Too Late

A Single Moment

YAY UPDATE :).... My first oneshot! Whooo so be pacient. It's LuYoon because they are my OTP... but I like almost all Yoona parinigs so please comment on who you want next!
I promise to do Kyuna next. SWEAR!

Please enjoy. Comment and Subscribe

Freshman year:

One more hour and then he could talk to her. Just one. First he had to get through the numerous piles of letters that were bursting out of his locker. Stupid letters. All they lead to is heartbreak, tears, and unnecessary paper cuts. Luhan was pessimistic, judging, bipolar, and especially hated paper cuts. He was about your average boy, except for the fact that he was popular.

Where was she? She promised she would meet him behind the west gate. She always kept her promises. No, he did not like her. She was always the odd girl who showed up with stuffed animals, ice cream, her loud laugh, and most defiantly her smile. Her smile that could light up anyone’s day. Especially his. He definitely did not like her.

“Dang Luhan. Another really big haul this year!” A smirking boy said to a bronze haired baby faced boy as they opened a locker filled with flowers, notes, and chocolates. It looked like a piñata about to explode.

“You didn’t do that bad either Sehun.” Luhan said rolling his eyes.

“Yeah, but you’re like the IT man of the school. Freshman year and any girl would date you. Any guy wants to be you. All the teachers adore you. Well IT man behind Minho.” Sehun said helping Luhan put all of the notes into his backpack after reading each one. “Why don’t you go out with any of these girls? I mean I would. It is the day of love.”

“If it is Valentine’s day is a day for love, then why don’t you ask out a girl for once. Stop just playing around with them.” Luhan said rolling his eyes. Who was Sehun to explain love to him? Sehun didn’t know anything about love. All he knew was how to flirt and break new hearts. Luhan completely desisted him, but yet they were best friends.

“Why tie myself down? Hey Seohyun wrote you a note! She never liked anyone before!” Sehun said pulling out a fresh note from the bottom of the locker.

“She is the smartest girl in the school and kind of cute. Not my type, but nerdy cute.” Sehun rambled on as he stuffed more cards into Luhan’s backpack as Luhan dutifully looked at each name. Not necessarily what was written, but just the names. He wasn’t sure why, but he was looking for one name. The same name he looked for every year.

“Sehun is that all the cards?” He asked as Sehun stopped stuffing them into his backpack.

“Yeah. Why? Sad you only got about half the school giving you notes?” Sehun teased as he stuffed the rest of the chocolates and flowers the trash can before they walked off to the west gate. This was a first for Luhan. He never really got gifts for Valentine’s Day. He used to be nerdy Luhan and now he was popular basketball player Luhan. One of the most popular guys at school right behind Minho. The rest of the team was unfortunately asking girls out. All of team decided they had someone they wanted to ask out. Not Luhan.

Everyone was excited. Everyone except Luhan. He never really was attracted to girls that way. No he was not gay. He just hadn’t found HER yet. Someone who would make his heart beat faster, make him blush, and make him most of all happy.

No, Mr. Popular Jock Luhan was not happy. Everyone expected him to be, but that was all smoke and mirrors.

“Ahh. I’m still waiting who to ask out. There are so many girls!” Sehun whined as they walked out to see their teammate Siwon handing a jumping girl flowers. “Ah. Young love.”

“Sehun stop talking about love as if you know it.” Luhan said rolling his eyes.

“I do know it.” Sehun said as more screams were heard. “I think I know that scream!”

They looked at each other as they heard another piercing high scream.

“Yuri.” They said at the same time nodding and laughing with each other.

“I guess Minho asked Yuri out.” Sehun said as they got closer to the gate. “Hey aren’t you asking someone out?”

“Nope.” Luhan replied his eyes set on the gate. Was she their yet?

“No? Bro the whole team is.” Sehun said with a disapproving frown.

“Sehun are you asking anyone out?” Luhan asked trying to refrain from rolling his eyes. He was still looking for her.

“No.”

“Why not? You are part of the team.”

“Because you aren’t and we are brothers. If you aren’t I’m not.” Sehun said with a proud smile. Luhan rolled his eyes.

“Afraid to get rejected?”

“No!”

“Haha. Okay then see you later!” Luhan said running to the gate away from Sehun.

“Luhan! Oh so now your leaving me alone! Fine I’ll find Minho then. Unpredictable little brat.” Sehun screamed after him.  Luhan chuckled as he saw Sehun muttering to himself more profanities as he walked away.

“Why are you laughing?” A girl grumbled walking out from behind the gate. Luhan took in her doe eyes hidden behind chunky glasses, her scraggly hair she probably didn’t brush, and her dirty dress (she probably fell again). She wasn’t a pretty sight to see, yet Luhan heart sped up a bit when he saw her. “Oppa don’t even comment on the dress. It wasn’t my fault!”

“I’m not laughing at the dress.” He soothed.

“Good.” She sighed. “Oppa. Why are people so mean in middle school? Why did we have to go to different middle schools? I mean seriously! Is high school like that, because I have to be ready for next year?”

“Yoona…” He said trailing off. He flashed back to Yuri locking Seohyun in the bathroom because they wore the same shirt, to Jessica making fun of the new girl, to his baskeball team teasing the nerds.

“No. High school will be fun.” He lied through his teeth. He hated lying. Especially to her.

“Good. Lulu did you get a lot of love notes this year? Oh! Ice cream! Let’s get ice cream. Do you have practice today?” She said asking questions faster than he could comprehend. He smiled when he heard her nickname for him.  

“No. I didn’t get lots of love notes, yes to ice cream, and no practice today.” He said smoothly. Luhan learned he had to have a quick mind if he wanted to be friend with this young energetic girl. They were friends forever. Practically since they were in diapers, until Luhan got to high school and things changed. Well one was that he was on the basketball team and two is that he became popular. He knew he could be seen with her. Ever again.

“Good!” She cheered as they walked down the road as Luhan trailed behind five steps behind her. How could he break it to her that they couldn’t be friends anymore? Suddenly she ran ahead and he stopped and looked at her as she ran like a deer bounding through a meadow. He couldn’t hurt her.

He was interrupted from his thoughts as he heard her laugh and turn around.

“Lulu I got swings in my backyard! Push me on them!” She yelled.

“Of course I will.” He said with a small half smile and he ran to catch up with her.

 “Oppa! Promise to be my friend forever.” Yoona giggled as she waited for him to catch up. Okay he defiantly liked her a bit. 

“Promise.” He whispered as he remained four steps behind.

Sophomore year:

“Whooo! We are so going to be champions again this year!” Sehun yelled to him as the whole basketball team (plus their girlfriends) cheered around the table. First day of Sophomore year and they were already this confident?

Minho and Yuri were making out in the center of the table, Kai and Siwon were flirting with girls, Onew was eating chicken, and Sehun was babbling to him while he zoned out. Yup, it was going to be just like last year. Except one thing. She was going to be here. He gave her a fake excuse of not being able to walk to school with her because he was invited to go with the team, but he couldn’t avoid her all day. Where was she? It was lunch. She never missed a meal. Luhan sighed in relief. Maybe she didn’t show up today.  Then he saw her running toward him.

“Oppa?” He saw her looking at him with big eyes, but still hidden behind those scratched glasses as she walked up to their table. He could feel all the other tables in the cafeteria silently gasp as a nerd approached the poplar’s table.

“Oppa, sorry I had to stay late to get some notes. Wow this school is so cool! Oppa lunch is almost over and I haven’t eaten. Oppa?” Yoona said tilting her head as Luhan looked away pretending she wasn’t talking to him.

“Dude Luhan who’s the nerd? Let’s go.” Minho asked as the bell rang signaling the end of lunch. The whole team got up and was quickly followed by their girlfriends. A few of them shot Luhan a questioning glances, Yuri looked Yoona up and down before smirking and walking away, and Minho nodded to Yoona to signal to get rid of her. Luhan dreaded this moment. The first day of Sophomore year and up until now he managed to avoid her during school.

“Luhan. Get rid of her. We got an image to uphold. Hurry we have Chem next.” Minho muttered in his ear as he grabbed Yuri’s hand and stood looking at Yoona.

“Oppa?” Yoona asked again quieter as she flinched and took a step back as Yuri glared at her.

“Luhan who is this girl? Are you close to her?” Yuri said in a high pitched voice eyes still on Yoona.

“Nobody.” He mumbled as he stared at the floor not willing to meet her eye. He slowly turned around and followed the rest of his yelling teammates before turning around to look at her a last time.

Disbelief. Confusion. Pain. It was all reflected in her eyes. She scrunched her eyebrows like she did when she was solving a difficult math problem and then turned around slowly and staggered away. Luhan wanted to pull her back. Hug her to his chest like when her neighbor Kyuhyun pulled pranks on her and she needed to be comforted.

Luhan kept walking and he hated himself for it. He did not like her. He couldn’t. Not anymore.

After school that day

He approached her on the swings behind her house. He crept up behind her pondering what to say. What was he supposed to say? What could he say? That he had to ditch her now that he was popular? No.

“I thought we would be friends forever Oppa.” She murmured without turning around.

“How did you know I was here?” He asked as he sat on the swing next to her.

“I’ll always know where you are.” She said simply looking at him.

“Yoong about today…” He started.

“I know we can’t be friends.” She interrupted him. “Yuri told me about the ‘social ladder’ and apparently I’m not high enough for you.”

“Yoong...” He said again.

“Don’t Yoong me! I thought you were better than this. I though you… cared about me.” Yoona spat trailing off at the last part as she looked away.

“I do care about you!” Luhan yelled at her. It felt as if his heart was breaking.

“Apparently not enough! You know what Luhan? One day you will want to be my friend and I will be the one leaving you behind!” She yelled jumping off the swings and running toward her house.

“Yoong!” He yelled trying to catch up, but remained three steps behind as she reached her house.

“Don’t call me that ever again!” She yelled slamming the door, but not before Luhan could see her tears silently dripping down her face.  

Three steps too late.

Junior Year:

“Did you see her?”

“No, but I heard she was hot!”

“No way she was a nerd last year.”

“Do you think she will accept my flowers?”

He could hear the mummers even before he stepped into the school. Who could cause this much commotion? Luhan didn’t care he was looking around for a certain girl. Yoona. He had never apologized. Now was his chance to make things right. He missed her more than he thought he would. Only her memory and the hope that they could become friends again kept him sane. He found out what class she was going to be in and waiting there with a card.

“Luhan? Did you see her?” Sehun asked excitedly.

“What? Who?” He asked trying to look around a gigantic crowd trying to get into Yoona’s new classroom.

“HER! She is like a Goddess. I heard half the school already asked her out!” Sehun squealed as

“Sehun I’m not in the mood. I’m trying to find someone.” Luhan muttered as he pushed around people. He was finally going to apologize. Maybe a year late, but still he had to try.

“There she is!” The crowd yelled and a the hoard of boys ran in the opposite direction. Luhan sighed as he was finally alone and looked for her desk. He made an apology note and was finally going to give it to her.

“Luhan move!” He heard as he was looking around for her desk. He was about to look up to see who spoke to him, but he saw her name on a desk and was about to run and place it there, but was roughly pushed out of the way.

He looked up to see a crowd of boys surrounding a girl whose hair was blocking her face. Who was this new girl? This wasn’t Yuri’s or Jessica’s class. Why would they be here? Then the mystery girl brushed her hair back and Luhan saw a goddess. She had beauty and confidence radiating out of her and Luhan felt that the more he starred at her the more beautiful she became. She looked… familiar.

She looked rather uncertain, but maintained her smile at the same time. She looked like she was ready to run away. Like a deer poised to run, but unsure of the danger. Then she looked up at him and his eyes made contact with her’s. Her doe shaped almond eyes. Luhan felt as if they were pulling him in and calling his name.  He didn’t even know he was walking toward her. To those eyes that held so much happiness and pain. Then they went flat and unemotional. He stepped back in shock. Then she glanced down and looked around at the horde of boys

“Yoona-shi can you call me Oppa? Just try it. Siwon Oppa.”

“Can I call you Yoongie?”

“I can walk you to school tomorrow!”

YOONA? YOONGIE?? No. It couldn’t be Yoona. The Yoona he knew was like one of the boys. Running around and playing. Luhan never really looked into these eyes, for they were always covered with scratched glasses. Now he wish he had. How could that be Yoona?

“Class is about to start. I can talk to you all later. Maybe you guys can talk me to get ice cream.” She said in her old choding manner. It was Yoona.

“Yoona.” He said walking forward to her again.

“Hey Luhan where were you this morning?” Siwon said as he walked almost right next to Yoona.

“Yoona. When??? Why??” Was all that he said.

“Yoona-shi you know this person?” Siwon said tilting his head to the side. Luhan looked at Yoona with pleading eyes. Yoona smiled for a second, but it didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“No.” The single cold word came out of her lips and his stomach dropped.

Luhan’s heart seemed to break. Siglence engulfed him. He didn’t even seem to notice that he was half way out of the room already. He looked down and realized that the note he had was crushed in his palm. He ripped it into two pieces. Two pieces that would never be put back together. Did he like her?

 

 Senior year:

Morning

“Are you going to ask her out? I know you had a major crush on her all of last year! Well, I mean who didn’t, but you’re the one who never showed any interest in girls until she came up.” Sehun asked him as they passed the multiple colorful flyers.

“Why should I? You know she hates me.” His simple replay came out. She did hate him. Everyone knew that popular cheerleader Yoona and popular basketball player Luhan did not get along, and yet everyone thought they looked good together.

 “She doesn’t hate you. She just really really dislikes you and by the way you never told me why.” Sehun said smirking at him

“Nerveless why would I ask her to prom? Its tonight.” Luhan said.

“All the more reason to ask her.” Sehun said. “If you don’t ask her I heard Minho might.”

“Minho is going with Yuri.”

“Yeah, but didn’t you see him going after Yoona all year? We all know if Yoona accepted him he would drop Yuri faster than Yoona can swallow an ice cream cone.” Sehun laughed. Luhan smiled to himself. He remembered all of the new ‘memories’ with Yoona. Forced together at games, outings, and even at lunch. Poplular kids had to do everything together and they were no exception. He remembered the awkward conversations with everyone around over ice cream, yet he smiled, because as long as she was near him he was okay. As long as one day she could become his.

“Sehun. Shut up.” Luhan said before rolling his eyes and walking into class. Sehun was a good friend.

Afternoon

“How could you?”

“What do you mean how could I? You don’t even like her and she asked me!”

“But… You’re my friend!”

“So? If you were my friend you would notice how much I like her! You always hated her!”

Luhan couldn’t feel, hear, or see anything. Everything just felt like pure rage. Sehun and Yoona. Prom. Together. Tonight. It was only then he realized he loved her.

Prom

“Yoona I…” He said awkward trailing off as he talked to her while she slow danced with Sehun. Sehun didn’t even look at him, so all Luhan could do was look at her. Yoona in her beautiful pale pink dress.

“Sehun could you give us a second. I think Luhan wants to talk to me. Can you get me some punch?” Yoona said Sehun. Sehun nodded and glared at him before walking away. She grabbed his hand and pulled him out into the garden. The first skin contact they had in three years. Luhan felt his writst on fire. He looked into her eyes and was speechless.

“Yoona.” He started off.

“Good. You’re not calling me Yoong anymore.” She said coldly.

“Yoona. Please I just…”

“I won.” She said simply looking at him with dead eyes.

“Yoona this isn’t you. What happened to you Yoong?”

“You did this to me. Thanks.” She said looking down. “Yeah sometimes I miss the old me then I remember a friend who broke my heart.”

“Yoona. I’m sorry I….”

“You can’t fix what you did Luhan-shi. Now I will be going back to dance now.” She said looking away.

“YOONG!” He said and pulled her into a hug that he wanted to give the last three years. He felt her hug back for a second and saw a tear in her eye. A flash of the old her. Then poof it disappeared and she pushed him away.

“I told you to never call me that.”

“Yoong. I.. I love you.” He stuttered out. He did. He always did, but this is the first time he said it out loud.

“But I don’t love you. Not anymore.” She whispered.

“Yoong…” He whispered back being pulled in by her eyes.

“You know how much I loved you until you broke my heart?” She whispered as he leaned closer.

“Yoong. I love you know.” He said as he leaned down and their lips were a centimeter apart. His heart sped up. He leaned a bit closer. He loved her. His heart pounded faster. Almost there. He closed his eyes as his lips were about to touch hers, but then she turned away.

“I told you that you would one day would want me and I would leave you behind.” She said in a cold voice before walking back to the dance and leaving Luhan one second too late.