Chapter Three

A Class of Delinquents? They Don't Mix Well With Girls

 

Jun realized that she hadn’t been to her apartment, but just looked like crap with her head bandaged.  She was waiting for Sawada and Kuma to show up to ask them about Uchi, and when the door slid open, in came the main two she was thinking about.  “Hey, guys…”

“How you feeling?” Kuma asked, honestly worried about the girl.  “Everyone found out.  Gomen.”

“Don’t apologize to me.  You didn’t have to keep it a secret either way.  Why was Uchi so worried about me?”  Jun asked curiously.

“Well, duh.  He l-“

Sawada slapped the back of Kuma’s large head.  “It’s nothing.  Don’t worry about it.  He should be here soon, knowing him.”

“He’s late, though.”  Jun frowned.

“Because he stayed up late, worried about you!” Kuma sighed, realizing the girl was too thick-headed to realize what he was saying as she had a confused look on her face.

“Whatever.”

“I’m here!” Uchi grinned, walking into the classroom.  “Morning!”

“Is it good or bad?”  Noda asked, sharing a look with Minami.

“Undecided.” Uchi shrugged his shoulders.  He glanced over to lock eyes with Jun.  “Hey, how are you?”

“I’m-“ Jun was interrupted by Yamaguchi entering the classroom, shutting quickly.

-----

Jun sat beside Kuma as Shin leaned against one of the poles outside, the female stealing food off the fat boy’s plate while he wasn’t looking.  She knew if Kuma caught her, he’d fuss.  “Uchi,” Jun called the boy, “thanks for yesterday.  I appreciate it.”

Uchi gave a look of embarrassment, rubbing the back of his head nervously.  “Well, it’s the least I could do.”

“But it’s a bummer I stayed as a guy for only two days.  Rumor has it that you were screaming my name using ‘-chan’.  You’re so mean.  It’s your fault…”  Jun pouted slightly, leaning her head on Kuma’s shoulder as she continued eating from the guy’s plate.  The entire class was sitting around them as Yamaguchi came over.

“Looks like you guys are eating some good stuff.” Yamaguchi spoke, getting settled on the other side of Kuma.

Sawada groaned, “What is it?”

“I thought I’d eat with you guys.  See?  Try it.”  Yamaguchi began taking her obento apart, tray by tray to see what was made for her.

Baka.” Kuma told her as Yamaguchi shoved the tray toward his face.

“I’ll try it!” Jun grinned.

“Eat alone,” Uchi spoke, turning his back to her as he ate a sandwich of some sort.

“How come?  I wanna talk with you guys.” Yamaguchi spoke as the tray was snatched out of her hand by Jun.

“She’s nuts.” Minami spoke, crossing his legs and leaning back against the bench he was sat on as he ate as well.

“Aren’t you insane?” Noda asked Yamaguchi.

Yamaguchi then turned to Sawada, “Hey, Sawada.  Are you eating all right? Just coffee?”

Sawada finished his drink, ignoring the woman as Sawatari Goro and his follower approached the group.

“Kumai.  Come here.” Sawatari spoke to the fat boy, Jun eagerly taking his food as well.

“Yamaguchi-sensei.  Please come also.”

“You know…  You haven’t even asked me how my health was…” Jun sulked playfully, Uchi patting her shoulder.

“It’ll be alright.” Uchi chuckled.

Sawada leaned forward, glaring at the teachers.  He knew something was up by the seriousness of their tones.  He glanced at Jun as she was looking in his direction.  Sawada nodded in unison, standing with her to follow the retreating teachers and student.

Jun continued walking, hiding behind the walls when the Head Teacher turned around to see if anyone was following them.  She sat down near the stairs in the main building, waiting for Sawada to catch up to her.  This isn’t right.  Just because Otou-san hates Kuma, it doesn’t mean he can just blame Kuma for everything that’s gone wrong…

“Do you know what it’s about?” Sawada asked, sitting beside the girl.  He wasn’t too sure on whether to trust the girl fully, but Jun sure as hell did tell them the truth.

“Otou-san claims that Kuma stole the money for the students’ exam fee.”  Jun sighed.  “I can’t believe the old bastard thinks Kuma did it.  He probably just misplaced it like he does with everything else.”

“KUMAI!” Yamaguchi’s voice was heard.

Sawada shot up, “Kuma!”

Jun watched as Kuma stopped running for Shin.

“Shin…” Kuma spoke, turning to face his best friend.

Jun turned her head to see Yamaguchi run around the corner.  “You know, Kuma…  That old man is just being an .  He’s only blaming you because he doesn’t want to lose his job for misplacing the money.

“Kumai!”  Yamaguchi ran closer to the group, seeing Jun sitting on the stairs.

“Shut up!  Call the cops or whatever.” Kuma told Yamaguchi.

“I said I believed you.”  Yamaguchi spoke honestly, and Jun could tell by the way the teacher acted that she had been telling the truth.

“Stop the nice act.”

“I believe you!” Yamaguchi advanced.

Kuma was about to say something until Shin placed his hand on Kuma’s shoulder.

“You pretend to be nice and play dirty tricks,” Shin told her.  “You, grown-ups.  We won’t be fooled anymore.” Shin turned back to Kuma, pulling the male with him to leave the two women alone.

“I believe you guys…” Yamaguchi turned to face Jun, giving the girl a small smile.

“I know how Kuma feels.  And this is coming from personal experience.  It’s why I live on my own.  My father blames anyone he can, except for himself.”  Jun stood from her seat on the bricked stairs.  “He doesn’t trust anyone.  And I know the real story on Sawada.  I was in his class when he got expelled.  He just doesn’t remember me…”

“I will have to talk to you later.”  Yamaguchi passed the girl, not realizing Jun was following her as she left the school.

-----

Jun watched Yamaguchi go into the Sakura River while standing on the bridge that crossed over the watered area.  She flipped open her phone, checking the time.  Jun didn’t have to work, but she did have to go home and make dinner.  She realized a group was forming after half an hour, turning around to relax on the side of the bridge.  Jun caught sight of the five she was friends with, a girl younger than her running up to her.  “Ah, Kisa!  Hey.  Are you working tonight?  I was just about to call you.”

The red-haired girl shook her head.  “Actually, I’m not.  Why are you dressed as a boy?” she asked curiously as the five boys came close to them, noticing Jun tense up.

“My school is an all-boys.  I’m sorry I got you fired at that bar…”

“It’s fine.  As you know, I got another job pretty quickly.  At a maid café!”

“Hey, Uchiyama!  Come here.” A student from the same school waved the dual hair colored boy over.

Uchi, Minami, and Noda ran to the railing, leaning over to look as Kuma and Sawada dragged behind.

“Wow, she’s crazy!”

“Hey, I gotta talk to these guys right quick…  You want to come over?”  Jun walked to the group, shaking her head.  “You know, she came out here right after Kuma and Sawada walked off from us.”  Jun watched as the woman fell into the polluted water, trying to pull a string off a rock.  “Kuma, she believes you.”

Some of the students bursted into laughter at the sight of the woman.  “Aren’t you insane?”

“It’s too early to play in water!”

“How beautiful!”

“If that’s a teacher, I could be one, too.” A guy chuckled to his friends.

“Come on.”  Sawada spoke to Kuma, moving away from the rail, Kuma staring at Yamaguchi as the others walked ahead.  “Kuma.  Let’s go.”

Kuma turned to face Sawada, nodded.  He started following Sawada as the thinner male began walking.

-----

It was later in the afternoon now, becoming darker with every passing minute.

“Wow.  She’s serious about finding that bag!  Such passion.” Fujiyama Shizuka exclaimed.

Jun nodded, not having left.  She gave Kisa money to go eat with another person since she wanted to watch Yamaguchi.

“What an interesting teacher!” Kawashima smiled.  The nurse leaned over the rail some, catching sight of Jun.

Jun sighed, running her hand through her hair as she passed two men who were watching Yamaguchi.

Ojou…” the taller male spoke, sunglasses on his face.

The shorter, thicker male replied with, “I wonder what she’s doing.  It seems like she’s looking for something.  Shall I go help?”  He was ready to climb over the railing, and was about to do so until the other man stopped him.

Jun tilted her head to the side, staying quiet as she listened to the two thug-looking men converse.

“Don’t!  If we get involved, she’ll be in trouble.  That’s the path she chose.”

Jun was curious as to how these men knew her teacher, but let it drop.  She didn’t think much more of what they were speaking about as she climbed onto the railing to sit comfortably.

-----

It was dark now, and Jun’s stomach was growling.  She continued to watch the woman search for the collection bag, wondering when Yamaguchi would give up and just go home, considering the time.  Jun didn’t want to leave the woman all alone, so she just decided to watch over her teacher.  “YAMAGUCHI-SENSEI!  Aren’t you hungry?” the girl called curiously.

Yamaguchi jumped, startled at Jun’s presence during this evening.  “You aren’t home?  You should go, Head Teacher would kill me if he saw you out here this late.”  She continued placing her hands in the water, feeling around for the bag.

Jun was quiet once more, hoping Kuma hadn’t lied about where the bag was.  She was beginning to trust the woman, slowly starting to believe her.  No regular teachers would have searched fo r the bag like she had been.

-----

It was now early morning, Jun rubbing her stomach.  She hadn’t eaten dinner, seeing as Yamaguchi hadn’t and the woman was still searching for the bag.  Jun heard footsteps, turning her head towards the sound to see Kuma.  She tilted her head to the side out of curiosity.  It seemed to Jun as though Kuma looked over her, to search for Yamaguchi.

Kuma went down into the water, looking around for the woman still.  When he caught sight of her, he charged toward the woman, screaming.

Yamaguchi heard him after a moment, stopping her search for a few seconds to look at the boy.  Yamaguchi and Kuma exchanged a few words, inaudible to Jun whom was still sitting on the railing.

“IT WAS A LIE!  A BIG, FAT LIE!” Kuma yelled, startling Jun.

Jun’s balance was lost, now wide awake as she was falling toward the river.  There was a humongous splash before she was covered in mud and grime.  “Ew…” she whispered to herself, but was able to listen to their conversation better.

“I stole it.” Kuma confessed.

“KUMA!” Sawada’s voice came, and the boy was stomping into the river, large splashes of water.  He seemed angry as he pushed Kuma a bit, “What are you saying?!  Do you know what’ll happen if you tell such a thing to a teacher?  You’ll get kicked out!”

“I know.”

“No, you don’t!”  Sawada turned toward Yamaguchi.  “OI!”  He took a few steps forward. “You believe us?  You’re our teacher?  Huh?”  Sawada scoffed.  “Don’t make me laugh!” he screamed at the older woman.

“Sawada.” Jun called, having been walking closer to them the entire time.  “I believe her.”

“Shut up!  You don’t know anything!” He continued to yell, turning back to Yamaguchi.  “We don’t believe what teachers say.”  Sawada was getting closer and closer to Yamaguchi, “Going through this charade, forcing Kuma to confess…  You’ll turn him in, won’t you?  You’ll get rid of him to save the school’s reputation, won’t you!” he accused.  “Say something.”

“You really did it, right?”  Yamaguchi asked, causing Kuma to face them.

“Kuma!”  Shin was attempting to stop another confession.

“Right.” Kuma confirmed.  “The Head Teacher dropped it near the bathroom.  That bastard has always picked on us, so I decided to get back at him,” the male recounted the story.

“I see.” Yamaguchi nodded.  “You’ve done enough.  Let’s return the money.”

“I don’t have it.”

“What do you mean you don’t have it?” Jun questioned.  “It was 500,000 yen!”  She shook her head, “No.  No, this can NOT be happening.  The old bastard will take it out of my pay for work!”

“It was taken from me.” Kuma spoke honestly to Yamaguchi, ignoring Jun.

“The money was taken.  Sell Kuma out?” Sawada asked.  “If you do that, I’ll never forgive you.”

“I will… get the money back.”

“You have no chance against them!” Kuma yelled.

“I said I would get the money back!” Yamaguchi screamed at him.

This made Jun flinch.  Yamaguchi was a bit scary at the moment.

“But before that…”  Yamaguchi advanced toward the fat boy.  “Kuma.  Let me hit you once.”  After she spoke those words, the woman reared back quickly and punched Kuma in the face.  Kuma hit the ground with a large splash.

What is with this woman’s strength?

“Don’t ever do anything rotten like stealing!  You guys are a disgrace to delinquents.  Making fun of teachers is fine.  Getting into fights is fine.  But… Don’t do anything cowardly!” she yelled.  “Be delinquents with pride and dignity!  You three.  Get to school quickly.”  Yamaguchi left, Jun chasing after the woman.  “Don’t follow me!”

Jun sighed, her soaked uniform slowing her down anyway.  “Be careful, Yamaguchi.” She called to the teacher.  Her stomach growled as she took in the scent of herself, knowing she stunk a bit.

“Kuma, you go ahead.” Sawada told the blond haired boy, Jun having been in front of them.  “You, too, Sawatari.”

Jun nodded, a bit sleepy.  “Be careful.”  She turned to face Kuma, walking with the boy.  “Kuma, do you have any money?”

“Not much.  Why?”

“I’m hungry, but nevermind.”

-----

An hour later, Jun was in the gymnasium with all the other students of Shiroken, listening to her father speak.  “As you all know, there’s been a theft at the school.  We already know who did it.  We can hand him over to the police.  However, out of the spirit of leniency, if the thief reconsiders and returns the money, I’m willing to simply dismiss him from school and leave it at that.”

“Yeah, right!  What if you have the wrong guy?!” Jun yelled at him.

“3D Kumai Teruo.” Sawatari called.  “Come forward.”

Kuma stepped forward as he was told, face to face with the Head Teacher.

“Now, apologize for your crime that offended everyone and ruined the school’s reputation.”

The teacher next to Sawatari spoke next.  “Do the right thing, since you’re leaving the school.”  He turned Kuma toward the other students, trying to make him kneel down.  He brought his leg back to kick Kuma so he would fall.

Jun rushed forward, “Matte kudasai!”  She pushed Kuma behind her.  “Are you stupid?  Otou-san, if you’re really going to accuse Kuma of doing something he hasn’t done, then go on and expel me.  You don’t even have to pay for my rent or anything else.” Jun couldn’t help herself, knowing Kuma was actually broken on the inside because of this situation.  “Take all my money!  I don’t give a .  I’ve only known them for a few days, but they are really great guys and I would do anything for them to be able to stay at this ty school!”

The entire gymnasium went quiet, to listen to Jun speak.

“Jun!”

“URUSAI!  I’m sick of it here anyway.  I knew I wouldn’t make it out of high school.  Not with the way I act most of the ing time.”

“SAWATARI JUN!”

“What the hell do you want now?!”  She glanced at her father’s face, her stomach growling very loudly.

“You-“  He paused, his finger pointing at the girl accusingly.  “You must have been the one who stole the money!”  His eyes widened as the thought just hit him.

Nani?!  No, none of us did!”  Jun was furious now.  Her father always blamed her when he couldn’t blame anyone else.  Uchi and the others of class 3D ran to their aid, causing trouble.

Sawatari ran up the steps and onto the stage.  “I’ll kick you all out!”

Jun sighed in relief as a voice was heard, “Don’t lay a hand on my students!”

“Yamaguchi-sensei!”

Sawada turned around quickly to look at the woman who yelled.

Yamaguchi advanced through the students, the boys moving out of her way as she went to the stage.  “Head Teacher.” She spoke aloud for the boys to hear them.  “I found this.”

“What is it?” Sawatari asked, looking at the item that Yamaguchi held up.  It was a bright yellow drawstring bag.

“It’s the money bag you were in charge of, isn’t it?” she asked.

The teachers grouped around Yamaguchi, Sawatari grabbing it from her to look inside.

“Where was it?” the short, slimeball teacher next to Sawatari asked.

“The trash can near the boys bathroom.”

“That day…”  Sawatari seemed to have remembered something, a look of realization popping onto his face.

“That day?” Yamaguchi asked.

“Well… Uh.. No.. Uh…” the Head Teacher stumbled over his words.

“So that means, it was your mistake afterall.  Correct?” Kawashima grinned at him.

“Well, that’s so, isn’t it?”

“Well, it’s nothing to worry about.  Everyone makes mistakes.” Yamaguchi smiled triumphantly.  “Okay.  Come on.  Go back.  Come now.  Back to your places!”  She started pushing her students back, Minami, Noda, and Kuma close to her with Jun next to Uchi.

“But that money…” Kuma spoke softly.

“Shut up…  Are you trying to embarrass me?”  Yamaguchi spoke to him before going onto the stage.

“Yamaguchi-sensei.  Wait a minute.”  Sawatari told her.

“All right, you guys.  Now listen carefully.” Yamaguchi raised her right hand.  “Indeed, the 3D students are a hopeless case.  But I happened to become the homeroom teacher of that class.  This must be fate.”  She crossed her arms after a moment.  “You guys, I’ll take good care of you till the end!  No matter what happens, I’ll make sure every one of you graduates.”

The five top guys of 3D began to leave, only to stop near the door as Yamaguchi finished her small speech.  The only girl in the school was being stared at as she spared a single glance at her father.  “Nani?” she asked curiously.  “What is it?”

Sawatari clamped his mouth shut, listening as his daughter’s stomach growled once again.  He seemed almost afraid of his daughter as the girl left the gym.  Sawatari was going to let her eat something before she decked him one.

-----

Jun slipped in the classroom, being the first one in there.  She knew how bad her clothes stunk, especially since she fell into the water and hadn’t taken a shower in two days.

“WHOO!  What stinks in here?” Uchi questioned as he opened the door.  His eyes grew wide as he saw Jun was the only person in the classroom.  “Sorry, it must be my shoes.

Jun shot him daggers, growing a headache after a moment.  “Don’t lie.  I know that it’s because of my clothes and me.  I need a shower.  Hey, do you have a shirt I can borrow?”  She knew she was being mean to the male, but couldn’t help her foul mood with anything but food.

“It’s a bit big.”

“It doesn’t matter.  I’m going to the shower room.  No one should be practicing today.  Would you be my guard?” Jun asked as nice as she could be.

“Uhh…  Sure?”

“Thanks!  Do you have any soap?  I don’t need shampoo, since my hair is so short.”  Jun pulled the taller male with her to the locker room for the athletics team that also had showers inside of it.

“Yeah, I do.”

“Can I use it?”

“I don’t know.  Can you?”

“May I?”

“Yes.”  Uchi chuckled at the girl, opening the door leading into the showers.  “Here.”  He began digging through his bag, tossing the extra shirt and soap at her, expecting her to catch it.

“It’s sad how you carry this stuff around.” Jun spoke, shaking her head.

“I like to smell fresh.”

“And you think that’ll attract girls?  Ha!  Don’t make me laugh!”  Jun went further into the shower room, slipping her clothes off as she walked.  She the water, placing the clean clothes to the side, her bag having her P.E. shorts in them from her last school.

“Too late.  You already laughed.” Uchi called into the shower room before water was heard.

Jun shook her head, still able to hear him as she rinsed her body, soon lathering her body with soap.  She took her time, letting the warm water beat against her back as her muscles were sore from staying awake all night.  Jun rinsed the soap out of her hair before rinsing it off her body, shutting the water off.  She stepped out of the shower, wringing her hair with her hands to dry it some.

Uchi heard the water cut off and after a few minutes, he went into the shower room.  “Hey, you almost done?” he asked, forgetting to close the main door.  Soon, a group of students rushed in to take a shower, and Uchi stood frozen.

Jun looked around as noise was heard.  Uchi… I’m going to kill you.  She slipped on Uchi’s shirt, grabbing her shorts and attempting to slip them on before the boys bursted into the room.  “OI!  MATTE!”  She yelled at the boys as they almost began stripping in front of her.  Jun snatched up her dirty clothes and the soap was in her left hand with the clean pair of shorts.  Her hair was still drenched as she left the locker room, the boys staring after her.  “Idiots…”

Uchi glanced up as he heard the girl mutter the one word.  “Jun!  Daijobu desu ka?”

“I thought you were watching out!”  Jun yelled at the blonde male.  “Uchi, when I tell you to keep freaking watch, you do it!”

Gomen…

“Uh huh…”  Jun instantly forgave him, unable to stay angry for long.  “Let’s get back to class.”  She paused for a moment, slipping the shorts on underneath the large t-shirt.  “Thanks for letting me borrow your stuff.”

“Anything for a friend.”  Especially a girl.  Uchi blushed, having watched her as she slipped the short shorts on.  “We still have class today.  What are you going to do about your uniform?”

“Give it to Kawashima-sensei to take care of.  Simple.  I don’t have a washer or dryer at home, so I normally go to a Laundromat on the weekends.”

“Really?”

“Really.  I live in a small apartment, nothing big.  It’s tidy because I’m not home half the time.  Speaking of home…  Do you guys wanna come visit me?  I’m not having to work, I don’t think.”

“Alright.  Do you want me to let the guys know, or-“ Uchi stopped short, feeling a slap on his back as Noda rushed past them.

“Oi, Uchi, what are you going to let us know?” Noda interrupted, grinning.  “That you and Jun-chan are together?  We all know that you lo-“

Urusai.  Can’t you tell that’s a secret?” Sawada questioned the boy.

“Ah, Sawada!  When are we going to duel?  When we get to my apartment?” Jun grinned from ear to ear, hoping for a decent reply, which she hoped to be a yes.

“The duel is off.”

Nani?  Why?”

“Because you’re a girl.” Sawada walked ahead of the group, going back to the classroom.

Once he was out of ear-shot, Jun was the first to speak, “What the hell was that all about?”

----------

Done with Chapter Three :) :) I’m surprised.  Honestly.  It took me a week to finally finish chapter three :) but aren’t you all proud?