Day one

Stuck With The Unreliable Pair [ HIATUS ]

 

Fresh start, new preparations and new classes. It was that time of the year again.

6:45am. The constant ring of the alarm clock woke you up from your much needed sleep. Your hand slipped up from the covers, recklessly searching for the snooze button. Once the ear-wrenching sound had stopped, you sluggishly proceeded to move from your bed and into the bathroom.

Well aren’t you pretty? You snickered as you looked in the mirror. Back to early morning routines, you knew it was time to get serious. Your energy levels were slowly increasing and soon enough, you were ready for school. I can’t remember the last time I wore this uniform.  

Making your way downstairs, you found your parents already sitting at the table.

“Good morning Mum, Dad” You smiled.

“Are you excited?” Your Mother asked you. You knew very well what she was talking about and in your mind; school was not the most exciting thing out there.

“I guess you could say so”

Your Father gave you a raised brow. Your smile turned into a grin and you sat down, nonchalantly sipping at your morning tea. As you looked up, the sight of the morning newspaper caught your attention. This is

“Gwangjo University!” This was the one. This was the very University you desperately wanted to study at. “A 12% increase in outstanding results this year blah blah blah, Gwangjo has seen its new record breaker in employment success” You mumbled to yourself. Your Father looked over your shoulder and scanned the front page. His lips curled as he nodded, obviously impressed by what he saw.

“Honey, isn’t that the University you want to get into?” Your Father asked.

You enthusiastically nodded and proceeded to read more before your Mother screeched at you.

“_____, did you wake up your sister?” Your eyes widened as you realised you had done the complete opposite of what she wanted. It was also her first day back at middle school and you couldn’t afford to be late. “Don’t worry, you get yourself prepared” You okayed your Mother and quickly scoffed the cereal in your bowl.

It was already 8:15am so you kissed your Mother and Father good bye before leaving. The bus was packed as usual which made it difficult to sit comfortably. During the journey, you decided to check your phone for the time. Oh? A text!

[ Jun at 08:20am: Yo! Where are you? Meet me at the school gate okay? I’m waiting(ー△ー;)]

[ Reply at 08:38am: Sorry Jun! I’m running a little late. Will be there soon, wait for me! Don’t leave! ]

[ Jun at 08:39am: Kay, see you soon ^_^ ]

Once you got off the bus, your feet had to work double time to get to the school premises. Other students were casually walking around you so you decided to slow down. Phew, at least I’m not late.

“It’s about time” Your friend was glaring at you from across the gates. You knew how much he disliked waiting.

“I’m sorry Jun, I got caught up and the bus was late”

“Liar”

“Okay, so I left late… at least I’m here now!” Aish, how does he see right through me?

There was a chilling wind outside so you decided to go inside and sit in the cafeteria. Groups of people began arriving, even some newcomers you hadn’t seen before. In no time, the cafeteria was filled up and another friend of yours turned up. Waving across to her, she enthusiastically skipped over to you and greeted you both.

“Jiu Lu!” You sang. She was a transfer from China whom you managed to befriend two years back.

“I can’t believe this is our final year!” She held her cheeks, exerting a worried look.

“I know, I know. Last year for us to goof around together” A sigh escaped your lips.

Jiu Lu reassured you by patting your back. You knew it wasn’t the end. To you, the story would just be unfolding. Eventually, the bell rang and the three of you walked up to your assigned tutor rooms. Once again, you and Jun were placed together. As for Jiu Lu, she had a separate room. Since the beginning of high school, you and Jun had always been assigned the same tutor.

“I guess I’ll see you both later” The petite girl waved before entering her classroom.

Hesitantly, you and Jun walked in but to your surprise, nobody was present in the room. No one is here yet? This was the perfect time to choose your own seats.

“Let’s sit at the back _____” You simply nodded and followed Jun to the back. This spot was always popular. Last year, you weren’t able to snag the seats but today, luck was on your side. School had officially begun and your first lecture of the year sure wasn’t fun. Apparently the school had another set of rules as well as some general changes. You sat through the hour, twiddling your fingers and occasionally doodling.

Jun casually peeped over at your drawings, smirking when he saw them. He then whispered “And you’re hoping to get into Gwangjo Uni?”

“Shut up you” You covered your page with your pencil case and resumed listening. He was right. If you were to enter that prestigious University, the most basic of things to do was start listening. Once the lecture was finally over, the class was allowed a 10 minute break before first period started.

“Gosh, that guy can talk” Jun turned his chair to face you. You simply groaned and turned your own chair to face him.

“He sure can”

“Let’s see what you drew then” Jun smirked.

“W-what, no way!” You tried to defend your little notepad from being stolen but Jun managed to wriggle it out of your grip.

“These are cute! Why are you so shy about showing me?”

You showed your friend a face before taking the notepad from him. Just then, the teacher walked back into the classroom. You both straightened your seats and paid full attention. Some students were directed elsewhere depending on what lessons they had. Since your first lesson was Language studies, you had to make your way to the language department.

“See you later” You waved to Jun as you left the room. Room 210, room 208, room 206, ah, room 204!  To you, languages were always fun to learn, so you didn’t mind this lesson much.


Finally, lunch break! You were on your way to the cafeteria when you came across Jiu Lu.

“Hey! How was your first lesson?” You asked. Jiu Lu wriggled her fingers at you before responding like she had been drained. “Not good I’m guessing?”

“It was okay, it’s just that I don’t know many people”

You both headed into the cafeteria when you realised that Jun was nowhere to be seen. Hmm, I wonder where he is. Your eyes continued to search for him but still, no sign of him. Instead of staying here, Jiu Lu suggested to sit outdoors. You both agreed, walking over to a nice spot in the flower garden to eat.

In the end, Seungjun had some things to discuss with the teachers so he was not able to join you. Day one at school was finally over and you sighed in relief as you made your way home. However, something was irking you and you decided to think about it. What will I do about University? If I really want to get into Gwangjo, I’ll have to step up my game to make it work.


Well here you go ! The first chapter ~

I hope you enjoyed this ∩( ・ω・)∩ 

And don't worry, XiuChenChen will come into it soon !