The Usual?

The Usual?

 

“Next!”

You quickly stepped forward, looking at the choices above.

“Hi ma’am!”

The cashier said, as you were still choosing what to buy. You paused and looked at the cashier and smiled at him. You grew a little shy noticing that he looked almost the same age as you, quite handsome along with his childish smile.

“I would like...mocha frap with extra whip cream please.”

You took out your pink wallet and gave him a bill. He smiled again, opening the cash register and giving you the receipt. He then gestured you to wait for the order and called out the next customer.

“ONE MOCHA FRAP WITH EXTRA WHIPPED CREAM FOR JUNGHEE!”

The same boy was holding your drink. You gave the receipt to him as he gave the drink and a quick grin. He then went back to the cashier to entertain more customers. You sat back with your friend, Eunmi who was browsing through her planner.

“Aren’t you gonna get something to eat or drink?”

You asked her as she fixed her glasses and continued to scribble on her planner. You looked around, observing the unique paintings on the wall and some odd decorations. You and Eunmi were new to the place. After passing by it almost everyday, you’ve both decided to check it out for once.

“Nah, I’m good.”

You shrugged and drank your mocha frap quietly. Minutes later, Yunhee arrived and sat down next to you, taking out her phone and opened a photo.

“Hey.”Yunhee said making Eunmi turn away from her planner.

“Guess what, prom’s coming. Here’s the theme.”

Little Hollywood | The night when everyone is a STAR. | Juniors Prom 2012

“Oh…great.” Eunmi said with a monotone voice and a pair of quite droopy eyes.

She then rested her forehead on her arms and took a nap, the way she always does whenever she finds the topic boring or she’s just too sleepy.

You looked at the picture and sighed.

“Who the hell would ask US to the prom?” You chuckled, looking at the picture.

It was your first prom but you weren’t in any way interested to go. Besides, You and Eunmi would find shopping for gowns and shoes expensive and boring. Yunhee would think otherwise, but in the end, she would agree that it really is expensive.

“I don’t know but, I’m going.” Yunhee said and kept her phone.

Eunmi sat up straight, shocked by Yunhee’s statement.

“WHY?!” Eunmi asked.

“Because of the damn food… maybe a little of the music, but I will go there for the expensive and delicious food.” Yunhee answered and smiled. Eunmi had a sudden big grin on her face, signalling that she agreed to the idea.

“OH YEAAAAAAAH, but we still have to shop for the gowns and stuff.” 

“Hmm. I’ll think of shops where we could find cheap but expensive looking gowns.”

You listened to the two of them talking and you started to daydream about the prom.  The gown you wore was beautiful, midnight blue with a touch of glitter on the chest. Your shoes looking expensive in silver straps and 4 inch heels.  And your mystery date, wearing a blue necktie with a black suit. He gently smiled and took your hand then led you to the dance floor. As you were distanced inches from him, you see his sparkling eyes staring at you as if you were the only one there with him.

“Leggo!” Eunmi said and stood up quickly. You snapped out of it as soon as she tapped the table with her hand and got up. She wore her backpack and waited for you and Yunhee to get going.

“So it’s final, we’re going.” Yunhee added.

“We are?” You asked, quite confused. Yunhee nodded and chuckled at your confused look.

“Yes we are, we’ve got about a week before the prom actually so by tomorrow we need to look for something to wear and NOT look stupid on that very “special” night.” Yunhee told you and started walking out of the café.

You glanced at the busy boy that handled your order a while ago. You gave out a little smile. He then glanced at you back and tilted his head a bit but smiled back at you. You didn’t notice until his smile grew a little bigger. You had a little blush on your cheeks and walked faster to catch up with your two friends.

“Junghee!” Eunmi called, clumsily running after you. You stopped and smiled, waving at your friend. Eunmi smiled as well but was quite in a hurry.

“Let’s go meet up at that new café with Yunhee after classes okay? She already designed gowns for the three of us. So yeah, that’s all gotta go bye!” Eunmi quickly disappeared and you parted ways.

Hours later, you came to the café looking for Eunmi and Yunhee. They were at the very back where the couches were located.

“OH THERE YOU ARE!” Yunhee said, excitedly showing you the design she made. You smiled and sat down next to her. The gown Yunhee designed was exactly the one that you daydreamed about. Blue, elegant and a bit sparkly on top. The three of you talked about the designs and eventually agreed on to having customized gowns since you’ll be having discounts. After that, you checked out Yunhee’s sketch book and flipped the pages to view her designs. They were all pretty but you seemed to be attached to the blue one that you were about to wear at the prom.

“Oh! My order.” Yunhee said as she watched the employee lay down the tray and placed the drink on the table.

You looked up and it was none other than that same boy you couldn’t stop staring at the first time you came in. Just yesterday, you ordered the same mocha frap with extra whipped cream to him as well. You wondered if he owned the café or something. His name tag was seen from where you’re seated at. “Kyungsoo…So that’s his name.” He quickly went to other tables and gave out the drinks. You were still observing him, this time a bit more carefully you are aware that he would eventually notice.

“Awww. Did you see that dude who gave your drink? He’s so cute.” Eunmi squealed and gestured that she wanted to pinch the boy’s cheeks.

“His name’s Kyungsoo.” You said. Yunhee didn’t even bother to enter the topic.

“Kyungsoo-ah!” Eunmi shouted. She caught Kyungsoo’s attention. He walked up and politely asked if Eunmi wanted anything. She couldn’t even talk and hid behind Yunhee. She glanced at Kyungsoo and then glanced at you. With that, Kyungsoo stared at you as well making you blush unintentionally.

“Uh..Uhh.” You stuttered, trying to organize your thoughts and come up with a question.

“Yes ma’am?” Kyungsoo patiently waited for your order.

“Do you happen to have a nickname or, is it really Kyungsoo?”

He paused and chuckled at the question, looking down shyly. Eunmi and Yunhee started to giggle and tried not to laugh. You were quite embarrassed but still looked at Kyungsoo, smiling as if she thought about her question well.

“Well, uh..I do have a nickname. It’s D.O.”

“D.O.?” Yunhee asked, looking at Kyungsoo.

“DEE OWH!?” Eunmi added.

Kyungsoo or D.O., nodded. You sensed that an awkward silence was about to begin, you threw another question to him.

“Where do you happen to study?”  Eunmi widened her eyes to your question.

“Uhm just a couple of blocks away..but I attend classes at night because I have work.” He added and smiled. Yunhee grinned realizing that the only school that was a couple of blocks away from the café is your school.

“WAIT! That’s where we study too! Are you a junior as well?” Yunhee asked curiously.

“Yes, I am.”

“Then you’re…going to the prom?” You asked.

“Do you have a date?” Eunmi added.

“…” He didn’t give an answer.

“Sorry.” Eunmi said leaning to her seat.

“No, it’s okay. Ah, I’ll go if I find a date. If I don’t then, I’ll just work.” He said, smiling at the three of you.

“Uh. Well it was nice meeting you..uhh. Can I get your names?”

“Yunhee.”

“I’m Eunmi!” Eunmi stands up and shakes his hand excitedly.

He turned to you and as he did, you noticed his eyes, round and sparkly like that of the guy that you daydreamed about. You also noticed his hair, his quite thick lips and perfectly shaped nose. But before you could even start to space out, you said:

“Junghee..” Smiling at D.O. as he smiled back. He stared at you for quite a time as much as you did then snapped out of it a bit quickly.

“Oh, I gotta get back to work! I’ll see you around!” He grinned and returned to the counter. At that moment, you’ve come up with a conclusion that you have a crush on him.

The next day, you went to the café alone, after classes just to buy a drink before going home. Not much customers were there and as always, D.O. welcomed you with a big smile. You smiled back and went to the counter to order.

“The usual?” He asked, grinning.

“Yes, please.” You giggled at the fact that he already knew what you usually ordered. You waited at your table since he told you that he'd be serving the drink. 

Since there weren't much people around, you could actually hear D.O. singing while preparing your drink. His voice was beautiful and if you could just turn off the cafe music and listen to his voice, you would do so.

Just minutes after, he came out with your drink and served it on your table. He looked at you and smiled. You couldn't help but blush. After knowing that his voice was heavenly, your cheeks turned red even more every time he looked at you. Then he decided to sit beside you. You were quite surprised but nonetheless, you talked with him for a couple of minutes. 

"I have to go now, I'll see you tomorrow again, D.O.! It was nice talking to you, really." You said, waving at him as you push the door of the cafe. 

" It was a pleasure talking to you too, Junghee! See you around." He replied. You smiled at him as you rushed your way home.

"TOMORROW IS JUDGEMENT DAY!" Eunmi said as she jumped from you and Yunhee's back.

"You mean prom." Yunhee answered.

"You guys excited for the food as I am?" You asked them as the three of you walk your way to the cafe. It became your hangout place since the food was great, and there was D.O., the cafe heartthrob that you wanted to talk to all the time.

"I'm excited to see the buffet table. That would be the perfect date." Eunmi said as you entered the cafe. It was a friday afternoon so more people came in than the usual. D.O. was too busy to welcome you with a smile this time. You waited on the line with Yunhee.

"What are you gonna get?" Yunhee asked you.

"The usual." You said, looking at the choices in case you wanted to change.

"Hi Junghee." D.O. giving a charming smile, looked at you.

" The usual?" He asked, you nodded quickly. He chuckled, showing his fat cheeks puffing up. You giggled at how cute it was then went back to your table. 

After Yunhee was done ordering, the three of you started to talk about tomorrow night, the prom. The gowns you will wear, the food you will eat. About two minutes later, a familiar song played. It was the song that D.O. was singing when he was making your coffee yesterday. 

{click here to listen as you read.}

D.O. came with the tray, walking closer to your table. Then you noticed that there was a rose beside the drink, and a note beside it. Eunmi and Yunhee were squealing and jumped from their seats, while you were blushing and smiling helplessly. You read the note before turning to him.

" There was this girl I saw a week ago, smiling at me. I don't know why, but ever since that smile she gave me, I never stopped thinking about her. And to my joy, she went here, everyday with that same smile. I don't know her yet as much as other people, it may have just been less than a week since I first saw her..but Junghee.."

As you were about to turn to him, he showed you the drink and it said:

"Will you go to the prom with me?"


THANKS FOR READING :D