Bom

Walking on Sunshine

 

 

Six.

 

BOM

 

Mai decided to drive me to my physical therapist the following day. I jumped in on her offer last night since my arms and fingers were feeling worn out already from all the tire-spinning and crutch-holding. Besides, her husband is at work and all of her three boys were at school, so basically she had nothing else to do. Not only did she drive me, she also accompanied me to therapy. And she had been like a cheerleader the whole time, rooting for every step I made. I felt a little mortified, but I let her. I needed that. It’s nice to be cheered on sometimes.

 

As usual, the numbness and heaviness in my legs and feet were still there. I walked out of the center after two hours feeling more dejected than ever. Mai have noticed my sad state when I fell silent in the car so she decided to bring me to the zoo.

 

I know I was a little old for the zoo, but merely watching an elephant was enough to bring me to elation.

 

After a few strolls here and there, Mai rested at one of the benches and then decided that this was the best time to grill me about my love life.

 

“So what’s going on with you and the new guy?”

 

“His name is Seunghyun. And there is nothing going on with me and him.” I made sure to emphasize the word ‘nothing.’ In any case, that’s essentially the most fitting term to describe whatever Mai imagined was between Seunghyun and me.

 

“You were alone with him at the rooftop a few nights ago and I overheard you invited him last night to watch a movie at your apartment. Again. Which meant that you already did that before. There sure is something.”

 

I looked at her incredulously. The way her eyes twinkled and brows moving up and down obviously implied she was teasing me.

 

Seriously?

 

But the corner of my lips tipped upward to reveal a smile, a little glad that she’s not just being a mother to me but a friend as well. Then again, there’s no dodging from the obvious. “A guy like him wouldn’t like me, Mai. There’s nothing attractive about a girl in a wheelchair.”

 

Mai squeezed my hand. “You are more than just a girl in a wheelchair, Bom. You have a wonderful personality. He will like you if he takes the time to know you. If not, it’s his loss.”

 

I smiled, touched by her encouraging words. “Thank you.”

 

“I have a way of finding out if Seunghyun likes you though, that is if you’d allow me to.”

 

I looked at her puzzlingly.

 

She continued. “My husband is celebrating his birthday tomorrow. We’ll be having a little party along with the tenants on the 6th floor. Of course you’d come, right?”

 

I nodded.

 

“I’ll be inviting Seunghyun, too,” she added.

 

My heart thundered in my chest. “And just what are you planning to do?”

 

But all Mai gave me was silence and a big smile on her face, none of which appeased my nervousness.

 

Later, she suggested we go get myself a dress to wear for the party.

 

“It has to be beautiful and y!” she said while driving. “We’ll pick something that has a low neck line so a little of your cleavage will show up. And it also has to be short. You have nice long legs, let’s not put them into waste.”

 

I would have fought with her not to bother. But she was so excited and I hate to shred that excitement to pieces with my spoilsport attitude. So, again, I let her.

 

We settled for a dress rental shop. Since formal dresses are expensive and you only get to wear them once or twice, we just opted to rent.

 

After about an hour of skimming through chic, glamorous clothes, trying them out, and finally settling for the black one for me and red for Mai, we headed out and went back to Rosemary.

 

On the drive, I tried to squeeze Mai out of information for the second time as to her so-called plan. But still, she chose to give me silence and a mischievous smile.

 

“You’re not going to embarrass me, right?” I asked.

 

“Have I ever done that to you?”

 

No. “I’m just worried.”

 

“Don’t be,” Mai assured me. “My plan’s going to work out just perfect.”

 

~*~