Final

I Just Want to Know Your Name

---

She's so beautiful ran through my mind as I sipped from my cup, my eyes casually strolling to her every once in a while. The warm taste of bitter sweet coffee ran through my throat as I swallowed. I placed the cup down gently and reached for the phone in my right pocket. My fingers felt the hard cover of my phone and pulled it out, grunting slightly when it refused to budge from my jean pocket.

“There…” I mumbled once the phone was out on the table in front of me. I reached for the cup of coffee again, letting my fingers flit over the rough surface of the material. I trailed my fingers upwards so that they were above the cup’s top. The steam blew against my hand but was suddenly retracted when my phone that sat on the table began vibrating shortly afterwards. The soothing tones of my ringtone sounded softly.

I lost my mind
The moment I saw you
Except you, everything was in slow motion
Tell me if this is love

I let my hand hover over the phone for a moment before picking the blue covered phone up, raising it to my ear after tapping gently on the accept button.

“Hello?”

“Baekhyun ah?”

The corner of my lips twitched up upon hearing the familiar voice on the other line.

“What’s up Luhan hyung?”

“Nothing much. Sehun and I were just wondering where you were. He’s kind of sweets deprived right now so he wanted me to call, hoping that you would max out your credit card from buying him food.”

There was a faint voice in the background saying ‘I did not!’ making me chuckle. That was definitely Sehun.

“I’m at the café so tell Sehun I’ll get something for him.”

“Baekkie, you’re too nice,” Luhan chimed from the other line. Based on the happy squeal that followed shortly afterwards, the older male must have told him the good news. On his side at least. “And you’re at that café? Again? It’s the fifth time this week and it’s only Wednesday.” I found myself lightly shrugging as my eyes flitted over to the girl from before.

“What can I say? This is a nice café…” I began trailing off as I watched her take the orders of another customer. There was a slight cough on the other line.

“Yes yes. Of course that’s why you’re there,” he replied in a somewhat teasing tone. Even though he wasn’t present, I could almost imagine him smiling broadly. There was silence for a few seconds before Luhan spoke up again. “Well I won’t bother you anymore…you can go back to your…enjoying of the café. I’ll see you later Baekhyun.”

“And you as well,” were my last words before tapping onto the end button. I removed the phone from my ear and softly placed it down onto the table in front of me again. I let out a sigh and reached for my cup again only to stop half way. Coffee didn’t really appeal to me at the moment. My eyes gazed over to her again. Her, the only reason why I come here. Her, the most beautiful and breathtaking girl I had ever laid eyes on. Her, the girl whose name I have to know. The first time I came, I came solely for coffee. Just a cup of coffee my friend had recommended me to try. But then she waltzed in. Her with her tied up hair. Her with her bright and seemingly never dimming smile. She stole my heart there and then. I just came for a cup of coffee, but my eyes kept going to her.

All it took was one smile, one glance towards my direction and I was hooked. This may sound cheesy but if beauty were time, she'd be eternity. Yes. I just threw up a ball of cheesiness and had just pulled a Jongin.

I had been staring at the same cup of coffee for about a minute or two, me being in deep thoughts. I shook my head slightly just so that I could clear my head of thoughts. Thinking too much could be a pain. My eyes then trailed to the counter glass which stored the desserts offered. Then I remembered Sehun wanting sweets. I stood up, taking my phone with me as I walked up to the glass. There were many types of desserts offered but my eyes stayed trained onto one particular one that stood out. It was the strawberry tart. It looked simple, elegant almost. And almost sold out. Luckily there was one left. I had been so concentrated on choosing a dessert that I didn’t notice someone appearing behind the counter.

“Hello? Sir? Would you like to order?”

My head immediately snapped up in surprise, my eyes dilating twice the size. It was her. My mouth gaped open to speak but nothing came out resulting in me closing my mouth shut. The girl sent a small smile towards my direction, her pearl white teeth showing as she did. It was then when I realized that she was waiting for me to order. I quickly composed myself and pasted on a nonchalant expression.

“Oh…can I get the last strawberry tart?”

Her eyes formed into small crescents as she nodded. She then proceeded to get the last tart, nearly placing it into a small container before slipping it onto the counter top.

“Good choice sir. The strawberry tart is one of my favorite snacks here. It’s really good! And lucky you got the last one too!” She chimed in a cheerful tone. Her voice was genuine. She was actually happy unlike those mindless workers that just pasted on the same fake smile every time along with that fake voice weaved with pseudo happiness. But no, this girl wasn’t like them. She was real in every sense. “It’s because the baker here makes them so well! Ah I’m just rambling now. Sorry! I happen to do it a lot,” she meekly continued on with a sheepishly grin on her face. I found myself smiling a bit in return. She really was cute.

“No worries. I think it’s pretty cute,” I responded with a small chuckle at the end. To my surprise, she began blushing. It was endearing to see tints of pink splattered across her cheeks as she smiled back. I couldn’t resist staring at her a little longer than needed. Not like it could be help, she was beautiful. The girl bashfully pushed the container in front of me.

“H-here…that’ll be $2.50 sir,” she replied with the blush still evident on her cheeks. How anyone could be this cute boggled my mind. I didn’t mean like Sehun trying to act cute or with Zitao using his aegyo attacks on Yifan. Like, really really adorable. I wordlessly pulled out a crisp five dollar bill and handed it to her. When she took ahold of the money though, our fingers brushed past each other making the blush deepen on her face. My face grew a little warmer as well but I wasn’t going to admit that. “Thank you…here is your change…” she said in a small voice while handing me the rest of the change back. I took the money back, pushing it all into my front right pocket as I took a hold of the tart as well. I sent another smile her way before turning on my heels to promptly leave but something wasn’t letting me. No.

I had to know her name.

I whipped my head back and strutted forward again, almost touching the counter as I stared directly into her eyes. She hadn’t moved from her spot either making it so that she was staring wide eyed back. It was now or never I had decided as I inhaled deeply then exhaled. My eyes remain stuck onto her’s as I began to talk.

“What is…what is your name?” I breathed out as I stood; mesmerized by the way her eyes shined under the café lights. There wasn’t anything around us. No café, no people, no one but the two of us.  

“Hyun…Hyunjae…Lee Hyunjae.” She began to madly blush again only making my lips curl upwards into a loving grin, the corner of my almond shaped eyes crinkle up. One word slipped out but that one word was all I needed.

“Beautiful.”