Twenty Seven

EFFLORESCENCE

Narrator's POV

 

"The doctor said it's just fatigue." Yixing saw the lies coming. And he was surpised to even ask her a question with its answer already lying constantly in his mind.

"I should just take a rest and I'd be all good."

Her teeth sank on her tongue for another fabricated lie she doesn't know until when will last. Yeonhee glances at the former with timid eyes who can't even bare to stare for at least five seconds. And she was guilty, and for a short moment she figured out she should be.

Guilt is all over her, for the lies she ever so frequently invent will soon be found out. For as soon as her stomach grows, and she looked like mess, and she gained weight and get all picky with food, everybody will know. And there'll be no denying about it any longer.

"Then Joonmyeon hyung is right. You must take some rest." Why Yixing is going along with the conversation, he doesn't know. The obvious sign of the untrue and false statements aren't going very well with Yeonhee, but Yixing unquestionably chose to ignore it.

From the corner of his eyes, he saw Yeonhee nod. And Yeonhee stares blankly with her head leaning against the car's windowpane. Idly, he wanted to know what she's thinking. What's running into her mind? What the doctor had told her?  It was a long list for Yixing as he filled another page in his mind of the times he wished he could read her mind.

 

 

 


The apartment is empty when Jongin arrived two hours ago. It's now a quarter early before midnight as he sits on the barstool at the kitchen waiting for Yeonhee to walk out of shower.

She is taking forever.

And Jongin is hungry.

And Jongin has something to tell her.

"Mac n' cheese okay with you?" He asks as Yeonhee turns up from the staircase.

Droplets of water hang from the tip of her hair, and she is wearing one of his shirts and she looks beautiful.

Carefully, Yeonhee climbs down. Since this afternoon she found out about her unexpected pregnancy, she can't help but be cautious.

"You look beautiful." Next thing, she's down the kitchen, and Jongin is holding her hands -like how she imagined it to be.

Admiration towards Yeonhee's beauty reflects on the former's eyes as he stares at her. He'll never get tired of seeing her, be it, every day, every hour, minutes, seconds, he can watch her all day and still tell her she's beautiful and he loves her.

He tucks the stray hair strands covering her face behind her ear and she's perfect. Yeonhee is perfect to Jongin, with or without a stray hair strand he needed to tuck behind her ear. She's perfect wearing her own clothes or with his oversized shirts. And he could have waited until past midnight just to have dinner with her and he'd still tell her she's beautiful and he loves her.

"Have I told you how much I love you?"

His lips twitch in a wry smile as he cups her face. Slowly, he melded his lips on hers in a sweet and indolent kiss. And their lips have their own way of composition as they sway and dance inside their souls.

"I miss you today." The former pulls her in his embrace and locks her tightly as if he has not seen her for months.

But then again, a minute without her is like a clock stuck at midnight, shaded and unmoving.

"I miss you too, so so much." And she hugs him back, hands clasped from behind him. And she never wanted to let go.

"Can I dry your hair later?" He runs his fingers through her tangled wet hair and he kisses her head.

 

 

 

 


"Yeonhee, there's something I did not tell you these past few days."

The quiet dinner stopped. Almost immediately, Yeonhee dropped her fork back to her plate.

Playing nonchalance, the lady kept her cool, as if she's not bothered. She just hopes it's not what she suspects.

"What is it?"

Jongin stops eating as well.

"My father is in the hospital for a couple of days now. He's in a coma."

Abruptly, Yeonhee stood from her seat and hugs the former. It was a relief, that her hunch was wrong, but the realization that Jongin has been struggling by himself alone is not something Yeonhee is happy of.

"Baby, you could have told me."

"I know. I'm sorry. It's just that, you have lots of things to deal with already and I just don't want to vex you anymore with mine."

"I'm sorry. I had no idea it was like that. But Jongin, if there are problems, we must go through it together. I care about you. I accepted everything about you since we've been together, years ago and now. Even your flaws, your imperfections, I want every of them. I want to be involved in it. I love you."

And they are all hands on each others hair and lips shaping on one another and they are synchronized and Jongin began sliding the hem of her shirt up her stomach.

The combination of his lips on hers and his hands roaming on her body is a complete distraction. Yeonhee almost lost her sanity. "Jongin, no." She stops his hand and breaks the kiss.

"Baby, please.." And he inched closer to capture her lips again but Yeonhee refused to.

"No.. Not tonight."

The former cups her face, making her look at him in the eye. "Why?"

"I-I.. It's just.." It's hard for her to make an excuse when Jongin burns her with his eyes.

"See, you don't even have any reason. Just give in to me.. Let me take you." Yeonhee's hands dropped to her side as she finally gave in to the temptation of the former in front of her.

 

 

 

 


"How's your dad?" Her head is resting on Jongin's bare chest, bodies covered with the unchastity of the white sheets that smelled of detergent and post love making.

Jongin is running his fingers on her hair, and the scent of her shampoo still lingers. "He experienced brain seizures. My father is now stable. I was so worried, I thought we lost him." There's an undercurrent in his voice, and Yeonhee tightens her hold around his waist. Flesh to flesh, the soft tingling against their skin dismisses the discomfort within their aware consciousness.

"I should've been there with you. I should have noticed something wasn't right." The lad can't help but blame herself from her lack of sensibility. Perhaps she's focusing to much with her issue with Kris that she has situated Jongin aside. It just felt wrong.

"It's okay, baby. You didn't know. I did not tell you. You have work and our problem with Kris in hand already."

"But you're on top of that. You are far more important than any of them."

"I know. And I, you. Come here." Jongin tipped her head up, only to mash his lips on her. Yeonhee can only kiss him back, hard. "Stop worrying, okay? My dad is fine now. I'm alright as well. Nothing to worry about anymore. If you want, we can visit him tomorrow."

"We'll visit him?"

"If you want to."

"Of course! I'd like that."

"My mom would be happy to see you. She misses you a lot." And Jongin kisses her again, and again and some more until Yeonhee giggles with his playfulness. "I'd been waiting to hear that."

"Can I ask you something?" Yeonhee rested her head on his chest again, a silent excuse for her to avoid eye contact.

"Of course."

"Will you still love me even if I grow big and I can't fit into my clothes anymore?"

Chuckling, Jongin's chest rhythmically vibrates and it sounded beyond beautiful than any love songs and lullabies she used to play at night. "Jongin will love you even if you wear plus size clothes."

There's an unfaltering beating in her chest. Like she's ran an extra mile. And more than any fairytale princes, Jongin knew the exact words to comfort her and the right phrases to tell her she's beautiful no matter what.

Even if she eats twice than Jongin, and she needed to wear clothes larger than what Jongin wears, the former would still look at her undisgusted, and he'll tell her she's beautiful and he loves her.

"Then what if I fall sick, and I become so fragile that you needed to look after me everyday?"

The warmth of his hand placed on Yeonhee's small ones held so much promise as he brings it to his lips. Without further ado, Yeonhee looked up to him.

"Looking after you, taking care of you; that are the career I will be glad to be doing. As long as you need me, and as long as you want me to stay, I will. Ever since you gave me another chance, I made it a promise that I'll devote myself to you. Even if you become fragile and sick, in which I pray every day that you won't, I'd still want you. My love for you, there's no question to that."

From the corners of her eyes, beads of tears fear to fall. Yeonhee is overwhelmed by the sincerity of his words and the assurance in his voice. Jongin is too good to be true. And her conscious lays on a carpet flying across the moon.

"Don't cry, baby." Even before the tears start to roll down, Jongin has already wiped them away. "Is there something wrong? You can tell me."

The words are forcing their way out of her lips as she completely reduced to quiet sobs.

Jongin did not ask anymore. Instead, he pulled her in the warmth of his embrace and let her tears trickle on his chest. Her quiet sobs turned to soft moans and Jongin can only shush her gently and say "I love you."