Twenty Six

EFFLORESCENCE

Narrator's POV

 

Joonmyeon is worried.

"Yeonhee-ah, take a break from work." His words ended with authority. Yeonhee blinks at him. If there is one word this man could ever be defined as a brother to Yeonhee, it would be overprotective.

Back and forth he paces around the room -arms crossed against his chest. The rested lady watches his ever repetitive movement, fascination running out of source.

"I do hope this isn't still about that guy, Yeonhee. I know you two work a lot too often."

That guy. Yeonhee gulped by her brother's address towards Jongin. By then, Yeonhee knew that Joonmyeon still have issues with him. She understands where Joonmyeon is coming from, but then again, she was the one who was badly hurt and not him, so how come Joonmyeon can't ease up a little bit to Jongin?

"Don't stress yourself of someone unworthy."

Unworthy. There goes his false assault again. Her heart clenches inside her chest. This is one of the many instances wherein one person crosses through the decision of choosing between two different people that are as equally important. And she wants to tell her brother that she is happy. And behind that happiness is that "unworthy" guy he loathes, which Jongin is completely not.

Jongin is everything to her. Jongin made her grow. Jongin let her see what the world has to offer. And more than anything, Yeonhee is thankful that he did. If not for Jongin, she'll remain the same weak girl she used to be.

And though Jongin brought her the greatest pain, the profound contentment and joy in her jeart was from him as well.

For as long as Yeonhee gets to wake up every morning and for as long as she can close her eyes at night, Jongin, the guy who is her everything, would be the only person she'd wish to be with. Questions aren't necessary and doubts would not even linger her mind.

But her lips remained the way they are. No words had escaped . Jongin remained the bad guy he is at Joonmyeon's eyes. And Yeonhee wondered why.

The door creaks open. Yixing, after peaking in his head first, completely lets himself inside. He strides further and settles himself on the empty seat by his desk. "How are you feeling?"

"Better, I guess."

The newcomer nodded. A forced smile settling on his lips. He placed the glass of orange juice aside before helping Yeonhee sit upright with careful hands.

"Yixing called me earlier, saying you'll come here. I thought of surprising you, so I told him not to tell you I'll be coming as well. Turned out I'll be the one astounded." Said the older guy.

"I'm sorry." Yeonhee replied apologetically. Indeed she felt really bad. For months they haven't seen each other, and Joonmyeon sees her in such state.

Suddenly, her thoughts went to Jongin. It occurred to her he's not called since she left the apartment nor sent any messages. The thought is unnerving. He usually informs her before his schedule, during even. More of what she noticed about him is that he space a lot, and did not share anything about his work anymore.

Unwelcome thoughts enter her mind. But she stopped pondering about it when Joonmyeon began speaking.

"Be home two weeks from now, understand?"

"Okay.. I'will."

"Seriously, I am expecting you to be there." "I'm going first. Received an urgent message from my boss. Take care of yourself?"

"Take care of yourself as well, oppa." Before going, Joonmyeon planted a light kiss on her forehead.

"Yixing, it's now up to you to look after my sister." He hugged the latter as well in a brotherly embrace and flashes another worried look at Yeonhee. Soon, he was out the door.

 

 


Yeonhee's POV

Yixing sits awkwardly on his desk adjacent to the couch on the office. We are alone with a silent atmosphete coaxing in between us. Clearly, we both knew what my brother meant by his last words before leaving. "It's now up to you look after my sister."

It's not funny anymore how he leads Yixing on. Yixing knew we can never be more than what we are now. He accepted it, and I am happy he did. After we broke up, I and him remained the bestfriends we were in the first place.

Perhaps the preserved friendship between us gave a different meaning to my brother. I love Yixing but I'm in love with Jongin. There's a fine line between loving and being in love.

Again, I just hope Oppa would not take it hard on us, especially to Jongin when the time comes he knew about us.

"Do you want to eat something?" Yixing asks, rubbing his hands at his denim black jeans.

I quickly shook my head no. "I'm not really hungry."

Unconvincingly, Yixing nodded anyways. I slightly frown seeing the disapprovement on his face. No! Not him too. It's enough that I made my brother feel bad.

"Perhaps I can have a blueberry muffin." I don't even have the appetite to eat anything, but it seemed to work it's trick. There's a smile tugging on Yixing's face as he stood up.

"Muffin comin' up." And I'm completely alone in the care of Yixing's four walls. I let my feet fall flat to the floor as I removed the blanket over my legs.

I feel the exhaustion creeping up -as if I wasn't even rested a few minutes ago.

Yixing enters again, now with a plate of muffins in his hands. There are 3 of them, but I only asked for one.

Yixing is the kind of person to give you more than what you asked for. He tends to give a lot away even if he doesn't get much in return. In time, I hope Yixing will find a girl who will take care of him too.

"Eat.." He orders softly, pushing the plate towards my direction.

Hesitantly, I grabbed one. There's a weird feeling twisting inside my stomach. It's quickly up to my throat and the insides of my cheek salivated.

I put the half-undressed muffin back on the plate and go for the glass of orange juice instead. I'm thirsty and not hungry. After taking a sip, my eyes are already in search for the restroom. I ran quickly inside and towards the sink, not even able to lock the door before me.

I held my stomach as I crouched down, bending towards the sink. Either coughing or vomiting, I don’t know what’s happening. Perhaps it's both.

Yixing instantly follows suit but I can't look at him. I just know he's there. He held my hair up so it doesn't get on my face as I continued to cough, or vomit, on the sink. Nothing comes out, though.

"Hey.." He rubs his hands up and down on my back. I'm incapable of answering considered my given situation but Yixing understands.

"What is happening.." He says again, but I knew he meant it more to himself.

"I'm bringing you to the hospital." Declared Yixing after the sick feeling in my stomach stopped. I felt weak all over.

There's no protest from me. My hands are now clamped around the sink and my head bowed down in front of the mirror. Fatigue is eating up all my will to make any movement.

"I'll get the car."

 

 

 


Narrator's POV

Jongin sits quietly beside the hospital room. His eyelids are falling heavy as he tried his very best in keeping his mind awake listening to the doctor.

“A seizure is a change in behavioral state which results from abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Given the situation, this had caused Mr. Kim to convulse earlier. As of now, the patient’s body and brain activities have stabilized. Mr. Kim will be just fine and is expected to regain consciousness within the next days though we will be running a few more tests.”

It was as if a torn has been removed from Jongin’s throat. He smiled genuinely and hugged her mother who’s been shedding tears after hearing the doctor’s statements. More than anything, Jongin felt relieved, and rested despite the lack of sleep.

Jongin instantly thought of Yeonhee. Perhaps he could tell her now. It would not burden her that much anymore. The last thing the former wanted right now is to add up on Yeonhee’s baggage.

“Mom. I’ll be going home.” Says the relieved former, a brighter tone in his voice. He broke the hug and went to the table to gather his things.

“Rest, my son. Take a day off. For your mother’s peace of mind, please?”

Jongin slipped on the backpack on his arms. Kissing her mother on her cheek, he responded. “I will, mom.”

 

 

 


Yeonhee’s POV

Yixing and I, by chance, arrived at a hospital near Apgujeong without anyone giving us a look. We are seated infront of the doctor’s desk, waiting for the test results to be released. My face somehow finally redeemed some color.

“I’m nervous.” I blurted and placed my hand on my chest. Indeed my heart is racing. Just as though the doctor would surprise me with an unexpected you-have-cancer news. I cringe slightly at my exaggerated thought.

“Ms. Yeonhee?” The doctor closes the door behind her, grabbing our attentions. “I already have the results. Would you like to keep Mr. Zhang with us or hear the results alone? There are some things I would like to discuss.” The doctor is a fine lady in her mid-30’s and she smiles her reserved smile at us. It almost strayed me from answering her earlier query.

“I’ll meet you outside.” Yixing squeezes my hand before bowing to the doctor and closing the door.

Nervously, I sighed. I might actually need a presence of someone I’m familiar to. Now Yixing left me to go alone with this. What if my thought was actually..

“Do you feel anything strange for the past month?” The doctor cuts me off my unpleasant discussion with myself. I’m thankful she did.

I chewed on my lip as I made a quick flashback of memories. Is there anything strange that has happened to me?

“This past week, I often get tired easily. Aside from that, there’s nothing much.” Like a suspect under investigation, cautiously, I answered. By nodding, the doctor regarded me.

“Have you been getting a lot of stress lately?”

“My work usually takes up 15-18 hours of the day. I travel a lot for hours too. And some personal stuff.”

“How many hours do you sleep a day?”

“4 hours, 5 hours. Depends on the time of my schedules..”

“Are you eating properly?”

“Oftentimes, I go for take-outs. Especially on schedules. I guess that’s not healthy.” I felt a blush on my cheeks. Admitting wrong habits is not something I’m accustomed to. Strangely, the good doctor reminded me of my brother.

“Do you drink caffeine and sodas?”

“I drink both, but not so much.” The doctor seemed to sigh in relief in the middle of her acquisition. Quickly, I wander what the results are, and what these questions are for.

“Do you often feel dizzy? Nausea?”

“Yes, I often get those. Mostly after schedules.. And earlier this afternoon.”

“Okay. How about your period? Have you missed any?”

For the second time, I blushed some more. I know she’s of the same gender. But this topic doesn’t come in normal for me. I gulped before answering.

“I used to have strong periods, consorted with menstrual cramps. But for the past months, I get very light periods and I don’t experience any cramps.”

“So you don’t miss any?”

“I don’t. I still have it every month.”

The doctor furrowed her brows this time. What exactly is wrong? Can’t she get it directly to the point?

“Doctor, I’m getting worried already. Is there anything wrong with me?”

There, I said it. On my thighs were my hands, and my fingers are crossed. It could have been better if Jongin were beside me, holding my hand. But for now, I’m facing this alone. And though how much I wish he was holding my hand, I should learn to be strong and stand on my own.

“The results are good. You’re healthy. Experiencing nausea and dizziness should just be plain normal since you are on your eighth week of pregnancy.”

“P-pregnancy?”

And my world started falling apart. On a normal case, pregnancy is something a woman would be happy to hear about.

I forgot taking my pills.

Pregnancy means a baby. Pregnancy means a life inside of me. Pregnancy is something I didn’t plan. Pregnancy is something Jongin did not plan. Pregnancy is something I’m not ready for.

And I’m sure Jongin, too. I felt my face paled and it was as if I was poured with a bucket of iced-cold bucket of water on my . There’s a living life inside of me.

“But I’m sure I have my period every month. You must’ve made a mistake.”

Yes, perhaps the good doctor isn’t really that good. On a scale of 1-100, I’m a hundred and one percent not pregnant. Who, in this earth, would be pregnant while having her period every single month?

“There’s no problem about bleeding. Out of 10 pregnant women, 2 to 3 of them experience having their “mistaken periods” for the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. It’s called l bleeding that may be caused by hormonal changes, fertilized egg implanting in the uterus, infection, or having . There’s nothing to worry about. It won’t harm you or the baby.”

My jaw dropped as she explains everything to me. So it wasn’t my period I was having. I stared at my now disentangled fingers. They were shaking.

“I see this news isn’t something you ought to expect. But I suggest you follow the following consultations to you. You must not stress yourself too much. Especially now that you are aware of the life inside of you. Get 8 hours of sleep every day. It is very important for you and for the baby to get as much sleep as you can. Do not deprive yourself from rest. The baby will be affected too. You are not allowed to take any medication drugs unless allowed by your doctor. Prenatal vitamins are important to take during pregnancy. Avoid take-outs, instant foods, caffeine and sodas. Eat healthy and do not skip breakfasts. It’s the most important meal of the day. Go for regular check-ups.”

I can hear her talking but my mind isn’t processing her words. I’m pregnant. I’m pregnant for two months and I only know now.

Part of me is happy. This life in me is a fruit of our love.

Other part of me is terrified. It’s not something I envisage to have this early. Jongin and I are just starting to reestablish what we had. I just wish I had this baby a little later. I just wish this baby waited a couple of years.

“The first couple of months are the fragile state. Be sure to take care of yourself well.”

Absent-mindedly, I just nodded. I’m left tongue-tied.

“Do you have any questions? If there aren’t, I won’t be keeping you anymore. Your boyfriend outside waited long enough.”

“He’s not..” I whispered. I don’t want any one acknowledging other guy as my boyfriend other than Jongin. Lay is my bestfriend. We had a shared past, but it was long over.

“I’m sorry, I thought..” She smiles at me. “A child is one of God’s greatest blessings to people. Be sure you appreciate what’s given to you.”

I held my belly once more. I’m sharing a life with a little angel inside me. My little angel. Jongin and I’s little angel. The sound of it made me smile. “I do.”


I REALLY REALLY WANT TO TELL YOU GUYS I'M TRULY SORRY. Leaving you all with a confusing teaser and then just disappearing. There's no justice in that, I know. and I want to mention my ever loyal friend and reader NO-QUARTER. I felt the most apologetic to you. so so sorry.. I would update again after 10-14 days after my preliminary exams are over. Please leave feedbacks. I always love reading them and it's something I look back to during the depressing moments of my life. They keep me going. ♥