The Silver Frame

The Junhong 10151995

 

I stared at him, fear trying to pour out of me like the air I breathe, and I cleared my throat, straightening up. "Yes, Zelo. I'm alright, sorry. That's not how humans communicate. You just..spaced out, and I worried." I tried to paste a smile on my face but was unsure how successful it was. Zelo only nodded, looking adorable with all the Snoopy bandaids and the kitten on his shirt. I felt a flash of feeling in my heart again and turned away from him, holding the door open. "Come on, cherry tomatoes this way!" He darted ahead of me, on the sidewalk before I could blink. Yep, this kid was definitely not human. I sighed.
 
"Noona, kaja! Cherry tomatoes, naegoya!" I giggled at him then locked the door before following him to the convenience store. One full hour of "Yes you can have that." and "No, Zelo, put that DOWN, you can't eat that!" later, I trudged home with Zelo in tow happily swinging his bag full of cherry tomatoes and candy, looking for all the world like a human kid.
 
We got inside and he plopped onto the couch, about to dig into his new little stash when I sat next to him and took it away. "No, you'll make yourself sick. Slow down on the food inhalation, ok?" He pouted. Legit pouted before standing up and wandering around the living room. I got up and put everything away knowing he'd probably just sneak-eat it all anyway and sat back down on the couch, flicking on the tv, hoping to catch his interest again. He stood in front of me and I looked up at him. "Better door than a window, Zelo." He tilted his head. "I mean you are in the way. You can't see through a door...aiish nevermind. Please move." Instead of obeying, he held out a silver picture frame. "Who is this, noona? Zelo wants to know." I took the frame, already knowing who was in the picture, and set it down on the table behind him.
 
"That, little Zelo, was my brother and me a year ago." I knew it was coming but as usual I tried to fight it anyway, my lip trembling with the effort. Zelo knelt down, looking at me curiously, and I moved my face away from his prying eyes. "Zelo, noona's only gonna ask once. Please don't ask about that boy again. Please." Zelo, ever curious, tilted his head again. "Noona's little brother, why can't Zelo ask? Did Zelo do something wrong?"
 
I know I know it's super short given the length of time since updating. I'm sorry. I just don't know how long I'll be able to be on this computer, since it's not mine. I'll revise the chapter to make it longer next time I'm on, I promise.