Seer

Life In Pale Colors

Inspired by this edit.

 

When Seunghyun was young, he always wondered if he was different. Did everyone see things in the quiet of the night? Did the scent of a flower or the brush of silk against their hands plunge them into memories that were not memories, into visions of things long to come, into hazy dreams of futures undecided? He didn’t know for sure. He only knew that the other children called him strange, and their parents forbid them to play with him. But he didn’t mind - he doesn’t mind sitting alone in the grass, feeling the warm breeze on his arms, quiet and calm until flickers and flashes overwhelm him into whole other worlds. Worlds where he isn’t alone anymore. Worlds where there is always someone by his side. His mother frowns and brings him inside; she is afraid of what he is - of what he might be - but more than that she loves him and wishes she could protect him. And she does.

For a while.

School is easy when he doesn’t understand and doesn’t care, but as he gets older he understands, and it’s harder not to care. He’s afraid of what people will think more than anything -  he’s afraid, afraid they’ll mark him possessed, afraid they’ll lock him away when they can’t drive this power from him. But even afraid he can’t help moving on. Life continues whether he lives it or not and he wants to live it.

There are dreams, hopes, possibilities of a future he can barely reach - the one he’s seen since the very beginning. A simple thing really, to be brought on by the calm of a warm day - someone holding his hand, a smile obscured, a laugh warped and static but warmer and clearer every time, a future drawing nearer and he wants to meet it.

The night is dark and full of trembling nightmares when they catch him. They don’t know because it’s been years since he was young enough - foolish enough - to share stories with the other boys about what he can do, but they’ve seen his eyes go pale grey like fogged glass, they’ve watched and they’ve waited, and the outcast is the easiest to steal away from safety. And Seunghyun knows they’re coming and can’t stop them. It’s a beating he hasn’t seen but he imagines will last a long time.

But it doesn’t.

They barely get in a hit before the shouting starts at the mouth of the alley, before they’ve dropped him and run. And he’s shaking, rubbing at the bruise forming on his jaw, when someone reaches a hand to help him up. He takes it because it’s there - an offer of peace instead of pain - and instantly falls back into the dream. But now the sun behind his eyes is warm and clear, the hand in his is firm and strong,the smile he sees is sweet and kind and full of affection - and everything melts back into the alleyway as he’s pulled to his feet. The grin that meets his confused eyes is familiar and safe.

“It’s okay,” Jiyong says calmly, and his hand tightens around Seunghyun’s as if to reassure him. “You won’t be alone anymore.”