No Time

My Pet

 

                It’s been a couple days and I’ve hardly been able to talk to Sehun.  He always has his classes or is practicing with Jimmy in the dance studio.  Practicing with Jimmy.  When I talked to him, on the phone and not through video because he said his webcam didn’t work, he never sounded very happy.  I always asked him what was wrong but he didn’t answer me.  He just covered it up by changing the subject and I let him.  I let him because I respect his privacy as much as I didn’t want to. 

                Another thing that I forgot to mention is that it’s my birthday.  Sehun hasn’t contacted me at all today.  Not even through the phone.  I was beginning to get worried that something happened to him but I kept my head up.  I knew that he’d call me at some time throughout the day.  It was already ten at night in Korea, though, so he must already be at classes. 

                At around four in the morning, I got a call.  I was half asleep as I picked up the ringing phone and put it up to my ear.  Then, I realized I hadn’t accepted the call and quickly did that. 

                “Hello?”  I groaned, not liking being woken up only an hour before my alarm was supposed to go off.

                “Luhan, I’m sorry for- Hey Jimmy stop making noise, I’m trying to call Luhan!  I’m sorry for not calling you all day yesterday.  I hope you didn’t worry.” 

                I was ing pissed.  Instead of wishing me a happy birthday, he just spent all his time with that kid Jimmy.  I felt sick to my stomach and just hung up, feeling empty inside.  I threw my phone across the room and curled up into a little ball.

                I get it now, I’m nothing to the kid.  I was really just a person he could mooch off of.  He probably just used me the whole time.

                I stared at the promise ring on my finger.  I wondered if it was actually a ring to promise that he would break my heart while he was away.  I knew I was probably overreacting but I don’t exactly have the best luck in relationships, what else am I supposed to think?  Does he think that I wouldn’t be upset?  Does he think that it doesn’t hurt me to know that he rather spend time with his American friend than talking to me? 

                The phone started ringing again but I didn’t dare answer it.  I just stayed there, trying to make the pain go away.  I couldn’t even cry, I was too tired and too sick of showing my weakness for so long.  I slowly built up the brick wall that Sehun had broken down so many months ago.  I knew that being myself would be bad, I knew that trusting someone I hardly knew wasn’t bright. 

                I need to stop being like this, Sehun loves me.

                I knew that, but I didn’t.  Without him here, I couldn’t confirm it.  What if America made him realize that there are better men out there?  Am I too girly for him?  Am I too mean to him?  Maybe he would be better off without me.  Maybe I should just die alone.  I hid under the covers and ignored the persistent ringing of my phone.

                When my alarm woke me up at five, I walked over to my previously discarded phone. 

                80 missed calls.

                I instantly felt bad and when he called for the eighty-first time, I picked up.

                “Sehun-ah I-”

                “It’s okay, Jimmy, he answered me.  Oh Luhan, I’m sorry, is there something I said that angered you?”

                “No.”  That’s all I could get out.  I felt my throat tighten every time he spoke to that loser Jimmy, I wanted to tell him to stop talking to that bastard but then I’d sound like a clingy, overprotective boyfriend.

                “Luhan… I must’ve made you… mad… oh my God.  Today is your birthday, I forgot!  Oh my God, Lulu… I-”

                “It was yesterday in Korea, technically.”  I corrected him, accidentally letting some bitterness slip.

                “Lulu… it’s just that I was so busy wi-”

                “-th Jimmy, your new best friend, I get it.  You don’t have time for me and I understand, just focus on your school work.”

                “No but Luhan I-”

                “I get it, okay!?  Just don’t call unless you really want to talk to me.”

                “God damn it, Luhan stop ing interrupting me!”  He screamed into the phone, making my eardrums ache.

                “What.  You forget my birthday so what’s your explanation?  It better be damn good.”

                “I’m getting bullied, okay!?  Jimmy has been with me the whole time because I needed help.  I didn’t want you to know because I didn’t want you to worry.  If you saw me through video call, you’d see the bruises and I didn’t want you to.  I’m sorry, that’s a horrible excuse for forgetting things but… just… I didn’t make you sad or anything, did I?  Oh who am I kidding?  Of course I did, I know you, Luhan.  You’re upset, right?”  My stomach sank at his confession.

                Well now I feel like an .

                “Well, I was but you should’ve told me from the start!  I thought you forgot about me!  You’re making me feel like a douche bag, you know that?  Ugh, I’m sorry, Sehun-ah.  Now, who the hell are these bastards who are abusing you?”

                “These guys who’re jealous that I got a scholarship.  Then, when they saw me talking to you one day they screamed ‘this is America, speak English, you stupid Chinese ching chong ’ and then punched me in the face.  Luhan, I’m scared, I miss you.  Please come with me so I can live with you.”

                “Haven’t you contacted the counselor?”

                “I have an appointment tomorrow.” 

                “I’m sorry for doubting you, I’m a horrible boyfriend.” 

                “No you’re not!  Luhan, I’m horrible for not telling you.  I left you hanging and of course you’d start thinking stuff up like you usually do.  Anyway, I got to go, they’re giving me looks again.  Wish me lu- oh .  They’re coming over.  I love you, okay?  Don’t forget tha-”

                It cut off and my heart stopped.  I didn’t know what to do, he was going to get hurt by them.  Those hormone-driven, crazy- college boys.  I knew he shouldn’t have gone alone. 

                When I got to work, I was still shaken.  It was terrifying knowing that the one who means the most to me is getting abused and I couldn’t do anything about it since I was halfway around the world.  I just sat at my cubicle, not doing anything.  I couldn’t type my article because my hands were shaking so much.  When Junmyeon made his rounds, he immediately looked pissed when he reached me.

                “Yah!  Luhan!  I need that article by tonight and you’re not even on the third paragraph!” 

                “J-Junmyeon, I’m… sorry.”  I bit back tears, and his facial expression suddenly did a one-eighty.

                “Are you… crying?”  He leaned in to inspect my face, mouth wide open at the rare event.

                “I’m sorry.”  I repeated again, as if any other sentence would start the waterworks.

                “What’s wrong?”  The old Junmyeon started to peek through again and by now, my coworkers were taking an interest.

                “Sehun…”  That’s all I could choke out at the moment and he waited for me to continue.  “He’s not doing well.”

                “Listen, if it were up to me, you’d be out of here already but the American branch isn’t ready for you, yet.  Have you even found an apartment in New York, yet?  They can be pretty expensive, you know.”  He rested a comforting hand on my shoulder and glowered at the eavesdroppers, making them shrink back into their cubicles.

                “Thanks, Junmyeon, I miss the old you.”  I murmured and he sighed.

                “I’m sorry, Luhan, I’ve been treating you like lately.  It’s just that, whenever you’re around Yixing, I just go crazy.  You’re a valuable writer to me… and… just… I’m a horrible boss.  You’ll be better off at the American branch.” 

                I was shocked that he was being so nice for once.  Did Yixing say something to him?  As if on cue, my ex-boyfriend came into our department.

                “Yixing!  I was just thinking about you!”  Junmyeon kissed the boy on the forehead and Yixing smiled shyly.

                I was happy for my friend because he seemed to be finally warming up to my boss.  Deep inside, I really did want them to work out.  Yixing deserves to be happy after all he’s done for me.  Suddenly, I was stunned to see the Chinaman kiss him back, right on the lips.  It was as if he didn’t even see me there, well until he saw me there.  He blushed a bit and cleared his throat.

                “Oh I’m sorry, Luhan!  I didn’t notice you until now.”  He bowed and I bowed back. 

                “Come on, Yixingie, let’s go to my office.  Just get that article to me whenever you want, okay Luhan?”  Junmyeon grabbed the still-blushing boy and dragged him to said destination.

                At least my friends are happy.

------------

Author’s Note:

Alright so last chapter was too short so I did a double update.  Sehun is being bullied but worry not, this’ll be easily fixed.  Don’t expect much angst in this… arc?  Should I call them arcs?  Lol it sounds like a manga or something.  Anyways OMG DID YOU SEE KRIS AND LAY CRYING?  I’m sorry but I knew Kris was secretly adorable.  I CALLED IT.  Jesus, I was tearing up just looking at his beautiful crying face.  And Lay… he’s just so… I just wanted to hug him.  OMG Luhan teared up, too, like seriously… people portray him as such a girl but he’s pretty damn manly.  And of course Tao cried, because it would’ve been weird if he didn’t.  Did Chen and Xiumin cry?  I didn’t see any pictures of them crying so I assumed they didn’t.  Anyway, congratulations on the awards my angels, I’m proud to be EXO’s fan from the start.  They’ve just grown so much and I feel like they’re my children (Even though I’m like… younger than them), agh, I’m babbling now.  Anyways, I love you guys as always for reading my fanfic and I hope we can all continue supporting EXO together.  Oh and anybody else upset that they’re not going to K-Con to see EXO-M?  I hate living in Pennsylvania.  -.- Why can’t I live in the places that they go?  I ENVY YOU GUYS WHO LIVE IN IMPORTANT CITIES (lives in a suburb).  Alright guys, until next update.