Becoming Human

An Angel's Wings

Kris placed Suho’s letter in his pants pocket and decided to explore his apartment more. There was a large dresser by the right side of the bed. It was made of some type of fancy wood that Kris guessed was expensive to humans. The surface was sleek and the intricate designs on the doors were a tell-tale sign that the dresser was handmade. Kris noticed how they were also drawers below the two doors.

Reaching out, Kris took a hold of the two handles and swung the dresser open. His fingers tingled from the cool sensation of the brass handles. It was an unusual thing to him since there was no difference between hot and cold, smooth and rough, or thick and thin back where he was from. There was only one uniform sensation. Only unity.

What Kris found when he opened the dresser awed him. There was an array of clothes of all different colors, materials, and sizes. He rifled through the dozens of shirts hanging off of hangers, seeing the patterns that decorated them or lack thereof. Kris guessed that this would be his wardrobe from now on and all his outfits would be picked from here.

Next, Kris grabbed a random shirt which happened to be a plain white t-shirt with the design of a dragon in black on the front. He threw this shirt onto the bed and closed the doors. Bending down, Kris began opening the topmost drawer and was greeted to the sight of a dozen pairs of pants similar to the black one he was wearing at the moment. These pants came in various shades of blue, ranging from a dark navy blue to a light cerulean. Again, Kris grabbed a random pair and threw it on the bed. The next drawer held what he presumed was undergarments to wear. Without much more thought, Kris took one of those too and chucked it carelessly onto the bed.

Even though it was nighttime still, Kris left the clothes littered all over his bed. He was an angel, he didn’t need to sleep. Instead, he spread his wings out as far as they could stretch without touching the walls. His wing span from tip to tip was approximately fifteen and a half feet. With a contented sigh, Kris flexed his wings back and forth creating a tiny gust of wind that blew the curtains on the window causing them to billow lightly.

Curiosity getting the better of him, Kris walked over to the window and peered out. All he could see was a small, square courtyard with one giant tree smack dab in the middle. Its large branches spread out and nearly touched some of the other apartment windows. Kris could already guess that during the day, the tree provided a huge amount of shadows to shield the humans from the sun’s rays. Tables were scattered throughout the courtyard with benches that were attached to them.

A lone figure caught Kris’s eye. The dark shadow was sitting by the tree, leaning against its sturdy trunk. With his enhanced senses, Kris could tell that it was a boy around the same age as Tao but maybe a year or two older. He had long legs and arms and Kris presumed that the boy was about the same height as himself. His light brown, curly hair gave him the appearance of a child or a puppy.

A slight movement in the corner of the courtyard instantly alerted Kris to the newcomer entering the small space. The familiar jet black hair told Kris that it was Tao. The boy slunk towards the other boy stealthily, creeping up on him until he was by the tree. Tao jumped out and startled his friend and Kris could see both of their lips curl up into grins.

Seeing their interaction sent a sharp pang into Kris’s heart as he was reminded of his friends back at home. It started to occur to him that he wouldn’t be able to see them until he could complete his mission. Although Yixing’s practical jokes and crazy antics annoyed him, Kris still enjoyed the company of his childhood friend.

Kris let the curtains fall, blocking the view of the pair of friends down in the courtyard. He trudged out of the bedroom, making his way into the main room of the apartment. To his surprise, there was an envelope on the coffee table. He was certain that the only thing on there before had been Suho’s note and there was no way he could have missed the envelope. Picking it up, Kris pulled out wad of cash, a card with his picture on it, and a black wallet.

“Driver’s license,” Kris read of the card. “But, I don’t know how to drive.”

Sighing, Kris shoved the money into the wallet and the driver’s license. He had no idea what he would need the money or the license for since he didn’t have a car and he didn’t need to buy food but he kept it anyways.

A clock on the wall told him it was about 11:30 at night. He didn’t expect many people to be out at that time but he would still have to be careful. Kris stuck his wallet in his back pocket and the key to his apartment into his other pocket. He exited his apartment and locked the door behind him.

Since humans couldn’t see his wings, Kris allowed them to expand freely maneuvering them so that they wouldn’t smack into any walls or other objects. Reading the signs, Kris started making his way towards the roof. His predictions were correct when he reached the rooftop without running into any humans along the way.

It was a good thing that he was wearing all black. It would help to conceal him as he flew through the dark night sky. Before he lifted off, Kris stood on the edge of the roof with his eyes closed and his arms spread out. A light breeze caused his hair to sway gently and it brushed against his face. Kris took in all the sensations around him like the sounds of the cars driving by down below, the cool temperature of the night air, the smell of an approaching thunderstorm. His eyes opened slowly and he jumped into the air, his wings gracefully unfurling their full length and pumping up and down to propel him upwards.

Throughout all the time he had spent in the human world, which wasn’t very long, Kris finally felt truly blissful and at peace. The wind beneath his wings, the acceleration of his heartbeat as he soared higher and higher into the air and through the clouds was completely and totally joyful for him. Flying in Heaven wasn’t like this. There were no clouds and the air felt the same wherever he went. But here, in the human world, Kris could experience so many different sensations just from taking off.

When he actually started flying forward, Kris couldn’t help but laugh out loud. His wings moved at a steady rhythm as he raced through the sky. Then, in an instant, he shifted himself and darted straight up in the air. Kris saw the moon glowing brightly in the sky and wondered if he could touch it if he flew high enough.

He had a feeling that he would have to fly for a while before he reached it so instead, he leaned back until his head was pointed at the ground and his feet were up in the air. Kris folded his wings in and began to free fall towards the ground, his speed increasing at an alarmingly fast rate. He knew that there was no one down below to see him since he had flown away from the busy city.

Just as he was about to hit the ground, Kris’s wings snapped open and halted his fall. With a couple pumps of his wings, he was up in the air again. He flew around for a while longer until he saw the sun coming up on the horizon, then he returned to his apartment. To those who had looked up at the night sky and had managed to catch a glimpse of him, Kris had merely been a black shadow soaring through the night. Now, he was back in his apartment, no longer the free angel he had been last night but an angel in disguise stuck in the world of humans.

---

Kris took his first shower in the human world, shivering from the air conditioning as he stepped out with a towel wrapped around his waist. He wouldn’t have taken it in the first place but his entire body felt itchy and he guessed it was from lying in the grass yesterday. Kris wondered how humans could deal with showering every day because quite frankly, to him at least, it was a bother.

Kris began getting dressed, picking up the clothes that were still strewn on the bed. He hadn’t slept at all. He didn’t need to nor did he want to. Once he was fully dressed, Kris took the towel he had and roughly dried his hair not caring that water was still dripping from the strands and falling on his shoulders.

There was a knock on his door, short yet loud. Then, as Kris made his way to the door, there was more knocking. This time it was rapid but just as loud. The knocking didn’t stop until Kris threw open his door with a less than friendly look on his face. The culprit who had been knocking stopped abruptly and laughed sheepishly having been caught in his mischievous actions. Kris recognized him as the boy sitting under the tree yesterday and was pleased that his estimations were correct when he saw that he boy was about eye to eye with him.

“Chanyeol! I told you to stop. He’s angry now,” Tao muttered. He had been standing behind Chanyeol and Kris could barely make out his black hair from where he was. “Sorry about that. My friend is a little hyper sometimes…or all the time.” Tao smiled and scratched the back of his neck with an embarrassed look on his face. “Apologize,” he snapped sharply under his breath as he whacked Chanyeol in the back.

“Sorry,” Chanyeol said ungraciously without a hint of shame for his actions. He had a wide grin on his face that seemed to be placed their permanently. “I was just excited to meet Tao’s new friend.”

“It’s alright,” Kris replied simply. He couldn’t tell if he would like Chanyeol or not. He resembled Yixing in the way that they were both nuisances to their friends.

“I like your shirt,” Chanyeol said randomly. “Dragons are cool.”

Kris was puzzled by Chanyeol. He didn’t know what to expect from him. But, he nodded in thanks anyways. Tao chuckled and shook his head at his friend’s childish enthusiasm.

“Chanyeol has ADHD,” Tao explained. Chanyeol nodded quickly and then turned his attention to the pair of people coming up the stairs towards them. If possible, the grin on his face grew even wider. He waved at them and jumped up and down excitedly.

“Soojin noona! Baekhyun hyung! Hi!” he hollered at them even though they were three feet away. The girl’s name sounded familiar to Kris so he turned his head to look at her. He had only seen her once when he had caught Suho watching the human world. It was undoubtedly the girl that Suho had lost his wings for. Kris didn’t understand why though, there didn’t seem to be anything special about the girl.

“Chanyeol, how have you been? It’s been a while,” Soojin responded calmly.

“I’ve been great! How about you and Baekhyun hyung? Baekhyun hyung, did you propose yet?” Chanyeol blurted. He realized his mistake and slapped his hand over his mouth. Baekhyun’s jaw hung open and he was glad that Soojin couldn’t see him. His cheeks turned ruby red and he sent Chanyeol a murderous glare.

“Propose?” Soojin asked.

“H-he was just saying random things like he usually does,” Baekhyun said quickly as he placed a hand on Soojin’s shoulder.

Kris automatically noticed the disappointment slump of Soojin’s shoulders. Baekhyun noticed too and he moved quickly to comfort his girlfriend. “Don’t worry, Soojinnie. That day will come. But it’ll be when you least expect it,” he murmured in her ear. She giggled and reached for his hand, squeezing it tightly when she found it.

“Anyways, who’s your friend?” Soojin asked shocking Kris with her ability to sense him even though she couldn’t see. She held out her hand and Kris knew what to do this time. He gently shook her hand and smiled softly.

“My name is Kris.”

“It’s nice to meet you Kris. I’m Soojin,” she replied with a smile of her own.

“And I’m Baekhyun. Her boyfriend,” Baekhyun said as he held out his hand. He didn’t say it in a defensive way since part of him could tell that Kris had no intention of hitting on his girlfriend.

“Nice to meet you.” They shook hands but didn’t say more than that.

“Hey, Kris. Why don’t you hang out with us today? You just came from America right? So you probably don’t have any friends yet,” Tao suggested.

Kris was about to reject the offer and focus on his mission but he soon realized that he had no clue on how to start his mission. He was supposed to help someone in this world but he had no idea who. It occurred to him that maybe going out with Tao and his friends would be a good way to search for this mysterious person he needed to find.

“Yes. I’ll hang out with you guys,” Kris responded. Chanyeol burst out in a fit of laughter and clapped a hand on Kris’s shoulder.

“No need to be so uptight. Relax! Loosen up a little,” he said. One corner of his lip twitched up into a half maniacal and half cheeky smirk. Then, he started skipping towards the stairs on his own. Tao sighed but followed him anyways, Soojin and Baekhyun trailing along as well.

Stunned for a second, Kris shook his head and put on a poker face. He had a mission to do and he couldn’t be distracted by humans with attention problems. Kris’s long strides helped him catch up to the others in no time and Tao greeted him with a tiny smile.

“I’m glad you’re coming with us. We’re going to see a movie and then we’re going to have lunch at the bistro Baekhyun works at. It’s gonna be a lot of fun.” Kris could see the excitement in Tao’s eyes as he spoke and he felt himself anticipating what was to come too. He quickly shoved that anticipation into the deep recesses of his heart. He couldn’t get excited over human activities.

He was an angel. Not a human.

---

At the movie theater, Kris sat in between Tao and Baekhyun. Chanyeol sat to the right side of Tao and Soojin sat on the other side of Baekhyun. Chanyeol held a large bucket of popcorn in his lap which he happily ate from, occasionally allowing the others to grab a handful for themselves.

When Tao passed the bucket to Kris, he refuses. He still isn’t sure whether or not he could stomach human food and he was also slightly nervous of how it would taste. From the way that Chanyeol gobbled down the popcorn like a starved animal, Kris guessed that it must be good but he still didn’t want to try.

The movie started and all the noise in the theater ceased except for the sounds coming from the large speakers. According to Tao, this movie had come out two years ago but the theater was playing it for some special reason that Kris didn’t bother to remember. Although he hated to admit it, Kris was slightly curious as to what this movie was all about.

At first, he had no idea what a movie was. When he had asked the others, it had earned him uproarious laughter from Chanyeol and astonished looks from the other three. Tao was kind enough to explain to him while Chanyeol never ceased his laughing. Kris had held in his embarrassment, making a mental note to study up on human life later. He had also remembered that he never did find out where and what America was.

Kris was pulled out from his thoughts when the lights dimmed and the movie started playing. The setting was a barren forest, the trees had no leaves, and everything was dark and muggy. It looked like ashes were falling from the sky. A man in a mask crouched in waiting with a bow in his hand. A hairless cat stalked by, it was so skinny that its bones were showing through its skin. Then, the arrow was released and it pierced through the cat.

Kris soon found himself getting more and more intrigued by the movie, always wondering what would happen next and anticipating the protagonists’ next moves. By the end, he admitted that he had enjoyed the movie and hoped to see another one soon.

The five of them head out of the theater after the movie and Tao is left complaining because Chanyeol had fidgeted in his seat the entire time. “You kept on moving around and poking me! I could barely concentrate,” Tao snapped.

Chanyeol’s lips curled up into his infamous grin and he jumped in the air. “Sorry! I can’t help it,” he said giddily. “It was a good movie though.”

“Really? Too bad I can’t say the same thing,” Tao growled through clenched teeth.

His response is ignored by Chanyeol who is now in the lead, pointing forward with an ecstatic grin. “Let’s go to the bistro!” he cheered.

Baekhyun didn’t look nearly as thrilled as Chanyeol did. “I really hope Luhan isn’t working. He’ll just bug the hell outta me,” he groaned while slapping a hand over his face. Soojin squeezed his hand and beamed up at him.

“I’m sure he won’t tease you too much,” she said gently. Soojin’s head turned towards Kris and again he was stunned that she could tell where he was. Soojin leaned up on her tiptoes to whisper something in Baekhyun’s ear. He nodded and let go of her hand, picking up his pace to catch up to Tao and Chanyeol who were having their own conversation. She walked over to Kris.

“You don’t have to hold my hand but just be prepared to catch me if I fall,” she said with a light smile on her face. Kris responded with a quiet, “yes”.

“You’re different, aren’t you?”

Kris was taken aback by her sudden, blunt question. “What do you mean by ‘different’?” he asked uneasily.

“You’re like Suho.”

“How did you know that I knew Suho?”

“I just do. You’re both similar. When I first met Suho I knew he was different from regular people. I got that same feeling from you too,” Soojin replied. They spoke softly so that no one could overhear them.

“So, you’re different right?” she asked again.

“Yes. I am,” he responded tersely. Kris was beginning to believe that since God didn’t give Soojin sight, he gave her other gifts to make up for it. Her ability to sense things was amazing. Kris had never seen anything like it before.

“Although you’re…a bit more different I guess,” Soojin speculated. “Suho was more humanlike than you are no offense.”

“I know. Suho was always like that,” he replied.

Their conversation ended abruptly when Chanyeol burst into loud cheers. “Woohoo! It’s the bistro! Food!” he exclaimed with all the enthusiasm in his tall, lanky body. Soojin chuckled and smiled brightly.

“That’s my brother. Always loud and cheerful,” she said. “Although his enthusiasm is contagious. Like he’s a happy virus.”

Kris wasn’t sure he agreed with that phrase but he laughed along anyways. “I guess so.”

Turns out that Baekhyun’s fears came true when he saw Luhan standing at the host’s podium. A sinister grin that didn’t seem to fit his cute face curled up on his lips. Baekhyun let out another devastated groan.

“Why hello there, Baekhyun. You’re having fun while I’m stuck at work, aren’t you?” Luhan said with mock pleasantness. “Table for five? Right this way.”

Luhan grabbed five menus and brought them to a table. He placed them down gracefully and Baekhyun almost thought that he was safe. However, when Baekhyun was about take a seat after helping Soojin, Luhan pulled his chair out and Baekhyun’s bottom hit the floor.

“Ow, what the hell? Luhan!” Baekhyun shouted furiously. Tao and Chanyeol cracked up, laughing like there was no tomorrow. Luhan smiled devilishly and walked away, leaving Baekhyun steaming with rage. His girlfriend giggled lightly while she held out her hand to help him up. Watching all of this, Kris felt his lips tugging up into a smile.

Then, a heavenly voice floated into Kris’s ears yet it sounded familiar at the same time.

“Hello, my name is Kang Eunra and I’ll be your waitress today.”

When he looked up, his heart skipped a beat and he had no idea why. The girl who had been standing on his wing yesterday now stood by the table with a smile on her face. Kris thought that she looked much prettier when she wasn’t angry and yelling snarky comments at him. Her voice sounded much sweeter than before.

Kris was confused, worried, and panicked. He was an angel. Angel’s hearts weren’t supposed to beat faster for a human. Angel’s weren’t supposed to think a human looked beautiful. Angel’s weren’t supposed to find the sound of a human’s voice pleasant. Because Kris knew what that all leaded up to. And he knew the consequences were worse than death.

But, Kris had started feeling like he wasn’t an angel that day. He had watched a movie like humans did. He had gotten embarrassed like humans did. He had laughed at a joke that humans found funny. He had been accepted into a group of human friends.

Now, Kris was faced with the cold truth in front of him. As much as he didn’t like it, as much as he feared it, he was becoming “human”.

---

Hello, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's almost 4,000 words long lol Anyways, there is only one more chapter after this probably so I'll try to get that one done soon. Thanks so much for reading! :)

Also, if you don't know what ADHD is, you can either google it yourself or check out this page.

Gif cr: [email protected]