Chapter 23: It's All Coming Back to Me Now

Driving Through Time with Boys


After accidentally being spat out at the Sistine Chapel (and taking a strange detour helping Michelangelo), Lana gave Kyungsoo the correct coordinates, and the bus soon glided down the Las Vegas strip. The destination was Caesars Palace—not the hotel or casino, but the huge theater known as the Colosseum. At least, according to Mom, she and Lana’s father had been married there by the world-famous Celine Dion after winning a wedding contest at the very last minute.

It wasn’t long before the venue came into sight. A series of impressive white buildings that glowed in the sunset overlooked a bright blue fountain. Kyungsoo parked the bus in a nearby garage and announced that he had a few “errands” to run, which suspiciously included hacking an ATM for a substantial amount of cash. So much for the money tree theory. Lana soon found out that he also had the ability to forge pretty much anything he ever wanted, thanks to a high-tech device he picked up in the far, far future.

With a new fake ID and Celine Dion concert ticket in hand, Lana hopped off of the bus and followed her friend toward a tall, round building. The Colosseum had been designed to mimic ancient Roman architecture, and though it was still an imposing structure, Lana thought the way its yellow lights hit the off-white walls made it look more like an amusement park feature than a luxury theater. The second she stepped inside the concert hall itself though, she realized how wrong she had been. The theater was sprawling and expansive, easily fitting several thousand guests into its red, cushioned seats. Aisle after aisle was jam packed, but the teens soon found a few empty spaces in the front row of the uppermost level.

Kyungsoo bounced giddily in his seat as he waited for the show to start. “I’ve heard a few songs by Celine Dion!” he squealed. Lana struggled to hear him over the boisterously chattering audience. “She went down in history as one of the greatest artists of all time, you know. ‘It’s All Coming Back to Me Now’ is my personal favorite. I hope she performs it!”

Lana shook her head. No one in 2033 cared about the horse-faced has-been anymore. She must have had a resurge of popularity posthumously, just like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and Lady Gaga had.

Before long, the lights dimmed, sending a hushed silence over the crowd. Lana slinked back in her seat, tapping on the armrest impatiently as she waited for the renowned diva to appear on stage. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, was still perched right on the edge of his seat in anxious anticipation. After a long wait, the curtains finally rose to reveal the songstress, gaudily garbed in an oversized dress glued together by Swarovski crystals.

Lana writhed in her seat as Celine proceeded to croak out sixteen drab love ballads, all the while listening to Kyungsoo cheerfully sing along in her right ear. She couldn’t have been more relieved when the show finally finished and Celine announced, “We have two very special guests tonight!”

Then again, she wasn’t exactly looking forward to sitting through a boring wedding ceremony either.

Celine began to elucidate the details of the contest, that the winners would be married onstage tonight, that she hoped everyone would enjoy the ceremony, yada yada yada. Lana soon tuned her out. It wasn’t until Mendelssohn’s Wedding March began to boom throughout the theater that Lana finally perked up in her seat. The audience burst into prompted applause as the impossibly tall, blond, tuxedo-clad figure of Kris appeared on stage and quickly took his place in the center with Celine. He was followed shortly by Marina (his best friend and apparently also the best man) and a maid of honor who looked suspiciously like Uncle Baekhyun dressed in drag.

And then came Yunee. She was already sobbing as she stumbled onstage, clinging tightly to Grandma’s arm so as not to lose her balance and faceplant in front of the crowded audience. As she was handed off to her husband-to-be, she began bawling harder than ever, even as he took her hand in his and wiped a string of tears from her cheek.

“Look! There’s my mom,” Lana whispered in her friend’s ear. She pointed at the simple white dress clinging a little too tightly to young Yunee’s body. “And there I am! Can you see me poking through with her stomach?”

“Stop it, you. She looks fine,” he murmured. Just to annoy Lana, he cupped his face in his hands and added in a coo, “Weddings are so romantic.”

Lana elbowed him in the side, sending him into a fit of giggles—to which an audience member a few rows back loudly shushed the two. She sighed and slumped back in her seat, only half listening as Celine rambled on in heavily accented English about the magic of matrimony and blah blah blah.

“I do,” Lana suddenly heard Kris avow. She had all but zoned out until the familiar voice piped up.

Eyes fixed on the stage again, she watched as the big-haired diva turned to Yunee and repeated, “Do you, Yunee Song, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish, to have and to hold for as long as you both shall live?”

It was obvious from the dazed, blank expression on Yunee’s face that she had no idea what Celine was spitting at her. Nonetheless, she turned right to Kris and smiled warmly. “I do,” she affirmed in an accent that put even the horse-faced songstress’s to shame.

With a plastic smile plastered across her face, Celine’s head swiveled to face Kris. “You may kiss the bride.”

Lana buried her face in her hands, only chancing sneak peeks through the cracks between her fingers as Kris and Yunee exchanged a passionate, heated, very wet kiss. The silent audience suddenly erupted into cheers, applause, and cat calls as he tipped the tiny woman over, supporting her tightly in his arms.

“YEAH! GO, DRAGON EXPRESS!” Kyungsoo yelled, his loud voice rising high above everyone else in the crowd. Lana’s face burned with humiliation as she slapped him on the back of the head.

When Yunee finally pulled away from the kiss five thousand sickening seconds later, she turned to gaze up at Celine. Eyes b with tears, she mumbled straight into the microphone, “Wirr you song the Twatanic sing?”

Lana cringed. “Ugh, she never learns!” she hissed in Kyungsoo’s ear. “She’s been saying that for as long as I can remember. She would swear on Dad’s grave that the boat is called the RMS Twatanic.”

Kyungsoo chuckled as the hall filled with music once again. Celine swept across the stage as she began singing along, forced emotion overflowing. Smiling warmly down at Yunee, Kris took his tiny new wife into his arms again, this time for their first dance as husband and wife...

Which consisted mostly of Kris swaying a ragdoll Yunee across the stage while Celine paraded gallantly in the background. Right at the song’s big , the young mother-to-be’s eyes rolled into the back of her head, and she promptly passed out right there in Kris’s arms.

Lana burst into cackles, completely unsurprised by the sudden turn of events. The audience, on the other hand, erupted into shocked gasps.

Kyungsoo’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets as he turned to Lana, prodding with worry, “Is she alright? That’s not normal, is it?”

“She’s fine,” Lana chirped. “She’s narcoleptic, probably off her meds since she’s pregnant.”

The song finished as Kris carried his sleeping wife offstage, leaving half the audience applauding and the other half in silent awe. Lana joined the cheering side, still in stitches of laughter from the comical ending. She finally regained composure once most members of the crowd had risen from their streets and begun to leave the building. Although she still remained unconvinced of any super special love her parents supposedly shared, the dreary concert’s unintended finale at least made up for its slow start.

As the two filed out of the theater, Lana wrapped her arm around the shorter teen’s shoulder. “You know, this proves nothing,” she tutted, leaning against him.

“That’s why we’re staying for the honeymoon,” Kyungsoo retorted with a grin.

 

Author's Note
Hello, everybody! Today’s chapter is special. In a few short hours, it will be the 6 month anniversary of MTIAPS!!! :) What better way to celebrate than through reliving Dragnee’s wedding?

This chapter is named after the unofficial theme song of TRHW. I listened to this song like craaazy during the summer when I was writing TRHW, so when I hear it these days, it’s suuuper nostalgic. ;_; The music video inspired the entire breakup sequence in that fic, as well as the mansion that the Wus lived in during their stay in Los Angeles! FUN FACT: Scarily enough, after TeenIdle and I decided that Dragnee’s mansion should be encircled by a lazy river, I found out that Celine Dion also happens to have a house with a lazy river.

For extra celebration, I’m thinking of putting up the foreword to my next fanfic tomorrow on the official 6 month anniversary. :) Since the new one will take place in a brand new universe, it’d be cool to have the two universes born exactly six months apart! Sooo, look forward to that if you’re an avid reader of my fics. \o/ I’m not even going to think about starting the new fic until I’ve finished DTTWB, so don’t worry about it getting in the way or anything~

Thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting as always!