I Like Your Keychain

I Like Your Keychain

 

 

You slump on your seat as your Biology professor rambles on and on about her textbook lecture on the circulatory system. “This system is responsible for carrying out nutrients and…” You prop up your elbow on the table and lay your chin on your hand. You see your seatmate move and you see him slip a note on your desk. You look at the neatly folded piece of paper sitting on top of your Biology book. On the flap facing you is your name. Picking it up, you look to your right, to your seatmate, Yang Yoseob. He shows a small smile, his eyes traveling from your gaze, to the paper in your hands, and then back at you, as if urging you to open it. You unfold the paper and begin to read.

 

Hello ^^

 

Giggling lightly at the randomness of his act, you take out your pen from your bag and scribble a Hi Yoseobbie and slide the note back at him. You see him attempt to hide the paper from your professor. He writes his reply and returns the paper.

 

I like your keychain~

 

You look at the little bear, wearing a hanbok, dangling from the zipper of your bag. ㅋㅋThanks. You write back.

 

Your boyfriend gave it to you?

 

The remark both surprises and intrigues you. You look at him and shake your head. You write, I bought it at this store in the street market at Namdaemun. I don’t have a boyfriend ^^; and wait for the professor to look away before giving him the paper. From the corner of your eye, you see Yoseob try to hide a smile. You bring your attention back to your professor, going on about veins and arteries and blood and try your best to tune in to the lecture. Your attempt fails and the piece of paper lands in front of you again.

 

What store in Namdaemun?

 

You’ve had the keychain for quite some time now. You tap your chin and, finally recalling the name of the store, you write it down, along with the street and the other shops surrounding it. You hand the paper back to Yoseob, whose attention to the lecture has completely gone out the window.

 

Will you go with me there later? ^O^

 

You read his reply and give him a look, as if asking him, Why? I already gave you the exact location.  The moment the professor faces the board to write some notes, he leans to your desk and grabs the paper. You watch him from your periphery, as he seems to struggle with that to put. He positions his pen to write, then pulls back in hesitation. He furrows his eyebrows slightly and puffs his cheeks.

 

You find yourself watching him more intently now. It isn't the first time you saw Yoseob act in such way. After all, he was known for his aegyo. It was only now, however, that you take more notice of his adorableness. His puppy-dog eyes, his button nose, his chubby cheeks, and his admiringly cute face, you never seemed to have paid much attention until now. Yoseob flings the paper back at you, and you realize you had been staring. He looks at you shyly before facing away.

 

I was just looking for an excuse to hang out with you. >3<

 

You read and reread what was written, then look up at him. He glances over his shoulder and meets your eyes. Your face was a mix of slight confusion, amusement, and delight, and he quickly turns away. You see his ears slowly turn red.

 

The bell rings, signaling the end of the class, and ultimately, the end of the school day. Students begin to stand and vacate the classroom. Yoseob starts gathering his books and shoves them in his backpack. He does his best to look at you secretly, but you are aware. You give a small grin and crumple the paper in your hands, and toss it to the trash bin. Yoseob, now looking embarrassed and seemingly frustrated, slings his bag over his shoulder and huffs quietly, muttering something incoherent. He walks to the door, dragging his feet.

 

“Yoseob ah!” You call out.

 

He stops in his tracks and looks back, a confused and shocked expression painted on his face. “Ne?

 

“Where are you going?” You walk up to him, slipping your arms in the straps of your bag. “I thought we were going to Namdaemun?”

 

A smile slowly creeps on Yoseob’s face. He stutters, then clears his throat. Without saying another word, and without wiping the smile off of his face, he takes you by the hand and runs out the corridor.

 

 

 

fin