Movie Recommendations: 1 Litre of Tears

lazy-ssi's Drama/Movie/Music Video Reviews

l_p1004631418.jpg

1 Litre of Tears

 

Sypnosis: 9th grader, Aya Kito, collapses on the way to school. Dr Yamamoto discovers that Aya has spinocerebellar ataxia, a fatal and incurable disease that handicaps the body. Aya’s mother, Shioka Kito, and Dr Yamamoto let Aya record in a diary to tell her story and to live her to the fullest.

 

Cast: Asae Oonishi, Yoshimi Ashikawa, Mitsuo Hamada, Yoneko Matsukane (Film)

Sawajiri Erika, Yakushimaru Hiroko, Nishikido Ryo, Jinnai Takanori, Narumi Riko,Fujiki Naohito, Koide Saori, Sanada Yumi,Miyoshi Ai (TV Series)

 

 

Type: Japanese Film/ Japanese TV series

 

Running time: 98 minutes

 

Note: A memoir of Aya Kito - based on a true story.

 

Thoughts: I first saw this movie back in 2011 and felt that it was very heart-warming and touching. Although I didn't cry as much as I thought I would, I still felt the impact it made on me. I was very touched that this was based on a true story of a brave girl living her life to the fullest. Her diary was published after her death and it has sold out 18 million copies.

After watching the drama version, it made me realize that you should live your life to the fullest because you never know when your last day on earth is. It made me rethink about career options. It made me ponder upon my thoughts of someone in the medical field. It makes me want to be a doctor to find a cure for this disease.

Her story truly touches me everytime I think about it. She was really brave and faced many obstacles and struggles. She is one of my new heroes. This was the first time hearing about spinocerebellar ataxia and it makes me worried about those who suffer with this disease, because  this disease seems like a real struggle that can change your life around completely. I always think, "What if I was the one with the disease?" "What would I do?" "Would I be brave and strong enough to face this?" "Would I be as strong as Aya was?" 

I have put a lot of thought into those questions that I ask myself merely everyday and now I want you guys to think about this too.

If you guys want to watch the drama, click this link:  1 Litre of Tears drama.

After the drama, there is a special episode which could be found here: 1 Litre of Tears Special

The movie version can be found here: 1 Litre of Tears Movie

And last but not least, a touching song from the soundtrack. I used this song for a poetry class and my teacher cried, please read the english translations as you listen:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why did the disease choose me? I cannot carry it, if it’s just for the word “fate”. 

 

 I really don’t want to say things such as “I want to go back as how things were before” . I recognize how I am right now, and I will continue to live on.

 

Don't worry, even if you fall over! It's all right. You can just pick yourself up again. Wehn you fall over, make the most of the chance to look up and see the sky. You will see the blue sky spreading endlessly above you and smiling down. Aya, you are alive! (cr; Aya's diary)

 

 

 


tumblr_lyepfpezmb1ro9l00o1_250.jpg

tumblr_lrafh2swNH1qmymzmo1_500.png