiled at the younger's concern over him. "I'll stay at a small hotel, I've been there before"

Sehun shifted on his spot, head lowered and a large lump of tears is stuck in his throat. He tried inhaling and exhaling quietly, blinking away the tears which already reached his eyes and were threatening to give away his fake composure. He squeezed his eyes close and tried to breathe evenly when he felt pair of arms wrapping around his neck gently.  He opened his teary eyes to see a smiling Luhan in front of him.

"Don't cry, my little Sehunnie~" the older kissed his nose and caressed his neck soothingly, just like Sehun loved it.

"I'm not" Sehun bit his lower lip and clenched his fists next to his body.

Luhan then leaned into Sehun's crook of neck and inhaled the younger's scent. "I know" he whispered to the neck and kissed it tenderly again and again. "I love you" he then whispered again as if saying it out loud will make the younger run away from him.

"Me too…" Sehun wrapped himself around the fragile body shape against him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hello…?" a sleepy deep voice answered the phone on the other line, making Luhan smile.

"Sehunnieee~" he knew that will make the younger wake up.

"Hyung?!" Luhan could hear a thud voice from the other line and chuckled. "What was that?" he asked casually and took his luggage from the suitcase conveyor belt at the airport. "Nothing…" was Sehun's answer which made Luhan's smile go wider.

"Have you reched-"

"Yes I did." Luhan cut him off as always. "I'm at the airport but it's really late, just wanted to inform you that everything's okay"

"Oh"

 

Oh?

 

"Oh?"

"What?" Sehun sounded confused, or maybe just tired?

"What was that 'oh' just now? Is everything okay?" Luhan headed towards the exit.

"Y-yeah. I just…" he paused for a moment, "I hope you won't be lonely" he then whispered and Luhan smiled sadly, "I won't" he replied with a whisper as well, "I'll call you later, okay? Now go to sleep."

"Mm, love you hyung"

Luhan smiled, happily this time, "love you too" and with that he hung up.

 

 

The next morning when he reached what used to be once the place he called home, no one answered the door nor heard his knocking. He sighed  deeply and turned around in order to walk out of the yard only to be met with a surprised gaze of an elder man fixed on him. It took him few seconds to recognize the man, he haven't seen him in such a long time but seeing him again eased his heart somehow.

"How hav-" he tries to start but was cut off by an somewhat-angry "what are you doing here?"

He was surprised for a second by the hostility, "I-I just- I got a free day and-"

"And what" the man interrupted him again with the same voice tone making the young boy in front of him stutter once again, "I-I thought-"

"You thought you'll come here, after doing whatever you want and ignoring our words, and expected us to accept you back with open arms?"

The man's words were harsh for Luhan to handle, he bit his lip and breathed shakily, "How is mom?"

"You have neither mom nor any dad here" the elder spat the words toxically.

Luhan looked at him and tried to take in his face so he won't forget it, because he was not coming back here anytime soon.

"I'm sorry I came like this, please accept these" he shoved a small plastic bag with some of his mother's favorite sweets inside before the man in front of him could oppose and walked away from there as fast as he could.

 

 

When he sat at the last seat inside the bus he let himself exhale the amount of air he wasn't aware he's been holding inside. He felt as if he was saved from the hands of the kraken, to tell honestly. But he decided to let it go and use his free day for fun things. He already knew this is the way it'll turn out, he only hoped for a change.

 

He went shopping and when he sat inside a caffe he met a old friend so they chtted for about an hour until the latter had to go. He traveled around different malls around the city and drank some bubble tea on the way back to his hotel. The day was lasted for a long time in his mind so when he collapsed on his bed with a loud sigh he felt extremely tired. He then glanced at his phone, two more hours, which really meant one more hour because they needed to be at the airport an hour earlier.

He lied his head on the pillow and dialed Sehun's number, he promised to call.

 

"Hyung!" The maknae's voice sounded excited.

"Sehunnie~"

"How come you call me only now!?" Luhan chuckled as he imagined the younger pout.

"I had things to do." He replied with a smile, "oh, and I bought you lot of stuff!"

"Really?!" Sehun's voice was the only thing making Luhan happy at the moment, "only for me?"

"Well, no. I bought some things for Minseok too since he asked me too and the shirt Baekhyun wanted a long time ago, and-"

"So what's the big deal, I'm not that special in this case."

Luhan laughed out loud at Sehun's childishness, "you're impossible"

"Oh, by the way! Remember how Kris hyung was all upset he won't get to see his family?" Sehun suddenly changed the subject. "Uh yeah… even though he smiled as if he isn't bothered, you could still see he was hurt." Luhan remembered his duizhang's hurt eyes.

"Yeah, so anyway, we were about to have some lunch at the company's cafeteria after practice" He started, "and suddenly this tall, hot- I mean, nice looking, lady comes in and Kai whistles and drinks some cola and we all giggle. Then Kris hyung got up all surprised and… well, tall. And he was like 'mom?'" Sehun stops to laugh a little, "hyung! You should have been there! Kai was choking on his cola and own spit!" now he was loudly laughing, making Luhan laugh with him.

"That was hilarious!" Sehun called, "but seriously, Kris hyung's mom is really really tall. I guess he got it from her? And she's really good looking too!"

"Hot?" Luhan mimicked Sehun's previous description of the spoken woman.

"Well…." Sehun tried to avoid it uncomfortably, "…don't tell Kris hyung" he says in the end and makes Luhan laugh out loud.

"You're really impossible, Oh Sehun!"

Sehun laughed from the other line.

Kris' mom came for him, Luhan thought to himself and smiled. He was genuinely happy for his duizhang, knowing the hardships he's been through. But he couldn't help but feel a little jealous inside. And that's when he recalled today's morning happenings.

"Hyung?" Sehun asked from the other line and he couldn't be any further right now. Luhan felt tears coming out slowly and leave a hot trail on his face. "Hyung? Is everything okay?"

"…no" Luhan let out a silent whimper.

"Hyung" Sehun's voice sounded firm this time, "what's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"I-I saw my dad today-" Luhan paused to take breathe in order to talk calmly but it only encouraged his tears further. Sehun remained silent and waited for Luhan's words. "He said I have no parents anymore-" Luhan's breaths were becoming heavy, "he looked- so- so tired-" Luhan let the last barrier fall and sobbed into the phone as he rolled on his side and held his stomach while squeezing his eyes closed. "His stupid ego!" Luhan called out painfully, "I came- I came to see him after all this time-!" he let out a loud cry.

"Hyung" Sehun's voice soothed in Luhan's ears, "hyung, I love you."

That only made Luhan cry harder for some reason.

"I really do hyung, I love you very much" Sehun's voice stayed calm regardless of his anger or broken heart, "I want to hug you tight and make you feel like my arms are the safest place for you."

Luhan started calming down as Sehun continued this way.

"I don't know what exactly happened between you and your parents, but I'll wait for you to tell me. In the meantime, I want you to remember that although your father said you have no parents anymore," Sehun sighed, having a hard time to say the previous words, "you still have us, you have 10 brothers."

"11" Luhan whispered.

"I don't count"

"Why?"

"It'll be a little weird to kiss and hold your brother, don't you think?"

Luhan let out a light laugh, "are you really only 18?"

"Biologically" Luhan could hear the latter's grin, "when are you coming back?"

Luhan looked at the clock on the hotel's room wall, "I need to be at the airport in about 40 minutes."

"Sehun-ah" Luhan smiled as he let out the younger boys' name from his mouth.

"Hmm?"

"I love you"

Sehun smiled but then remembered Luhan can't see it, "I love you too hyung"

 

 

After another 10 minutes of small talk, they hung up and Luhan started getting ready to check out – collecting his stuff and putting (forcing) them inside the suitcase, putting his shopping bags together and checking he didn't forget anything behind.

 

He arrived to the airport before the other two, maybe because they have people to say goodbye to while I don't, he thought to himself but soon shook the thought off his mind so he won't drown in his useless sorrow again.

He was more than happy to see his bandmates arrive and step towards him with their parents. He bows to both of their mothers and they bow back with a smile. When they head to the plain, Lay asks him how he spent his time and Luhan tells him about his day. When Luhan doesn't mention his parents or family, Lay doesn't ask further and only shows Luhan what his grandma gave him for his long-awaited visit.

 

 

 

The whole flight Luhan sat next to the window quietly and stared at the skies, making Lay look at him worriedly.

 "Are you okay Han?" He asked when the plane landed and they were about to exit it. Luhan turned around, "Huh?" he looked confused. "You were quite the whole flight" Lay explained and fixed his bag on his shoulders.

"I'm fine" Luhan smiled at the thought of meeting Sehun and continued walking.

 

When he got inside the van with Lay he locked it, causing Tao standing in the heat outside and with a lot of screaming fans around the parking lot. He and Lay laughed all the ride back while Tao was pouting and mumbling something about 'wait till duizhang hears about this' which only made them laugh harder.

 

At their dorms parking lot the three of them hurried getting inside the building to avoid fans as fast as possible after this short but tiring trip.

 

Luhan entered the M dorms right after Tao, followed by Lay. But he only put his bag in his room and sprinted to the K dorm right next to theirs. As he entered their living room Kai looked at him from his video game and pointed at Sehun's room, "I think he just went out of shower"

Luhan smiled and stepped towards the maknae's room, not bothering knocking on the door and entering immediately. He stood in front of a surprised Sehun, who was all dressed up despite of his wet dripping hair.

"You're back!" the younger boy smiled happily and before he had the chance to step forward and welcome his hyung, he was already trapped between small but strong arms which squeezed his hips and a small nose taking in his own smell deeply.

"I missed you" Luhan whispered and kissed Sehun's lips softly.

"After only one day?" Sehun teased but returned the kiss.

"After only one minute" Luhan smiled into the kiss.

"I missed you too" Sehun said and hugged Luhan's small waist protectively which made Luhan feel safe and home.

Yes, this is home. He thought to himself and smiled as Sehun kissed his lips once again.

 

--

 

A/N: SO MUCH FLUFF OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE I BECOME?! (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻