Chapter 13

This Way

 

Chapter 13 – When Calling You is an Option.

Around 1.20 a.m, Jiyeon finally went out from Soyeon’s room to take a little walk after accompanying her sister who fell asleep half an hour ago. She sat on of the hospital benches, the hallway was so quiet and a little bit dark and eerie.

Surprisingly she doesn’t feel scared, instead she felt lonely.

She leaned her head towards the wall and sighed. She checked her phone as if hoping for something but she knew the answer. Jiyeon suddenly remembered how Hwayoung slept on a chair, in a sitting position when she was admitted to the hospital during the Roly Poly promotion due to fatigue. Hwayoung stayed there all night. Jiyeon let out a small giggle thinking how she didn’t do that to Hwayoung when she was injured. Well, that is what separates Jiyeon and Hwayoung.

“I’m not Hwayoung, that’s why I’m not a good friend..” Jiyeon whispered to herself. She wiped off her one falling tear and got up.

She walked to the nearest public telephone around the corner and stood in front of it for a long time.

Arranging the sentences she is going to say, how is she going to reply, how should she start and picked up the phone and dialled Hwayoung’s number which she remembered by heart.

Tut tut... tut tut... tut.. “Hello?” Jiyeon heard Hwayoung’s voice at the end of the line. She wasn’t sleeping.

Jiyeon was taken aback and lost her words, it has been a while since she last talked to Hwayoung and this is too much for her.

“Hello?” Hwayoung said again, feeling a bit weird.

The call lasted for about 5 more seconds before Hwayoung hung up. However, Jiyeon stayed on the line, hoping to hear Hwayoung’s voice again. Jiyeon let her tears fall instead holding it in. She doesn’t want to hold it in anymore, it tires her to bits.

Again, Jiyeon dialled Hwayoung’s number but with one ring, Hwayoung answered.

“Yeoboseyo?” Hwayoung said.

“Hwa ah..” Jiyeon whispered so softly as she was battling her own tears.

It was silent on the end of the line, maybe Hwayoung was shocked.

It stayed silent for a while until Jiyeon said,

“Bogoshipeo...” she cried. Jiyeon held on tight on the telephone.

“Jiyeon?” Hwayoung’s voice cracked a little bit.

“Umm..” Jiyeon nodded silently.

“You haven’t call me for so long...” Jiyeon sobbed softly. Her voice was so slow but Hwayoung could hear every single word she said.

Hwayoung gulped her tears and said, “I thought you didn’t want to talk to me...”

“I really...” Jiyeon swallowed her tears and continued, “I really want to talk you...” Jiyeon sobbed.

“Why are you crying so hard...?” Hwayoung said with a little laugh but got choked up with her own tears too.

“Because you left me...” Jiyeon cried even more.  Jiyeon held on to telephone even tigher,.

“I thought you hated me...” Hwayoung whispered.

The line was cut off as the time has finished. Jiyeon cried her heart out, grasping on the telephone.

Hwayoung quickly took her Batman jacket together with her cellphone, took her right hand crutch to support her injured ankle and went out.

When Hwayoung arrived at the hospital,she saw Jiyeon sitting on one of the benches outside the hospital, sitting there blankly. Hwayoung paid the taxi driver and went out.

She stopped for a moment as this is a moment she has been longing for, a reconciliation with her best friend in the whole wide world, Jiyeon. She took a deep breath and walked towards Jiyeon. When she reached Jiyeon, she poked Jiyeon’s cheek and slowly Jiyeon looked at her.

Jiyeon looked at her but she looked down back, smiling like she was crazy.

“Yah...” Hwayoung poked Jiyeon’s cheek again.

“Goooo.....” Jiyeon pushed Hwayoung away.

“I thought you miss me....” Hwayoung took a seat beside Jiyeon and finally hugged her after such a long time, she hugged her as tightly she could.

Jiyeon began crying, turned around and hugged her back, sinking her face in Hwayoung’s jacket.

“I know it was you when I saw this jacket....” Jiyeon cried and Hwayoung with a smile on her face, cried too.

The two hugged each other like they have never seen each other in years. A hug which do not need any words to say. A hug that explains everything. How much they miss each other, how much they are sorry, and how much they love each other.

Jiyeon pulled away from the hug and wiped away Hwayoung’s tears, Hwayoung did the same.

“Yah, how dare you leave the house without telling your parents?!” Jiyeon slapped Hwayoung’s hand and pinched her cheeks.

“Awww... mianhae omma... ” Hwayoung pouted and wiggled her bangs. Jiyeon also wiggled her bangs.

“Yah, why are you sitting here alone during midnight?!” It was Hwayoung’s turn to scold Jiyeon.

“Awww...mianhae omma.. ” Jiyeon imitated Hwayoung’s previous act and got a knock on the head.

“Yah, how dare you knock your mother’s head?” Jiyeon turned serious.

“Aww... mianhae omma.. ” Hwayoung said and the two giggled.

The two best friends stayed there until the dawn breaks.