Perfection

Unconventionally Perfect

 

Kyungsoo was disappointed.


He was disappointed in himself and Jongin. Not in their general relationship, per se, but in their story. He was disappointed in its unoriginality, its lack of imagination and no-risk factor. They were like every other couple in South Korea, perhaps every other couple in the world (save for the fact that they were both men, of course).
 

They met in high school. They had been in the same class, had shared mutual friends, had spent time at the same cafe. They had always seemed to be inexplicably forced next to each other. It was inevitable that their friends would eventually try to get the two together. And just as equally inevitable that they would fall in love.


At their friends’ insistence, the two started dating. They went to movies, for strolls in the park, out for dinner. came spontaneously after a few months of their relationship (they were teenage boys after all and hormones can seem rather convincing at that age). And then they fell in love. They couldn't help it, really.


When college rolled around, they both attended the same school (in order to be close to each other) and moved into a cheap apartment together (in order to stay closer). They fought, just like any other couple. They argued over grocery lists, over Jongin's habit of always spending a little too much and Kyungsoo's of never spending quite enough. 

Sometimes Jongin slept on the couch, sometimes Kyungsoo stormed off in tears to sleep at Joonmyeon's house. But they never had reason enough to leave one another for good. So they stayed the same, always unchanging, Kyungsoo and Jongin, the typical high school sweethearts.


But Kyungsoo just wasn't happy with the sound of that. He didn't want to be typical. He wanted to be something more original. When people asked, he wanted to be able to tell them that Jongin had saved him from a near death the first day they met, that they fell in love and had lived happily ever after ever since. Not that they used to share pens in third period chemistry and that their first date took place at your common, everyday burger joint.


It had nothing to do with him being unhappy with his boyfriend or bored with their life style. It was just that when he thought about it, he wished their relationship were a little less generic.


So one day, on one of their ordinary strolls through a park not far from home, Kyungsoo vocalized his thoughts.


"Jongin, do you ever wish we were less boring?" he asked as they walked along, hands swinging rhythmically between them, never missing a single beat. He didn’t know why he said it, didn’t know why he felt like it was such an important thought. The other seemed blissfully happy with the way they were.


Jongin glanced at him, one eyebrow quirking up in a silent question. Kyungsoo suddenly realized how handsome he looked in his new gray coat, tied at the waist, collar tugged up just past his chin. "What do you mean? We just went to Lotte World last week. And we went out for drinks with Chanyeol and Baekhyun last night. We do plenty of entertaining, un-boring things."


Kyungsoo sighed because that wasn’t what he meant. Jongin didn't understand.


"No, I mean that we are boring. As a couple, in the grand scheme of things, compared to all the exciting couples of the world. Don't you ever wish we weren't so... conventional?"


Jongin just smiled helplessly and Kyungsoo knew that he still didn't completely understand him. "So, do you mean that you want to have some sort of spontaneous adventure? Go rob a bank or something?"


Kyungsoo smoothed a hand through his windblown hair in frustration. "No, it's just that, I don't know. I feel like we never got to have that epic romance movie type of first meeting. The love didn't come suddenly, it came in stride. I just always dreamed of the whole Prince Charming sweeping me off my feet, love at first sight, fatefully meeting the day of a catastrophic accident, I-thought-he-was-an-angel sort of thing," Kyungsoo explained desperately, willing his boyfriend to comprehend. "It's not that I regret falling in love with you, I just sort of wish it had happened differently. I wish Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin's love story featured some sort of excitement."


Kyungsoo stopped walking, gripping both of the taller boys gloved hands.


"But you excite me," Jongin tried, squeezing his boyfriends hands tightly.


Kyungsoo was sure his disappointment was completely evident.


The awkward atmosphere between them was almost tangible as neither uttered a word. Neither of them really knew what to say. So they stood there, looking at each other, one pleading, and the other helpless.


After a moment, Jongin seemed to give in.

 
"Alright, run ahead," he said, unclasping his hands from Kyungsoo's and nodding in the direction in front of them. "Run ahead and pretend to fall down."


Kyungsoo was pushed encouragingly forward as he gave his boyfriend a strange look. He had no idea why he was being told to fall down. It didn't make much sense to him. In fact, he doubted it would make much sense to anyone. But nonetheless he went, because Kim Jongin was a fool but Do Kyungsoo was willing to play along. 


"Make sure not to fall too far from that bench," Jongin called out once Kyungsoo had made it about a hundred yards away from him.


The shorter of the two realized that said bench was no more than a few strides away and immediately dropped to the ground, crossed his legs, and looked over his shoulder to stare at Jongin expectedly. He was a little embarrassed that passers-by were staring at him, but he was more concerned with figuring out what his boyfriend was up to.


Jongin just stood there for a moment as a lazy grin slowly took over his handsome features, and then he was off, jogging in dramatic slow motion towards Kyungsoo, hair whipping around mercilessly in the breeze.


The elder thought he was about to die of embarrassment when Jongin knelt down next to him, fake panting and wiping nonexistent sweat off his brow.


"Are you alright?" the younger practically screamed as he reached out a hand to clutch Kyungsoo's wrist.
 

"Of course. You told me to-"


"Oh no! What ever shall I do? Your knee is bleeding uncontrollably! It must have been injured in the fall. You have to let me help you before you bleed out and die!" Jongin went on dramatically.


Kyungsoo looked down at his legs. Nothing was bleeding as far as he could tell. Obviously his boyfriend was going delusional. But he supposed it was entertaining enough. He looked at Jongin, faking a pained expression and whimpered that it hurt and that he would indeed be thankful for some help.


"Help me stand you up so that I can sweep you off your feet," Jongin stage whispered, urging the shorter upward with a tug of the sleeve. Kyungsoo stood unsurely to humor the younger.


"Do not worry, princess," Jongin declared as he swept the elder into his arms bridal style, successfully pulling a shriek of surprise from those full lips. "I'll save you. Fear no longer for your life."


And with that Jongin sent a glare to an old lady who was about to sit down, and walked Kyungsoo the whole two strides to the bench, gently setting him down on the hard, splitting wood.


"Now just allow me a moment to retrieve medicine and bandages from my pack," he said, tugging Kyungsoo's small backpack away from him and rustling through it before pulling out a half empty water bottle and a blue sweater.


Kyungsoo watched in confusion as Jongin quickly unscrewed the cap of the plastic water bottle and poured a meager amount of the contents on to Kyungsoo's jean clad knee, all the while muttering about how it was extremely lucky that he'd found the other on the brink of death, all bloody and bruised (but still beautiful, he added hastily) and arrived just in time to save his life. It must have been fate, he said. As if some greater force had brought them together. Kyungsoo chuckled as Jongin wrapped the blue garment loosely around the bend in his now dampened jeans, lips pursed and eyebrows knit in concentration.


"And there you are," Jongin concluded softly, gently patting the mound of bundled cloth. "You're safe now, no need to worry any longer."


Kyungsoo finally understood what was happening. He stared down into his boyfriend’s dark eyes, water suddenly appearing out of nowhere and clinging like dew to his short lashes. He didn't know why he felt so touched. "Thank you, sir," he whispered. "How will I ever repay you?"


Jongin playfully pondered the thought for a moment, long finger poking into his jaw. The answer seemed to come to him suddenly and his face lit up, mouth gaping open. Kyungsoo thought at that moment, as he looked at his boyfriend’s exaggerated expression, that he was glad Jongin had never so much as thought of pursuing acting as a career. It would just never suit him.

"Your name," he said slowly, enunciating both syllables meticulously. "I want to know your name."


The elder smiled as best as he could through useless tears. "Kyungsoo," he choked in response, because Jongin was an idiot and they were too old for this and he already knew his name and people were staring. But he loved it anyway.


"Kyungsoo," Jongin said the name carefully, nursing it on his tongue as if he didn't want to let go of the second syllable. "Beautiful."
 

And it was there, in front of the petrified stares of clueless pedestrians, that Kyungsoo realized he had been silly. He didn't want a relationship with a thrilling plotline. He didn't need an interesting introduction because this was the . Jongin was the , his loving notions the highest peak of their relationship (at least to Kyungsoo. He was fairly sure that Jongin would have preferred to say the physical intimacy was instead). Because Jongin was perfect and a racing pulse was all the excitement Kyungsoo could ever want. They weren't cookie-cutter. They were one in a million. Kyungsoo and Jongin, one of a kind.


The most perfect man in the world, his own unconventional version of Prince Charming, gripped on to his fingers and looked up at him with the most perfect expression.


"My name is Jongin," he said, voice tender. "Would you like to fall in love with me?"


Kyungsoo laughed through salty tears and reached hands out to run his fingers through soft, dark locks of hair, grabbing gently at the roots as to pull Jongin closer.
 

"I think I already have."

 

A/N: My first EXO one-shot officially posted, though not the first written (the others just didn't turn out...) so excuse me if it's kind of bad. At least I thought it was kind of cute.

This idea woke me up at 1am this morning and kept me up until 2:30am. Granted, it started off as a scene between Jongin and I, but it was easy enough to take myself out and add in Kyungsoo. :P Here's hoping nothing wakes me up tonight. I have to get up early.
Thanks to my lovely friend for beta-ing, I'll just call you J since I can't link you. ;)