Chapter 4

What Lies Beneath

“Listen, Hae. Go distract Sica. I’ll talk to Mi Young”

 

“Hyukkie… I don’t think this is a good idea” Hyukkie and Donghae are peeking at the garden from the door where Jessica and Mi Young are. The spoiled princess is pushing her supposed to be ‘crush’ in the swing.

 

“We’re doing a good deed here! Don’t worry! In the end, Sica will come thanking us” he returned to spying the unaware two. “On three, now one, two, GO” Donghae stumblingly entered the scene as he was pushed by the younger boy. He forced a smile as he approach the two.

 

“Uhmm… can I join?”

 

“Where’s your hubby?” Jessica arrogantly asked, not appreciating the sudden intrusion.

 

“What hubby?”

 

“Nevermind” she took the swing next to Miyoung and kicked the ground for momentum, in a few seconds, the swing move back and forth with Jessica on it.

 

“Need a little push?”

 

“DO I LOOK LIKE I NEED A PUSH?” she retaliated without a single look at him.

 

He gasped wherein Miyoung giggled, not being used to the ice princess “Why are you always so grumpy?”

 

“Cause you’re irritating, Mr. fishy”

 

Said fish crossed his arms and puffed out his cheeks, wondering where Hyukkie is, when a soft voice belonging to none other than the mushroom called for him,

 

“Oppa, I do need a push” she pleaded, giving him her eye smile she knew he wouldn’t be able to resist. Without second thought, he does as she says.

 

On the other hand, from afar, Hyukkie watched them with his binoculars he got from god knows where. His forehead creased at what is happening.

 

His initial plan of getting Jessica jealous did not work as she is unresponsive and looked like she’s spacing out while Donghae and Miyoung play. But wait-

 

She made a move. She stood up from the swing, looking intensely at Donghae. He sensed this and stopped what he’s doing, staring back at her with Miyoung.

 

She took a step. Towards them. And another.

 

She approached them, gaze fixated on the poor boy. And……

 

She walked past him. A sigh of relief escaped his lips and he continued with pushing Miyoung.

 

“Arghh, whoever did not throw this banana peel properly?!” Jessica muttered, and picked up the peel of banana.

 

 

Hyukkie just had to facepalm. Time to initiate plan B.

 

He entered the scene and stole away Jessica’s previous place in the swing.

 

“Hey Hyukkie, what do you think you’re doing?!” the little blonde interrogated, pointing accusingly at the suspect.

 

“Why? I’m merely playing. Any problems?” he flashed a smile at her, frustrating her more.

 

“But-“

 

“If you want,” in a flash, Hyukkie expertly grabbed Jessica’s wrist, twisting her around and pulling her towards him so that she could sit in his lap “you could sit in my lap”

 

A blush crept up her face, but the two audiences who witnessed their performance were rendered speechless. Hyukkie watched Miyoung from the corner of his eyes and smirked. Success.

 

“Kyaaaa~!!” a high-pitched squeal made its way to Miyoung, Hyukkie and Donghae’s ears. They covered their ears to ensure that their eardrums won’t break. They could have sworn that squeal could reach even the next country.

 

----------

 

“You betch Hyukkie! How dare you touch me like that?!” Hyukkie and Jessica walk along the hallway of the orphanage, following Jessica’s mother. They are about to receive some scolding after the disturbance a while ago.

 

“What? I’m just trying to help” he answered coolly.

 

“Help with what exactly?”

 

”You know, Miyoung and you…”

 

Jessica rose an eyebrow in confusion, not understanding where Hyukkie is getting at “Whatever. I don’t need your help”

 

“Hmmph. Yeah right”

 

----------

 

Weeks have passed, but nothing really changed. If anything, their bond seemed to have gotten stronger, though they did not notice it. Little did they know, is the moment their lives would change is coming.

 

It all started when this woman came to the orphanage, watching every move the children would make, especially Miyoung’s. Jessica knows all this.

 

She tried hard to ignore but she knows how this will end up.

 

And one day, it happened. The woman decided to adopt Miyoung. This woman, Mrs. Hwang, is an important source of funds and they wouldn’t be able to say no to her.

 

The day of Miyoung’s departure, everyone bid farewell, Hyukkie, Donghae, the other children, everyone except Jessica.

 

She hid in her room.

 

Miyoung could only prevent the tears from falling, knowing Jessi probably doesn’t care.

 

----------

 

“My name’s Tiffany Hwang, nice to meet you” Eunhyuk stole glance at the bewildered Jessica. He took this as a chance and raised and waved his hand,

 

“Tiffany, here” Tiffany mouthed a ‘Eunhyuk-ssi?’ in where he nodded. She showed him an eye-smile that is very familiar to Jessica, something she will never forget. But she was in deep confusion in how to sit beside Eunhyuk if there is Jessica and Donghae. Eunhyuk pointed at the empty seat beside the blonde. Jessica eyed him suspiciously, but went back on watching Tiffany taking a seat beside her.

 

“Nice to meet you again, Jessica”