Chapter 3

What Lies Beneath

Little Jessica is helping her mother serve food to the other kids along with Hyukkie and Mi Young when Donghae pulled her away outside the dining room where there are no people but them.

“What?” she asked, clearly irritated.

“Uhmm… Can I ask you something?” Donghae looks nervous, which is quite rare after seeing how cheerful he became after these past days.

“You just did”

“Sica, please! This is important!” he held his head with both hands, just like a crazy man would. But he’s not crazy, something must be bothering him.

“Okay, okay. I was just messing with you. What is it?”

“I…” he took a deep breath. “I think I like Hyukkie…” he squeezed his eyes shut, readying himself for the possible insults that will come from Jessica.

“Everyone does”

“No, I mean. Not ‘that’ kind of like. ‘THAT’ kind of like”

After processing what Donghae had just said, she gasped. “But… how? And, why? You’re both boys”

“I know. That’s why I need your help. You know him more than anyone does here”

“I don’t think-“

“Sica! Donghae! What are you still doing here?” the boy being talked about suddenly appeared, with Mi Young,

“Aren’t you going to eat?” as if it became a habit, Mi Young, again, held Jessica’s hand and pulled her inside. She mouthed a ‘later’ to Donghae who just gulped, he’s jealous of the two’s display of affection that he can’t help but touch Hyukkie too in his back as they enter the dining room.

----------

Everyone finished eating. And only the four are left.

“Mi Young, you and Hyukkie go ahead. Sica and I will wash the dishes”

“I’ll wait for Sica”

“No, let’s leave them be, Mi Young. Do you want to wash the dishes?”

“I don’t mind”

“No, Donghae. Mi Young and I will stay here. You and Hyukkie go ahead” Jessica stood up and took their plates so no one can counter her. Mi Young rose to help.

“O-kay” the two boys left.

“Uhm, Sica…”

“Yeah?”

“I don’t think I could be of much help here”

“Ehr… Okay. I guess I’ll do the work alone”

“Sorry…”

“It’s fine” Jessica, as promised, proceeded with washing the dishes.

And after a few minutes of silence, “When I first met you, I thought you were a bad person” Mi Young started, while swinging her little legs from her seat.

“I am a bad person,… I think”

“No, you’re not! You’re especially kind” she got to her feet and approached the very busy Jessica. The blonde turned around, and splashed a puddle of water at her “Kyaa~!”

“See? I told you I’m bad. Haha” Mi Young marched to the sink and let the water flow in her hand. Then splashed it at Jessica.” Wha-“

“Hihi” But Jessica’s expression suddenly went down. She sat at a chair while Mi Young sat beside her. “You okay?”

“You know, I feel insecure with the other kids around. I guess that’s why I’m mean” Mi Young didn’t reply. All she can do right now is listen. “Unlike you, I have a mother. But… all her attention is in this orphanage. That she sometimes forgot that she has her own daughter to take care of. And… next thing I knew, I distanced myself from the other children here” at the corner of her eyes, tears are threatening to fall “I wanted to hate them. For stealing my mother” her voice croaked a little, as her feelings are all flowing out “But I guess I can’t”

“Shh, Jessica. It’s okay” Mi Young let her friend rest her head on her shoulder “We all make mistakes. I’m sure you didn’t mean that” she hugged the sobbing princess closer.

----------

Donghae and Hyukkie are walking together. No one has talked yet since leaving the dining room.

“Hyukkie…” Donghae is looking down. He is really shy upon realizing that he had feelings towards his friend.

“Yeah?”

“What would you do if… you, found out that your friend of the same likes you?” his face is flushed. He didn’t really plan on asking that question. It just came out naturally.

“I guess I’ll be happy, why?”

“REALLY?” he grabbed both Hyukkie’s hands and looked at him hopefully.

“Well… I appreciate it. But I don’t think,” he pulled his hand away from Donghae and started walking again “I’ll return the feelings”

“Oh”

“Why’re you asking?”

“…Nothing…” suddenly, it as like the life itself was drained from Donghae. All hope that he could be with Hyukkie was crushed in an instant.

“But… you could be an exception” he winked. But Donghae now thinks that he is only joking. After all, it is really impossible for two boys to be together. He was cut off from his trance by Hyukkie’s gasp. “Is it about Jessica and Mi Young?”

“What?”

“It all makes sense now! Jessica likes Mi Young!” they stopped on their tracks.

Now it’s Donghae’s turn to gasp “Ahh... Ahaha. Yeah. But keep it a secret, okay? I don’t want to die yet”

“Hehehe. For that Sica to fall in love, how funny fate is! Hahaha”

“Uhmm… Hyukkie?”

“I know Donghae! We shall be… THEIR OWN PERSONAL CUPID! WAHAHA!”

After this consecutive turn of events, Donghae could only think one thing ‘Oh !’