Chapter Seven

A Class of Delinquents? They Don't Mix Well With Girls

Jun stepped outside of her apartment building, walking down the road on her own.  She sighed inaudibly to herself.  "Why do I have to have class tomorrow?  I really would just like to stay out all night."  Her thoughts got the best of her, realizing that she was pulled toward the traditional home she had seen before that was near the peaceful market (Chapter Six).  The skies were beginning to darken with the night skies.  Jun glanced up at the sign that read "Oedo."  Should I have even come here? 

The male she remembered as Tetsu appeared in front of her, "Can I help you?"

"Yes, I came here before.  About a month ago.  Kuroda-san had invited me in to look at the layout of the house?" Jun spoke unsurely.  She had left her hair down, seeing as it was past her shoulders now.

"Oh, that's right.  You are Jun, if I remember correctly.  Please, come in.  I will let him know you are here," Tetsu lead her inside, showing her where to place her shoes.

"Right..."  Jun slipped off her tennis shoes, her shoulders tensed out of nervousness.  "Thank you..."

"You can call me Tetsu.  Have a seat.  Would you like something to drink while I go get Boss?"

"Water would be fine, Tetsu-san," Jun responded, waiting for him to leave before sitting down.  Why did I come?  It's not too late to-

"Jun, correct?"  Ryuichiro asked as he entered the room.  He sat across from Jun on top of what seemed to have been a very expensive cushion.  "Tetsu, go get the blueprints."  Ryuichiro looked up as a shorter, thicker male that Jun had seen before enter the room.  "Minoru, would you mind making us some tea?"

"Yes, Boss," Minoru responded immediately before leaving to what seemed like the kitchen.

"Yes, I'm Jun.  I was actually going to ask one quick question before we begin with the blueprints."  Jun gave the older man a smile, at the same time reassuring herself that there was nothing to be nervous about.

"What is it, young one?"

"What exactly is the 'Oedo' family?"

"Ahhh....  I can understand why you are asking that.  The Oedo family is in the yakuza.  I am the current leader of the Oedo family.  I hope that does not change your mind of conversing with me."

"Oh, no, it doesn't.  I just think the yakuza are misunderstood," Jun spoke, easing up more.  "I mean, everyone thinks that you guys are mean and grumpy.  I think anyone in the yakuza just has a tough exterior so it is harder for others to barge into the interior.  It's like a barrier, almost."

"What was your family name again?" Ryuichiro asked lightly, though it was unlikely for the older male to forget such a thing.

"Sawatari.  I actually live in an apartment by myself, but my father is Sawatari Goro."  Jun's ears perked up some when she heard the front door slide open.

"I'm home!" a young woman's voice called out, sliding the door closed not so gently.  "Ojii-chan, do we have guests over?"

Jun stood immediately, hoping to show more respect for the family.  That almost sounds like-

"Kumiko!  Welcome home," Ryuichiro responded to the woman that just arrived.  "There's a student here that wished to look at the blueprints of our home, so I am showing her."

"Kumiko" entered the room carrying a large stack of papers.  She stumbled before Jun rushed to take the load off the poor woman.

Tetsu entered the room then, carrying what looked like rolled up papers, "Ojou, welcome home."

Jun set down the papers she was now holding on the table, standing back up straight to get a good look at the woman.  "Yankumi?!"

"Jun?"  Yankumi appeared just as surprised as Jun.  "What are you doing here?"

"I- Wait- What?"

-----

"So she's supposed to be the next leader of the family?" Jun asked after a long conversation.  "That is so..."

"I know that it's terrifying, but please, keep it a secret," Yankumi spoke.

"I was going to say cool!  No wonder you fight so well!  Not only do you have strength, but you also have endurance and agility.  Yakuza have to know how to fight, even from a young age, right?" Jun was more hyped up than a child that was on a sugar high.  "Look, you have GOT to teach me how to fight correctly.  Not just like violence, but duels and everything."

Ryuichiro removed his cushion, scooting backwards on the floor some.  "Jun, I beg you to keep my granddaughter's family situation a secret," he spoke, bowing his head down to the floor.

"Kuroda-san, please, sit up," Jun spoke quickly, realizing the seriousness of the situation and not just the playfulness that she was going with.  "Please?  I'm not planning on telling any of my classmates.  I find this so cool."  She watched as her teacher's grandfather sat back up.

"Thank you," Ryuichiro responded.

"It's no problem at all.  Yankumi, what papers are these?" Jun changed the subject as she looked down at the papers.

"Those are the 'future goals' papers I had you all turn in today.  Speaking of which... I was glancing through the papers earlier and I didn't see yours.  Where is it?"

Jun laughed nervously, "You see.... About that...  Funny story, actually-"

----------

Okay, that's the three chapters.  I know it's been a year since I posted anything.  I've graduated high school, I've moved into my aunt's house, and so now I have more time to write for you guys :)